Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (zeden @ May 22 2011, 02:11 AM) *
I've used The Hut too and they're fine. Got Marvel Versus Capcom 3 to me on time. Unlike a certain company I'm deeply unimpressed by...

To be fair, if Play said they'd dispatched it and it hasn't arrived, that's Royal Mail's fault, not Play's.
zeden
True but it wasn't dispatched till Tuesday so it's a little from column A, a little from column B. Whatever the case Play wont get any more of my money ever again.
monkeyman
It probably doesn't help all their stuff is sent 2nd class as well...
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 23 2011, 11:05 AM) *
It probably doesn't help all their stuff is sent 2nd class as well...

Because it's free...

What annoys me more is Amazon's policy of deliberately not posting your order for several days if you choose free delivery. They deny it, of course, but that's exactly what they do.
GundamGuy_UK
I don't think so. More times than not I get it next day when I choose free delivery. It'll dispatch almost immediately, and arrive the next day or the day after.
It's happened to me so often that I don't see the point in paying now.
Silky
I'm loving finally having a decent spec gaming PC.
Replayed Portal. I'm playing both Napoleon Total War, and Shogun 2 Total War, as well as Mount & Blade.
Planning to purchase a few newer PC games come pay day.
zeden
Well it never arrived today so I've gone out and bought it from Game and I'll be returning the other copy to Play as soon as it arrives. Fringe benefit is that I now have two of the pre-order bonuses, The Naked City, Slip of the Tongue and the Badge challenge.
Thoroughly enjoyed what I've played so far, just moved to the homicide desk. I'm impressed at how hard it is to excel at the interrogation and evidence collection, it's nice to have to learn a new discipline in a game as opposed to picking up the pad and bashing through without a second thought as I usually do.
I've also laughed pretty hard at some of it then found myself a bit taken aback at just how dark the cases can get.
I'm going to take my time from here out, I'm at 25% completion after one sitting.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 23 2011, 04:07 PM) *
I don't think so. More times than not I get it next day when I choose free delivery. It'll dispatch almost immediately, and arrive the next day or the day after.
It's happened to me so often that I don't see the point in paying now.

Yeah, I find Amazon are really speedy with their free delivery too. HMV are pretty decent. And Play are a bit crap (extremely crap if what you want isn't in stock - they never get the thing back in despite claiming they will within 1-2 weeks and I've twice waited for almost two months before giving up). I still order from them though because they're often the cheapest and therefore I don't mind too much about them failing at quick delivery.

I'm starting to think of a lot of games that I want to buy for over the summer. My poor Xbox hasn't been used since about February and it deserves some attention.
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ May 23 2011, 07:56 PM) *
Yeah, I find Amazon are really speedy with their free delivery too. HMV are pretty decent. And Play are a bit crap (extremely crap if what you want isn't in stock - they never get the thing back in despite claiming they will within 1-2 weeks and I've twice waited for almost two months before giving up). I still order from them though because they're often the cheapest and therefore I don't mind too much about them failing at quick delivery.

I'm starting to think of a lot of games that I want to buy for over the summer. My poor Xbox hasn't been used since about February and it deserves some attention.

I ordered a lens for my camera on Amazon recently, which was "in stock - only 4 remaining" and "sold by Amazon.co.uk", and chose free delivery. They repeatedly missed the dispatch date claiming "delays with suppliers"... How can that be the case if there were 4 in stock (and still 4 left the day after, apparently) already? I asked customer services and they just denied that it was ever in stock and said "you must have been looking at the marketplace sellers", which isn't true. Bumped my delivery option to first class instead of free delivery, and mysteriously it dispatched the same day. It's just a thinly veiled priority queue. Pay them more and you push into the queue past anyone who paid less for delivery.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ May 23 2011, 06:10 PM) *
I've also laughed pretty hard at some of it then found myself a bit taken aback at just how dark the cases can get.

Just you wait until disk three... bleurgh!
Everlong
I'm still on disk one, and have got up to the case where The murdered nekkid woman is found, and I've gone to the bar.

