Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Jubei
I like the idea of sneaky stealthy games, but I also get bored of them. I enjoyed MGS on PS1, but was bored by the sequel, I hated Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, but enjoyed Chaos Theory - especially co-op, and I did enjoy Assassins creed, but more the escaping than the stealthing.

The stealth games I would say I've most enjoyed are - and these aren't traditional stealth games, but they do require a lot of crawling, observing and silent killing - are the GRAW games. And the old Commandos games. They were great stealthy games too.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Jubei @ Aug 8 2008, 09:29 AM)
And the old Commandos games.  They were great stealthy games too.

Commandos was absolutely wicked, I agree entirely.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (frostitute @ Aug 8 2008, 02:59 AM)
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - get on it!

I agree, Chaos Theory is awesome (great music by Amon Tobin too - someone should let him score a Bond movie)

I've not played Assassin's Creed, but from what I've heard I'll probably give it a miss.
Nonus Aequilibrium
I'm not sure why Assassin's Creed even qualifies as "stealth" because you spend all your time wandering around in full view of hundreds of people. All "stealth" requires in that game is holding down the B button so that you walk slower and guards who were just about to want to kill you suddenly lose interest. Because clearly someone walking slightly faster than everyone else is a clear indication that he's up to no good. If you're armed to the teeth with throwing knives, swords, a hood over your face etc, that's all perfectly normal as long as you're not walking too fast, apparently.

On the plus side, Jade Raymond is outrageously hot.

My Rock Band drums just arrived, it's trickier than it looks, although I did have a go on Enter Sandman on expert as only my second attempt ever at the game and managed to get 65% before I failed, which I was quite happy about.
Jubei
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 8 2008, 02:16 PM)
I'm not sure why Assassin's Creed even qualifies as "stealth"...

All valid points, but a lot of the game at least makes an attempt at pointing you towards taking the quiet route. Sliping over walls, and over beams, rather than just barging in. Admittedly it drops this by the end. Perhaps not stealth, but threat avoidance.
Llama
I just picked up Gears of War for 9.98 from my local Blockbuster. Having never played it before but heard lots of good things, I'm looking forward to giving it a go later!
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Llama @ Aug 8 2008, 03:38 PM)
I just picked up Gears of War for 9.98 from my local Blockbuster. Having never played it before but heard lots of good things, I'm looking forward to giving it a go later!

It's the manilest game ever made. Everyone is built like a car and you can't so much as climb over a small ledge without your whole team going "NRRRRG GRRR ERRRGG!"

It's very, very good and fun, but works best in small doses because the gameplay is very much "walk along, trigger enemy spawn, take cover and kill them all, move on". The missions are slightly varied and have some great moments, and it's extremely bloody.

Also best played in Co-Op (not the supermarket) if you can.
Omniscia
Damn, Julie, get that Rock Band issue sorted! Dave and I rocked the joint, for the most part. Wish you could've joined us.

QUOTE (bump909 @ Aug 7 2008, 09:28 PM)
you haven't played Assassin's Creed?!

I've got it, but it's in the backlog...

QUOTE (frostitute @ Aug 7 2008, 09:59 PM)
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - get on it!

Ditto.
Julie
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 8 2008, 04:53 PM)
Damn, Julie, get that Rock Band issue sorted! Dave and I rocked the joint, for the most part. Wish you could've joined us.

sad.gif

Next time.
Omniscia
The game still has some kinks to be worked out... It doesn't quite pick up vocals if you're singing with anything beyond a clean tone. And it sounds ridiculous to even attempt to sing "Enter Sandman" as a Benedictine monk would.
Everlong
QUOTE (Llama @ Aug 8 2008, 02:38 PM)

Wave goodbye to your social life cos this game is addictive on live!

If you want someone to play, I'm 'Diablo Munkee' on Live smile.gif
Omniscia
So, I picked up the Police Quest collection for $6 the other day, but I'm a little hesitant to try it, because my memories of most Sierra adventures involve quite a lot of dying and reloading...

I'm not really keen on the whole trial-and-error thing, when it comes to what should be simple tasks, like walking across the street.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Julie @ Aug 8 2008, 09:55 PM)
sad.gif

Next time.

