Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Everlong
Even the demo let me pull someone towards me, then shoot them, then kick them, then shoot the explodey thing into them then detonate them.

Happy times.
NiteFall
It gets really fun when you get the silly weapons like the sniper rifle with guided bullets or remote detonated explosive bola launcher. Then even more fun when you unlock the upgrades for them.
zeden
It took me time but I adjusted to the 360 pad for fighting games eventually. For Street Fighter style affairs neither the 360 or PS3 has a controller fit for purpose really, a lack of six face buttons to properly map the controlls to is the problem really. I tend to end up using the analogue and d-pad in either case though, switching as and when I need it according to which moves are easier to pull on the different inputs.

Just checked my pre-orders and it seems Deus Ex has had another release date set at last - 27/05/11. So now instead of having Dragon Age 2 and Deus Ex fight for my time DA2 has some nice breathing space. LA Noire and Deus Ex only have a week between them though so I wonder what'll grip me more when both are in my hands. Feels like a good time to be into games, there's a serious abundance of AAA titles this year.
monkeyman
True true that they could both do with six button fighting pads (there must be a 3rd party pad that does this?).

I thought Infamous 2 was out next month but that's not till June. Can't afford games next month which sucks as I wanted to get Deus Ex. Portal 2 in April....so many games this year though, you're damn right there

zeden
There are fighting pads made by Madcatz but they don't have any analogue sticks at all so they're limited in their use. I'll stick to my arcade stick, that does the job better than the other options.
Atara
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 25 2011, 09:04 PM) *
True true that they could both do with six button fighting pads (there must be a 3rd party pad that does this?).

I thought Infamous 2 was out next month but that's not till June. Can't afford games next month which sucks as I wanted to get Deus Ex. Portal 2 in April....so many games this year though, you're damn right there

Why can't you afford games? Our wedding anniversary? Yeah that sucks major balls, dickhead tongue.gif

I am getting to do a game blog on our work magazine. Yay!

monkeyman
It sucks I can't afford both tongue.gif
Rebus
Oh Lord, Bulletstorm is on Steam, now I'm going to have to get it. And just when the Dead Money DLC was released too, oh well, these tins of beans should see me through the week.
zeden
QUOTE (Atara @ Feb 25 2011, 09:37 PM) *
I am getting to do a game blog on our work magazine. Yay!

Congraturation! Anything in particular you reckon you'll be focusing on or will it just be assorted gaming gubbins?

The pre-order bonuses for LA Noire have been announced and it seems shopto are going to miss out on my order because they don't have anything to do with it. The details are here.
I've chosen the play.com offer of an extra mission and the soundtrack. Bit of a bugger that there are missions exclusive to different companies though, I'd rather pre-order bonuses were kept standard between retailers if proper content is at stake as opposed to costumes or other superfluous stuff that doesn't matter so much. I did notice a little disclaimer indicating that the content will be available as DLC after 30 days so provided it's not too expensive I can cope with that as a compromise.
Rebus
Okay, so I've just d/led Dead Money on Steam and now a lot of red exclamation point artifacts for missing code/artwork/whatever have appeared and they‘re EVERYWHERE. Anyone have any ideas, otherwise I guess I'll just wait for a patch.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Everlong @ Feb 25 2011, 10:39 AM) *
Sweet! I can only really get the 360 version (don't really use my laptop for gaming, and it'd need a much better graphics card!) so I'm pleased!

Same here. biggrin.gif
Atara
QUOTE (zeden @ Feb 26 2011, 05:32 AM) *
Congraturation! Anything in particular you reckon you'll be focusing on or will it just be assorted gaming gubbins?

I'm not sure I pitched it as game reviews, recommendations, discussion Of announcements and stuff. My first entry takes inspiration from yours, actually. I'm doing my top 5 games I'm looking forward to this year.

I'll try to mix it up. I listen to all the gaming podcasts in the world ever so I know loads of stuff I can waffle on about if it is something that interests me. I'm a terrible writer (see my Nate blog) but hopefully this will help me improve.
zeden
@Rebus - That Dead Money glitch sounds a lot like what happened with a lot of the original Fallout 3 DLC when it was released broken. I'd guess you'll have to keep your eyes peeled for a patch. Checked the official forums to see if other have the same issue?

