Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spaced: The Movie
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kick in the Head
While promoting her upcoming stand-up gig, Jessica Hynes has mentioned that, while nothing is planned, if Edgar and Simon were game, she would be very happy to do a Spaced movie.

From Chortle:

When asked if there was any chance of any more episodes, she said: ‘Strangely, I’ve just been emailing Simon and, you never know, nothing’s out of the question. I loved playing Daisy, so who knows?’

And of the movie she added: ‘If Simon and Edgar were up for it, I definitely would be. So there you go, I’m putting that out there. I would be very up for doing a Spaced movie.

‘How great would that be! Why not? Let’s do it!’

More here.
Svein
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 11 2008, 11:15 AM)
While promoting her upcoming stand-up gig, Jessica Hynes has mentioned that, while nothing is planned, if Edgar and Simon were game, she would be very happy to do a Spaced movie.

From Chortle:
More here.

Do you think a Spaced movie would work?
dolfyn
If anyone could make it work, it's our favourite team. cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
Sostie
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Jun 11 2008, 11:34 AM)
If anyone could make it work, it's our favourite team.  cool.gif

What, Liverpool? Steven Gerrad is a great midfielder but I would never trust him with organising a film adaptation of a popular TV series. Dirk Kuyt perhaps.
dolfyn
^ I know not this thing of which you speak. I'm a bloody Aussie, mate! tongue.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Svein @ Jun 11 2008, 11:20 AM)

No. The ship's sailed a bit hasn't it?

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 11 2008, 11:45 AM)
a populat TV series.  Dirk Kuyt perhaps.

This looks like it has more spelling mistakes in it than it actually does.
rebelstar
QUOTE (Svein @ Jun 11 2008, 11:20 AM)

It's been seven years, so it'd probably have to be a 'where are they now' which has the potential to be all kinds of rubbish. Move on, people...
Sostie
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jun 11 2008, 11:49 AM)
This looks like it has more spelling mistakes in it than it actually does.

I really am quite shit at this typing lark.
Raven
Didn't someone [on stage] at the BFI event say that a film wouldn't work, because the thing about Spaced was that it bought the big screen feel to the small screen, and that on the big screen the impact of that effect would be lost? (or something of that ilk?).

It will be interesting to see what they come up with, should something go ahead, but at the same time I'm also in the "time's really move on now" camp.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 11 2008, 11:57 AM)
I really am quite shit at this typing lark.

It's just that Dirk Kyut's name looks like it's been mispelled even when it hasn't/
Jon 79
I remember in 2003 just before they started filing SOTD, they were saying a 3rd series was probably out, but if they did any more Spaced, it'd be an hour special.

Then last year, Edgar said in an interview he'd still be up for revisiting those characters again... and gave the example of Before Sunrise/Sunset as something that still works with original characters much older, years later.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 11 2008, 12:02 PM)
Didn't someone [on stage] at the BFI event say that a film wouldn't work, because the thing about Spaced was that it bought the big screen feel to the small screen, and that on the big screen the impact of that effect would be lost? (or something of that ilk?).

It will be interesting to see what they come up with, should something go ahead, but at the same time I'm also in the "time's really move on now" camp.

I seem to recall something along those lines, yes. And I'm ditto re: a movie.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 11 2008, 12:21 PM)
I seem to recall something along those lines, yes. And I'm ditto re: a movie.

But a feature length TV episode??
Sostie
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 01:10 PM)

We find them all working in the same department store, they have a work's holiday to Spain and find the hotel is only semi-built. And there is a chimp working as a waiter.

It writes itself.
rebelstar
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 01:10 PM)

Kind of like what they did with This Life +10? I'd really prefer that they didn't bother.
Rua
I reckon, just leave it.
Jon 79
Don't talk like that. (*whispers* What if Edgar's reading this?)

If they made more Spaced, (which they probably won't), and if it's not as good as the 1st series (which it won't be, cos most (but not all) of the second series isn't even that good#), then it will still be awesome anyway in the hands of Pegg, Hynes & Wright. It'd still be Spaced and couldn't possibly devalue the first 2 series in the way some sequels do because,...well ... it's Spaced, ...it's awesome.