I live ramming into things just to get the reactions of whatever partner I'm working with at the time. Sometimes they say nothing when you have a massive smash. Others they freak out if you just clip something.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Everlong @ May 24 2011, 11:18 AM) *
The murdered nekkid woman is found, and I've gone to the bar.

Erm... which one? wink.gif
monkeyman
QUOTE (Everlong @ May 24 2011, 11:18 AM) *
I'm still on disk one, and have got up to the case where The murdered nekkid woman is found, and I've gone to the bar.

I live ramming into things just to get the reactions of whatever partner I'm working with at the time. Sometimes they say nothing when you have a massive smash. Others they freak out if you just clip something.

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ May 24 2011, 11:32 AM) *

It's strange seeing that level of nudity and for it to be deadly serious and not the least bit titillating in a game. Isn't it? Especially in a Rockstar game.
Everlong
It's a bit grim.

QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ May 24 2011, 11:32 AM) *

Haha, the first, when you join homicide.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ May 23 2011, 09:43 PM) *
I ordered a lens for my camera on Amazon recently, which was "in stock - only 4 remaining" and "sold by Amazon.co.uk", and chose free delivery. They repeatedly missed the dispatch date claiming "delays with suppliers"... How can that be the case if there were 4 in stock (and still 4 left the day after, apparently) already? I asked customer services and they just denied that it was ever in stock and said "you must have been looking at the marketplace sellers", which isn't true. Bumped my delivery option to first class instead of free delivery, and mysteriously it dispatched the same day. It's just a thinly veiled priority queue. Pay them more and you push into the queue past anyone who paid less for delivery.

How rude of them. Yeah, they don't seem very happy about the fact that they have to offer free delivery now. That's why they try and trick you by setting the default delivery option to a paying one rather than the free one.
zeden
Turns out Play are using Citipost to deliver their goods so Royal Mail go blameless. I've got the game all set to be mailed for a return now. Checking out the Twitter feeds for @playcom and @playcomhelp makes it clear they failed a great many customers with this situation and it's not just restricted to LA Noire, there are a lot of people complaining about things not even being dispatched on time let alone delivered. I wonder what's happened with the company to result in this steep drop off in service?

In slightly more positive news I've got the pilot podcast for a gaming show recorded with my brother. After a brief intro we get down to discussing Square Enix, our past love for their games and dwindling faith in their output. Just need to record a bit of blurb for the beginning and end, set up an account to host it on and it'll be available to all who want a listen. Hopefully that'll be at least a couple of you lovely people. wink.gif
fatseff1234
QUOTE (Nonus Aequilibrium @ May 23 2011, 09:43 PM) *

To be fair I've never had an issue with either Amazon or the Royal Mail, I haven't been purchasing much as of late though. Still doesn't excuse poor response though.

QUOTE (Everlong @ May 24 2011, 12:07 PM) *
It's a bit grim.

Haha, the first, when you join homicide.

Blonde lass, got murdered?

QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 24 2011, 11:40 AM) *
It's strange seeing that level of nudity and for it to be deadly serious and not the least bit titillating in a game. Isn't it? Especially in a Rockstar game.

Is it wrong that I just thought that they needed a shave? happy.gif

But seriously, I don't know, it's all context sensitive. Dead bodies aren't particularly a turn on so immediately such notions are forced from my mind. Whereas I guess Rockstar are notorious for their pin up cover girls LA Noire seemed to be a much more mature effort and seemed removed from the GTA universe. Which did the game wonders, I think. Not that there's anything wrong with the GTA universe I just don't think it could have coped with this amount of 'serious'.

Anyway to conclude my ramblings Games Developers = irrelevant when it comes to boobs, it's all about the context!

EDIT: It's also a good thing for the whole Media/Violence argument doo-hickey, it shows that games can be a mature medium rather than just cleavage and shooting things.
Everlong
Yep, that's the one.

Cole picks up the golf club and doesn't put two and two together. Is he dumb sometimes, or is it a glitch?
monkeyman
@Fatseff: I agree that the developer doesn't matter. It was just interesting and a slightly odd experience at first. Excellent though. Finished Homicide after 10 hours and it was damn good fun. Could have maybe done with a longer cutscene afterwards though.
Atara
Don't amazon sign you up for amazon prime if you take free delivery?
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Atara @ May 26 2011, 11:02 PM) *
Don't amazon sign you up for amazon prime if you take free delivery?

