Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Jimmay
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Nov 12 2011, 06:07 PM) *
Well. That ended badly. Me, upon seeing a new cave "Ooh, someone's lair e? Ooh, vampire thralls? How tough could a vampire really be? I mean, I have my shiny new Dwarven armour and weap..oh. I'm dead. Very, very dead. Oh dear."

A very similar thing happened has just happened to me. Just crafted myself a full set of Dwarf Armour with matching bow, shield and war axe (which I've upgraded to superior before I ran out of ingots) and was marching about the place in 3rd person just to watch the light glint off it. Took on a few fire mages with no difficulty, until their master turned up and blew me up in pretty much one shot. I think I'll give that fort a miss for now.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 12 2011, 07:23 PM) *
Has anyone found anywhere really cool? I'm actually finding the map quite annoying. It may be pretty, but it's not as functional as Fallout's.

The best thing I've stumbled across so far was a hut with a tree fallen through the roof and a body inside it. I won't tell you anymore, but it;s typical of Bethesda, in that they can tell you a whole story by just leaving some inanimate objects lying behind.

I agree though that the map is really quite annoying. I'm having to rely on the clairvoyance spell to make my way through mountain passes.

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Nov 12 2011, 07:23 PM) *
EDIT: I thought Skyrim's music felt familiar. It's the same guy who did KotOR and Guild Wars (and a load of other things)

Funny, one bit of it reminds me of the Emmerdale theme tune.
NiteFall
Okay. Now I need to find some quicksilver to make Elven weapons as apparently those are better than the Orc and Dwarf ones I can make. >.<
GundamGuy_UK
I haven't done any weapon crafting at all. Does it work by modding existing weapons (I made an axe "fine", whatever that means), or do I need to collect ingredients as it were, and combine them?
NiteFall
You need to collect the materials and craft them at a forge. You can then use either a grinding stone or workbench to improve your weapons and armour respectively.
GundamGuy_UK
Cool, thanks.

Shimmermist Cave is fucking GORGEOUS.
monkeyman
So yeah. Everyone thats thinking of buying Vanquish, just do it.

Starship troopers refence in the 2nd cutscene of the game as well XD
Ade
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Nov 12 2011, 05:59 PM) *
Ade: I thought L.A. Noire was magnificent, would certainly get my approval & recommendation. Fabulous game set in an era I've always loved. It's unlike almost any other game I've played due to the interrogation & evidence-finding mechanics, and it looks sumptuous to boot. Looking forward to a second play through at some point soon.

I seemed to recall it was you who raved about it a while back, and figured there ought to have a few more here who would have seen it by now too. A few of my PS friends at home had recently mentioned about it being 'very good', but I hadn't figured on just how damn good it was. The ten-minute or so gameplay demo video clips I found on YouTube told me all I need to know, really - and simply blew me away. Having already fallen hook, line and barrel for Uncharted 2, Red Dead... the whole 'movie-esque' themed action/adventure genre thing, L.A.Noire definitely looks to be very much 'my bag'. I love the whole Prohibition/Untouchables/LA Confidential era too....so what's not to love? As soon as I see it for a tenner, it will be mine. Oh yes.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 12 2011, 06:30 PM) *
I've played the demo of it. If you search the Playstation store you should be able to find it smile.gif
The soundtrack and the real time slicing up of enemies is awesome, but I thought it seemed a bit simple and like it might get quite repetitive. Probably worth a few quid though!

Ooh, ta, I clearly missed that on my few trawlings around the PS Store - I will seek it out forthwith! The obvious appeal of Samuel L Jackson's involvement, as well as the RZA soundtrack, were what landed it squarely on my 'maybe' list. And while eight quid seemed a reasonable enough price tag, I figured I'd poll some opinions first. Thanks again.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 13 2011, 12:05 AM) *
So yeah. Everyone thats thinking of buying Vanquish, just do it.

I had a very quick blast on it last night. As far as armoured spacesuit shoot-em-ups go, it's pretty good I guess. But then that particular genre isn't usually my cup of tea, really (which is a little confusing as to why I bought it in the first place, other than the price, but still). The boost mechanism and the weapons themselves are pretty damn funky though. It's very early days really, but I shall be indulging in some more sci-fi-shootery again soon.
Everlong
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Nov 12 2011, 09:31 PM) *
Funny, one bit of it reminds me of the Emmerdale theme tune.