#This bit is a matter of opinion. Everything else I've said is fact.
Baz
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 12:26 PM)
Kind of like what they did with This Life +10? I'd really prefer that they didn't bother.

I think I agree.

As much as I love Spaced, I think it's time has been and gone. Adding to it may just spoil the over all greatness of the show, if the movie/hour special turns out to be crap.

We should just cherish it for what it is and leave it at that.
Jon 79
QUOTE (Baz @ Jun 11 2008, 02:01 PM)
I think I agree.

As much as I love Spaced, I think it's time has been and gone. Adding to it may just spoil the over all greatness of the show, if the movie/hour special turns out to be crap.

We should just cherish it for what it is and leave it at that.

How could a Spaced movie/hour special be crap?
... How? ....
And once you've explained yourself there, how is that going to spoil the overall greatness of the show? ... Spaced is better than that.
If edgar wright submitted an hours footage of a turd on a shovel to channel 4 (with ad breaks) and called it Spaced, is that really going to affect your love of the show (the original show... not the turd on a shovel)?

I'd really love to see more.

I know every thing has it's cut of point. They always said it was 3 series. That was enough for Father Ted, Bottom, Black Books,...
rebelstar
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 02:33 PM)
How could a Spaced movie/hour special be crap?
... How?  ....

The second series of Spaced was broadcast 7 years ago - the characters (and actors) are older. They would have moved on, so a special just wouldn't be Spaced as we know it. How about this : Tim's a successful Comic Book artist, Daisy's a 'proper' journalist, Mike owns a Security Firm operating in Iraq, Brian's a respected artist, Twist finally got a job in fashion, and Marsha (cirrhosis) and Tyres (overdose) are both dead. Sound good to you?

QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 02:33 PM)
And once you've explained yourself there, how is that going to spoil the overall greatness of the show?  ... Spaced is better than that.
If edgar wright submitted an hours footage of a turd on a shovel to channel 4 (with ad breaks) and called it Spaced, is that really going to affect your love of the show (the original show... not the turd on a shovel)?

In that case, why was there such outrage about a US remake? By your argument, no matter how utterly shite it would have been, it wouldn't have tarnished the reputation of the original.
Sostie
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 03:08 PM)
In that case, why was there such outrage about a US remake? By your argument, no matter how utterly shite it would have been, it wouldn't have tarnished the reputation of the original.

Regardless of the quality of the final product I think the main problem with the remake was the disrespect actually shown toward the creators, the initial declaration that they were somehow backing the idea when they weren't and the complete disregard of Jessica Hyne's involvement in the original.
Raven
The second series of Spaced was broadcast 7 years ago - the characters (and actors) are older. They would have moved on, so a special just wouldn't be Spaced as we know it. How about this : Tim's a successful Comic Book artist, Daisy's a 'proper' journalist, Mike owns a Security Firm operating in Iraq, Brian's a respected artist, Twist finally got a job in fashion, and Marsha (cirrhosis) and Tyres (overdose) are both dead. Sound good to you?

They might have children as well, that never works!
rebelstar
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 11 2008, 03:43 PM)
Regardless of the quality of the final product I think the main problem with the remake was the disrespect actually shown toward the creators, the initial declaration that they were somehow backing the idea when they weren't and the complete disregard of Jessica Hyne's involvement in the original.

Good point, and I know that's a large part of it, but I suspect the main reason for many people's outrage was that there was a fairly good chance it would be pants.
widowspider
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 03:07 PM)
Good point, and I know that's a large part of it, but I suspect the main reason for many people's outrage was that there was a fairly good chance it would be pants.