D'oh, I think it may have been a NAT problem. If you run the network connection tests from the dashboard, what does it say your NAT is set to? If it's strict it'll have real trouble connecting to other people. While I'm at work mine's "moderate" unfortunately so it might have been causing some issues.

That game is bloody good fun on the drums at least. The difficulties seem to be wildly varying, I found medium to be a good level for where I am at the moment but I did try expert and completed the first three songs quite easily. I managed to complete Dani California on hard which was quite fun to play.

I still can't see me ever getting that good at drums though, my right hand has immense trouble ignoring what my right foot is doing and tries to mirror it all the time when it gets faster.
Omniscia
Yeah, I've been trying the drums a bit, tonight, inspired by your performance this evening. Medium's just fine with me, for now.

The weak part, for me, is the left-most pad. For some reason, I just have a hard time hitting that with enough force to register. Either I need to strengthen my left wrist some, or the drum unit itself is a mite faulty...
Atara
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 8 2008, 11:31 PM)
That game is bloody good fun on the drums at least. The difficulties seem to be wildly varying, I found medium to be a good level for where I am at the moment but I did try expert and completed the first three songs quite easily. I managed to complete Dani California on hard which was quite fun to play.

I found this too, I thought I was a genious, flying through expert on the drums ... for a while, then suddenly the bass pedal goes crazy and I have to hit it at all different times and I can't cope. Medium is fine for some songs, but can sometimes be ridiculously easy, but then going up a step suddenly makes its solid.

I really need to get back to playing it, it is good fun but not touched it for ages.
Llama
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 8 2008, 07:12 PM)
It's very, very good and fun, but works best in small doses because the gameplay is very much "walk along, trigger enemy spawn, take cover and kill them all, move on". The missions are slightly varied and have some great moments, and it's extremely bloody.

Also best played in Co-Op (not the supermarket) if you can.
QUOTE (Everlong @ Aug 8 2008, 10:16 PM)

Well, glad to hear all I heard about it seems to be true happy.gif I think I'll try to get my brother in on co-op so we can learn all the controls and stuff together, then bust out the Live!
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 8 2008, 11:04 PM)
So, I picked up the Police Quest collection for $6 the other day, but I'm a little hesitant to try it, because my memories of most Sierra adventures involve quite a lot of dying and reloading...

I'm not really keen on the whole trial-and-error thing, when it comes to what should be simple tasks, like walking across the street.

That's why I preferred Lucasarts ones, because you couldn't die in most (any?) of them.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Everlong @ Aug 8 2008, 10:16 PM)

Personally I thought Gears of War was absolutely terrible on live. The host has such a massive advantage, the game modes all seem to be exactly the same, and the slow, clunky pace that worked great in single player just didn't translate very well to a multiplayer game for me.

QUOTE (Atara @ Aug 9 2008, 08:44 AM)
I found this too, I thought I was a genious, flying through expert on the drums ... for a while, then suddenly the bass pedal goes crazy and I have to hit it at all different times and I can't cope. Medium is fine for some songs, but can sometimes be ridiculously easy, but then going up a step suddenly makes its solid.

I really need to get back to playing it, it is good fun but not touched it for ages.

The problem I have with medium is because if I know the song well, I know how the drums should go and where the difficulty level removes hits to make it "easier" I end up still putting them in anyway because it sounds right to me and it says I've fucked up.
Atara
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 9 2008, 02:15 PM)
The problem I have with medium is because if I know the song well, I know how the drums should go and where the difficulty level removes hits to make it "easier" I end up still putting them in anyway because it sounds right to me and it says I've fucked up.

That kind of happens to me, but my knowledge of the song and my actual skill when I go onto hard or expert clash a little.
Omniscia
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 9 2008, 07:03 AM)
That's why I preferred Lucasarts ones, because you couldn't die in most (any?) of them.

Well, at least post-Monkey Island. If I recall, death, or at least failure, was still a threat in Maniac Mansion and their other earlier adventures. And they did play that cruel, near-death joke toward the end of The Secret of Monkey Island... Brilliantly executed, though.

