Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
monkeyman
Well I paid £11 for 3 months, saved £15 on Resi4 and Code Veronica so broke even and was £4 up right off the bat,saved £2 on Festival of blood, £2 on Rochard so that's £8 up....There's other things I can't recall off the top of my head too.
It's true that you only keep your free games whilst you have a sub, so in that sense you are renting them. But honestly, 6 months down the line will I play stacking and Hydrophobia again? Probably not. And if I did want to play themI'd just resubscribe to deactivate them.
I'd say if you buy a lot of things anyway it's an absolute no brainer, but it's of much less use to more casual users.
I think the main point I was making was that the free ganes aren't just PS1 classics. There's some genuinely great free games and good discounts.

And it's hardly "merely functional". Apart from the lack of party/cross game chat, and perhaps that you have to download and then install things (the 360 installs as it goes right?) the network functionality is no better or worse.

Edit: Ugh, I sound like the Sony Defence League trying to defend Sony no matter what. That's not the case though. They overcharge some stuff, have annoying disparity between regional PSN stores, the downloads can be slow, they nearly always do maintenance at peak play time for EU users, they made a major misstep in not thinking about cross game chat, the potential credit theft and month long outage were ridiculous (though i got 6 free games!),the launch price, functionality and most of the game lineup were awful....it's just they've improved and provide some great services. The online play is perfect minus the party chat etc, and PS+ is a great optional offer. They get for too much undeserved shit sometimes.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Dec 16 2011, 03:31 PM) *
Well I paid £11 for 3 months, saved £15 on Resi4 and Code Veronica so broke even and was £4 up right off the bat,saved £2 on Festival of blood, £2 on Rochard so that's £8 up....There's other things I can't recall off the top of my head too.
It's true that you only keep your free games whilst you have a sub, so in that sense you are renting them. But honestly, 6 months down the line will I play stacking and Hydrophobia again? Probably not. And if I did want to play themI'd just resubscribe to deactivate them.
I'd say if you buy a lot of things anyway it's an absolute no brainer, but it's of much less use to more casual users.
I think the main point I was making was that the free ganes aren't just PS1 classics. There's some genuinely great free games and good discounts.

And it's hardly "merely functional". Apart from the lack of party/cross game chat, and perhaps that you have to download and then install things (the 360 installs as it goes right?) the network functionality is no better or worse.

Edit: Ugh, I sound like the Sony Defence League trying to defend Sony no matter what. That's not the case though. They overcharge some stuff, have annoying disparity between regional PSN stores, the downloads can be slow, they nearly always do maintenance at peak play time for EU users, they made a major misstep in not thinking about cross game chat, the potential credit theft and month long outage were ridiculous (though i got 6 free games!),the launch price, functionality and most of the game lineup were awful....it's just they've improved and provide some great services. The online play is perfect minus the party chat etc, and PS+ is a great optional offer. They get for too much undeserved shit sometimes.

The 360 installs some things on the fly, but updates it installs when you launch the game. Takes a couple of seconds. I meant it's functional in the sense that it does what it says on the tin (lets you play a game online multiplayer) and nothing else. With the 360, you can play a game whilst chatting to completely different people, or listen to your own music, or whatever.

Don't worry about the Sony Defence League image, I don't think any of us here think that. I hope I don't come across as too anti-PlayStation. I love PlayStation, I just don't like the PS3. Sony made too many moves I don't like, and Microsoft happened to go in the direction I wanted consoles to take. I was a diehard PS1 and PS2 fan, I thought the Xbox sucked balls (I still do). The Xbox 360 is a wonderful machine, though. I don't constantly dig at the PS3 because I'm anti-Sony, I do it because I was so incredibly disappointed in them and I still am. I was so excited for the PS3 when it was announced... I know I'm not the only one who was, and then chose 360.

