Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Silky
QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 3 2011, 10:47 AM) *
Which also renders it not so much of a spoiler, cos I can read it. wink.gif

I've noticed that. To be fair, it's not much of a spoiler anyway.
Ade
QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 3 2011, 11:04 AM) *
I've noticed that. To be fair, it's not much of a spoiler anyway.

Ah well. No harm, no foul, then. smile.gif
Silky
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 2 2011, 11:49 PM) *
Edit: I was linked to this pic that might potentially provide a little insight. Either that or it's pure wishful thinking. I for one hope this is true and all four protagonists are key players, the guy playing golf sure does look like Nico to me -

If that's true, that would get me very exicted indeed.
Ade
Umm, sorry to step in and go all retro for a moment, but if you fine folks have any particular PS3 game recommendations, I would be most grateful, as I am keeping my eyes peeled for pre-owned bargains at the moment, since I really can't afford to invest in new games, right now. But since I don't want to be too out of the loop with recent popular trends, I'm ideally looking at games released within the past 12-24 months that you would still consider to be well worth my time, and I'll seek out the best bargains I can!

So, beyond the aforementioned Uncharted, Assassins Creed and Red Dead franchises, I am considering acquiring games such as Fallout 3 and Heavy Rain (and generally games with a decent linear narrative or 'sandbox' structure, rather than one-dimensional first person shoot-em-ups). I've also been something of a racing game junkie, so Driver: San Fran is on my wishlist for a later date.

So, if you could please enlighten me with your collective gaming acumen, it would be greatly appreciated! biggrin.gif Cheers, peeps!
Silky
My pleasure Ade.
Little Big Planet. It's ridiculous amounts of fun, and features Stephen Fry.
Ade
QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 3 2011, 11:24 AM) *
My pleasure Ade.
Little Big Planet. It's ridiculous amounts of fun, and features Stephen Fry.

Heheh, actually, I do have that too already... picked it up for a fiver, no less. The 'Fry Factor' was a delightful surprise bonus, I have to say! But thanks all the same, I've been meaning to give it some more of my time recently. smile.gif
Silky
In that case Batman Arkham Asylum is well worth picking up.
logger
^Ditto.

I would say definitely get Fallout 3 and be prepared to lose a month of your life.
NiteFall
The first two Uncharted games, InFamous and Metal Gear Solid 4 might be worth a look for you. Although MGS4 doesn't really make a great deal of sense unless you've played the previous games. And even then, not a great deal.
Silky
Thinking about it Ade, I have a small selection of PS3 games collecting dust on my shelf if you want to borrow any.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 2 2011, 11:49 PM) *
Edit: I was linked to this pic that might potentially provide a little insight. Either that or it's pure wishful thinking. I for one hope this is true and all four protagonists are key players, the guy playing golf sure does look like Nico to me -

Personally, I think that Rockstar is well aware that fans will be studying every frame of that trailer, and they've deliberately made those models look like other characters purely to fuck with people.
Ade
QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 3 2011, 11:42 AM) *
In that case Batman Arkham Asylum is well worth picking up.
QUOTE (logger @ Nov 3 2011, 11:45 AM) *
^Ditto.

I would say definitely get Fallout 3 and be prepared to lose a month of your life.

Poc! Biff! Pow!

Splendid, twice over. Duly acknowledged and noted. Merci, Messieurs!

QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 3 2011, 11:51 AM) *
The first two Uncharted games, InFamous and Metal Gear Solid 4 might be worth a look for you. Although MGS4 doesn't really make a great deal of sense unless you've played the previous games. And even then, not a great deal.

Ace. MSG* is one of my long-running favourites, having owned the first two on PSOne and PS2 respectively. I missed the third installment for some reason, but had been wondering whether Part 4 was worth an investment... I shall add it to my ever-growing, soon to be ill-named, 'short-list'. I've also just recently completed Uncharted 2, but will look into prices on the first one, and indeed InFamous. Many thanks, Kei.

QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 3 2011, 12:00 PM) *
Thinking about it Ade, I have a small selection of PS3 games collecting dust on my shelf if you want to borrow any.

That's jolly decent of you, old bean. I shall discuss this matter with you further. smile.gif

* eta: I did of course mean MGS, not Monosodium Glutamate. That would make no sense whatsoever.
NiteFall
If you're looking for something fun and brightly-coloured that's good for passing a few minutes at a time with I would also highly recommend Wipeout HD off the Playstation Store. It's only a few quid and is probably the best Wipeout game since 2099.
Ade
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 3 2011, 01:28 PM) *
If you're looking for something fun and brightly-coloured that's good for passing a few minutes at a time with I would also highly recommend Wipeout HD off the Playstation Store. It's only a few quid and is probably the best Wipeout game since 2099.