@Hayleigh - I read your blog and thought the quality of writing made mine look crappy so have no fear on the writing front, you're fine!
Atara
That is a compliment indeed coming from you. Cheers Z
zeden
If we keep going like this there's not going to be space for people to post, what with our egos taking up all the space. happy.gif

I'm intending to crack on with some more blog stuff when I get back to work next week. I've got an article about my finally giving up on Square Enix to work on and another looking at the possible outcomes from choices made in Mass Effect 1 and 2 in the final part. Knowing me they'll both end up as sprawling thousand word rambles, though hopefully mildly entertaining and informative ones.
I probably ought to follow up on that list of anticipated games too now that I've got Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and have played the Crysis 2 demo.
Atara
FF13 isn't that bad, get over it tongue.gif

I want to read it and then I will flame you to death in your comments page.

I am not sure how my blog will work, I can't email to my work address from a none-work address so i can't do anything unless I am at work, which is a bit of a nightmare. Urgh
zeden
I'm going to have such fun flame baiting you! laugh.gif

Marvel Vs Capcom 3 is such pure fan service. Having Deadpool scream at me for not recording my matches or Galactus tell me I'm like an ant attacking the sun is brilliant. Such a shame the online aspect of the game works so poorly, it's slo-mo lag time all the time it seems.
monkeyman
Hopefully they'll sort it soon. SSF4 runs perfect doesn't it?
I love that deadpool moonwalks when you walk backwards and walks in such a gimpy way when you walk forwards.
zeden
Perfectly might be a stretch but it does work. I reckon the slow down is down to the sheer level of action at any given moment, SSFIV is a snails pace by comparrison.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 27 2011, 05:55 PM) *
I love that deadpool moonwalks when you walk backwards and walks in such a gimpy way when you walk forwards.

I watched a video to see what that's like. I love how he can grab hold of the health bar and use it as a weapon.
Julie
I really must stop playing Alan Wake while home alone at night. It doesn't help that I was already terrified of dark forests.
Hobbes
Loved Alan Wake. Very excited to see if there ends up being a sequel. I very much hope there is. They certainly leave the door open for one.
GundamGuy_UK
I really need to play more of that. I got it with my 360, played the first episode, loved it, and then never touched it again. This was in November.
I even bought both the DLC episodes.
Silky
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 28 2011, 06:16 PM) *
I watched a video to see what that's like. I love how he can grab hold of the health bar and use it as a weapon.

This makes me happy. laugh.gif
Llama
Finally getting round to playing Dragon Age (the first one) and quite enjoying it so far. I wish there was a little more direction though, I had to Google a few things already before finding out about features I didn't know existed and seemed quite important.

Also downloaded the Bulletstorm demo after doing the webpage for it and watching the trailers we got given to put up, which are all great and a bit weird. It is fun but not as fun as I was expecting... I don't think I'm good enough at it and am just failing to make the exciting things happen.
Everlong
Played through the first two chapters of Bulletstorm, and a little bit of Chapter Three. It's pretty nuts but I haven't got to the more fun guns from the demo yet.

Had an actual proper sense of "AARRRGGHH SHIT!!" during the second chapter with That massive grinder wheel thing heading right for me and Ishi.

I should play games more. My Xbox has just been sitting there a lot lately while I do other things instead. I've barely scratched the surface of Fallout: NV.
monkeyman
I keep meaning to get and play Akan Wake and then remember it would involve turning the xbox on. Well, plugging it in first. And getting batteries for the controllers.
Oh Teh Noes
I've recently, after months of searching, found my PS2 again. So now I'm going on a binge and I've been re-playing Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Speed Freaks, Team Buddies, Resident Evil 2, Tekken 2 (Daisy Steiner wins!), the whole of the Tomb Raider series up until Chronicles, WWF SmackDown! 2 and Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3.

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
GundamGuy_UK
Pokémon Black and White are out today. Famitsu gave them a perfect score, which no other Pokémon game has received (and only 14 other games in the past 25 years have, total). So it sounds pretty good.

I pre-ordered them a while ago so they'll be here today, but I'm keeping it sealed for two weeks until Chelsea gets here (I'm having Black, she's having White).
Silky
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Mar 4 2011, 02:14 AM) *
Pokémon Black and White are out today. Famitsu gave them a perfect score, which no other Pokémon game has received (and only 14 other games in the past 25 years have, total). So it sounds pretty good.

I pre-ordered them a while ago so they'll be here today, but I'm keeping it sealed for two weeks until Chelsea gets here (I'm having Black, she's having White).