I'll definitely be getting a Vita if the games library is good (thank fuck it's not download only, because as you said the EU Store is terrible - I feel so sorry for PSP-3000 owners), but I won't be getting a PS4 simply because my account with Xbox will transfer all my games, saves, achievements etc to the new console, and I don't want to have to keep my 360 when I upgrade (my sister wants it).
zeden
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Dec 16 2011, 04:21 PM) *
...or listen to your own music...

How the heck did I neglect that feature for so long? It's been an ages since I used that. The next time I'm on Skyrim I'm throwing on some silly cheese like Dragon Force and going on a mad spree across the land.

That might be a while off though, my early game access for The Old Republic has kicked in so all other games fall by the wayside as I jump head first into my first proper MMO. Really looking forward to it after the beta, Knights of the Old Republic with friends is what it amounts to and that's nigh on perfect for me.
Ade
Was kind of tempted to purchase £35 PSN credits at Game today, who are selling them off for £25...

Still... it's £25 I ain't really got spare. mad.gif
GundamGuy_UK
Just in case anyone from SEGA reads this...

When is Jet Set Radio coming to XBLA!? Goddamn

EDIT: PlayStation Vita launch day lineup:
* Army Corps of Hell
* Escape Plan
* Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
* F1 2011
* FIFA Soccer/FIFA Football
* Gravity Rush
* Hustle Kings
* Little Deviants
* Michael Jackson: The Experience
* ModNation Racers: Road Trip
* MotorStorm RC
* Plants vs Zombies
* Reality Fighters
* Ridge Racer
* Shinobido 2: Tales of the Ninja
* Super Stardust Delta
* Top Darts
* Touch My Katamari
* Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
* Uncharted: Golden Abyss
* Unit 13
* WipEout 2048

And early launch window games include:

* Lumines
* Nina Gaiden Sigma
* Stardrone
* Rayman Origins
* Dynasty Warriors

So... nothing. Wipeout is cool, but I already have it (twice) on PSP, and they don't ever vary that much. I'd pick it up on budget release, but it's not a great launch title. That said, it's nice that it's there because PlayStation and Wipeout at launch have a long history.

Not that I was planning on getting one in Year 1 anyway, but this really seals it. I'll get it in 2014 or so, once there's a decent list of games out.

EDIT 2: Also, Plants Vs Zombies? Really?
monkeyman
Escape Plan and Gravity Rush look awesome, you should check them out.
I'll be getting Uncharted and Mod nation Racers for sure and probably Wipeout at some point. It's not a bad launch lineup compared to most new consoles.

You're going to wait 2 years to get one?

Edit: got to agree on PvZ, so old and it's already been on everything XD
zeden
I'm waiting on Jet Set Radio too alongside the long teased Shen Mue. It'll be nice to go back to the original after finishing the bastard hard sequel seeing as I never got to give it a proper go back when it came out. I just hope they manage to licence the soundtrack for it or at least replace it with a contemporary equivalent if they can't.

I've clocked up about 10 hours on The Old Republic now and am thoroughly enjoying it though it seems my laptop isn't really up to the job which is a bugger. I can get by on low setting most of the time but in areas with smoke effects or huge numbers of people and enemies the frame rate drops to single figures and it's nigh on unplayable. Terrible as it is, I might actually scrounge the money together to make a cheap desktop just to play it properly.
My only gripe with the game play is that light and dark side alignment plays a heavy part in equipment choices and as yet I've seen nothing in terms of neutral stuff so my play style of choice isn't really catered to it seems. Hopefully I'm just too low a level for that kind of thing to present itself in the shops and later when I've gotten my starship I'll be able to get kitted out.
monkeyman
Talking of soundtrack licences etc.... The Tony Hawk HD edition (a mash up of stages from 1&2) was announced recently, which I'm really interested in. But! They've said they'll likely not get the licensed tracks sad.gif
I guess you could just find all the tracks and use a custom playlist but it's not the same!
Loved the music in the first two games, I have such great memories of playing them.

