Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Sir_Robin_the_brave
If there's no Snake I'm not interested.

Maybe they'll find another character who coincidentally sounds a lot like David Haytner.

I could possibly handle another prequel but really I think a downward spiral is likely to follow, especially if Kojima isn't involved.
fatseff1234
Maybe, but i think it'd breathe a breath of fresh air onto the game. Think about the resident evil series for example...

Boobs!
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 15 2008, 05:59 PM) *
Maybe, but i think it'd breathe a breath of fresh air onto the game. Think about the resident evil series for example...

No, no, no.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the only good Resi games are 0, 1, 2 and 3. I hate the new direction it's gone in.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 15 2008, 05:27 PM) *
No, no, no.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the only good Resi games are 0, 1, 2 and 3. I hate the new direction it's gone in.

Noooooo!

Resident Evil 4 was the best game of the last generation. It may not be typical Resi but it's still damn good fun and has lots of shine and boobs and mmmm Ashley...

Ahem, anyway, games, yeah, games. Resi 4 pisses all over the other entries in the series. Although I do admit the Zombies were missed muchly.

I'm hoping for atleast one "Zombie" section in 5 along with the voodoo goodness.
GundamGuy_UK
Making a 3rd person shooter and slapping a familiar character from another game ≠ Resident Evil.

It's changed too much from the original idea to be classed as the same game.
monkeyman
I'm with gundam on this one. I remember being blown away by Resi 4 the first time I played it, but thinking about it as a Resi game? It's last all sense of what the series was about to me. Also a second playthrough I just didn't enjoy....
weputthemdown583
I am also a huge fan of the resi games, i love them all, except the horrible code veronica gun survivor, eurgh crazy4.gif
I do prefer the old style games, but i also love the new direction seen in 4 and 5. It's still resi to me happy.gif
logger
I played 4 again recently and it's still greeeaaat.
fatseff1234
I agree that it's not really a resi game. The death of the humble zombie did that.

It's still fucking amazing though.
GundamGuy_UK
Dead Aim is an example of Resident Evil being turned into a 3rd person shooter, and it still feeling like Resi. And I love it because of that.

Just a shame it's so short/easy. If 4 had been like Dead Aim, I'd have liked it.
monkeyman
Rhianna Pratchett to pen the stories for the next three Overlord titles, Overlord II, Overlord Dark Legend for the Wii, and Overlord Minions for the DS.

I didn't even know Terry had a daughter....I saw Pratchett and got excited thinking it was Terry but sadly not (especially not because of his condition).

EDIT:She also seems to have something to do with the writing in mirrors edge,t hough it looks like it's the supplementary comic rather than the actual game.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Yeah she's a freelance writer, used to work as a journalist for PC Zone magazine. I met her at a game developer conference a couple of years ago, but I didn't know at the time whether there was any relation to Terry.

Also, apparently there's a trailer for Bioshock 2 at the end of the PS3 version of the original.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Oct 16 2008, 04:42 PM) *
Yeah she's a freelance writer, used to work as a journalist for PC Zone magazine.

I remember that. I've not bought PC Zone in years. The last one I got was the review of Half-Life 2, and that was a special purchase. I stopped getting every month in 2002 I think.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 16 2008, 04:45 PM) *
I remember that. I've not bought PC Zone in years. The last one I got was the review of Half-Life 2, and that was a special purchase. I stopped getting every month in 2002 I think.

I stopped getting it since I don't really buy PC games any more. It was a very good magazine though, Charlie Brooker used to write for it too.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Oct 16 2008, 04:48 PM) *
I stopped getting it since I don't really buy PC games any more. It was a very good magazine though, Charlie Brooker used to write for it too.

He did, in his dirty vest on the back page. I still think of him as the guy from PC Zone when I see him.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Oct 16 2008, 04:42 PM) *
Also, apparently there's a trailer for Bioshock 2 at the end of the PS3 version of the original.

Here's some shaky cam footage

It doesn't reveal anything though and is a bit rubbish really.
logger
With all the talk recently I decided to give Dead Rising another go and it is a bit shit, isn't it.
GundamGuy_UK
The PlayStation Store is being redesigned. One can only hope it's to accommodate the required levels of awesomeness of having Metal Gear Solid on PSP.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 16 2008, 09:04 PM) *
With all the talk recently I decided to give Dead Rising another go and it is a bit shit, isn't it.

*Sigh* I give up.
frostitute
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 16 2008, 08:33 PM) *
*Sigh* I give up.

