Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Julie
I'm beginning to see the appeal in this New Vegas business.
NiteFall
I'm with Eden on this one. I thought Dragon Age was fantastic. It is a bit of a slow burner and takes a little while to get you properly hooked in, but once it has it's thoroughly engaging and one of the best RPGs I have played recently. Just don't bother shelling out extra for the DLC, most of it's bobbins.
monkeyman
Orzammar (or however it's sprit) broke me. I am interested to see the improvements made in DA2, though it'll have to wait until later in the year.
Everlong
Don't get me wrong, I did like Dragon Age, and still have my copy, so may carry on with it someday. I just preferred Mass Effect 1 & 2, especially preferring 2 now.

sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (zeden @ Jan 15 2011, 04:48 AM) *
I'll stand alone in my liking of Dragon Age I suppose.

I liked it.

Just finished the first Professor Layton game last night and was quite pleased that I got over 10 hours out of it. Some of those puzzles were tricky!
Hobbes
Cracked open New Vegas yesterday. Played about an hour, decided to use Hardcore mode and chose Wild Wilderness as one of my perks. Interested to see how it turns out as I progress, my quite thorough playing of games in general means that I've done basically nothing so far, still getting back to grips with the control system, NATS, Pip-Boy etc.

Graphics aren't great though. Having just completed Bioshock 2 it's a big big dip in quality, although obviously the sheer volume of variation within FNV's story options, environment etc probably just means they had to cut back somewhere just to fit the game on the disc. Can anyone with a better knowledge of this sphere enlighten me as to why they're so noticeably sub-par? Mass Effect 2 is vast, vast game as well, and the graphics in that were fucking incredible.
NiteFall
I should imagine it's because Fallout 3 / New Vegas are running on the Oblivion engine, so the technology behind it is coming very close to the end of it's shelf life. Plus the level of interactivity in Fallout is much, much higher than in ME, which must account for quite a bit of space / memory along with the much greater use of physics effects. Think about it, in Mass Effect you're lucky if there's any detail to the scenery, a pot of flowers on a table and some nice reflective surfaces is about it, while in Fallout you've got tons and tons of crap lying about, all of which you can pick up / steal / knock over / throw at people's heads (to no effect) all of which must take up a hell of a lot of room.
zeden
Pinball FX 2 is free on Xbox live right now just to let you good people know.

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jan 15 2011, 12:55 PM) *
I'm with Eden on this one.

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Jan 15 2011, 08:15 PM) *
I liked it.

Glad to hear it. And I've got to agree about the DLC. Apart from Shale I'd be very hesitant to fork out for it and even then you've got to know that you wont want to use any of the other free characters in Shales place.

So, as we're on the subject, who did you romance and why? I was a bit taken aback my first play when I couldn't woo Leliana after cocking up a vital conversation. We ended up good friends. Alas my avatar is bound to the same fate as I am in real life.
Also, how did things turn out in the end? Who'd you side with?

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 15 2011, 01:09 PM) *
Orzammar (or however it's sprit) broke me. I am interested to see the improvements made in DA2, though it'll have to wait until later in the year.

That is the worst part of the game in terms of difficulty spikes and because it lasts forever. The Deep Mines section goes on and on doesn't it?
Does this mean you never actually finished it?

One last thing, I'm just checking out the pre-order bonuses for Marvel Versus Capcom 3 and I'm spoilt for choice. Think I'm going to plump for the shirt from The Hut seeing as it's one of the better ones and the game is cheaper there. Makes a nice change to see a reason to shop around a bit.
monkeyman
Oh I finished it quite thoroughly, That section just went on so friggin long and it was just tedious right until the end.
I was being a bit harsh, I did mostly enjoy it I just think that unless you play a class that isn't warrior it's quite boring due to the lack of combat actions which sucks. The story just seemed to fizzle out towards the end, though there were a lot of cool story and character moments.
I'd say play it if you've got nothing else to play, it's just not up there as one of my favourites. Of course my memory may be being warped by the experience of Orzammar (I think it was the last place I went before the final section).
Hobbes
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jan 15 2011, 09:43 PM) *
I should imagine it's because Fallout 3 / New Vegas are running on the Oblivion engine, so the technology behind it is coming very close to the end of it's shelf life. Plus the level of interactivity in Fallout is much, much higher than in ME, which must account for quite a bit of space / memory along with the much greater use of physics effects. Think about it, in Mass Effect you're lucky if there's any detail to the scenery, a pot of flowers on a table and some nice reflective surfaces is about it, while in Fallout you've got tons and tons of crap lying about, all of which you can pick up / steal / knock over / throw at people's heads (to no effect) all of which must take up a hell of a lot of room.