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 9 2008, 09:15 AM)

Yeah. I find that to be the case with "Tom Sawyer," at least.

It would also be easier to have some sort of visual indicator as to which pad controls which part of the drum kit. As it stands, my solos and fills tend to consist mostly of wild thrashing, mostly on the green pad, 'cos that's what you need to hit to get the bonus points...

I just can't remember which is which, at least not enough to make any sense of a solo. I guess that'll come with time.
bump909
Maniac Mansion.. what a great game. I remember buying an early copy when I was a kid. The early version allowed you to place a hamster in the microwave and blow it up. It was hilarious.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 9 2008, 02:15 PM)
Personally I thought Gears of War was absolutely terrible on live. The host has such a massive advantage, the game modes all seem to be exactly the same, and the slow, clunky pace that worked great in single player just didn't translate very well to a multiplayer game for me.

Yeah, multiplayer's a bit rubbish I think. The Co-Op campaign is very good though, and works better than just playing alone.

QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 9 2008, 03:00 PM)
And they did play that cruel, near-death joke toward the end of The Secret of Monkey Island... Brilliantly executed, though.

I can't remember exactly what that was, though I do remember something catching me out for a moment there...
Omniscia
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 9 2008, 11:26 AM)
I can't remember exactly what that was, though I do remember something catching me out for a moment there...

Here's a refresher...

I think I'll go grab Gears tomorrow. I've been waiting for it to come down to $20-30, and Circuit City will have it for $30 all next week...
GundamGuy_UK
Your link doesn't work...
Omniscia
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 10 2008, 07:44 AM)
Your link doesn't work...

Damn it! Try this, then...
grumpygit
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 10 2008, 03:21 PM)
Damn it! Try this, then...

Ooooh! That brings back some good/bad/frustrating memories.

What was I thinking of when I sold my old PC games all those years ago? wacko.gif
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (grumpygit @ Aug 10 2008, 07:30 PM)
Ooooh!  That brings back some good/bad/frustrating memories.

What was I thinking of when I sold my old PC games all those years ago? wacko.gif

Most of them wouldn't work now, anyway.

It's only thanks to things like SCUMMVM and DOSBox that certain old games can be played. I don't class Half-Life as an "old" game, but that doesn't work on modern PCs and you have to download the files off Steam instead.

It's one of the few things I really don't like about Windows - the backwards compatability really doesn't work very well.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Arsebiscuits. 97% complete on Enter Sandman on expert then failed. That's annoying.
Omniscia
I haven't dared try that one on Expert yet, but I did get to 90% on Hard before it fell apart...
Nonus Aequilibrium
It's that shit bit at the end of the song where it all just fizzles out to nothing that gets me. There's a point in the song where I always think "the song should have ended right there" but they just carry on going and make a shit ending.
zeden
Went to a Soul Calibur competition yesterday and absolutely thrashed the competition. Only one guy stood a chance against me and actually won a match thanks to a very cheeky ring out.
Got a limited edition strategy guide along with the soundtrack for my effort. It's a bit silly that I'd have to win a competition in order to get a strategy guide I don't need because I know the game well enough to kick ass anyway.
At least it explains what you have to do to unlock the treasure in Tower of Souls mode.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (zeden @ Aug 11 2008, 08:15 AM)
Went to a Soul Calibur competition yesterday and absolutely thrashed the competition. Only one guy stood a chance against me and actually won a match thanks to a very cheeky ring out.
Got a limited edition strategy guide along with the soundtrack for my effort. It's a bit silly that I'd have to win a competition in order to get a strategy guide I don't need because I know the game well enough to kick ass anyway.
At least it explains what you have to do to unlock the treasure in Tower of Souls mode.

Nice one.

I actually don't get strategy guides so much for hints and tips as the artwork, interviews and extra bits and pieces they tend to add to them. Just a good book to accompany the series, as the telly man might say.
Jimmay
I want to play Rock Band with you all online as well. In fact, if that's 4 of us then we have a full band there. Jimmay557 is my gamertag.