Here's hoping that the new pokemon are actually good. It might be nostalgia playing its part here, but all the newer pokemon seemed a bit crap to me when I got Diamond.
Everlong
Question: My 360 has now crashed during cutscenes of two different games (Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and Bulletstorm), it's heading for another RRoD, isn't it?
Llama
QUOTE (Oh Teh Noes @ Mar 3 2011, 09:49 PM) *
I've recently, after months of searching, found my PS2 again. So now I'm going on a binge and I've been re-playing Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Speed Freaks, Team Buddies, Resident Evil 2, Tekken 2 (Daisy Steiner wins!), the whole of the Tomb Raider series up until Chronicles, WWF SmackDown! 2 and Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3.

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Can I come round and play?
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Mar 4 2011, 02:14 AM) *

The fact TM's are infinite use already makes it sound better than other Pokemanz. Think I'll get hold of it tonight. I've almost finished the incredibly awesome Tactics Ogre revamp, so this can fill my lunchtime gaming spot. I liked Soulsilver a lot but as soon as I beat the champion I stopped playing.
Oh Teh Noes
QUOTE (Llama @ Mar 4 2011, 11:42 AM) *
Can I come round and play?

Of course! I'll dig the other controller out! biggrin.gif
Silky
I dont like that cough Garrus.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Silky @ Mar 4 2011, 08:56 AM) *
Here's hoping that the new pokemon are actually good. It might be nostalgia playing its part here, but all the newer pokemon seemed a bit crap to me when I got Diamond.

I honestly don't intend to sound patronizing or to try and imply that I know more than you or anything in saying this because it's not something we'd know or indeed I knew until recently, but in fact a lot of the "blobs with eyes" that we dismiss as shit and lazy designs in the newer games are actually based on real weird animals, or Japanese mythology. Very, very few Pokemon are just made up on the fly, the vast majority are a reference to something, and if you happen to know what the reference is it's as obvious as Tauros being based on a bull.

I don't know what many of the newer ones are based on, myself. But to GameFreak's credit, they do put a lot of effort into creating these new monsters, and now that there's more room on the cartridges for more moves, many of them also have unique attacks based on the mythology or animals they're inspired by.

I don't know much about it, but it's amazing to find out about how something I dismissed as being shit and uninspired through Japanese eyes is a lovely little homage to an old folk legend or whatever. I only know a couple of the new ones, because they're not inspired by things I'm aware of.

The gameplay of the Pokemon games is just perfect, and it's nice that they add new things to each game, and even nicer that they're optional. Contests etc. aren't for everyone, and not forcing us to play them is great. That's why things like Triple Triad in Final Fantasy VIII are always so nice.
Silky
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Mar 4 2011, 07:35 PM) *
I honestly don't intend to sound patronizing or anything in saying this because it's not something we'd know or indeed I knew until recently, but in fact a lot of the "blobs with eyes" that we dismiss as shit and lazy designs in the newer games are actually based on real weird animals, or Japanese mythology. Very, very few Pokemon are just made up on the fly, the vast majority are a reference to something, and if you happen to know what the reference is it's as obvious as Tauros being based on a bull.

I don't know what many of the newer ones are based on, myself. But to GameFreak's credit, they do put a lot of effort into creating these new monsters, and now that there's more room on the cartridges for more moves, many of them also have unique attacks based on the mythology or animals they're inspired by.

I don't know much about it, but it's amazing to find out about how something I dismissed as being shit and uninspired through Japanese eyes is a lovely little homage to an old folk legend or whatever.

The gameplay of the Pokemon games is just perfect, and it's nice that they add new things to each game, and even nicer that they're optional. Contests etc. aren't for everyone, and not forcing us to play them is great. That's why things like Triple Triad in Final Fantasy VIII are always so nice.

Don't worry, you didn't. I really should get back into those games. Don't get me wrong, there were some awesome pokemon in the later games. As I said, I suspect that most of it is down to nostalgia.
GundamGuy_UK
Here's an example I remember, because it's a Pokemon I thought was rubbish and lazy:
Castform, a Pokemon who changes the weather, is based on these little dolls people hang up to honor wind spirits and bring an end to winter (or something along those lines). Its Japanese name is a pun on what the little dolls are called - lots of Pokemon have pun names in Japan (as here)
Llama
Are those bollocks or boobs?
Oh Teh Noes
I still maintain that the first 151 Pokémon were the best. Most of the ones that came after, no matter whether they were based on anything or not, always seemed lazy and not quite as good to me.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Llama @ Mar 4 2011, 08:43 PM) *
Are those bollocks or boobs?

