Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
logger
I'm not the biggest fighting fan but I am interested in this.
fatseff1234
Have the Soul Calibur lag issues been solved yet? I might get it for uni.
zeden
Nope, the online is still dodgy as all hell and mostly populated by the remaining hardcore of players, meaning if you get a match it'll probably be against some level 100+ Cervantes, Lizardman or Kilik move spammer.
I can't even finish matches on Tekken 6 for some reason, they start but always disconnect mid-match. Namco just isn't very good at making their online modes work as they should it seems.
monkeyman
Why can't they fix lag in fighting games. Shooters seem to have it down pat and there's much less going on in fighting games
zeden
The thing with fighters is that because the games are designed with zero latency when played offline, the inherrent latency increase from playing online messes with timings. Shooters do suffer from it with times where you're killed out of nowhere or warped to different spots. Different games use different methods of dealing with it, though my knowledge of the technical aspects is fuzzy at best.
The best I've played in terms of consistency is definitely Super Street Fighter 4. Provided you're not button mashing it stays quite close to the way the offline game feels, though in fairness I could probably say that about any of the fighters Capcom have put out on the 360 and that's probably down to the way they program their online modes.
monkeyman
True about the warping and getting killed by nothing but in a lot of games I've played it pretty much instantaneous. Guess the need for perfet timing on parries/counters etc is slightly quite different from shooting though.

In other news: Absolutely bitching trailer for the DC Universe Online game
I won't be playing it, unless theres a free trial or i get into the beta, but i can appreciate a cool video like this.
logger
QUOTE (zeden @ Jul 25 2010, 03:18 AM) *
Street Fighter X Tekken is unveiled. And by god am I excited about it. Now if they just throw a few Soul Calibur fighters in there I think I might have some kind of geek overload.

Game footage from ComicCon. Love the crowd's reaction.
Rua
Enjoying the walk down memory lane that is Monkey Island Special Edition, great how you can switch between the lovely new version & the old one. It also helps me remember how to solve some of the puzzles.
monkeyman
Playing Civilization 3 a lot lately. Have a mod on that turns the sea/land tiles into a lovely watercolour style. I'm really enjoying it but I had forgotten how difficult it could be, especially depending on where you start. I had Russians to the north and French to the south so had to defend on two fronts occasionally and it hampered my expansion. Sailed to the far right and discovered the Japanese have a whole island the same size as mine and the Ruskies/French all to themselves. Be fun trying to take them out...
m0r1arty
I'm actually looking forward to the Civilization Facebook game due out later this year. I'd be up for playing with any of you guys if you are up for it (from near or afar - pref afar!!).

Let's keep it clean and not let others know we are a troupe though eh?? wink.gif

-m0r
monkeyman
I'd be up for that.

I did just fail with my game though. Took my time to build my empire and just as I was preparing an army to kill the world with I got the message that tells you you'll auto-retire in 2050AD(30 moves time) :/. I forgot that happens. Guess I should be more aggressive.
sweetbutinsane
Gah! I am trapped in the Fade on Dragon Age: Origins and am running seriously low on health potions. Not good.
monkeyman
Lower the difficulty if you get stuck too much?
NiteFall
Starcraft 2 is a masterpiece.

That will be all.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jul 29 2010, 05:55 PM) *
Lower the difficulty if you get stuck too much?

I think it may already be at its lowest. blush.gif
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jul 29 2010, 02:40 PM) *
I did just fail with my game though. Took my time to build my empire and just as I was preparing an army to kill the world with I got the message that tells you you'll auto-retire in 2050AD(30 moves time) :/. I forgot that happens. Guess I should be more aggressive.

I always hated that rule being the turtle like player I am. I always end up amassing culture points in Civ4 in an effort to non-violently take over neighboring cities but because it takes so long that sodding message tends to rear its head before my plans come to fruition. I'd probably be better off just aiming ot go into space from turn one.

Civ on Facebook...And I thought I was pissing a lot of time away on there already. Any idea what the level of complexity is going to be like in terms of how it compares to full Civ? Here's hoping for something closer to Civ2, 3 or 4 and less like Revolution.
monkeyman
I've read you can remove the time limit if you create a custom scenario. If not there's bound to be a mid. I am a turtle too.

Might start up Ref Alert2, tried playing Fallout1 the other day but it really didn't capture me like F2 did when I started that months and months ago.
m0r1arty
No idea how the Civilization Facebook game will work (Can't be worse than Ikariam) but you can read about it at it's Facebook page for updates.