I got a load of mates over on Friday and we played 7 player Rock Band. 2 singers, a bassist, guitarist and 3 people playing the drums. I'll post the pictures up in a bit.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Aug 11 2008, 09:35 AM)
I want to play Rock Band with you all online as well.  In fact, if that's 4 of us then we have a full band there.  Jimmay557 is my gamertag.

I got a load of mates over on Friday and we played 7 player Rock Band.  2 singers, a bassist, guitarist and 3 people playing the drums.  I'll post the pictures up in a bit.

There shall be a friend request coming your way, sir.
Jubei
QUOTE (zeden @ Aug 11 2008, 08:15 AM)

Well done!

I've played 4 ranked games online and lost all of them so far. I don't get the matchmaking though. I'm level 1 with 0 wins, and I'm being matched against level 30 and 40 people, with 100s of wins and 50 odd losses. Doesn't seem particularly even.

Maybe I'm used to Halo's excellent matchmaking and skill matching system, but this seems way out of wack. Perhaps there just isn't enough people playing.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Jubei @ Aug 11 2008, 11:47 AM)
Well done!

I've played 4 ranked games online and lost all of them so far. I don't get the matchmaking though. I'm level 1 with 0 wins, and I'm being matched against level 30 and 40 people, with 100s of wins and 50 odd losses.  Doesn't seem particularly even.

Maybe I'm used to Halo's excellent matchmaking and skill matching system, but this seems way out of wack.  Perhaps there just isn't enough people playing.

The matchmaking probably isn't a lot different, it's just there's probably a hell of a lot less people playing that than there are people playing Halo. The game's got the option of putting you in a badly balanced match or not giving you a match at all, so presumably that's the best it can do at the time.
Flame7581
I seem to be addicted to the Zelda crossbow for the Wii. Even the stupid little game that it came with.. Maybe I have some aggression issues because I just love shooting things.. Especially the giant watermelons <lol>
Nonus Aequilibrium
Absolutely brilliant songs coming as DLC for Rock Band tomorrow apparently:

Devildriver - "Clouds over California"
Machine Head - "Aesthetics of Hate"
Dream Theater - "Constant Motion"
Killswitch Engage - "My Curse"
zeden
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 11 2008, 07:44 AM)
I actually don't get strategy guides so much for hints and tips as the artwork, interviews and extra bits and pieces they tend to add to them. Just a good book to accompany the series, as the telly man might say.

Alas this guide isn't quite up to that standard. It's a move list and single player walk through and that's it. Even the art is old hat because it's all in the games museum mode. Shame really.

QUOTE (Jubei @ Aug 11 2008, 10:47 AM)
I've played 4 ranked games online and lost all of them so far. I don't get the matchmaking though. I'm level 1 with 0 wins, and I'm being matched against level 30 and 40 people, with 100s of wins and 50 odd losses.  Doesn't seem particularly even.

It is a crappy system isn't it? Playing at my friends place the other day it became apparent that a lot of the higher level players are cheap, system cheating fools. My friend is a high level (approaching 40) and has a very hard time playing anyone for the following reasons - low level players wont touch him because of his near 2-1 win ratio and the seemingly large numbers of high level cheaters only play low level newbies to boost their level.
The sheer number of times we were matched, and rematched straight after in many cases, to a high level cheater who instantly quited the session was stupid. Ten minutes searching for somone actually willing to start a match is pretty crappy. And you can't leave feedback for the lobby quitters to avoid them because you actually have to play a match to give feedback.

QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 11 2008, 03:59 PM)
Killswitch Engage - "My Curse"

From GH3? Lazy buggers. And End of Heartache is a better song to boot.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (zeden @ Aug 11 2008, 05:19 PM)
From GH3? Lazy buggers. And End of Heartache is a better song to boot.

True, but it's probably Roadrunner trying to push their later albums.
monkeyman
QUOTE (zeden @ Aug 11 2008, 05:19 PM)
It is a crappy system isn't it? Playing at my friends place the other day it became apparent that a lot of the higher level players are cheap, system cheating fools. My friend is a high level (approaching 40) and has a very hard time playing anyone for the following reasons - low level players wont touch him because of his near 2-1 win ratio and the seemingly large numbers of high level cheaters only play low level newbies to boost their level.
The sheer number of times we were matched, and rematched straight after in many cases, to a high level cheater who instantly quited the session was stupid. Ten minutes searching for somone actually willing to start a match is pretty crappy. And you can't leave feedback for the lobby quitters to avoid them because you actually have to play a match to give feedback.