I also recently decided to give Dead Rising another go and it is a bit amazing, isn't it.
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 16 2008, 10:25 PM) *
The PlayStation Store is being redesigned. One can only hope it's to accommodate the required levels of awesomeness of having Metal Gear Solid on PSP.

You can no waccess it from your PSP,joy. And they really need to up the amount of PS1 classics on the Euopean store,t he Yank store has all sorts of win and ours has fuck all. If they really wanted to make a shit ton of money they would get MGS1 and FF7 on the store,

EDIT:and Xenogears,

EDIT2:and Chrono Trigger

EDIT3: Oh man and Tenchu.

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 17 2008, 01:33 AM) *
*Sigh* I give up.

I think I'd like to retract my opinion until I have played through a second time. it won't happen for a long time if ever as there is too much awesome coming out, but I can see how it would improve with seubsequent plays. Even if I hate the timing constraints.
Nonus Aequilibrium
This is the problem, when you make a game you want people to be grabbed by it straight away, people are far more likely to tolerate tedious or annoying bits in the middle or near the end than right at the beginning. Dead Rising becomes more fun once you've got your character level up, but until then it's a bit frustrating, and it's the kind of hurdle most people don't want to have to get over before getting stuck into a game. Personally I thought it was worth it, I thought Dead Rising was one of the most enjoyable games on the 360, but it's one of those games where if you go into it looking for a reason to not like it, you'll probably find one. The timing system seemed a bit of a pain in the arse to me when I started playing it, but then I realised that it was part of the game, not a limitation of it, and it adds a bit of strategy should you choose to go for the 50 survivor achievement.
Jimmay
I had a go on the Tom Clancy End War demo last night and its pretty interesting. It's a RTS game but you're in amongst the action but whats really interesting about it is the way you command your units. It uses voice commands which, amazingly, actually work, and make the whole thing much easier to cope with. Instead of having to quickly select units and move them to different parts of the map with the analog sticks which is the major limitation of console RTS's, you use voice commands instead and it makes the whole thing a lot smoother to play.
monkeyman
I realise I could look about and find out, but i'm interested in finding out from a "real" person. How do you assign squads and then command them?

like, can you create a squadron of say 5 tanks, 4 humvees and some other units, Call them Squadron two and then....how do you command them to move to a certain location and attack a specific target?
Jimmay
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 17 2008, 12:16 PM) *
I realise I could look about and find out, but i'm interested in finding out from a "real" person. How do you assign squads and then command them?

like, can you create a squadron of say 5 tanks, 4 humvees and some other units, Call them Squadron two and then....how do you command them to move to a certain location and attack a specific target?

You have squads along the bottom so, a squad of tanks, a squad of riflemen etc. and they are assigned a number. You then say something like:

UNIT: 1: MOVE TO: FOXTROT
or
UNIT: 2: ATTACK: HOSTILE: 3

Because all of the allied units are grouped already and the hostiles are also assigned numbers as well then it eliminates the need to assign your own groupings. Not sure whether it will work very well in a full game but the demo is pretty interesting.
monkeyman
That sounds pretty damn cool. i think it'd be interesting to see what online skirmishes are like as well.
logger
My problem with DR is the piss poor control system, the intrusive cut scenes, for a game in a mall full of zombies it seems to go out of it's way to stop me playing and actually have some fun, and the cheapness of not having voice actors and instead communicating with the world's smallest subtitles. Other than that it's alright.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 17 2008, 01:46 PM) *
My problem with DR is the piss poor control system,

The default for guns is to aim where the character's looking when you go into aim mode as opposed to where your camera was looking. You can switch that to the more sensible mode in the options, but why the other one is the default I have no idea.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Capcom do love their wacky control systems.

I didn't think to look to change it in the options. D'oh.
logger
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Oct 17 2008, 01:57 PM) *
The default for guns is to aim where the character's looking when you go into aim mode as opposed to where your camera was looking. You can switch that to the more sensible mode in the options, but why the other one is the default I have no idea.

That's the least of its problems.
Jubei
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 17 2008, 11:57 AM) *
I had a go on the Tom Clancy End War.

I'm quite looking forward to Tom Clancy's Hawx as well. It's on my possibles list for November releases. I hadn't really considered End War, but if there's a demo I might have to give it a go.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Jubei @ Oct 17 2008, 02:25 PM) *
I'm quite looking forward to Tom Clancy's Hawx as well. It's on my possibles list for November releases. I hadn't really considered End War, but if there's a demo I might have to give it a go.