Heh, I thought that as well. When you're running about the main world outside a town. Gets a bit of a Superman turn a little bit after too.
Hobbes
QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 13 2011, 01:52 AM) *
I seemed to recall it was you who raved about it a while back, and figured there ought to have a few more here who would have seen it by now too. A few of my PS friends at home had recently mentioned about it being 'very good', but I hadn't figured on just how damn good it was. The ten-minute or so gameplay demo video clips I found on YouTube told me all I need to know, really - and simply blew me away. Having already fallen hook, line and barrel for Uncharted 2, Red Dead... the whole 'movie-esque' themed action/adventure genre thing, L.A.Noire definitely looks to be very much 'my bag'. I love the whole Prohibition/Untouchables/LA Confidential era too....so what's not to love? As soon as I see it for a tenner, it will be mine. Oh yes.

You've pretty much summed up exactly why I like it so much. It will be a very wise investment on your part, sir. Of this I am sure.
Sean of the Dead
Kick in the Head
Bowser!

wink.gif
Silky
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Nov 13 2011, 05:58 PM) *

But there is one they fear. In their tongue, he is DOVASEAN!

EDIT - A lot of the music is reworked versions of the Morrowind sound track, which was one of the best.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Nov 13 2011, 05:58 PM) *

*applauds*
monkeyman
Vanquish is amazing, but it's the kind of game you need to take breaks from quite often. Or I do at least. There's so much going on at such a high pace in places it makes my eyes hurt from concentrating. The first boss was mental (harsh checkpoints too. As in: none).
NiteFall
Through powerlevelling blacksmithing and exploiting fast travel and vendors restocking I am now the proud owner of a full set of Deadric armour and weapons, with a companion in full Ebony. The downside is that I sneak about as well as a moose. A drunk moose. Wearing tap shoes.
Ade
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 13 2011, 08:32 PM) *
Vanquish is amazing, but it's the kind of game you need to take breaks from quite often. Or I do at least. There's so much going on at such a high pace in places it makes my eyes hurt from concentrating.

Aye, it's a tad 'full on', ain't it?

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 13 2011, 08:32 PM) *
The first boss was mental

You mean the the transforming crab-tank/robot thing, I presume? It's certainly a bit much barely minutes into the main gameplay action.
zeden
I'm now the proud owner of an elder scroll after delving deep underground as part of a well hidden quest. I appear to have drawn the attention of a daedric god in the process. Very tempted to do his bidding to learn arcane secrets. mellow.gif
fatseff1234
Anyone found Barthus yet? I did a lol.

Also 30ish hours, Level 18 Dark Elf, Assassin (Dark Brotherhood questline complete) Archer-Mage with a good dose of One-Handed for poops and slashings.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 14 2011, 01:01 AM) *
Aye, it's a tad 'full on', ain't it?

You mean the the transforming crab-tank/robot thing, I presume? It's certainly a bit much barely minutes into the main gameplay action.

Yes! The amount of crap it shoots at you, the bits that you have to blow off of it, the QTE's and giant grilling lasers. It was awesome. Just gotten to a section where I have to fight two at once...

The cover system is great too. It's nice to see a game where the cover isn't all pillars or chest high walls. Shame there's no blind fire though.
Silky
Being in the theives guild is rather fun. Sneaky sneaky sneak.
Also, has anyone met M'aiq the Liar yet?
zeden
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Nov 14 2011, 07:38 AM) *
Anyone found Barthus yet? I did a lol.

The name's ringing a slight bell. Whiterun? Germanic accent? He's a sheathed weapon?

QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 14 2011, 08:59 AM) *
Also, has anyone met M'aiq the Liar yet?

Nope, but I'm glad to hear he's back. I'll be looking forward to hearing his tall tales.
Also, how old is that frickin' cat now? He's been knocking about since the time the Nerevarine saved Morrowind.

I'm currently exploring the mage centric stuff around Winterhold and coming across all kinds of cool stuff. A dragon turned up as I was crossing a bridge into the mage school, scared the crap out of me till I ran for backup from my fellow students. Five angry mages made short work of that flying lizard.
Silky
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 14 2011, 09:17 AM) *
Nope, but I'm glad to hear he's back. I'll be looking forward to hearing his tall tales.
Also, how old is that frickin' cat now? He's been knocking about since the time the Nerevarine saved Morrowind.

He's got to be at least 400-500 years old now. That's not even in cat years.
monkeyman
Is there decapitation/Dismemberment of enemies in Skyrim? I've not read anything confirming it one way or the other
Jimmay
I wish I wasn't at work and was still wandering around Skyrim. Bought myself a house last night and have instantly reduced the amount of crap I'm carrying around by about 100. I've decided to focus my gathering of stuff to weapons, armour, and things that I can make weapons and armour out of. I realised I was hefting around loads of potions and ingredients I'll never use.