Edit: That also sucks a bit about the non neutral equipment :/
zeden
I have to admit, being such a big fan of those games and seeing the franchise fall apart over time, it really sent a shiver down my spine seeing that very first level again but with modern graphics. I'll definitely be all over that, though it wouldn't be the same without having the video screens and Superman by Goldfinger or No Cigar by Millencolin blasting away. I'm most excited about the stages from THPS2 though seeing as that's the one I owned and played to death though I dread to think of how hard the score challenges are going to be considering players know the levels so well and have had years to practice lines. If it's being made to cater to the oldest of the old school fans then it's going to need to provide a challenge to match all these years of experience.

Oh, before I forget about the Vita - I want that Katamari game! Not spending on a Vita just for that but I want it dammit! those games are so damned addicting, I must get the PS3 version now I think about it.

Steam is being a bugger again and tempting me with offers and sales but at least they're offering up some freebies and the chance to win stuff on a daily basis. I've got a Steam voucher for 33% off any Valve title that I'm not intending to use so if anyone wants it they're more than welcome. It seems like it works on the sale items too so if anyone hasn't got Portal 2 and wants it you could pick it up for about £4 with this. My username is MonkeyMagicEden, just let me know if you want the voucher.
monkeyman
The Katamari games really shouldn't be as fun as they are...I'll no doubt pick that up down the line.

I'm actually really looking forward to the Vita and earning trophies tied to my PSN account on the go (or whilst pooping). It's weird, I'm not too sure what it is I like about trophies...I think i just like having a visibłe history of the games I've played and to what degree I've played them. Of course on top of that trophies are a good excuse to try things you wouldn't normally try and also to replay games so I like them for that. It took me quite a while to get interested in achievements/trophies, but I'm glad we have them now.
They're like a fun meta-gane within the game. For instance; in RDR: Undead Nightmare, I probably wouldn't be bothering with the undead hunter/sharpshooter challenges if there wasn't a trophy for it.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Dec 20 2011, 12:10 AM) *
Escape Plan and Gravity Rush look awesome, you should check them out.
You're going to wait 2 years to get one?

That's about how long I usually wait for consoles.

QUOTE (zeden @ Dec 20 2011, 12:15 AM) *
the long teased Shen Mue.

The real tease is that they keep implying they're still thinking about a third one.
Silky
I suddenly and somewhat inexplicably want to play Myth 2: Soul blighter.
NiteFall
If anyone out there wants them, I would appear to have spare copies of Half Life 2 and Half Life 2 Episode 1 that I can gift over Steam. If anyone doesn't have them yet and is interested let me know and I'll fling them your way.
zeden
Wow, got lucky on the give away I take it?
Steam is going to take some more of my money, £4 for Psychonauts and Costume Quest is too good to pass up. I'm liking the in game challenges they're doing that can potentially win prizes, they really know how to reward customers. Makes me wish the consoles had that kind of thing on offer.
NiteFall
QUOTE (zeden @ Dec 20 2011, 11:50 PM) *

No, apparently I've had them since 2007, so I'm not sure when or how I got them if I'm honest.
monkeyman
QUOTE (zeden @ Dec 20 2011, 11:50 PM) *
Steam is going to take some more of my money, £4 for Psychonauts and Costume Quest is too good to pass up. I'm liking the in game challenges they're doing that can potentially win prizes, they really know how to reward customers. Makes me wish the consoles had that kind of thing on offer.

Yes please. It's a good incentive to stop people trading games in too.

I really should get Psychonauts on my PSP. I know I've played it, I just don't really remember it.
Costume quest is great too

Edit: Just remembered it was PS2 (and PC) not PS1. Guess I'll try it on my netbook
zeden
Yes please to the same stuff on consoles or to the voucher? I'll send it over if you want it. I checked though and it's not active until January 2nd so it might not be so much use after all.
monkeyman
Oh sorry, just meant the prizes etc. I don't use my PC enough to justify taking the voucher smile.gif
GundamGuy_UK
Prizes would be a cool idea.