Aye - it was mainly the shitty way that Jess, Simon et al were treated, but also a certain protectiveness of a show I love a lot being turned into something less than its name deserved that caused my annoyed-ness. I realise that's somewhat silly, but was how I felt nonetheless. smile.gif
rebelstar
QUOTE (widowspider @ Jun 11 2008, 04:18 PM)
Aye - it was mainly the shitty way that Jess, Simon et al were treated, but also a certain protectiveness of a show I love a lot being turned into something less than its name deserved that caused my annoyed-ness. I realise that's somewhat silly, but was how I felt nonetheless. smile.gif

It's not at all silly, and was really my point - NewSpaced, if it disappointed (and, even done by Simon, Jess et all, there would be ridiculously high expectations that would be almost impossible to satisfy), would tarnish the memory, and the show, just that little bit.
Rua
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 01:47 PM)
Don't talk like that.  (*whispers* What if Edgar's reading this?)

That's true.

Edgar?

Just leave it.
mousespider
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 11:28 AM)
It's not at all silly, and was really my point - NewSpaced, if it disappointed (and, even done by Simon, Jess et all, there would be ridiculously high expectations that would be almost impossible to satisfy), would tarnish the memory, and the show, just that little bit.

I really don't think that's possible. If Simon and co. really wanted to do it they wouldn't allow it to tarnish the memory in the slightest. Spaced is extremely important to them, and they know how important it is to the fans, so they would be dedicated to making something that would add to the show, not take away.
Raven
I would say rebelstar is right.

New Spaced now - if it did turn out to be below par - probably would affect how I view the original two series, whether I wanted it too or not.

This isn't a prequels rant, but it's like watching the original Star Wars trilogy again after watching the prequels. Regardless of how you feel about the quality of the prequels, you now have more information in your head about the characters involved so, when you see scenes such as Vader and Luke talking on Endor, you can't help thinking about Anakin when he was younger and the choices he made.

If a mediocre version of Spaced was made now, showing Tim and Daisy in the future, the brilliant way that series two plays out - that always leaves a smile on my face - would be affected by the knowledge of what happened next - there's no way I would view the original episodes in quite the same way again.

I'm sure Simon, Jessica and Edgar wont go ahead with a continuation of Spaced unless they are sure that they will do the characters justice, but nobody hits the mark every time, and there is simply no way they can guarantee another slice of fried gold.
widowspider
Absolutely - as much as I miss those characters and wish there was more of them, I'd be as hesitant as they seem to be about delving into their lives 10 years down the road. You don't want to fuck with something that is held in such high regard by so many people, and something you would (rightly) feel incredibly proud of.

That said, if they did make a special or something, I'd be retardedly excited, and hope/assume that they would not disappoint. They very rarely have. smile.gif
Zoe
How about an American remake?
shaka37
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 11 2008, 08:28 AM)

Talk about history repeating itself. Tim's diatribe about Star Wars says it all for me. Amost every director who's tried to recapture a past glory has failed to meet the expectation.

I kinda like that Edgar moves forward with the actors in new and totally different ventures. We all see little bits of 'Spaced' in his movies even if they aren't 'Spaced' themselves. There's a little Tim in Shaun and Nicholas Angel. You can rarely and successfully homage yourself and Edgar has done it.

As far as I'm concerned, Edgar can rest on a giant cushy chair made of his own laurels for all time as long as he can continue to churn out awesome movies with this terrific group of actors he's assembled.
logger
They could do Spaced: The Next Generation like they did with Saved By The Bell. Brian could be Screech.
Sostie
Or Spaced: The Revenge where a recently widowed Daisy is hunted half way round the world by a great white while Michael Caine suns himself on a yacht and counts his money.
Jon 79
the characters (and actors) are older. They would have moved on, so a special just wouldn't be Spaced as we know it. How about this : Tim's a successful Comic Book artist, Daisy's a 'proper' journalist, Mike owns a Security Firm operating in Iraq, Brian's a respected artist, Twist finally got a job in fashion, and Marsha (cirrhosis) and Tyres (overdose) are both dead. Sound good to you?