Very good points there, thanks for the information. Still looking forward to playing through the game immensely, just wondered about this particular aspect; my considerable lack of technical console/gaming knowledge sometimes means I'm completely in the dark about such matters. Gracias Kei.
monkeyman
The Gamembryo engine it uses is like, a decade old at this point isn't it? So glad they have made a brand new game engine for Elder Scrolls V, it looks quite gorgeous:

More screens/scans here
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (zeden @ Jan 15 2011, 11:57 PM) *
So, as we're on the subject, who did you romance and why? I was a bit taken aback my first play when I couldn't woo Leliana after cocking up a vital conversation. We ended up good friends. Alas my avatar is bound to the same fate as I am in real life.
Also, how did things turn out in the end? Who'd you side with?

I just went with Alistair because he was always in my party and therefore easier to get to fall in love with me.

I initially made two saves and tried out two endings, but I can't remember which I went with.
Kick in the Head
Oh, by the way, forgot to say - I've had an XBox for a few months now, but if anyone cares to add me, my XBox Gamertag is Beat Royale.

I don't really have any multiplayer games that everyone else plays, but still!
Atara
I was Alistair too, because he was a sweet little prude. I never finished it though, i had watched Chris do the dearven bit and couldn't stomach playing it so soon after watching Chris do it. Maybe I'll pick it up again as I did enjoy it.
GundamGuy_UK
Finished Mass Effect 2. Awesome stuff.
I saved everyone, full Paragon and Level 30. Brilliant.

Can't wait for the third one, but I'm glad it's not out for a while. I need a break between games, really.
zeden
I'll make a point of adding you when I get in Kick.

Alistair got pissy because I made a few choices towards the end that he didn't agree with. He ended up going off in a huff.
And seeing as the choice for guys is either horrid harridan Morrigan or chaste religious "mess up one conversation and we'll never get off" Lelianna, my first character got no sexy times at all. My angry dwarf on the other hand has been getting off with the vicious cow, cos he's a right bastard and all that.

I pre ordered DA2 yesterday, four days after the free upgrade to the Signature edition promotion ended. It's only 35 on shopto though so I can probably just buy the extra content with the money I've saved.

Also ordered Deus Ex 3 to get the extra dlc mission pack for free. They're advertising it as featuring a character from the other games. I'm thinking Tracer Tong or JC perhaps.

And those Skyrim pics look, for want of a slightly less over used term, epic.
monkeyman
Littlebigplanet 2 on Friday, Dead Space 2 Monday after, Killzone 3 February and Infamous 2 & Deus Ex March after is my game buying plans for now. I won't bother with Mass Effect 2 as we have it in the 360. Dragon Age 2 I'll get at some point when it's cheaper.
Good start to the year.

The Skyrim screenshots do indeed look epic. I just hope they make combat a bit more...visceral and less silly. It was all based on behind the scenes dice rolls wasn't it? So in Oblivion you could swing at a rat with a longsword but if your sword skill wasn't high enough you'd miss.
I'd like to see a fight system that takes more skill, looking for openings between enemies attacking/blocking to attack them or parry their hits. Critical hits like hitting them in the knack for one hit kills would be great also.
I'd like to see realtime armour/body damage and gore but I'm not hopeful.
fatseff1234
I would like Skyrims babies.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 17 2011, 12:28 AM) *
The Skyrim screenshots do indeed look epic. I just hope they make combat a bit more...visceral and less silly. It was all based on behind the scenes dice rolls wasn't it? So in Oblivion you could swing at a rat with a longsword but if your sword skill wasn't high enough you'd miss.