I will do that very thing. I love the WipeOut series - probably my all time fave. Thanks for the heads up, dude!
monkeyman
I concur with Kei on Wipeout and infamous, then when the price goes down you have to get Infamous 2!
The Ratchet and Clank series is well worth a look but I'd recommend Crack in Time the most, it's fantastic and you can easily find it cheap now;I'd be surprised if you couldn't find Uncharted 1 for a tenner. Do you like RPG's? There's an amazing RPG called Valkyria Chronicles, one of my top 10 games of all time. 

Also: God of War, Dead Space 1&2, GTA4 and Just Cause 2 are all brilliant games I can think of, off the top of my head that are likely quite cheap now. 
Just Cause 2 is one of the most fun open world games out there (Kei and Zeden will agree) and I picked it up for £12 a few months ago, that should be a priority.

Started Uncharted 3 last night and, needles* to say it is bloody amazing. Didn't fire a shot for the first hour but smiled and chuckled a lot. A much better opening sequence to the one in Uncharted 2

The new melee system is Brills as well. Has a slightly similar feel
To Arkham asylum/city but obviously not as clean and smooth. There are some great little animations though. Knocking someone out and grabbing their gun in midair to shoot someone else in the face with is boss.

* wink.gif
Ade
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 3 2011, 01:53 PM) *
I concur with Kei on Wipeout and infamous, then when the price goes down you have to get Infamous 2!
The Ratchet and Clank series is well worth a look but I'd recommend Crack in Time the most, it's fantastic and you can easily find it cheap now;I'd be surprised if you couldn't find Uncharted 1 for a tenner. Do you like RPG's? There's an amazing RPG called Valkyria Chronicles, one of my top 10 games of all time. 

Also: God of War, Dead Space 1&2, GTA4 and Just Cause 2 are all brilliant games I can think of, off the top of my head that are likely quite cheap now. 
Just Cause 2 is one of the most fun open world games out there (Kei and Zeden will agree) and I picked it up for £12 a few months ago, that should be a priority.

Started Uncharted 3 last night and, needles* to say it is bloody amazing. Didn't fire a shot for the first hour but smiled and chuckled a lot. A much better opening sequence to the one in Uncharted 2

The new melee system is Brills as well. Has a slightly similar feel to Arkham asylum/city but obviously not as clean and smooth. There are some great little animations though. Knocking someone out and grabbing their gun in midair to shoot someone else in the face with is boss.

* wink.gif

Cheers Mr Monkey, sir, that's grand. Gives me a few more titles to consider and refine the wishlist with, numbering as they do among titles that several of my other friends have also been playing, which gives me the more global concensus I was looking for. Cheers!

And yes, I do enjoy RPG's, speaking as a former Dungeons & Dragons geek of yesteryear. Final Fantasy VII was my first truly time-sapping distraction on the PSOne, and I was completely hooked, despite late losing interest in the series while playing versions VIII-IX (I think it was more a case of the storylines just not grabbiong me). So I'm really not sure whether to bother with FFXIII... unless anybody considers it a worthy investment?

eta: I shall be champing at the bit until I can pick up Drake's Deception at a manageable price. biggrin.gif
monkeyman
Having not played it myself (only watched Hayleigh play it) it's pretty and unlike the battle system. Couldn't tell you if the stories any good though.

I'm thinking of getting some Mega drive games to play, anyone got recommendations of their favourites? Quack shot is going to be the first one I grab
logger
This is reminding me that there are still quite a few old games I want.

Finished Alan Wake, it's not the best game ever but it's five of the best £s I've ever spent.
GundamGuy_UK
Grand Theft Auto V is out on "02/09/2012"

Is that February 9th, or September 2nd? Apparently they're just putting the finishing touches on to it, so maybe it is February.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Fable 3 may well be the easiest game I have ever played.
logger
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 3 2011, 04:59 PM) *

Is that February 9th, or September 2nd? Apparently they're just putting the finishing touches on to it, so maybe it is February.

Where'd you see that?
monkeyman

Going by Anerican calendars that's February right? Where'd you see it posted? I'd be surprised if its that soon
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Nov 3 2011, 05:07 PM) *
Fable 3 may well be the easiest greatest game I have ever played.