Have headed up to High Hrothgar and done a load of quests around there. I just love the depth of absolutely everything you come across. Getting to grips with blocking with my shield now and can take on most things without too much trouble. I'm looking forward to unlocking the ability to block elemental damage with my shield though as that can still kick my ass.

Apart from the one dragon I've fought (main plot line one) the two most challenging enemies I've come across have been an Ice Wraith and an Ice Troll, the former of which kicked my arse and I only survived because an Ice Wolf turned up and started attacking it for me for some reason.

THUME!!

EDIT: Chris - Yes there is, it's a perk in the one-handed tree I think and is decapitation only.
Silky
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Nov 14 2011, 10:22 AM) *
I wish I wasn't at work and was still wandering around Skyrim.

I hear that.
Rua
My obsession with Riddler trophies will end me.
monkeyman
Cheers jimmay. Nice to see they've taken a step in that direction.

Next game on new consoles I'd like to see real time armour damage, flesh damage, dismemberment and Immolation etc. Crushed heads from hammers/maces too.

Maybe I'm just weird though.

Oh and they need a proper parry and counter system as well.
Jimmay
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 14 2011, 11:41 AM) *
Cheers jimmay. Nice to see they've taken a step in that direction.

Next game on new consoles I'd like to see real time armour damage, flesh damage, dismemberment and Immolation etc. Crushed heads from hammers/maces too.

Maybe I'm just weird though.

Oh and they need a proper parry and counter system as well.

The blocking system works really well I think. You can stagger your enemies and now that I'm getting the hang of it I can do some serious damage with it. Get a few dwarven arrows into them, charge up my oakflesh spell then use the shield charge combined with the unrelenting force shout I can take out average strength enemies without them getting a single hit on me.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Nov 14 2011, 10:22 AM) *
Have headed up to High Hrothgar and done a load of quests around there. I just love the depth of absolutely everything you come across. ...the two most challenging enemies I've come across have been an Ice Wraith and an Ice Troll

That bit was so cool, with the Seven Thousand Steps.

The first time I saw an Ice Troll it killed me, but the second I saw (on my way to the town at the foot of the Steps) I killed it really easily with dual-fire. Same with the Ice Wraith, though she appeared to be multiplying herself which made it harder.

The hardest things I've encountered were those witch people things, Har-somethings?
Silky
Hagravens?
I dealt with them fairly well. Got my arse repeatedly kicked by fucking cat though.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 14 2011, 12:25 PM) *
Hagravens?
I dealt with them fairly well. Got my arse repeatedly kicked by fucking cat though.

Hagravens were really tough, but it's all about working out the best tactics. They do jack shit if you get up close to them so I just charged at her and beat her face off. DEAD!
Silky
I accidentally ran into a group of spriggans.
My reaction was pure Monty Python.
zeden
I've run into some Dwemer centurions and by god are they tough. They're slow and not much trouble for me really but having a companion around makes it so much harder. The buggers always seem to charge headlong into battle and get killed accidentally. Many a reload has taken place thanks to a foolish assistant getting in front of my blade and fire.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 14 2011, 12:48 PM) *
I've run into some Dwemer centurions and by god are they tough. They're slow and not much trouble for me really but having a companion around makes it so much harder. The buggers always seem to charge headlong into battle and get killed accidentally. Many a reload has taken place thanks to a foolish assistant getting in front of my blade and fire.

The one I fought was the easiest thing I've done in the entire game.

He couldn't fit through a door in the room, so I just stood on the other side of it and hit him with sparks magic. Then I stood in safety while my magic recharged, and repeated. Took ages, but I didn't lose a single hit point.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Silky @ Nov 14 2011, 12:31 PM) *
I accidentally ran into a group of spriggans.
My reaction was pure Monty Python.

A load of them turn up during one of the side missions. I died the first time but apart from them turning into leaves loads and attacking me I managed to take them out. I think there were 4 of them.
Silky
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Nov 14 2011, 01:54 PM) *
A load of them turn up during one of the side missions. I died the first time but apart from them turning into leaves loads and attacking me I managed to take them out. I think there were 4 of them.

It was more the total surprise that made me run away.
monkeyman
Singularity is rather bloody good so far. The atmosphere in the opening sections is on par with Bioshock. The weapon models are really Nice too. Hopefully the quality doesn't go down when the actiony bits ramp up
GundamGuy_UK
"Do you get to the Cloud District often? Oh, what am I saying? Of course you don't."

