Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
GundamGuy_UK
Ace Combat: Joint Assault is a good example of changing a series, but keeping what makes it "it" (unlike some others, I'm looking at you Resident Evil 4 and 5).

If you've ever played an Ace Combat game before, you know what to expect. It still has the same mission-based gameplay, the controls are pretty much the same as always, as are most of the mission objectives.

The difference is that it takes place in the real world. Fighting over Tokyo, the Middle East etc. The other major difference is that it's all co-op (though of course you can play single player too). Not just normal co-op, but many of the missions are "Joint Assault" missions. Remember in previous titles, some missions you would choose an A or B scenario (and could then play the other version later on another play through)? In this game, one player can play A and the other B, at the same time, joined up. What happens in one mission will affect the other in real-time, even though you're not fighting on the same map or with the same objectives. The idea is that it feels like you're fighting one large battle, on two fronts.

Other changes include paying for all ammo you use and damage you incur during a mission, the targeting system is changed so planes are more visible, and weapons and planes are a LOT more customizable.

If you're an Ace Combat fan you'd be buying it anyway, but if you aren't I'd still reccommend it.
sweetbutinsane
I can't decide whether to use my CEX vouchers to buy Red Dead Redemption or just hang onto them until after Fallout New Vegas and Fable 3 come out and put them towards getting one of them second hand. Hmm...
monkeyman
Fallout New Vegas will no doubt be better value for money.
sweetbutinsane
I've just watched the trailer for Fable 3 and it looks pretty cool.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Sep 23 2010, 12:23 PM) *
Oh the ending of that game is a pisstake. As is the DLC epilogue you have to pay for...

I quite liked the ending, it was... moving. But I built up the relationship between Elika and The Prince with all of the dialogue in each location.

What happens in the DLC as I don't think I'll get to play it.
monkeyman
DLC Epilogue Plot

In the DLC content, it is shown that The Prince and Elika survive, and retreat to an underground palace. Elika leaves the Prince, however they both end up battling Elika's father once again. They escape the first battle, reunited, and they both attempt to leave the palace alive. While on their way, Elika shows her disdain for the Prince multiple times, with the Prince insisting that by freeing her, they 'stand a chance' against Ahriman. In a final battle against Elika's father, the Prince succeeds in killing him by impaling him on spikes. In the end, Elika leaves the Prince in search for her people, and the Prince is left alone in the dark.
Rebus
I couldn't help it, but I had to pre-order the New Vegas Collector's Edition. It was the same with my Deadwood wooden chest edition, if it comes with a pack of cards and some poker chips, I'm a sucker for it:

fatseff1234
QUOTE (Rebus @ Sep 26 2010, 08:51 PM) *
I couldn't help it, but I had to pre-order the New Vegas Collector's Edition. It was the same with my Deadwood wooden chest edition, if it comes with a pack of cards and some poker chips, I'm a sucker for it:

Looks pretty, what's the big book, Artwork?

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Sep 26 2010, 08:11 PM) *
DLC Epilogue Plot

In the DLC content, it is shown that The Prince and Elika survive, and retreat to an underground palace. Elika leaves the Prince, however they both end up battling Elika's father once again. They escape the first battle, reunited, and they both attempt to leave the palace alive. While on their way, Elika shows her disdain for the Prince multiple times, with the Prince insisting that by freeing her, they 'stand a chance' against Ahriman. In a final battle against Elika's father, the Prince succeeds in killing him by impaling him on spikes. In the end, Elika leaves the Prince in search for her people, and the Prince is left alone in the dark.

Pfffft, talk about an un-happy ending. She could have atleast put out, and what happened to him getting the kingdom?
Rebus
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 28 2010, 11:38 AM) *
Looks pretty, what's the big book, Artwork?

