Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Llama
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 3 2010, 01:48 PM) *
I'm always content to have them live a meager existence. If they run out of money, it's "rosebud;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!;!" time.

I'm determined not to cheat this time though, I've not played The Sims since 2004 so I should be able to handle it =]

Haha, I forgot about that cheat. I decided not to cheat in The Sims 3, it is more rewarding happy.gif
GundamGuy_UK
My stupid Sim set fire to his garden, and was fine with it. Calmly called the fire brigade, and then while they were putting it out (they'd nearly finished, too) he dived into it and died...

I'd also forgotten how if your Sim lives by itself it's incredibly hard to keep the social level reasonable. For some reason it breaks down into tears if it's not hung out with someone for half a day. Fortunately, petting the animals (of which there are loads) seems to help a lot.

How do you get your own pet? I can't remember.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 2 2010, 11:52 PM) *
Played for about two hours and my laptop crashed. I lost everything I'd done.

The Sims works on laptops?! Why did no-one tell me this before? I've missed playing on it so much since my mam gave the Xbox to my brother (we still don't have a hard drive for the 360), and I seriously doubt our PC could handle it as it's horribly slow as it is.
monkeyman
Been playing Battlefield 2 On Hayleighs laptop whilst she's playing Mass Effect 2. God the Bf series kicks the shit out of COD. I'm really interested in trying Baf Company 2. It'd be nice to have that kind of shooter (destructible environments, tanks, boats, planes etc) to play on a semi-regular basis.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Feb 3 2010, 08:16 PM) *
The Sims works on laptops?! Why did no-one tell me this before? I've missed playing on it so much since my mam gave the Xbox to my brother (we still don't have a hard drive for the 360), and I seriously doubt our PC could handle it as it's horribly slow as it is.

It's 10 years old, I'd have thought all PCs will run it now.

You can get a box set of it and all seven booster packs on eBay for about 15.
Raven
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 3 2010, 11:04 AM) *
I read that too. Whatever they need to get it working well. I'm interested to see them show off "raids" as videos I've seen have only showed 2 people doing quests together. Also quite interested to see the PvP.

I'm not fussed about the wait, I'd rather they get it right, than have another Star Wars Galaxies on our hands.

Besides, Warcraft: Cataclysm will tide me over until then!
Llama
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 3 2010, 06:10 PM) *
How do you get your own pet? I can't remember.

Isn't that just in the Pets expansion pack? Otherwise, I don't know.
GundamGuy_UK
It's okay, I worked out it's a shop in Downtown.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 3 2010, 11:33 PM) *
I'm not fussed about the wait, I'd rather they get it right, than have another Star Wars Galaxies on our hands.

Besides, Warcraft: Cataclysm will tide me over until then!

I'm fairly certain I'm going to get it (wifey/child permitting). We should make sure we are on the sane server sir, Kei will no doubt play too; I know Zeden is interested in it (even though it's an MMO!). It would be nice to play with a bigger group of people I know. Usually when I play an MMO it's with one friend who always gets bored of his character, changes class/race 10 times then quits.
zeden
It's all about the plot for me. Offer me moral choices and branching plots and I'm there. Dread to think of just how much lingo I'll have to learn though, all this talk of pvp and griefing means nothing to me.
monkeyman
Here you go my man http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archives/001313.php laugh.gif
PvP = Player vs Player (rather than Player vs CPU enemies)
Griefing = Basically being a dick to people on purpose. A classic thing griefers used to do for the lulz in FF11 was a get a train of enemies to chase them, then the player would run through to a new load zone, the enemies would then unload on any unfortunate lower level players near the zone.
Square Enix eventually fixed it so enemies would dissapear and respawn if this kind of thing happened. Nothing worse than being a level 10 mining some ore, seeing a hundred enemies chasing a level 70 ( chuckling about it) then having then suddenly rape you. I learnt that lesson quickly.

Hopefully not everyone just decides they want to play Jedi Knight/Sith equivalent and there's decent variety.
zeden
I feel positively educated after reading that. Still, there's a lot for me to learn though. Figure I'll keep up to date on the latest Old Republic news and learn its systems as they announce details.

Another Mass Effect 2 session if beckoning. I'm completely in love with it right now. The mix of solid combat and nicely paced plotting have had me racking up the hours and hankering to rush through to see the end, but I'm being disciplined and relishing each and every mission.
Everlong
Sonic 4 Announced

Apparently it's available via download in July.
monkeyman
Ach, you'll learn as you go. I imagine we'll talk over mics rather than type so the abbreveations become mostly irrelevant.

Garrus is my favourite looking character in ME2, battle damaged Garrus looks awesome. I'm not to keen on the way mist of the humans faces look, the complexions and lines of eyes etc look a bit rubbish up close. The Krogan (Grunt?) has been really nicely rendered though.