FUCK OFF!
Julie
Has anyone been playing Uncharted 3?
Raven
^ Is that the latest "Best of the X-Factor" compliation?
monkeyman
QUOTE (Julie @ Nov 14 2011, 10:19 PM) *

Ive played and gotten the Platinum trophy for it >,>
NiteFall
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 14 2011, 11:31 PM) *
Ive played and gotten the Platinum trophy for it >,>

Does that mean I can borrow it? =P
GundamGuy_UK

I started out collecting everything, and then decided there was no point. I haven't spent a single coin apart from buying furniture sets for my house. Money doesn't seem to have any real value in this game (unlike in Fallout where I had to keep repairing stuff and I couldn't just heal myself for free with magic).

I'm aware that I could be saving up and getting awesome armor and so on, but I prefer the excitement that comes with finding rare and cool stuff in dungeons and wearing that. I have a Dwarfan helmet, gauntlets, shield, and bow, an Ebony Sword, and then just regular strong steel armor and boots. Eventually I'll find more cool things.
It does mean "mini-boss" fights are pretty tough because I only ever have a couple of potions, but therein lies the challenge. Most fights in dungeons can be won by simply running away until they give up, recharging everything, then storming back in and repeating.
Ade
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Nov 14 2011, 08:20 AM) *
Yes! The amount of crap it shoots at you, the bits that you have to blow off of it, the QTE's and giant grilling lasers. It was awesome. Just gotten to a section where I have to fight two at once...

Holy crap! Nothing like being thrown straight into the deep end, eh?

"Out of one frying pan, into another frying pan..." [/Neil]

Now that I've had a couple of days away from it to reflect, I realise that I enjoyed my brief stint on Vanquish far more than I realised at the time. Can't beat a bit of manic futuristic weapon-totin' mayhem.

QUOTE (Julie @ Nov 14 2011, 10:19 PM) *

My mate completed it just yesterday, so he tells me. I'm hoping this means I might be able to borrow it soon. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 14 2011, 11:27 PM) *
^ Is that the latest "Best of the X-Factor" compliation?

Teehees and lollygiggles. Even though it took me several reads before I got it. wacko.gif
zeden
Stealing is as simple as putting a pot on the shop keepers head in Skyrim. Can't say I'll be mucking about cheating like that on this play through but I did get a good laugh at the bizarre logic at work.
Ade
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Nov 13 2011, 05:49 PM) *
You've pretty much summed up exactly why I like it so much. It will be a very wise investment on your part, sir. Of this I am sure.

On a similar note, then, I would presume that you might find the premise of The Saboteur as appealing as I do. I am loving the look and sound of it, having read several reviews on Amazon, and watched some of the E3 gameplay footage on YouTube. I've picked it up several times from the Pre-owned section in GameStation, but hadn't been convinced enough to take a chance on purchasing it. But the premise keeps luring me back:

Set in a total, free-roaming Nazi-occupied Paris, you play an Irish race car mechanic on a personal vendetta of redemption and vengeance, scuppering the Nazi war machine. I particularly like the idea of awakening the city's 'Resistance spirit', zone by zone, as you complete each mission: the buildings in each respective mission zone instantly change from 'Nazi-occupied' black-and-white, to 'inspired' full colour once you meet each objective. Some of the reviews seem overly harsh, but I get the overall impression that (despite the fact it has a few minor, and major, gripes), provided one has the patience to ride out the initial slow pace of the game, it will reap dividends. It certainly promises a great deal.

From everything I've read and seen of it so far, it strikes me that The Saboteur boasts elements of Driver, Red Dead and Assassin's Creed, all rolled into one rather tempting WWII scenario. Aside from being able to hijack any vehicle available in order to outrun your Nazi pursuers, and taking down airships with rocket launchers, you can also climb pretty much every building within the scope of the playable city map - which includes such barmy shenanigans as scaling the Eiffel Tower, and then leaping into the waters below (as highly improbable and insane as that sounds).

Hell, how could I not fall in love with a game like this?
fatseff1234
QUOTE (zeden @ Nov 14 2011, 09:17 AM) *
The name's ringing a slight bell. Whiterun? Germanic accent? He's a sheathed weapon?

I may be wrong with the name I can't boot up my 360 to check seeing as both my PC and 360 run through the same monitor.

He's the talking dog that belongs to a Daedric god.
zeden
Nope, no idea what you're talking about. Well, I do now...
fatseff1234
Just find him or spoilerific?
zeden
Tiny bit spoilerific, but I'm probably as bad with my elder scroll talk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.