It's actually a graphic novel called All Roads which is set a week prior to the start of New Vegas.
Llama
I bought a Rock Band drum set since HMV are doing them for a tenner. Working my way through GH: Metallica... I don't suck as much as I thought I would!
NiteFall
Installed Dead Rising 2. Uninstalled it a day later. Tedious, tedious, tedious. Crappy AI, annoying as all hell time limits and piss-weak story and characters all contribute towards making this one of the most boring games I have played in a long, long time. Yes, it has zombies and you can make stupid as fuck weapons by magically taping things together (but only in certain predetermined ways and even then they're not much use unless you find the magic card for them) but it really is a steaming pile of shit. Although I'm certain that mine will be the minority view and that I'll be drowned out by people's cries of "But ZOMBIES!!" and "But it's great once you've completed it 3 times and maxed everything out so it's not even got the elements of being a challenge anymore!" like I was with the original.
monkeyman
The time limit and need to play through multiple times is shite
NiteFall
So is the piss-poor AI, the fact that collision detection is wonky at best and outright broken at worst and the fact that a STEEL PIPE breaks after hitting a few zombies is just sodding ridiculous.
logger
I liked Dead Rising 1 but only after multiple tries on and off over 2 years. Don't think I'll bother with this now. Shame.
NiteFall
Oh no, if you liked the first Dead Rising you might like this as it's pretty much exactly the same game just with a couple of new gimmicks.
Jimmay
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 28 2010, 02:36 PM) *
Oh no, if you liked the first Dead Rising you might like this as it's pretty much exactly the same game just with a couple of new gimmicks.

I really liked Case: Zero but tried replaying the first game again and couldn't be arsed. I think Case: Zero works better as replaying it a few times to get all the different endings and unlocks only takes a couple of hours instead of a whole day each time you play though.
logger

I'll have to see what Seff says.
Rebus
Yeah, was considering getting Dead Rising 2 yesterday.....so in a toss up between this and L4D2, should I go with the latter, then?
fatseff1234

I want it, I loved the original... eventually. Besides, you know... zombies?
Bloomeeney
Playing Bioshock 2 atm, finding it very similar to the first one though - apart from the Big Sisters who are total bitches!!!!

Really looking forward to Bioshock Infinate though happy.gif
monkeyman
The 3DS is going to cost the equivalent of $300 when released in Japan. Holy crap that's a lot.
zeden
I played Case Zero too and I've got to agree with you Jimmay, the far more compact nature of it all really worked for me. I don't think Capcom would go wrong making levels within the sandbox of a Dead Rising game in order to make it linear in single player then open it up for multiplayer.
And multiplayer is what I'm most interested in where the sequel is concerned thanks to the drop in/drop out gameplay in DR2. I'm yet to play it, but the idea of being able to get someone in to help with the sadistically hard psychos and clear paths through the hordes is certainly a pull. There are some other multiplayer options too but I've not really checked out what they offer.
I'm still in two minds over whether to buy it seeing as I want a laptop, I'll have to see how the online stuff works before I decide.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Sep 29 2010, 11:06 AM) *
I played Case Zero too and I've got to agree with you Jimmay, the far more compact nature of it all really worked for me. I don't think Capcom would go wrong making levels within the sandbox of a Dead Rising game in order to make it linear in single player then open it up for multiplayer.
And multiplayer is what I'm most interested in where the sequel is concerned thanks to the drop in/drop out gameplay in DR2. I'm yet to play it, but the idea of being able to get someone in to help with the sadistically hard psychos and clear paths through the hordes is certainly a pull. There are some other multiplayer options too but I've not really checked out what they offer.
I'm still in two minds over whether to buy it seeing as I want a laptop, I'll have to see how the online stuff works before I decide.

I thought it was just gimicky multiplayer, the gameshow-esque business?

QUOTE (logger @ Sep 28 2010, 10:36 PM) *
I'll have to see what Seff says.

I'm honoured that I am the voice of Dead Rising 2!

I'll have it by Monday, thoughts on Wednesday!
sweetbutinsane

That is simply beautiful.

I've resigned myself to the fact that there will be no more gaming for me until the beginning of June thanks to uni work. It's going to be a long 8 months...
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Sep 29 2010, 10:23 AM) *
The 3DS is going to cost the equivalent of $300 when released in Japan. Holy crap that's a lot.

It's 188, yes. But the DSi was 150 when it came out. The 3DS is a pretty big leap from other versions really, and I don't just mean the 3D.

The DS lite was 100, and the DSi was 150. That's a much bigger price hike when you factor in what you actually get for your money.

When the DSi came out, you paid 50% more again just for a camera (which is never used in games) and you LOST GameBoy Advance usage. For 26% more than a DSi, you get 3D, the bigger screen, mutliple cameras, better wifi and connection capabilities, analogue nub, demo downloads, better multiplayer modes...

190 seems like a very reasonable price compared with other DS versions, but when you think that it's more expensive than a 360... that's when it seems expensive.
bigfatrich

Beautiful. I want.
logger
Finally got RDR. Just found my surname is the name of a ranch on the map. It's not a very wild west name.