EDIT: Sonic 4 is what Sega should have made 10ish games ago. It's what fans have wanted and why nearly all Sonic games after 3/Sonic and Knuckles failed.
zeden
I just got some thoroughly shitty news, but this takes a surprising amount of the sting away. Here's hoping it's a true successor to the old games.
GundamGuy_UK
It is. It's set right after 3&K, with the Death Egg destroyed and Angel Island back in the sky.

And Sonic is the only playable character.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 3 2010, 11:11 PM) *
It's 10 years old, I'd have thought all PCs will run it now.

You can get a box set of it and all seven booster packs on eBay for about 15.

All except our PC - it can barely run the internet! But I would love The Sims for my laptop. Or The Sims 2, if that would work.
monkeyman
Has anyone played the Bad Company 2 demo? It's really damn good. Much better than MW2. Big big map, vehicles, destructible enviroents. It's awesome.
Raven
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 4 2010, 11:22 AM) *
I'm fairly certain I'm going to get it (wifey/child permitting). We should make sure we are on the sane server sir, Kei will no doubt play too; I know Zeden is interested in it (even though it's an MMO!). It would be nice to play with a bigger group of people I know. Usually when I play an MMO it's with one friend who always gets bored of his character, changes class/race 10 times then quits.

Yeah, I'd be up for that, but would we all want to play the same faction?! tongue.gif
monkeyman
I would laugh.gif If it meant I got to play with people I know I'd play a faction I wouldn't normally choose.
Everlong
There's apparently the first trailer for Fallout: New Vegas on the UK IGN website, but I can't access it here at work.

I hear Ron Perlman narrates again..

Shall be looking that up later then!
Raven
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 5 2010, 02:39 PM) *
I would laugh.gif If it meant I got to play with people I know I'd play a faction I wouldn't normally choose.

Yay! Death to the Sith!
Atara
Garrus and I are in love!
Jimmay
Wow, Uncharted 2 really is as good as people have been saying. I have laughed, cringed, stared in open mouthed awe and whooped more than most films I've watched recently. It really is amazing and the quick time events which don't actually feature any instructions on screen but are instead reliant on you jumping out of the way at the right time or leaping to safety by being more aware of your surroundings are a much better and less jarring way to do things than have been employed in other games.

I also can't get over the detail that goes into each and every scene, even if it's just going to be on screen for a matter of seconds. It really is amazing. I have just gone down into the temple in Tibet and have entered a room with reflecting mirrors. Highlight so far is the building collapsing with me inside and having to run and jump to safety. The silence afterwards, broken only by a quietly ticking clock on the wall was stunning.
monkeyman
Yeah the QTE's in the first game were silly. I'd put my controller down to watch a cutscene and then scramble for it when a prompt appeared out of nowhere.

The scale in parts of that game are incredible and beautiful, especially standing in top of the hotel, and the train level.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Atara @ Feb 7 2010, 08:46 PM) *
Garrus and I are in love!

It was Tali for me.

Two games in and I still don't know what's under that damn mask!
Kick in the Head
Finished Madworld after maybe 5 hours of gameplay. It's a tad repetitive and surprisingly easy (I'd heard horror stories of vicious difficulty spikes, but I only had to restart a level once), but grizzly fun for the most part. I'll certainly replay it in the freshly unlocked Hard mode, but glad it was only a fiver. Think I'll get Muramasa next in my quest to play those leftover Wii releases before Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and No More Heroes 2 come out. Will get an XBox 360 in the next couple of months though. I can only hold out from playing Bioshock 2 for so long.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I'm going to try and nail Miranda this evening.
fatseff1234
I have just finished Mass Effect 2. Very good game.
NiteFall
How many of your team did you get killed? I lost Tali and the Salarian scientist whose name eludes me right now as well as my Yeoman the first time round.
monkeyman
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Feb 8 2010, 09:24 PM) *
How many of your team did you get killed? I lost Tali and the Salarian scientist whose name eludes me right now as well as my Yeoman the first time round.

His name is Mordin. I like him
NiteFall
That's the bunny. He is rather amusing.
monkeyman
Like Spock on speed.
fatseff1234
I lost Miranda and Zaeed. I had full loyalty (except Zaeed) and my ship was fully upgraded so god knows what I did wrong. I also lost my old crew.
NiteFall
It comes down to who you send off on their own, to lead the secondary fire team and who to take the crew back to the ship. It also effects it depending on how quickly you fight your way to the first control room- make it quickly enough and your old crew gets to live.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Feb 8 2010, 10:20 PM) *
It comes down to who you send off on their own, to lead the secondary fire team and who to take the crew back to the ship. It also effects it depending on how quickly you fight your way to the first control room- make it quickly enough and your old crew gets to live.