I really like Halo Waypoint for the way it combines all the games together and makes them feel connected and part of something. You can unlock items for one game by getting certain achievements in others. I think that's a model that could be used with many franchises and in many different ways, and I hope it's a sign of things to come in general. It also has a little encyclopedia and stuff like that.

If you extend the idea of DLC, Halo Waypoint, minigames in larger titles, and even things like Psycho Mantis reading your memory card and combine them into possible ideas, there are some really interesting possibilities. Imagine if playing one game allowed you to progress further in another, like (crap example I know) playing a snowboarding game and mastering a course would give you an ice spell in an RPG as a reward.

The down side of course is that you'd have to buy more games in order to unlock everything, but publishers wouldn't see that as a bad thing and it's surely worth their extra effort to implement... so long as none of the unlockable stuff.
monkeyman
Heh. Your idea reminds me of a post from the fake Peter Molyneux twitter account:

my dream for gaming is where in one game you'll shoot someone and then during a game of say Fifa you'll see their son crying
laugh.gif

I think your idea can work in some games, and I've seen it used already (just not often). For instance if you had Resistance 2 on the PS3 you could "infect" the PSP Resistance: Retribution game; it gave the character glowing eyes, regenerating health, the ability to breath underwater and some weapons you couldn't normally get. It was a pretty cool idea.

As long as story elements and achievements/trophies aren't locked without buying other games I think it could work in some games.
Though it does remind me a little bit of the new Spyro game.... :/
sweetbutinsane
I accidentally made a snowman on Animal Crossing and it spoke to me after I made it. I'm scared. It keeps saying something about flowers.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Dec 21 2011, 08:51 PM) *
I accidentally made a snowman on Animal Crossing and it spoke to me after I made it. I'm scared. It keeps saying something about flowers.

If you make a perfect snowman, he'll send you some snow furniture as a reward. That's the only way to get that set.
sweetbutinsane
Do I need to fix the one I've done or start over?
GundamGuy_UK
You can't alter it once it's made.
It's pretty hard to make a perfect snowman, because it has to be just right, and it might not look how you'd imagine it would. Remember; everyone in that game has a massive head. So a perfect snowman's head isn't much smaller than its body.

You will know if you get it right, because he'll talk about how perfect he is. There's snow until February, and every day there are two snowballs. There are ten items to get, so you've plenty of opportunity.

Also, if you see a snowball moving on its own, there's a dung beetle moving it.
sweetbutinsane
Damn, I was miles off. laugh.gif
Silky
You two always make me want a ds and that game.
GundamGuy_UK
That's because it's amazing.
Llama
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Dec 21 2011, 02:21 PM) *
the fake Peter Molyneux twitter account

God, I love that account.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Picked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. off Steam for £2.49. Now I just need to find time to play it.

Also, need some Steam friends. You know what to do people.
Silky
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Dec 22 2011, 10:40 PM) *
Picked up S.T.A.L.K.E.R. off Steam for £2.49. Now I just need to find time to play it.

Also, need some Steam friends. You know what to do people.

blunder_boy
Jimmay
QUOTE (Llama @ Dec 22 2011, 09:23 PM) *
God, I love that account.

What's the account?
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Stealth Bastard looks like fun. I may have to download, especially as it's free. I like free.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Dec 23 2011, 09:44 AM) *
What's the account?

@petermolydeux
monkeyman
Did anyone play the Penny Arcade adventures? They've got part 1&2 bundled for £3.19 on PSN at the moment. Worth a shot?

Also got Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix for "free" with PS+ too biggrin.gif
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Silky @ Dec 21 2011, 10:19 PM) *
You two always make me want a ds and that game.
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Dec 22 2011, 06:37 PM) *
That's because it's amazing.

Truth.