Only if you choose to sign up for Amazon Prime by clicking that button. The "Super-Saver Delivery" is just standard free delivery.
I'm not entirely sure what you actually get for having Prime.
zeden
Leadership of the Autobots?
GundamGuy_UK
That made my day, and it's not even 7am.
Llama
You get free next day or one day delivery. Well worth signing up for a trial of it if you're planning some purchases. You can set it to expire as soon as you set the account up and then after 30 days it just deactivates without any bother.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (monkeyman @ May 26 2011, 10:53 PM) *
@Fatseff: I agree that the developer doesn't matter. It was just interesting and a slightly odd experience at first. Excellent though. Finished Homicide after 10 hours and it was damn good fun. Could have maybe done with a longer cutscene afterwards though.

Yeah, I agree it was a tad surreal, not sure it's been in anything else to be fair, the nekkid experience.

QUOTE (Everlong @ May 26 2011, 05:39 PM) *
Yep, that's the one.

Cole picks up the golf club and doesn't put two and two together. Is he dumb sometimes, or is it a glitch?

Golf club?

I must be stupid too.
Silky
Shogun 2 Total War is the bees knees.
Everlong
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ May 27 2011, 10:32 AM) *
Yeah, I agree it was a tad surreal, not sure it's been in anything else to be fair, the nekkid experience.

Golf club?

I must be stupid too.

I found it by accident myself, he looks at it, it even zooms in, and he doesn't think "Oh, a golf club near a battered body, this could be the murder weapon!", he just puts it down again.

Though, when I play further on this weekend he might find the actual proper evidence and I'm just jumping to conclusions whilst a computer game character thinks logically laugh.gif
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Cole Phelps habit of saying some lines VERY LOUDLY during interviews is tickling me. Especially when you're sat in a very quiet interview room.
monkeyman
Heh, we laughed about that the other day when he's talking to some guy in a quiet almost empty bar and he's praticalky shouting. Good times.
Looking forward to sinking my teeth into Vice (lulz).

Been playing a bit of Castlevania and I have to admit any arguments raised about it being a God of war rip-off aren't very fair or accurate.
zeden
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 27 2011, 06:55 AM) *
That made my day, and it's not even 7am.

Glad to hear it. Came to mind so instantly I had to post it.
Silky
Installing Borderlands on my new PC.
Not played it before.
zeden
Twenty minutes of Dead Island footage. Oddly enough given what Silkys post was about, it looks a lot like a melee focused version of Borderlands in terms of gameplay. Can't say I'm feeling at all wowed by what's shown though one of the zombies had an interesting design, ribcage on show.
Silky
QUOTE (zeden @ May 31 2011, 09:25 AM) *
Twenty minutes of Dead Island footage. Oddly enough given what Silkys post was about, it looks a lot like a melee focused version of Borderlands in terms of gameplay. Can't say I'm feeling at all wowed by what's shown though one of the zombies had an interesting design, ribcage on show.

Yeah, I figure I will rent it to see if I get on with it first.
monkeyman
It looks like what I thought Left4Dead would be like (as in an open world not stages).
I'm sad they've taken out the layered and highly detailed damage to zombies though. That was what got me interested in the game in the first place :/
monkeyman
The box art is pretty damn cool:

fatseff1234
To be honest it looks great, imo.

I always have wanted a first person zombie-em-up (Left 4 Dead doesn't count due to it being on-line only). It looks good. I just hope that there's some back story dotted about the place like Fallout's Terminals or Oblivions Diaries.
monkeyman
Oh I will likely get it, first person melee games arent very common and ones where the focus isn't on shooting, especially from enemies are even more interesting. It's just a shame that lovely skin/muscle/bone modelling was removed (I imagine due to the limitations of the consoles), that was an awesome hook.
A melee focused Borderlands style of game is fine by me
fatseff1234
Oh totally.