Whatever you want, baby.
Castform changes shape, so there's the joke explained

There, SFW version.
zeden
Heh, Poke balls.
Llama
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Mar 4 2011, 08:49 PM) *

There, SFW version.

Love it.
fatseff1234
I say boobs... ^^.
monkeyman
There've been quite a few good tweaks to the formula in Pokemon black: The first gyms leader will use a pokemon opposite to the element of your starter, I guess to encourage players like me who usually level their starter for the first few hours to level other pokemans; a lot of the environments are more interesting like the big skyscrapered city, it makes a change from the normal towns you come across; TM's are able to be used infinitely which is again probably for players like me who would often hold out for ages on using a TM until I knew I could replace it; it's good because it means I'm much more likely to customise my pokemon much earlier in the game; there's some good streamlining stuff like pokemon centres/pokemarts being in the same building, and battles seem to move a lot quicker; its cool having all new pokemon, it sometimes makes the game feel brand new (even though the formula is pretty much same old);the pokemon sprites/models are no longer static images which is a nice touch but is still quite archaic; the images of your pokemon are incredibly pixellated, it's quite stupid really. The designs have been made to be viewed from a distance but when the camera zooms in during a fight it gets oversized and pixellated to hell and it's pretty poor.
The AI can still be incredibly dumb too; an enemy had one of my weak pokemon down to 2HP and instead of defeating it with an attack whilst I whittled it's health away it kept using leer, so I beat it... :/

Overall I'm really enjoying it, and im not bored like i was expecting to be (I got bored of Soulsilver very quickly)but for The next game (3DS exclusive I imagine) they really need proper character models and have all moves fully animated no matter how long it takes them; the lazy fucks.

Killzone 3 (apologies in advance for what I'm sure will be an overuse of the words: cool, awesome, excellent and great [I am a terrible writer and this is basically a stream of my thoughts])

Good Stuff:

-The cover system is still beautiful, there's a new slide to cover mechanic which works really well and is a great addition. Having a cover system in an FPS makes so many other FPS's seem so archaic with their strafe in and out of cover shooting mechanics. Great stuff

-Three weapon slots instead of two (In KZ2 you had 2 slots, one to carry any weapon and one that was always a pistol, so if you had picked up a rocket launcher to take on a tank and there were also ground troops to shoot you were reduced to using your pistol or wasting a rocket shell, in KZ3 you have the default pistol slot, a medium weapons slot [assault rifles, shotguns, sub machine guns etc,] and a third slot for heavy weapons [sniper rifles, rocket launchers, flame thrower] it just makes more sense in terms of gameplay and makes the gun battles flow much much better)

-There's some great new weapons (depleted petricide liquidiser, silenced machine gun, WASP etc) and some great tweaked old weapons (weapons that have scopes or larger clips than they did in KZ2)

-There's some awesome new enemy types (jet pack Helghast, the MAWLR!), though there really needs to be more variation of design of each enemy type.

-There's lots of awesome lacations/beautiful scenes (MAWLR fight [I wish I could get across just how incredible looking the on foot section of this fight is, I was in actual awe in parts], petricite fence, a really cool Helghan jungle, a great fight in low gravity and a star wars like dogfight section

-There're Some cool sections with the jetpack and Exo suit, they both work wonderfully (you can see Sevs hands working the controls and it looks really good); though looking at the jetpack it's design is silly, it has thrusters in the front that would melt you right up.

-I really liked the stealth section, though it was silly that you were hiding in very sparse, short grass (that were quite poor looking sprites that would flatten as you moved through), but it was a nice change of pace from the rest of the game, and gave you lot of opportunity to check out the great jungle environment.

-Allies can revive you! In KZ2 you could revive your ISA buddies but they couldn't revive you, silly! Nice to see this addition  

Bad things

-No blindfire, the cover system is great but there's no ability to blindfire even though Allies/enemies do.

-Not enough variation of enemies/within enemy types, it can feel a little bit samey at times

-The story is great, but the way it's told is incredibly disjointed so you have to piece it together more, not as exciting and enjoyable as it would be if it was more coherent, and it all ends a bit too abruptly.