Sounds good to me. Just cram it with some cool pop culture, throw in a load of whip-pans & crash-zooms, and I'll be as happy as Larry. biggrin.gif ...however happy he is.
maian
I agree with rebelstar, Raven and all the other ''just leave it'' people. As much as I love the original series and it's characters, I'd prefer it if it were left alone; the two series that already exist are a pretty perfect little parcel and any continuation would have to be utterly amazing to possibly top them. If they can deliver something utterly amazing, then that'd be fantastic, but I still think that Series 2 ended in the perfect way and that any attempt to follow it, however good, would mar that in my mind.
Sostie
For all our speculation and opinion it was just really a throwaway question by the interviewer at the very end of the piece. There was no indication that Jess had even considered the idea until she was put on the spot.
Jon 79
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 11 2008, 08:56 PM)
I agree with rebelstar, Raven and all the other ''just leave it'' people. As much as I love the original series and it's characters, I'd prefer it if it were left alone; the two series that already exist are a pretty perfect little parcel and any continuation would have to be utterly amazing to possibly top them. If they can deliver something utterly amazing, then that'd be fantastic, but I still think that Series 2 ended in the perfect way and that any attempt to follow it, however good, would mar that in my mind.

What about their plan to pan out the story of Tim & Daisy getting together?
What about the fact that Simon & Jess have already written the first scene of what was going to be series 3?
What if they all said it was actually going ahead (they've all said it'd be nice to go back to Spaced eventually), that they'd spent a couple of months writing already & they were more than happy with the way it was going?... Would you then still not want them to make it?
.... For shame on all of yous. Get outta my forum!!!

...^ sorry, I went over the top a bit there.

I used to be a massive Red Dwarf fan. I was always excited by the news that a new series was being made. The production crew (and budget) varied from series to series, and the actors got older... but the quality was still there. ...Until 1997 when Rob Grant(one of the writers) left. Most people agree series 7 & 8 were pants.
What I'm saying is, a series can still be as good as it's origins so long as it has the same creative team behind it.
If Simon and Jess (& Edgar) did write more Spaced, you wouldn't want to know?
Series 2 did end perfectly, (as all non-cliffhanger series should) but it was always on the cards that they'd make a 3rd. ... they just got ... distracted ...by some zombies.

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 11 2008, 09:07 PM)
For all our speculation and opinion it was just really a throwaway question by the interviewer at the very end of the piece.  There was no indication that  Jess had even considered the idea until she was put on the spot.

True. But it's nice that its sparked the debate again.
angle
Just leave it??? oh you defeatists, a few weeks ago i may have agreed but sifting through various interviews of the spaced team has shown that they all would still be up for it, it's just time and other commitments that have stopped it happening, as for them being too old or time has moved on too much NADGERS to that,Big Sweaty Hairy NADGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spaced was always about real life with an overlay of surreal movie silliness, the whole point in going back to it IF.... they ever did would be to show what life and the world has done to the characters.
Its not like they are wrinkly old pensioners or anything, and obviously revisiting them would have to invlove more movie pastiche (if thats the right word, mm that made me think of pasties mmmmh pasties).

theres so much scope for Spaced to work as a movie, it doesnt just need to be them sitting in the flat eating jaffa cakes and wasting away, the story and sub plot possibilities are huge and endless and this would be the time to start planning it.

the hype over Spaced has never gone away, like a soapy hair ball in the shower drain it's grown and grown, remember it's only just been released officially in the US with the blessing of some of the coolest directors and comedians over there and all this McSpaced McGuffins has just focused even more attention on it.
We all know the guys wouldnt do it if they thought it was out of steam or past it's sell by date, so why are they still selling the origonal so hard??
Why did they screen the originals only last year on big screen?? did it work on the big screen?? well? eh? hmmmh? course!! so there!

No actually thinking about it your probably right it'll never work ho hum!!
Raven
QUOTE (Jon 79 @ Jun 11 2008, 09:22 PM)
If Simon and Jess (& Edgar) did write more Spaced, you wouldn't want to know?

I don't think anyone has said that, people are simply stating their reservations about going back to the well once to often.

More does not necessarily equate to being a good thing (for examples see: Star Wars, Babylon 5, Star Trek and just about every long running film franchise still going . . .).

What about their plan to pan out the story of Tim & Daisy getting together?