It's meant to be out later this year but I've not seen an update since early May about it.

-m0r
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Jul 29 2010, 05:53 PM) *
Gah! I am trapped in the Fade on Dragon Age: Origins and am running seriously low on health potions. Not good.

Never mind - I figured out what I was doing wrong and managed to complete the thing without even touching another health potion. blush.gif
monkeyman
Huzzah! I don't think I could face another playthrough of DA, some parts were ace but far too much of it dragged for me.

In other news: Littlebigplanet 2 is sounding more and more awesome
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jul 30 2010, 06:41 PM) *
Huzzah! I don't think I could face another playthrough of DA, some parts were ace but far too much of it dragged for me.

Some of the dialogue does go on forever.

I remember reading somewhere that there's about 80 hours of gameplay in it. I'm only about 17 hours in, so I still have a long way to go.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I powered through in about 25 hours, just doing the story missions. I did the odd side quest (generally by accident) but mostly I just ignored them as I was playing a borrowed copy.

The Fade did feel like it was going on forever though I suppose that was the point.

Last few hours are suitably epic, you'll enjoy those.
beatoswald
I went game shopping for the first time in a few months and was merrily surprised by how many good deals there was to pick from. I chose a second hand copy of Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena for 8. Escape From Butcher Bay, a remastered version of the 2004 Xbox original, was fun due to the wide variety of gameplay including unconventional elements reminiscent of something like Deus Ex. The prison makes for a compelling location, functioning somewhat like a more earthly Metroid Prime setting. It has a similiar cohesive and exploratory feel to it, avoiding for the most part implausible corridors and linearity. In terms of how the game plays the stealth is only ok and as a FPS it is quite frustrating and old fashioned. Its idiosyncrasies in these regards necessitate gameplay which feels peculiar and often unrealistic, although it is distinctive. However it is the tight pacing, variety, and good production which make it a memorable game. I'm now playing the sequel Assault on Dark Athena. It started promisingly and has addressed some of the minor issues from the first game but is increasingly becoming a straight shooter which is in no sense the game's strong suit. It feels like the developers, alas, didn't put as much time, imagination or effort into this one.

Edit: Also, I think end of game credits are frequently getting out of hand or aren't getting the attention they warrant. I'm aware of how many people and how much work is involved in making modern big budget games but for the sake of the playing experience some moderation is needed. At the close of a game the player should be met with something concise, meaningful and aesthetically engagingly rather than a cut-and-paste jumble of names lasting an eternity. The credits for Escape From Butcher Bay went on for at least ten minutes and stylistically could hardly of been less interesting, small white text rolling up a black screen. Compare that to something like the simple yet classic vim of the original Star Wars credits leaving the viewer enthused and being entirely in keeping with the adventure story spirit of the film. Place a detailed credits as an option at the start menu or equivalent but don't subject a probably quite tired player to them as they will likely be skipped or ignored. All this is not to say there aren't developers doing interesting things with credits. Hitman: Blood Money springs to mind.
monkeyman
Heavy Rain end credits were cool if I recall.
logger
Gears of War is very good looking in hd.
zeden
I finished Arkham Asylum today and, for a change, I can't pick fault at all. It doesn't do much that's new but what it does do is perfectly polished. None of this missions felt too long or short, it never got too frustrating and there was enough motivation given to want to explore without it feeling forced.
The only thing that fell flat, now that I think about it, was the optional 3d effect added to the game of the year edition. It works well enough but because it relies on coloured glasses things end up a bit dicoloured. Add to that my aversion to 3d, given it adds nothing to the game, and that's all I can say against it. An absolute must play.
monkeyman
Some of the boss battles/encounters were shite, and Scarecrow trippy drug world was overused but otherwise I would completely agree with you. So excited what they have planned for the sequel.
logger
I like the level 6 suit on Dead Space, although playing from the beginning with all the items is always a bit too easy in any game. I'm a bit disappointed the resolution is only 720p, but at least I can read the text logs now.
Outatime
I lost 3 hours of my game today by assuming the autosave applied in the Toy Box mode as well as the story. It does, just not on the bits I'd done sad.gif
monkeyman
sad.gif
Toy Story 3 good?
Outatime
Really good, the story mode is fairly short but the toy box mode is like another game in itself. I suspect if you're used to playing games it'll all be really easy but I'm only used to the Wii so there has been quite a lot of swearing and shouting "It's a game designed for children, why can't I do this?".
monkeyman
I may get it when it reduces in price

In other news. The new Batman game will be called Batman: Arkham City and will feature Catwoman

logger
I read recently that Mark Hamill was retiring as The Joker. I thought he was great in the first game and hope he has something to do with the new one. Catwoman seems a bit lightweight to be the main villain, compared to the complex shenanigans of the Joker and the Riddler.
Everlong
IGN have confirmed Hamill is making his last voice appearance as the Joker in Arkham City.
monkeyman
Yah he said it'll be his last hurrah in this series at least.