-There are a few too many on rails vehicle sections. Luckily they don't go on too long but yeah, they need to cut back on these. Some are good fun, some not so much.

-Shooting from the hip is a bit too accurate with most weapons, it removes some of the challenge really.  An easy fix!

-There is co-op, but it is local split screen only (which is cool), but having no online co-op seems like such a bizarre choice. It doesn't bother me too much I guess as I tend to prefer playing SP games alone but I guess I can see how it would bug others more

-I get that enemies are very heavily armoured (especially later on) but they are a bit too bullet spongy; though having said that headshots are very effective so not aiming for central mass would be good.

It wasn't as fun an end battle as KZ2 the final battle is you in a little spaceship shooting other ships/missiles out of the air instead of a really challenging gun battle. It's difficult I guess to find a final battle to end the game that really works, but this wasn't it.  And the cutscene before the credits ended way to quickly, not enough resolution to the 10ish hours I spent playing. There's a very short cutscene after the initial credits but it's annoyingly (and purposefully obvs) ambiguous and left me feeling a bit miffed that that's all the resolution I get after playing the whole game. Still what takes place at the end was awesome. Just could have done with more.

The negatives for the most part are minor and really didn't detract from what was overall a damn good FPS, the cover system alone makes it better than the majority of shooters out there, it looks fantastic and the sound is amazing.
I think most of the problems are easy fixes for the next game. Well except maybe getting the story and end battle right and well balanced.  That's a hard thing to do I think.

9/10
zeden
Nice breakdowns there. Less of this putting provisos before what you write, it's fine!
I can't say I'm all that fussed about the latest Pokemon. Beyond having to play it on my ancient brick of an original DS there's just not enough change to draw me in. When Nintendo finally implement something remotely decent in terms of an online system and upgrade the graphics then I'll jump back on board but for now I'll be passing.

I'm just coming up on the end of Mass Effect yet again and despite this being play six I'm still surprisingly into it. It's been fun playing and seeing what references to the second and possibly third games are scattered around. I've certainly got a few theories about how the final part will tie a lot of stuff together.
Silky
QUOTE (zeden @ Mar 8 2011, 02:36 AM) *
I'm just coming up on the end of Mass Effect yet again and despite this being play six I'm still surprisingly into it. It's been fun playing and seeing what references to the second and possibly third games are scattered around. I've certainly got a few theories about how the final part will tie a lot of stuff together.

Yeah, I started ME2 again recently and I had to laugh whilst wondering around the Citadel, when an NPC said "I've been trying to get a refund for two years." and having played ME1 recently, I recall the same guy arguing with a Taurian at the market, trying to return something without a purchase order. Just one of a thousand small touches that make that series great. Good old Bioware.
monkeyman
@Zeden: I think it has some good online features but I don't know for sure (pirated). The 3DS apparently has proper non retarded online abilities so I'd imagine thatd be something sorted for the 3DS version. I won't ever be buying a 3DS so this is probably the last pokemon game I'll play.

The story is probably the "heaviest" of all the pokemon games. That's not to say it's good or it's been done well but still....the PA comic on it made me laugh:

I wouldnt have paid money for the game. I like it, but it's really just another pokemon game and they absolutely have to make changes and upgrades for the next version (which will likely be 3DS so has no excuse not to be improved!)
zeden
Dragon Age 2 is in the post and winging its way to me. I was pleased to read that there's an option to change the combat back to auto-attacking instead of being limited to the Dynasty Warriors button bash-a-thon that the demo offered and I'm very thankful for that. All this talk of it creating greater feedback for the player is a lot of hyperbole, what it forces is little more than the players thumb into constant action.

Also, Deus Ex has once again been pushed back to August for some reason. It's good because it gives me some breathing space to enjoy LA Noire properly but at the same time that's a much longer wait than I'd have hoped for. I just hope it's pristine and polished after all this delay, anything less is going to be a tad irritating after such a wait.
zeden
Sorry for the double post but I just finished Mass Effect again and I HAVE to repeat just how awesome the ending is. And then the credits play and it is epic. I frickin' love M4 pt2, such an excellent song to end things on. The hair on the back of my neck has been on end since I fired the last shot.
I want to start part 2 but knowing that there's another bit of DLC on the way I don't want to go rushing in only to have to wait for the Arrival content that presumably marks the arrival of the Reapers on Earth. With any luck Dragon Age 2 will arrive tomorrow and distract me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.