Sometimes less is more, not every "i" has to be dotted, or "t" crossed.
empathy-with-beast
I think the big screen to small screen thing is very true.
LoneWolf
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 12 2008, 10:08 AM)
Sometimes less is more, not every "i" has to be dotted, or "t" crossed.

That's true. I had a teacher once who didn't dot her i's. I used to dot them for her sometimes. She was one of the best damn teachers I ever had.

Spaced Movie? If they do it, awesome. If they don't, I ain't bothered. I'm sure they could pull it off if they decided to go ahead with it, and I'm sure I'd love it.
Jon 79
QUOTE (LoneWolf @ Jun 11 2008, 11:49 PM)
I'm sure they could pull it off if they decided to go ahead with it,

Exactly. That's exactly what I mean. I can understand people not wanting them to spoil it... but I don't believe that would ever happen.
Zoe
Fingers crossed for a prequel.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 11 2008, 11:54 PM)
Fingers crossed for a prequel.

Now you're talking!

See, I'm not the kind of guy who thinks stuff gets tainted by sequels, remakes, spin-offs or what have you. Everything is its own entity. So if more Spaced came round the corner I would definitely see it and I have absolute faith that it would both honour and build upon the existing episodes. I don't see it as necessary or something I actively hanker for. But if it means an end to "Is there gonna be any more Spaced?" questions, then so be it.
Heff
QUOTE (shaka37 @ Jun 12 2008, 05:21 AM)
Talk about history repeating itself. Tim's diatribe about Star Wars says it all for me. Amost every director who's tried to recapture a past glory has failed to meet the expectation.

I kinda like that Edgar moves forward with the actors in new and totally different ventures. We all see little bits of 'Spaced' in his movies even if they aren't 'Spaced' themselves. There's a little Tim in Shaun and Nicholas Angel. You can rarely and successfully homage yourself and Edgar has done it.

As far as I'm concerned, Edgar can rest on a giant cushy chair made of his own laurels for all time as long as he can continue to churn out awesome movies with this terrific group of actors he's assembled.
If Edgar is moving forward in totally different ventures, how can there be a bit of Spaced in all his movies? And how exactly is Nicholas Angel a bit like a lazy graphic artist?

I think of it as a career. E Ball's been directing for a while now, and he's got his favourite techniques. He used them in Dead Right, Asylum, Spaced, Shaun, Hot Fuzz, and he'll continue to use them - in original ways. The writing of Spaced, Shaun and Hot Fuzz drew from a lot of sources (some say copied, we says payed homage too) and the directing was different and fresh each time. If they did revist Spaced, would EW try to direct it the same way as he did the tv show? Would the Peggster and Hottie Hynes try to write it in the same way? If they all copied the formula of the tv show, it could come across as stale. If they didn't recreate the formula, would fans be disappointed?

The guys can write. The man can direct. I want them to create instead of re-hashing. Maybe they can do that with Spaced. Maybe not.

Spaced: The Early Years. Watch two total strangers do normal things and not meet! Starring Haley Joel Osment as Timothy Bisley, and Dakota Fanning as Daisy Steiner
rebelstar
As a slight aside - can anyone think of a show (or film) that they really loved which was revisited after a gap of several years and didn't disappoint at least a little? Nothing springs to my mind, but there must be some out there, surely? Eh?
Raven
I was actually trying to think of a revisited series that didn't suck yesterday - I drew a blank . . .
Jubear
I quite enjoyed the movie version of The X Files and am looking forward to the second one being released this year.

The world has changed alot over the last seven years or so and I would be interested in seeing how that would affect a new series or movie, if it happens. But I wont hold my breath, as each of them have terrific careers and probably don't have the time to write anything.

But it is always fun to speculate.
Sostie
QUOTE (rebelstar @ Jun 12 2008, 10:48 AM)
As a slight aside - can anyone think of a show (or film) that they really loved which was revisited after a gap of several years and didn't disappoint at least a little? Nothing springs to my mind, but there must be some out there, surely? Eh?

Battlestar Galactica? Doctor Who?
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 12 2008, 11:47 AM)
Battlestar Galactica?  Doctor Who?

They were more reboots, than re-visitations, though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.