Its a big file so it'll take a while to download. I haven't heard anything about Hawx? Whats that one about? There are so many games coming out over the coming weeks that there's no possible way I can play them all. Fable 2, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty World at War, Farcry 2 (which looks amazing by the way). There aren't enough hours in the day.
Jubei
Hawx is a jet combat game. Set a bit in the future I think. Like yousaid, there's a lot coming out over the next couple of months.
weputthemdown583
I downloaded a demo of a game called World of Goo.

Its a beautiful puzzle game which is graphically reminiscent of loco roco.

The gameplay is sorta like Lemmings. You must build bridges, towers and other structures to overcome gravity and various terrain difficulties such as chasms, hills, spikes or cliffs.

Its such a beautiful looking and sounding game, I recommend you check out the demo smile.gif

Here's the trailer

And the demo is available here
weputthemdown583
Aaaaaaaaaaaand i've just gone ahead and bought the full game!

12 well spent i think smile.gif
GundamGuy_UK
Good God going through Ravenholm using nothing but the gravity gun is scary and hard...

Being chased by loads of Fast Zombies with nothing to throw, terrifying.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (weputthemdown583 @ Oct 17 2008, 04:25 PM) *
I downloaded a demo of a game called World of Goo.

Its such a beautiful looking and sounding game, I recommend you check out the demo smile.gif

Aww, it looks cute and awesome! happy.gif
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 17 2008, 05:58 PM) *
Good God going through Ravenholm using nothing but the gravity gun is scary and hard...

Being chased by loads of Fast Zombies with nothing to throw, terrifying.

I had to uninstall Steam recently,I was trying to delete the Might and Magic multiplayer but it got stuck in some kind of loop and took up 26 Gig, then 34, then 42...everytime I attempted to uninstall it. So I just got rid of steam.
Wait, anyway my point was I think I might reinstall and play HL2. It'll give me something to do now that LittleBigplanet has been delayed due to the fact in the background of one of the music tracks there are some lines from the Quran which could be taken as a bit...offensive

1- In the 18th second: "كل نفس ذائقة الموت" ("kollo nafsin tha'iqatol mawt", literally: 'Every soul shall have the taste of death').

2- Almost immediately after, in the 27th second: "كل من عليها فان" ("kollo man alaiha fan", literally: 'All that is on earth will perish').
Crazyness.
weputthemdown583
Little Big Planet has been delayed???? sad.gif

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
GundamGuy_UK
Every soul shall have the taste of death
All that is on earth will perish

How on Earth could they have thought that was a good idea?
monkeyman
It was apparantly just the background singing of one of the tracks they used, I guess it's similar to using something with like, Gregorian chanting or something. They really should have looke dinto it to see what was being said, but the song itself is actually a happy sounding track.
Bit silly of them really.
Atara
People are so sensitive, if it wasn't from the qu'ran no one would give a toss. Bet if it was a christian rock band spewing similar shite from the bible no one would bat an eyelid.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 18 2008, 09:37 AM) *
It was apparantly just the background singing of one of the tracks they used, I guess it's similar to using something with like, Gregorian chanting or something. They really should have looke dinto it to see what was being said, but the song itself is actually a happy sounding track.
Bit silly of them really.

Apparently the composer is Muslim himself, and quite a famous guy in the Muslim community. Which makes it strange that he'd not think there'd be a reaction.

Unless he's a 360 man... tongue.gif

It's only been delayed for a week, right? It's not that bad really.
sweetbutinsane
I'm getting rather excited for Fable 2 now. I can't decide whether to buy it out of my birthday money or wait and ask for it for Christmas...
Rua
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Oct 17 2008, 10:49 PM) *
Crazyness.

Yet nothing that isn't technically true.
logger
QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 18 2008, 11:50 AM) *

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with it, everyone is going to die and the world will eventually perish, it's not like it's saying there gonna put jihad on peoples asses.
monkeyman
Meh, guess they're just playing it safe.

In othe rnews, I had a go at that voice controlled Endwar that was mentioned earlier. It was quite interesting, though I think I'd prefer it if there was a command to make all units attack/move to the same place. As it is (unless I missed it) you have to say "Unit one move to foxtrot, Unit 2 move to Foxtrot, Unit 3 move to foxtrot".
The voice recognition is very good, but I doubt it'll be something I pick up.
Atara
QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 18 2008, 11:50 AM) *

That's what I said.
Rua
QUOTE (Atara @ Oct 18 2008, 04:44 PM) *
That's what I said.

So you did.
Atara
QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 18 2008, 04:55 PM) *
So you did.

Wait, huh?

I don't mean on here, I mean to Chris when he told me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.