I know what you mean. The main reason I could never get into them is because it never felt like I was doing anything in combat - me attacking, seeing the sword move, and any damage incurred all seemed like very separate events. Fallout gets past this problem by having guns, so I can play those fine.
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 17 2011, 12:28 AM) *
It was all based on behind the scenes dice rolls wasn't it? So in Oblivion you could swing at a rat with a longsword but if your sword skill wasn't high enough you'd miss.

It was Morrowind that had that little quirk. I can remember playing it for the first time, charging at an enemy and finding that in spite of my sword passing through his head I was doing nothing. Glad that kind of thing has been relegated to the past.
Silky
Don't get me wrong, I completed Dragon Age twice, and I loved certain characters (mostly Morrigan wub.gif )
I think my mistake was getting the console version. It's just that I was expecting more.
I think that DA is a victim of Biowares reputation for truly amazing games. If any other studio had made it, i'd have no problems, I've just come to expect more from Bioware over the years.
monkeyman
@Zeden: I was sure Oblivion was the same, but perhaps I'm just misremembering. Either way, as Joe says they need to work on making you feel more connected to the combat, there were very few instances in Oblivion where I felt that way so I hope they manage it.

Has any played Dead Space: Extraction? It's coming free with the PS3 version of Dead Space 2 and I'm wondering if it's any good. It's been given an HD polish. I'm tempted to get a set of Move controllers for it.
Silky
I want Skyrim. Hopefully they will employ more voice actors this time.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 17 2011, 09:43 AM) *
Has any played Dead Space: Extraction? It's coming free with the PS3 version of Dead Space 2 and I'm wondering if it's any good. It's been given an HD polish. I'm tempted to get a set of Move controllers for it.

I only played the first couple of levels with my brother, but he really liked it as a fan of the original game. I'd view it more as a companion piece than an actual game, in that the gameplay isn't particularly great but it's focus is more on backstory and atmosphere than actual balls-to-the-wall action - a little like the Resident Evil: Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles games but even more dialogue and script sequences. A fine diversion which was impressive on the Wii, but not a lot else.
zeden
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 17 2011, 09:43 AM) *
@Zeden: I was sure Oblivion was the same, but perhaps I'm just misremembering. Either way, as Joe says they need to work on making you feel more connected to the combat, there were very few instances in Oblivion where I felt that way so I hope they manage it.

Nah, if you swung in Oblivion it would connect but if you were puny it would only take a tiny fraction of health and wouldn't stagger the enemy. Just watched a couple of vids to double check.

Bought Dishwasher off the Xbox arcade for 400ms points today. Value for money doesn't really cover it. I played 2-player with my mate Beezer for over an hour and we only got half way into the multiplayer levels.
monkeyman
PS3 version of Portal 2 gets Cross platform play
And other things
Alongside cross platform play, PS3 owners also get persistent cloud-based storage of saved games, cross platform chat (PC/Mac and PS3), and a digital Steam Play copy of Portal 2 for PC and Mac at no additional cost by simply linking your PSN and Steam accounts.

Awesome. Free PC copy with the PS3 version biggrin.gif.
I guess it also means all the free updates and additions will actually occur via steamworks now? As the PS3/360 version currently have none of the free Team Fortress 2 updates do they?
GundamGuy_UK
That's a very, very good thing. I'm surprised it happened on PS3 first, whatwith the whole "360 is more like a PC than a console" ethos they keep mentioning.

I'm very excited about this, though. It could be the start of some amazing things. Personally, I'd like to see all multiplayer with the option of cross-platorm. Cloud saving is awesome, too. You'd never lose your saves, no matter what console you're on.
Silky
Sounds brilliant.
A friend of mine who is an avid PC user and has never owned or used a console is still amazed that all this stuff is not cross platform by now.
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 18 2011, 04:54 PM) *
That's a very, very good thing. I'm surprised it happened on PS3 first, whatwith the whole "360 is more like a PC than a console" ethos they keep mentioning.

I'm very excited about this, though. It could be the start of some amazing things. Personally, I'd like to see all multiplayer with the option of cross-platorm. Cloud saving is awesome, too. You'd never lose your saves, no matter what console you're on.