Yeah, I kinda did all that right, but didn't send anyone back with the old crew...
beatoswald
Does anyone think they know what is going in the Mass Effect story?

I think The Illusive Man is at least partially responsible for the attack on the Normandy that begins the game. Possibly through leaking its location to the collectors through the Shadow Broker. He did this to secure Shepard's service perhaps to prove humanity's worth, for a role of gilded subservience, to the Reapers. Miranda is complicit and knowing in his scheme. The Illusive Man caused the mech rebellion at the Lazarus Project to test Shepard. Wilson was a dupe.

The scene is being set for a large galactic conflict. The third game will probably involve bringing various factions (Krogans, Geth, Quarians, etc) into a coalition against the Reapers, Cerberus and the Shadow Broker. How these three fit together I'm not sure.
fatseff1234
The Illusive man is The Harbinger/The Harbinger's puppet (literally). What we were lead to believe was The Harbinger throughout the game was kind of "released" just as the explosion went off...

Illusive man is evil!

And Shepherd's in a loony bin and it's all some weird day dream brought on by drugs and there's polar bears... And Miranda's sat on the bench opposite after Garrus is "dead".

EDIT: Ramirez! Get through that Omega 4 relay! - In a Fiat Punto!
monkeyman
Thought this picture was pretty cool:

Jimmay
All this talk of Mass Effect 2 makes me think I should give it another go. Should I bother trying to finish the first one or just wade straight into the second one or if I couldn't be bothered with the first one after the first planet should I bother with number 2 at all?

In other news, Bioshock 2 should be here tomorrow. Woot!
zeden
If you couldn't stomach past the first planet of the first game I wouldn't advise spending money on the second. The combat is a lot more polished but if the draw of the story wasn't enough to get you through the first then the second probably wont have much to offer.

All this talk of having finished it and I've not even gone to get the IFF relay thingy. I'm squeezing ever second of enjoyment from that game but I reckon I'll be done by the end of the week free time permitting. Then it's Bioshock 2 and possibly Dragon Age if I can be bothered.

I've spotted the first few reviews of FF13 online and I'm not surprised to see it getting scores ranging from 70% to about 85%. Much as the nostalgic child side of me want the game to be great my dominant rationality tells me that it's a plot I've no interest in and a franchise that's in a nasty decline.
Jimmay
QUOTE (zeden @ Feb 9 2010, 07:29 PM) *
If you couldn't stomach past the first planet of the first game I wouldn't advise spending money on the second. The combat is a lot more polished but if the draw of the story wasn't enough to get you through the first then the second probably wont have much to offer.

It wasn't the story that was the problem. I was a huge fan of the KOTOR games and played them both right the way through (the first time I had ever managed to finish an RPG) so I was really excited about Mass Effect and followed it for months before release. However, when I died on the ice planet and had to go right back to the start of the level I couldn't be bothered to do it again straight away so I left it and then just never went back to it. If that aspect has been improved then I may give it a go.
zeden
What I meant was that if the draw of the plot wasn't enough to get you past the irritating bits of the first game then the second might offer the same irritation, though the combat is a bit more forgiving as you can generally warp back to the start of a fight when you die. The only thing that's standing in front of you is the sequel factor plot wise; there are a hell of a lot of references to ME1.
fatseff1234
I had great difficulty getting into ME1, I was approaching it like a normal third person shooter instead of the glorious action RPG that it truely was. At first you're lost, dazed and confused and also thinking "Why're the controls so shi*e and unresponsive?". Then you realise there's far more to the game then an introductory planet.

After 10ish hours you should be becoming familiar with the whole thing and after 15 it should be so seeped into your pores that you're spouting Quarian as if it was shakespeare!

Edit: I don't think that the actual plot itself is anything too new or refreshing, typical cliche'd saving the world sort of thing. the main drw is how this typical storyline is presented and unfolds.

The whole choice/consequence thing is a brilliant gameplay mechanic in itself (and yes it IS a mechanic, not just a way of forwarding the storyline), it really gets the gamer thinking and coming back for a second and third play through.

Edit #2: What's the word on Bioshock 2? I liked the first game but was hardly fanatical, will I like it?
NiteFall
I'm playing it and so far so "meh", but I was never really grabbed by the first one, so I'm probably not the best judge of it.
fatseff1234
I feel the same, I may just give it a miss and hold out for Final Fantasy 13. I hope it's not as bad as people are saying.
Llama
I tried ME1 and just didn't get anything out of it. It got sent back to LoveFilm after the first play. I sort of feel like I should try again.
fatseff1234
It's somewhat of a slow burner. The fun comes from building up your relationships with characters.
logger
It took me 3 tries to get into it.
sweetbutinsane
Why are there no male Calicos on Catz 3?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.