Yeah, most people find a strategy that works online because its hard to counter due to the small amounts of lag. To be honest I'm a bit bored of th eonline section of the game now. Theres not even half the skill involved as fighting someone siting next to you as guard impacts.throw evades are for the most part thrown out of the equation.

Shame really.

Grats on winning the competition though mon frere wink.gif
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Flame7581 @ Aug 11 2008, 03:54 PM)
I seem to be addicted to the Zelda crossbow for the Wii.  Even the stupid little game that it came with.. Maybe I have some aggression issues because I just love shooting things..  Especially the giant watermelons <lol>

It's really more fun than it oughta be. I like the walking shooting sections too. Plays a little like Resident Evil 4.
GundamGuy_UK
Finally got up to the Pokemon League on Diamond.

Only took me 84 hours.

It'll be at least another 6 before I face the Elite Four; my crazy system requires that I raise me team from ~Lv82 to Lv90 before I start.
dandan
QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 4 2008, 12:17 PM)
well, i'm (at least) ten years behind the times and have just started the first 'resident evil' game...

well, that was thirteen well spent hours. jolly good fun, if a little scary...
a couple of questions;

would i be right in thinking that i should play it again with the other character?

how different is it?

is it safe to say that i should invest in the other 'resident evil' games, if i enjoyed this one?
logger
QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 11 2008, 10:39 PM)
is it safe to say that i should invest in the other 'resident evil' games, if i enjoyed this one?

I'd say yes, although I'd stick to 2, 3 and 4 which is a bit different and has more action.
maian
QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 11 2008, 10:39 PM)
well, that was thirteen well spent hours. jolly good fun, if a little scary...
a couple of questions;

would i be right in thinking that i should play it again with the other character?

how different is it?

Which character did you play with first? The plot is slightly different but the main difference is in how you deal with different situations and what strategies you use, as Jill has less health but can carry more items, for example.

I'd recommend investing in the rest of the series. For my money, Resident Evil 4 is the very best of the series, though it differs hugely to those that preceded it, but the rest are well worth getting.

Also, if you thought Resi 1 was scary, you should play the remake for the Gamecube. That game shit me right up.
frostitute
Just don't play Zero
maian
Nowt wrong with Zero. It's a bit by the numbers but it's still a good game.
GundamGuy_UK
I'm in a different camp and thought that Resident Evil 4 was rubbish. It's too far of an outing to remind me of the originals, and just felt like an average 3rd-person action game with some Resident Evil 2 names dropped in occasionally.

I always get a lot of flak for saying that, and I'm in a minority, but for me Resident Evil is what 0, 1, 2, and 3 are. It's the tank-like controls, the having to run to an item box because a shotgun and a toothpick take up the same space in your inventory, it's the never quite certain you're aiming for. It's all those negatives that make the game what it is.

Resident Evil 4 doesn't even have proper zombies!

For my two cents, I say get yourself a GameCube and get Resident Evil 0, Remake, 2, and 3. It'll not cost you much because GameCubes cost less than a cup of coffee nowadays, and you'll still be able to play 4 if the ungodly urge should fill you. But be warned, it's rubbish.

Resident Evil: Dead Aim was better than 4, and that's hardly a great game (though it is very fun during its short play time).

Oh, and you can skip Code: Veronica too. It's far, far too hard to be fun (it makes the others look like there's ammo everywhere), and I didn't like the 3D backgrounds as much as the pre-rendered.
maian
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 11 2008, 10:52 PM)
For my two cents, I say get yourself a GameCube and get Resident Evil 0, Remake, 2, and 3. It'll not cost you much because GameCubes cost less than a cup of coffee nowadays, and you'll still be able to play 4 if the ungodly urge should fill you. But be warned, it's rubbish.

Or, it's one of the greatest games ever made. You pays your money, you takes your chances.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.