I believe the reason it's not happening on the 360 (at the moment) is do to their policy regarding Live and things. The example I used of Team Fortress 2, in the PC version there's a hat collecting mechanic, crafting, new weapons and all sorts of tweaks that were free. Microsoft refused to release these things for the 360 version for free so Valve are going to release them in bundles to justify a price.
It's the same sort of reason the 360 doesn't have iplayer (because MS refuse to let Silver members have access to it).
Be interesting to see if they change there policies seeing as it looks like this is going to shift a lot of PS3 copies.
Silky
Watched a ten minute demo of Shogun 2 Total War last night. Looks like my PC is going to need an overhaul before March. wacko.gif
Atara
Microsoft need to sort their greed out or people are going to tire of paying for something that users on other platforms get for free. They also need to get some more decent exclusives. Poor 360, all dusty and lonely.
Hobbes
I think the advantage that 360 has though is that nearly everyone I know with a choice prefers it. So I reckon on all the cross-platform games it probably gets the most purchases/plays. I think it's still the best platform available, and a fee like paying 35 a year for LIVE is definitely worth it, stops so much hassle with hackers and stuff.
Silky
I have 8.00 to spend on my game card.
Any recommendations?
Ideally on xbox.
GundamGuy_UK
The 360 has a better controller for modern games. The position of the analogue sticks on the PS3 is stupid considering the L-stick is the primary input for every single game on the market. That was a HUGE factor for me.

They aren't my cup of tea, but Halo and Gears of War are massive franchises that just rake in the cash. PS3 may have more exclusives, but be honest - Killzone, Resistance: Fall of Man etc don't bring anything like as much attention really.

I think we discussed this before, but cross-platform games almost always look better on 360, too. PS3 exclusives look amazing, but games released on both don't look so good.

The final say on which console is best can only be down to you, though.
logger
Your mom hates Dead Space 2
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 19 2011, 06:38 PM) *
The 360 has a better controller for modern games. The position of the analogue sticks on the PS3 is stupid considering the L-stick is the primary input for every single game on the market. That was a HUGE factor for me.

I can't agree with that. Off centre analogues feel awful to me. Agreed that it's each to their own though. I love my PS3 and it's exclusives. If I have to take some slightly less better looking cross platform games (Red Dead for example), I can live with that. I own both anyways but games like Uncharted and Infamous are deal breakers for me.
sweetbutinsane
I gave FNV a whirl for a few hours today to de-stress after my exam. I was wondering why Rex kept attacking people at Camp McCarran - I guess it's because they were wearing hats and he doesn't like hats. I had to reload a few times before I figured it was best to just leave him by the gate until I was done.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 19 2011, 07:44 PM) *
I can't agree with that. Off centre analogues feel awful to me. Agreed that it's each to their own though. I love my PS3 and it's exclusives. If I have to take some slightly less better looking cross platform games (Red Dead for example), I can live with that. I own both anyways but games like Uncharted and Infamous are deal breakers for me.

Exactly, to each his own. Ever since the GameCube I've felt that having the stick where the D-pad used to be makes sense, because the L-stick now performs the functions of the D-pad. The thumbs rest naturally on the L-stick and the face buttons, then you reach down for the D-pad and the R-stick, which are secondary in games to the face buttons. Swapping the two around as in the PS3 makes little sense to me, other than to preserve the now dated look of the original DualShock.

I think that the gap between the two machines has never been closer. When the two first came on to the market, the PS3 was way behind (as was the PSP). Sony was really in trouble, I thought. The PS3 and 360 are now so close they almost blur into one (though the PSP is still behind on the DS, but Nintendo can never, ever be beaten on handhelds, ever).

It all goes with what you personally prefer, and for me the 360 is where it's at. I'm sure that had I bought a PS3, I'd feel the same about that.
zeden
That's such an irritating trait for a companion to have. It's like Boones hard on for killing Legion baddies except far more irritating.