Fixed. wink.gif

You're right though, it is ridiculously easy (all the Fable games are). It's just that it's oddly addictive and silly enough to make up for that.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 3 2011, 06:43 PM) *
Going by Anerican calendars that's February right? Where'd you see it posted? I'd be surprised if its that soon

It was on /v/, so it's gone now. It was a screenshot of an online store, with the PC, PS3, and 360 versions all showing a release date of "02/09/2012"

Oh, Rockstar have also said in the past that IV doesn't exist in the same universe as III/VC/SA, so assuming V is in the same "realistic" universe of IV, then all those supposed returning characters aren't real, with the possible exception of Niko (though his presence makes even less sense than the others, really).
zeden
I read that to which does kind of put to rest that theory, though I could see Nico leaving Liberty after the events at the end of GTAIV given he's been emotionally broken one way or the other at that point. I'd quite like to see him turn up in a henchman role just to highlight that men like him never really escape their lives of crime no matter where they go and that the events of the endgame from IV put him right back at the bottom of the pile.

That would be rather nice for me, seven days after my birthday and all. I was thinking that Rockstar typically tends to tease a game far later in development than others, hence the excitement over the trailer. Guess there'll be a trickle of new information for a month or two then the adverts'll kick in.

QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 3 2011, 02:59 PM) *
So I'm really not sure whether to bother with FFXIII... unless anybody considers it a worthy investment?

Seven hours into FFXIII and I was still in the same corridor as I started in listening to plot that never tried to make itself clear or interesting. Big avoid as far as I'm concerned.
Ade
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 3 2011, 11:36 PM) *
Seven hours into FFXIII and I was still in the same corridor as I started in listening to plot that never tried to make itself clear or interesting. Big avoid as far as I'm concerned.

Good to know, thanks Zed - that has potentially saved me a tenner or so, then! Muchly appreciated.
zeden
No problem sir.

Does everyone want to see something funny? Course we do! Go to Google and type "Do a barrel roll".
Edit - I see now this has already been mentioned in the Chortle thread. Do it again anyway.
Llama

I saw someone else say February somewhere too. [/vague]
NiteFall
QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 4 2011, 12:15 AM) *
Good to know, thanks Zed - that has potentially saved me a tenner or so, then! Muchly appreciated.

See, I'm now playing FF XIII again (after my hard disk corrupted and needed reformatting) and I have to say I'm rather enjoying it. Admittedly it is exceptionally linear for the first, ooh, 20 hours or so. But I really do like it. And yes, the plot makes no sense and the characters are generally unlikable, but that's the case with ALL the Final Fantasy games really. Except IX. I liked Zidane. Just because he's the only Final Fantasy leading charater who isn't all whining and broody and instead is an awesome sky pirate and knows that is awesome. Anyway. I would say hunt about for a cheap second-hand copy and give it a bash. It does take some (a lot) of getting in to, but it really is quite rewarding.
monkeyman
Hah! That's probably one of the reasons I like 9 the most. Zidane is the least douchey out of all main characters. Auron is my favourite FF character though, him not being in Dissidia 1 or 2 is a travesty; he's the reason I'm looking forward to FF10 HD so much.
Llama
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 4 2011, 10:42 AM) *
See, I'm now playing FF XIII again (after my hard disk corrupted and needed reformatting) and I have to say I'm rather enjoying it. Admittedly it is exceptionally linear for the first, ooh, 20 hours or so. But I really do like it. And yes, the plot makes no sense and the characters are generally unlikable, but that's the case with ALL the Final Fantasy games really. Except IX. I liked Zidane. Just because he's the only Final Fantasy leading charater who isn't all whining and broody and instead is an awesome sky pirate and knows that is awesome. Anyway. I would say hunt about for a cheap second-hand copy and give it a bash. It does take some (a lot) of getting in to, but it really is quite rewarding.

I have to say I enjoyed FFXIII as well. I seem to be one of the few. That said, I haven't entirely completed it, it's one of those ones I play for a while and then forget about for months... Probably not a ringing endorsement.
NiteFall
Also, DC Universe Online has gone free to play on both PC and PS3. Admittedly you do only get 2 character slots and limited things to play with (Unless you shell out the massive £4 to go up a level to the not-quite premium but better than free package which gets you 6 character slots and a bunch more stuff, details here) but as something completely free to download, install and have a bash at it's pretty damned good. Apparently it is lacking in end game content which is what made me a bit wary about actually paying for it and a subscription, but at this price it is a bargain. A very, very fun bargain.
Silky
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 4 2011, 05:49 PM) *
Also, DC Universe Online has gone free to play on both PC and PS3. Admittedly you do only get 2 character slots and limited things to play with (Unless you shell out the massive £4 to go up a level to the not-quite premium but better than free package which gets you 6 character slots and a bunch more stuff, details here) but as something completely free to download, install and have a bash at it's pretty damned good. Apparently it is lacking in end game content which is what made me a bit wary about actually paying for it and a subscription, but at this price it is a bargain. A very, very fun bargain.

