Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
monkeyman
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 25 2008, 05:25 PM)
It should be better, you're right, but the Megadrive or your old PC was by no means a piece of engineering genius, it was just simple and less factors make it break. I've not heard much about PS3s going wrong, so they've obviously got something right in their internal design, but on the other hand I don't know anyone who hammers the hell out of their PS3 in the way that I and most people I know do to their 360s.

I do and it runs just fine. I played it solidly over my 2 week holiday, sometimes for 12 hours a day smile.gif

The thing with the 360 is, if it generates so much heat that it breaks, then thats a design flaw right there. It should either have been designed to generate les, or more likely, have better methods to dissapate the heat.

I have started replaying Resident evil 2 and am enjoying it, though I can't help but mis the 180 quick turn from Resi 3.
GundamGuy_UK
60Gb 360 for under 180?

Seriously, I'd buy that tomorrow if they'd cured the RROD, but apparently it doesn't. And it's even louder than previous ones.

They have changed some of the hardware though, and apparently the next release will use a chipset that won't RROD. If they know that though, why release this one?

I'm still very tempted, but my parents already go on at me for the number of systems I own.
logger
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 25 2008, 08:34 PM)
I have started replaying Resident evil 2 and am enjoying it, though  I can't help but mis the 180 quick turn from Resi 3.

I played 2 over the past few days and am now playing 3. I now keep forgetting about the 180 turn.
GundamGuy_UK
That was such a helpful addition to the series.
monkeyman
Indeed. The weapon selection was much better in Resi 3 as well. I also liked the weapons/weapon parts the Nemesis dropped on the harder modes. I think I might have said that already.

I liked Resi 4, but replaying a while ago and tying to replay it very recently I didn't like it as much....I'm not too excited for Resi 5 to be honest.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Rock Band really could do with the option to buy a second bass pedal to attach for the more complex songs.
Jubei
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 25 2008, 05:35 PM)
And the simple fact is, that if the 360 has a fatal design error in it, it's Microsofts responsibility to remedy it.

In fairness, they have made an effort. Once the RROD problem was properly analysed, they extended the warranty on that problem to three years, which is quite good. Mine went after over a year, so I benefited from the extended warranty period, and since it came back it's been fine. (I've probably just jinxed the hell out of it). The original PlayStation had a common problem with disc reading (put it upside down/a book on it) and my Dreamcast is as good as completely dead now as well (sound doesn't work, and it struggles to read most discs). It isn't just the Xbox 360 which is prone to problems, it's just the most recent and high profile.

Also, I now have COD4 which I'm enjoying. But I suck online at the moment.
Jimmay
I've been playing Overlord quite a bit and its really good fun. The dark humour in it is pretty good although I have just got to a really irritating bit where the controls have made the boss I'm up against extremely difficult to defeat. I did the classic lurch forward and switch the 360 off in anger. I may have another crack at it tonight if I get a chance.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 26 2008, 05:03 AM)
Rock Band really could do with the option to buy a second bass pedal to attach for the more complex songs.

Oh, but you could buy two Omega pedals... Only set you back $170.
Llama
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Aug 26 2008, 02:32 PM)
Oh, but you could buy two Omega pedals... Only set you back $170.

That's actually insane. I really hope no one's bought one of those.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Llama @ Aug 26 2008, 03:19 PM)
That's actually insane. I really hope no one's bought one of those.

I'm very tempted...
Llama
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 26 2008, 04:30 PM)
I'm very tempted...

No! Bad Dave!
monkeyman
Bah, seems Silent Hill: Homecoming is out in September in America, and November in Europe. That sucks, i was really looking forward to that this month.
Atara
If oyu buy one, decent, bass pedal for rock band it'd be much better, the current one is lame as hell.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Jubei @ Aug 26 2008, 10:25 AM)
In fairness, they have made an effort.  Once the RROD problem was properly analysed, they extended the warranty on that problem to three years, which is quite good.  Mine went after over a year, so I benefited from the extended warranty period, and since it came back it's been fine. (I've probably just jinxed the hell out of it).  The original PlayStation had a common problem with disc reading (put it upside down/a book on it) and my Dreamcast is as good as completely dead now as well (sound doesn't work, and it struggles to read most discs).  It isn't just the Xbox 360 which is prone to problems, it's just the most recent and high profile.

Also, I now have COD4 which I'm enjoying.  But I suck online at the moment.

True, but the PS1 and Dreamcast didn't have a 43% failure rate on launch, they developed problems with age.
Omniscia
My PS2 is still working just fine, and I got it shortly after it came out. I think it's from the second batch they released Stateside, just after launch.

The only trouble I've ever had with it is its refusal to play No One Lives Forever (it's better on the PC, anyway) and some strange control issues with NCAA Football 2K3. Otherwise, it's been solid as a rock.
GundamGuy_UK
Mine goes through periods of disc read erroring, but more or less works fine.
Jimmay
I caved last night and bought Braid and boy am I glad I did. My evening drained away and all of a sudden my brain was mush, my eyes were bleeding and it was bed time. I've only managed to complete the first world and have yet to play world 6 at all but I'm looking forward to having another crack at it tonight.