I thought I'd done well with my snowman today, but it still wasn't quite there.
GundamGuy_UK
Yeah, it's really specific in what it wants. Luckily, once you get it right you'll probably get it right most days after that (until next year, when you have to learn it all over again).
sweetbutinsane
Bloody snowmen! laugh.gif
NiteFall
Remember- tomorrow is Christmas Day. You all know what that means. That's right; go visit Calendar Man in his cell under Arkham City Courthouse! laugh.gif
Silky
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Dec 24 2011, 09:34 PM) *
Remember- tomorrow is Christmas Day. You all know what that means. That's right; go visit Calendar Man in his cell under Arkham City Courthouse! laugh.gif

ha. I was just thinking that.
GundamGuy_UK
Seasons Greetings to all!

My parents bought me Sonic Generations, and my sister gave me 2100 MS Points. As much as I want to park myself in front of my Xbox all afternoon, I'll have to resist playing it much until the 27th when my family goes home.
zeden
I think I might try to get hold of the soundtrack to Generations. I'm interested to play it properly when it's cheaper but right now that remixed Greenhill zone music they used for the modern Sonic version of the stage is too good to wait for.

I'm sat looking at how much it'll cost to build a new gaming PC and I've come to a reasonable price with these parts-
CPU: 2066 - Intel Core i5 2500K
CPU Cooler: 3015 - NEW! Xigmatek HDT-S963
Operating System:11014 - Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: 4121 - Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
Memory: 5041 - 8.0GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x 4GB)
Hard Drives: 6006 - 1TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 7003 - 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: 8070 - NEW! NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
Sound card: 10001 - Onboard 7.1 Audio
Internet: 13006 - Wireless 802.11N 300Mbps MIMO PCI card
Case: 17035 - Zalman Z9 Plus
PSU: 18034 - 700W Xigmatek
Warranty: 1003 - 3 Year Platinum Warranty

It's £790 with a full 2 year warranty thrown in for nothing. Should last me about 2-3 years with any luck and it'll do all the stuff my laptop just can't cope with like video editing and running games that are heavy on the fancy effects. Like The Old Republic which might be running badly on my laptop but is in no way shape or form influencing this potential purchase, no way no how...
NiteFall
I would say if you can afford it, add an SSD drive to act as your boot drive. Doesn't have to be massive, a 64gb one should be plenty large enough, but if you install your OS to that you'll see a marked improvement in overall system performance.
Llama
Looks like a nice spec! Do SSDs for boot really make that much difference? I have considered it, but I'm concerned that it's quite a lot of money (that said, I've seen some very decent deals on them recently, down to just short of £1 per gig!).
NiteFall
Someone I know just upgraded to an SSD for his C drive and he timed it as from power on to desktop in a shade under 12 seconds. Plus it makes all of the actual system operations a lot faster, which improves the speed of programs installed onto other drives as well.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (zeden @ Dec 26 2011, 10:13 AM) *
I think I might try to get hold of the soundtrack to Generations. I'm interested to play it properly when it's cheaper but right now that remixed Greenhill zone music they used for the modern Sonic version of the stage is too good to wait for.

It's easily the best Sonic game in the past ten years, and I think they know that too. All the levels are based on games up to Sonic Adventure 2, with one level from Colors (which is also a great game, apparently). With their last two titles actually being good, I'm starting to have hope for Sonic's future again.

Generations is a fantastic game, and if anyone likes Sonic even a little, they should get it.
monkeyman
It's only £20 in Game.

I got a damn good set of games for Christmas: Skyrim, Lord of the Rings: War in the north (with awesome troll statue), Battlefield 3 and Assassins Creed: Revelations

Won't need to buy any games for a good few months biggrin.gif
NiteFall
Coincidentally Sonic Generations is one of the daily deals on Steam, only £6.79.
Everlong
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Dec 26 2011, 06:17 PM) *
It's only £20 in Game.

Blimey. Might grab that tomorrow (I take it that's the Xbox 360 price too?)
monkeyman
I'd assume so smile.gif

I really want Rayman:Origins too, but I think I might get it on my Vita eventually. Has anyone else played/bought it?
sweetbutinsane
I made a perfect snowman yesterday and got a snowman fridge. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.