Might give it a shot. Even if it's shit, it's free.
NiteFall
I only got it yesterday (when it went free) but so far it's an enjoyable little 3rd person free roaming action game. I suspect, much like every other MMO out there, the multiplayer elements become more pronounced the further into it you get. At which point I'll start searching about for a guild to join. Or quit playing. laugh.gif
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 4 2011, 05:49 PM) *

I'll give it a go.

EDIT: 14GB!? I hope I like it.
I'm sure I will, I think DC is much cooler than Marvel. Marvel makes better movies, DC makes better comics. I watch and own all Marvel's movies (I don't understand why people take sides, like you can't enjoy both), but I never really read their comics. DC Comics rock though, some of their New 52 stuff is incredible.
Silky
Interesting article about how personality affects how you play certain games.
GundamGuy_UK
My thoughts on the ending of Arkham City:

No way is Joker dead. He spends most of the story sat right above the Lazarus Pit, but only decides to take a dip in it right at the end? And the cure just happens to kill him right after Batman drops it? No, I think Joker went in that Pit the second he could, and then waited to do it again in front of Batman so he could show off. If he did die at all when the cure was dropped, he'll come back because he's already immortal - stabbing Batman after Clayface was defeated was a way for Joker to fake his own death.
NiteFall
Oh, and in case anyone wanted to know, I am playing Hero side on the EU-PC PvP server for DCUO. Character name is Keios.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 4 2011, 08:29 PM) *
Oh, and in case anyone wanted to know, I am playing Hero side on the EU-PC PvP server for DCUO. Character name is Keios.

I'll most likely be on that side myself. Once I get it all sorted out, I'll add you. My name will most likely be Zouka, or some derivative thereof. I only have 3.6GB at the moment.

I wish it worked like Guild Wars, where you only download the client, and then the first time you enter a new area it downloads the map data for it.
NiteFall
Oh, also- logon queues are ricockulous at the moment. Currently 1379th in line...
GundamGuy_UK
I'm sure that'll calm down once people try it out and then get bored, as with most games when they go free to play.
I remember my friends talking about what a horrible mess Team Fortress 2 became for a while.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 4 2011, 06:46 PM) *
Interesting article about how personality affects how you play certain games.

That is pretty interesting, but I'm not sure about the whole idea of adapting the game content based on personality. I love games that give me the choice to be able to do whatever I want and I'd hate for that to be narrowed down by the decisions I make early on.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Nov 3 2011, 09:26 PM) *
Fixed. wink.gif

You're right though, it is ridiculously easy (all the Fable games are). It's just that it's oddly addictive and silly enough to make up for that.

This one did seem much easier than the second though, just spamming area of effect fire/lightning combo seemed to down most enemies pretty quickly. The NPC interaction is even more retarded and annoying as well(nothing new there obviously)

I do love Reaver, he is so deliciously devious - especially when he is trying to claim credit for your good choices. I hope he'll turn up in the inevitable Fable 4.
sweetbutinsane
Yeah, just holding a button in to perform an expression had me going "Is that it? Couldn't I just have pressed the button once and saved myself five seconds of the most pointless 'challenge' ever?" And the tickle expression is weird.

I still love the game though. Just all the daft things like Jammy and the little notices that come up after you complete a quest make me happy. happy.gif
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Nov 5 2011, 09:53 PM) *
And the tickle expression is weird.

It is quite rapey.
zeden
I'm now a PS3 owner so if those of you with usernames will provide them I'll add you. Or you can add me, MonkeyMagician
monkeyman
I'll throw mine out there again if anyone wants to add me: Goseki1
GundamGuy_UK
I made my character on DC Universe Online, went to play, and the loading screen came up for about fifteen minutes before I Ctrl+Alt+Del'd.

I hate games where they just show a screen, and don't actually say what they're doing. I don't know if it was downloading updates, trying to log in but it's busy, or if the game simply doesn't work on my machine.
zeden
I'm currently downloading it on my shiny new PS3. 45 minutes in and I'm 15% of the way through the download. And I'm on an 8mb fibre-optic connection. What's worse I can't do anything else till it's done now. wacko.gif

In the meantime I'm watching the making of video that came with Dark Souls. I'm bracing for many deaths at the hands of some very imaginative characters. The art book that came with the game is full to the brim with brilliantly realised nightmare creatures, looking forward to being mauled by each in turn.
monkeyman
There's not much story and very little direction but the atmosphere and gameplay is just phenomenal. IMO anyway. You really have to be a quick study of enemy attacks to not die lots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.