Picked Dragon Age back up in an effort to get to the Awakenings content ahead of the sequels release. It's funny just how quickly a fight can turn with very little visual hint as to why. Sometimes I'm fighting away when suddenly it's like a switch has been flipped and all my physical attackers drop like flies. I've no doubt that there's magical effects or debuffs from nearby archers and the like, I just hope that Bioware have figured out how to give more information in the form of visual effects in the next installment.
Speaking of which, I was reading that the combat has had a big overhaul, the biggest part being that button inputs almost immediately translate to on screen action. I'm not all that sure about whether it'll feel like the same game given that pausing and choosing tactics is a big part of the original, but I'll be interested to see what they do all the same.
fatseff1234
I'd nom that om...
Llama
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jan 19 2011, 06:38 PM) *
The 360 has a better controller for modern games.

I just think it feels so much more comfortable to hold. I had a PS2 (and PS1) before I got my Xbox and the controllers just don't compare in terms of comfort. I hate the triggers on the PS3 controllers too, I couldn't happily play an FPS with those unless I got the clip on triggers.
Rua
FF XIII - 2?

Really? Huh.
zeden
Guess we ought to brace ourselves for Dress Spheres MKII. Considering the paradigm shift combat of XIII was basically dress sphere plus auto attacking I dread to think how they will change it for this sequel.
All I can say is that Deus Ex had better be absolutely stellar if I'm ever going to spend money on another Square Enix product. This premeditated franchising of games even before they are released is killing the company for me, the main FF games themselves looking to be little more than the hook to get you paying for more character development and continuation of the lackluster plot these days.
Llama
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 21 2011, 12:49 AM) *
FF XIII - 2?

Wut.

I'm sad now.
Rua
It beggars belief really & won't be released over here until Winter 2012.

Square Enix Europe has said that the game "exceeds Final Fantasy XIII in every aspect", with its every aspect being evolved including the battle system

Trailer here, if you could call it that.

I don't know if I'm more annoyed at them or my future self for caving & buying it, if it gets a decent review.

Silky
Not a problem for me, I've never been a huge fan of FF anyway.
Llama
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 21 2011, 11:52 AM) *
I don't know if I'm more annoyed at them or my future self for caving & buying it, if it gets a decent review.

Same.

I still heart Lightning though. Should probably actually finish XIII...
GundamGuy_UK
Wait, is Final Fantasy XIII good?

I'd always thought it was just running down one massive corridor for 50 hours, with the occasional cutscene or battle. The very definition of linear.
I've been avoiding it like the plague since it came out, am I missing something good?
Atara
Nah, that's just the first bit. It's gets better and opens up but its still a tad empty. People need to give XIII a break. The battle system was far superior than the tired old one seen in the PS1/2 games, faster paced, you have to concentrate and think more than you ever did to not die quickly the 'auto' is a bit of a jip but they can easily change that for the better, plus, you don't have to use it. It looks fantastic. The story isn't even bad it is the way they told it and the rubbish characters I didn't care about that truly ruined it. I think SE are finding their feet still in the next gen Market and if they go back to the story telling and character building like in my favourite FF games they will be onto a winner. They need to bring back the good elements of the old, the side quests that are fun and feel important rather than FF13s linear story play, grinding for an age, linear story, grinding angle, which is boring. I truly think they were trying to push their boundaries in terms of scope and graphics and in turn took the life out of it.

They basically take ages trying to establish a story etc and it's linear but moving, then they throw a big world at you but levelling is capped for a while. You can, however, grind for CP (exp) for as long as you like to take the advantage later. They just need to make the entire thing more relatable, and make it seem less linear.

I've picked it up recently and enjoyed fighting and levelling and suddenly it's not as irritating after the initial disappointment Which I believe is thanks to, at least in part, the pedestal I put 7/8/9 on.

After the catastrophic failure if 14 I think they will and from what they themselves had said will certainly be making changes for the better and hopefully delivering a more well rounded product. I hope they do.

Lost Odyssey on 360 is much better, though.
Llama
QUOTE (Atara @ Jan 22 2011, 08:14 PM) *
People need to give XIII a break. The battle system was far superior than the tired old one seen in the PS1/2 games, faster paced, you have to concentrate and think more than you ever did to not die quickly.

Yarp and yarp. I picked it up again today and died several times in quick succession because I'd forgotten how to play properly.

I still quite like it. It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't awful either. I definitely agree about it needing to be less linear though - I loved all the side quests in XII and really missed them in XIII.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.