Behind the counter of Gamestation they had this. I was tempted but I'm not paying 60 for it.

There was also a nice Halo Reach box but that was 50. Anybody played Halo Reach?
zeden
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Sep 29 2010, 06:28 PM) *
I thought it was just gimicky multiplayer, the gameshow-esque business?

You didn't think there was drop in/out stuff in the plot mode or you thought the multiplayer competitive stuff was just that?

I've played Reach logger so I guess I'll weigh in, and try to keep it shorter than I usually do when airing my thoughts.
Most obvious point out of the way first - It wont convert anyone who hates the other Halo games.
Single player is standard fare for the series. Laughable lack of plot beyond "go here, blow that up" each mission. Characters with zero depth who are exploited for what is supposed to be dramatic effect but thanks to a lack of reason to care become little more than reasons to skip cut scenes. The missions are like a greatest hits of Halo moments, featuring just about everything you've seen before but enhanced by a better engine and fancy armour powers. The AI is visibly better than most other FPS games thanks to the wealth of options the terrain offers. I regularly noticed the enemy squads trying to flank me or create distractions.
Multiplayer is the feature packed reason to buy the game thanks to the sheer weight of options. All the game tyoes are back plus the customisation options make it very easy indeed to make things run just about however you want them to.
The Forge World map is absolutely massive to cater for the expanded Forge mode that now allows for the building of Firefight style missions.

The big change is the armour abilities and these make for more diverse options in both single and multiplayer. Some combine old stuff, like the invisiblity and radar jammer or bubble shield plus healing effect, and they're as useful as you might expect if you've played Halo 3. You've got a Call of Duty style dash that's useful but dull as well as a dive move for the Elites that makes you a hard target to aim at. The big winners for me are the jetpack and hologram. Jetpack is well...a frickin' jetpack! Firing a rain of rockets from on high is very satisfying indeed.
The hologram is my favorite though. Tap LB and a fake version of yourself will keep running at where ever you were looking when you pushed the bumper creating a perfect distraction or method of making enemies waste ammo on thin air. Playing online, it's safe to say it works a treat on most people and causes a hell of a lot of confusion. But the very best part about it is that I get to say over the microphone "You think this is the real Quaid? It is!" about ten times every match.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Sep 30 2010, 09:08 AM) *
You didn't think there was drop in/out stuff in the plot mode or you thought the multiplayer competitive stuff was just that?

I didn't think there was Co-Op multiplayer at all, just the competetive stuff that looks a bit naff. Still looking forward to what should be a stellar title though!

QUOTE (zeden @ Sep 30 2010, 09:08 AM) *
But the very best part about it is that I get to say over the microphone "You think this is the real Quaid? It is!" about ten times every match.

Quote of the millennium.
Atara
Think we might flog our 360 and wii for cheap. We keep it there for 'just in case/because having everything is awesome' which are both pointless. Lost Odyssey aside I'll probably never touch it. I could just get a controller for the pc to play all the old games I'd like to.

Maybe I should play Final Fantasy 13 again, but I'll be so out of touch I'll never win a fight.

fatseff1234
QUOTE (Atara @ Oct 1 2010, 09:08 AM) *
Think we might flog our 360 and wii for cheap. We keep it there for 'just in case/because having everything is awesome' which are both pointless. Lost Odyssey aside I'll probably never touch it. I could just get a controller for the pc to play all the old games I'd like to.

Maybe I should play Final Fantasy 13 again, but I'll be so out of touch I'll never win a fight.

Eternal Sonata is probably more fun.
fatseff1234
Dead Rising 2 first impressions: Dodgy camera angle, the cartoony graphics of the first game are a bit better, Chuck's no Frank, control issues have been fixed and there's a larger variety of zombies!

All in all more survivor saving, zombie bashing and psycho killing leads to what looks like a fantastic sequel. I'll speak more once it's been played a few times.
logger
Red Dead Redemption makes me want to skin things.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 3 2010, 10:08 PM) *
Red Dead Redemption makes me want to skin things.

This combined with your new avatar makes you scary happy.gif .
sweetbutinsane
Logger is always scary.