I've seen it written that the gameplay in that video is from a really early build so such bodily damage may yet be included... maybe the censors thought it was too graphic? The meat cleaver certainly seemed to be quite effective from what I saw.

I also think that the whole 'throwing' mechanic seemed quite interesting.

I'm just really looking forward to the open exploration of such a world, hopefully there'll be some decent survivor side quests and not just generic templates.

I thought that the graphics were quite stunning and the island itself looks like a nicely realised 'paradise'. Reckon we'll see the outbreak or that we'll get thrust into the deep end?

In other news: Hurry up and finish LA Noire, I want to discuss the end with people.
zeden
I'd be curious to play the multiplayer but as far as single player goes that footage, even if it was early, doesn't inform anything that's going to drive me to want to play alone.
I've enjoyed what I've played of Borderlands but because of the hours I'm awake there's rarely anyone to play with, certainly no one I know personally. I found that really limited the appeal of that game and I'd expect the same from this.

I keep meaning to return to Left 4 Dead 2 to get some practice before the next load of maps arrive. I gather they're releasing all of the original levels from the first game for the second, should be interesting to see how the extra infected types work in those.
Julie
I'm having real trouble with the interrogations in LA Noire.

My friend seems to think this is indicative of Prosopagnosia.

I think he might be a bit right.
zeden
I was finding it a bugger till I started going by the idea that if I see them look down and to the left then doubt is the way forward. Seems to work for the most part.

Speaking of LA Noire - first batch of DLC cases and additional content announced.
I like the sound of this Rockstar pass though it does render my efforts to get the pre-order bonuses a bit pointless given I could have gotten it all for 800ms by the sounds of things.
Particularly liking the sound of the Reefer Madness case, especially as I've seen the movie it's referencing and expect some sly digs about misconceptions regarding weed.
Silky
I got round to getting Battlefield Bad Company 2, hoping to get into the multiplayer with my old clan, only to find not a single server.
Not one. unsure.gif
monkeyman
On PC?

@Zeden: I'm with Seff, I want to explore the environment. It looks much more interesting and much less MMOish compared to Borderlands.
I think I just like bludgeoning things.

As for LA noire I've been much better lately at getting things right which feels good. About to wrap up Vice which has been interesting and then move onto arson
Silky
Yep on PC.
Possibly it's because I don't have Vietnam.
monkeyman
Maybe, though I didn't realise it was that popular. That's really strange; BF2 still has a huge amount of servers running, though far too many of them are Karkand infantry only -,-

I assume you'll be getting BF3 for PC?
Silky
Oh yes smile.gif
Having played both CoD and BF series on PC, I've noticed BF players tend to think more tactically, and on a squad level.
Generally I've also noticed a much higher level of maturity on PC compared to xbox, althought that could easily be down to the fact it's clans rather then the format.
monkeyman
Battlefield is definitely more squad/tactics orientated. You still get a lot of people just going for a good K/D and not actually trying to win, but the majority of players work to win the objective. Plus there are so many points to be earnt doing assist actions that it really encourages you to do things outside of just shooting.

The PC crowd are also in general more mature thn the console crowd for sure; I'd say it's because a PC player tends to be older and has bought his own PC rather than being a teenager who has had all their things bought for them; if that makes sense? There's a hell of a lot of exceptions to that rule but I think it's true.
Plus the thing with playing BF on PC is if people are being stupid dicks or playing music full blast down their mics a server admin can just kick them and/or ban them; and if there's no admin the tools for group kicking an idiot are much more effective.
It makes people be less obnoxious as getting banned from good servers sucks. Of course this good feeling is undone by douchey "power mad" admins who kick you for killing them too many times so you must be cheating...
Silky
Yeah, it's a delicate balance.
I used to have admin powers on the clan severs when we played the first Call of Duty and United Offensive.
I tended to go with a three strikes and out approach. 90% of the time people would behave themselves.
GundamGuy_UK
You know what I want? A new TimeSplitters game, or just release 2 on XBLA...
Fuck GoldenEye, THAT's the best party FPS ever made.
monkeyman
There was one in development so I still have hope...Timesplitters is amazing.
I could also go for a new Worms 3D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.