I also gave the Puzzle Quest demo a go and I can certainly see why people get addicted to that one.
NiteFall
I now have a shiny, shiny PS3 and in the absence of any games to go with it have set myself up an online account. I am Keios1980 if I've not already added you and you wish to add me, go ahead and do so.
logger
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Aug 28 2008, 02:01 PM)
I now have a shiny, shiny PS3

I hate you as I hate all PS3 owners, especially as another problem has come along to take a mighty chunk out of my PS3 funds. Maybe I'll be able to buy one by xmas then other people can hate me.
NiteFall
You're going to hate me even more I got it for free.
logger
Boooo!!!!
Jimmay
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Aug 28 2008, 02:09 PM)
You're going to hate me even more I got it for free.

How?
NiteFall
I did the maths and found that it would make more sense for me to have a contract phone than to spend 20-30 on credit every month and still run out towards the end of every month. I found somewhere that not only let me get a reasonable deal on Orange, but also threw in a free Sony Ericsson handset and a free PS3.
monkeyman
Thats pretty damn cool dude. I shall add you tonight.
Atara
Ours was free too. It is ace
Omniscia
I wish I had a free PS3...
NiteFall
You ain't getting mine.
Nonus Aequilibrium
Too Human is quite thoroughly one of the worst games I've played for a long, long time. This game has clearly been made by people who don't have a clue about game design whatsoever.
monkeyman
It did look like a bland dungeon crawler to me.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 28 2008, 07:41 PM)
It did look like a bland dungeon crawler to me.

It starts off bland and gradually gets worse to the point where it's utterly abysmal.
Omniscia
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Aug 28 2008, 01:55 PM)
You ain't getting mine.

That's okay. I think all I'd use it for is playing Blu-Ray discs. And I've got a drive in my computer that does that just fine, for a fraction of the cost. Well, a fraction of the retail, non-free cost, anyway.
Llama
My Xbox has broken again sad.gif No video, just sound. Right in the middle of a COD4 match as well. I haven't had a chance to try it with different cables or on another TV yet, but I doubt these things will solve my problem to be honest.
Jimmay
I think the knack with Braid is to play as much as you can in one sitting then leave it for a day and try again. The puzzle pieces I struggled with last night have been far easier today. Going back to them and looking at them in a different way makes all the difference. I have 6 pieces left and they're real bastards but I'm determined not to look for solutions anywhere as I'm getting a real kick out of finishing some of the really fiendish puzzles.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Aug 28 2008, 09:47 PM)
I think the knack with Braid is to play as much as you can in one sitting then leave it for a day and try again.  The puzzle pieces I struggled with last night have been far easier today.  Going back to them and looking at them in a different way makes all the difference.  I have 6 pieces left and they're real bastards but I'm determined not to look for solutions anywhere as I'm getting a real kick out of finishing some of the really fiendish puzzles.

Yahtzee's review of Braid is pretty entertaining.

I liked what I played of it, it seems like a decent little game.
Jimmay
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 28 2008, 09:49 PM)
Yahtzee's review of Braid is pretty entertaining.

I liked what I played of it, it seems like a decent little game.

I saw that today although I had already caved and bought it. It really is as good as people have said but I'm not sure about the replay value. It's certainly the best and most innovative puzzler since Portal.
frostitute
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ Aug 28 2008, 01:29 PM)
people who don't have a clue about game design whatsoever.

Don't you work at Rare?

Ha, no I'm kidding.
Rua
Well I bought my PS3 & I am not ashamed.

I am Hurt_Russell.
Jubei
I've completed COD4. I'm pretty impressed actually, although I was left thinking it was a bit short, and sometimes I couldn't tell who was friend or foe. Very cinematic at times though, and Jackson's death was surprisingly emotional, given that he's a faceless voiceless marine. I also liked the 'after the credits' bit, very cinematic, and a nice touch.
NiteFall
I just downloaded and installed the Skate demo and I'm really enjoying it, although after years of playing Tony Hawks games it's taking a bit of getting used to.
monkeyman
I highly recommend you try the Pixeljunk Eden and The Last Guy demo.

If you have any interest in Star Wars, The force Unleashed demo is awesome as well.
grumpygit
Star Wars - The Fuckest Uppest? smile.gif
Jubei
QUOTE (grumpygit @ Aug 29 2008, 01:36 PM)
Star Wars - The Fuckest Uppest? smile.gif

That was the first thing I thought when i saw Star Wars: TFU
weputthemdown583
I just downloaded the TFU demo, pretty fun, i likez it
Sean of the Dead
Has anyone here played Castle Crashers on Xbox Live? It makes me feel like I'm 3 again, playing Streets of Rage (both one and two) on my Sega Mega Drive, throwing enemies into one another and walking over food to regain health (technically squatting over it in Streets of Rage). When my 2100 points arrive from Play.com, that'll be my first purchase.
frostitute
Castle Crashers is one of the best downloadable titles across all platforms. Shame the online is broken to shit.
GundamGuy_UK
Apparently, the reason PS3 console sales are low is because Sony can't keep up with demand in production.

Really...?
Atara
Could be true, sales more recently have been kick ass for PS3
GundamGuy_UK
True, it's slowly improving. But when was the last time you saw them sold out anywhere?

PSP's I've seen sold out for a while, but not the home consoles. Sony is very slowly climbing out of the hole they dug themselves into after a very ropey start to their current-gen systems.

But with the 360 having a larger HDD and a lower price, it's still going to be very tough for them. Especially as a large number of the PS3s good games are also out on 360.
Flame7581
I went to a friends house yesterday and he was playing this game (which name I can't recall now of course). The guy was walking around ruins.. On first glace I asked him if it was a rip-off of Amy of Darkness but apparently this guy doesn't go back in time... Wish I could remember the name, the graphics look amazing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.