In a good way, of course. smile.gif
fatseff1234
So what has actually happened to Frank West?
zeden
There's 360 exclusive content set after the events of DR2 that revolve around the two lead characters meeting and joining forces. Sounds like it's going to be made mainly for online co-op play.
fatseff1234
Booo! I have no Live access.
GundamGuy_UK
Sonic 4 really is what its name claims it to be - a Mega Drive-style Sonic game. People may complain about the target dash being in it showing it's "too modern", but the 16-bit series used to add things to their games and I think it works very well. The level design is just like the Mega Drive games, and nothing like the newer ones (ie the levels are tight, and full of Badniks), and the Special Stage is a lovely blend of the ones from 1 and 2, that works really well. My only complaint is the music isn't as catchy as the original games, but that's seriously my only gripe.

For Episode 1, you get 4 Zones, each comprised of 3 Acts and a Boss Stage. As far as I can tell, all 7 Chaos Emeralds can be obtained (you unlock the Special Stage in the same way as in Sonic 1 - finish an Act with 50 rings, and jump through the giant ring). With 15 Acts, it seems all Emeralds can be found.

No idea when Episode 2 will come out, how big it will be etc. Personally I would guess that it would be another 4 Acts and then that's the whole game, making it about the size of the earlier games.

It's 5.99 on the App Store, and comes to PS3, Wii and Xbox 360 next week. If you're even slightly on the fence about getting it, do so. It really is just what it promised it would be.
zeden
I'm still left wishing that Sega had thrown out all of the 3d graphics for Sonic 4 and gone for high definition 2d sprites. Something about the style in Sonic 4 irks me a bit and puts me off. I might get it next month when I've got more money.

I've just bought a new laptop so a whole new level of pc gaming has opened up to me now I've got a fairly reasonable set of specs to work with. I'm defninitely going to be getting Civilization 5 as soon as I can to check out the new non-stack attack focused combat and hex tiles. (and damn does Civ sound extra dull when I read that sentence back)
I've got a USB dongle coming that's going to let me plug in two PS2 controllers so I'm loading my hard drive up with a ton of old multiplayer games too. Add to that a working Saturn emulator and a copy of Radiant Silvergun and I'm set for months on the game front.

Also:Dongle.

I do so love that word. happy.gif
GundamGuy_UK
Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that. I'm sure in the original shots it was 2D.
I'm used to the Sonic Rush games though, so that art style is something I'm familiar with.

What I do wish they'd done though is made Sonic short and chubby like he used to be.
zeden
Definitely. It was fine for Sonic to follow the modern anime aesthetic when he transitioned to 3d and needed longer legs to make him look decent but in 2d short, squat Sonic is what looks right to me.
GundamGuy_UK
The loading screen shows 16-bit Sonic running along. It's like a constant reminder of how it could (should?) have looked.

The game itself is great though, other than the music being a bit uninspired like I said before. Level design is great, though. It's not the "hold right to complete level" model that recent games have been.
monkeyman
Trailers for Agito (PSP) and Vs XIII (currently PS3 only)
Agito looks very cool. Vs XIII looks a lot more open than XIII, I'm hoping talk of it having airships and an open world/map are true
Raven
Enslaved, not an Avatar rip-off at all.

No, sireee . . .
Sean of the Dead
Isn't that the one which is based upon the Chinese novel Journey to the West?
monkeyman
Indeed it is. Though it's more inspired by than based on. Monkey is still strong and violent but not "cheeky" and mischievous like in the original novel. Tripitaka is a woman etc. It's just plucked names/characters and a general theme more than anything (oh and he fights with a Bo staff and has a "cloud" vehicle he can use). The motion capture (and other stuff) is done by Andy Serkis which is cool. The games a bit rough around the edges and takes an hour or so to sort of get it's footing and the combat/platforming is a bit too simplistic but it is very good.

QUOTE (Raven @ Oct 13 2010, 09:57 PM) *
Enslaved, not an Avatar rip-off at all.

No, sireee . . .

O_o I don't understand sir.
Raven
^ Native people taking on the military, at least that's what the trailer they are playing at the mo makes it look like!
Atara
The world is indeed broken if the first thing people think of when Native people fight the military is Avatar.

But Chris, how can I game with bad platforming and unchallenging combat still be 'very good'? It sounds a bit pants to me going by everything you have told me about it.
zeden
Must...restist...urge to rip apart needless watering down of the Monkey story...must resist...
Of course I'll hold off, you know my thoughts Chris. wink.gif

A lack of challenge can be made up for with spectacle and high quality graphic for one play through. And in fairness to it, Enslaved certainly had both of those in spades in the demo I played. Whether it'll be so interesting a second play through might be an issue though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.