I also imagine Catwoman is going to be more of a partner than a villain in this. Just my prediction for now
fatseff1234
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 5 2010, 06:32 PM) *
I may get it when it reduces in price

In other news. The new Batman game will be called Batman: Arkham City and will feature Catwoman

Kinky bondage times for the Caped Crusader!

I'm looking forward to this, first game was ace.

I've recently picked up RaceDriver:GRID and Tony Hawks: Proving Ground after longing for something to be able to just stick on whilst listening to music and just fanny arseing about.

Toy Stpry 2 was actually an amazing platformer, really enjoyable. I wanted to look at Toy Story 3 in GAME the other day but there were adults looking at me wink.gif tongue.gif .
monkeyman
Does anyone use lovefilm for game rentals? The smallest games package looks like a good deal ; 5.99 a month for two rentals a month, 1 disc at a time. Blockbusters charge 5.99 per game and you only get the game for a week.
Outatime
I looked into them a few months ago, there's a company that just does games with varying packages which looked quite good although I can't remember the name. I guess it depends how much opportunity you get to play them and how anal you are about completing them.
Nonus Aequilibrium
I really want one of those hydraulic simulator seats for racing games now. I had a go on one the other day and it's possibly the most awesome thing ever.
Llama
Aren't they quite loud though?
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Llama @ Aug 9 2010, 01:08 PM) *
Aren't they quite loud though?

Yes, and they cost thousands. But I still want one.
Llama
I remember seeing someone using one in a video somewhere, and I just thought it looked like it would be really distracting. Does it actually immerse you enough that you don't notice all the noise and the fact that you're in a giant wobbling chair?
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Llama @ Aug 9 2010, 05:27 PM) *
I remember seeing someone using one in a video somewhere, and I just thought it looked like it would be really distracting. Does it actually immerse you enough that you don't notice all the noise and the fact that you're in a giant wobbling chair?

It pretty much makes you feel like you're in a real car. It feels realistic enough that you find yourself driving far more cautiously because you feel like a crash might do you actual physical harm. As for the noise, we had the game volume turned up really high anyway, it has a 5.1 surround setup built into it.
Llama
I would like to give one a go, but only if no one was looking.
NiteFall
Really Microsoft? You really think that Halo: Reach is "The most anticipated game of 2010"?
Not Fallout: New Vegas? Or Mass Effect 2? Or Final Fantasy XIII? Or Metroid: Other M? Or World of Warcraft: Cataclysm? Or Starcraft 2 maybe?
Everlong
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Aug 10 2010, 12:10 PM) *
Really Microsoft? You really think that Halo: Reach is "The most anticipated game of 2010"?
Not Fallout: New Vegas? Or Mass Effect 2? Or Final Fantasy XIII? Or Metroid: Other M? Or World of Warcraft: Cataclysm? Or Starcraft 2 maybe?

And COD: Black Ops is probably more anticipated than Halo now.

I suppose 3 years ago Halo games were the most anticipated, but not now!
Bloomeeney
Halo is soooo last decade!
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Aug 10 2010, 12:10 PM) *

Actually, as shit as I think the Halo games are, there probably are more people interested in it than any of those other games, sadly. They could put a turd in a box and put the name Halo on it and people would buy it.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I'm very much looking forward to Halo: Reach, but then I am a massive Halo fanboy and proud of it. They have been going on about it endlessly on Live, but then it does shift the most units.

I'll admit I'm also pretty excited about Fallout: New Vegas though. I just hope I don't lose another 70 hours to it like I did with Fallout 3 and all it's DLC. I'm not sure I can afford that much time with my already faltering social life.
NiteFall
I would argue that Starcraft 2 is probably the most anticipated game of the year in terms of sheer numbers of people waiting for it, just because of South Korea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.