Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Rua
QUOTE (Llama @ Feb 2 2012, 04:04 PM) *
I expect reports. I'm not buying it right now because I still live in Skyrim, but most probably will get it at some point.

It has been despatched. Once played I will fill you in, probably after I've sworn a lot.
Llama
QUOTE (Rua @ Feb 2 2012, 07:18 PM) *
It has been despatched. Once played I will fill you in, probably after I've sworn a lot.

How did you feel about the last one? Were you in the absolutely hating camp? I know I was massively in the minority in thinking it was alright (though with a fair amount of gripes).
GundamGuy_UK
What is the best JRPG on home consoles now (and by 'home consoles', I actually just mean Xbox 360)?

All I ever hear about are ones that are bad.
Silky
Nostalgia for the win
Rua
QUOTE (Llama @ Feb 2 2012, 07:45 PM) *
How did you feel about the last one? Were you in the absolutely hating camp? I know I was massively in the minority in thinking it was alright (though with a fair amount of gripes).

I'm with you. The linear nature/lack of exploration and the rest did bother me, but it wasn't my worst FF experience. In fact I loved the battle system.
Llama
QUOTE (Rua @ Feb 2 2012, 10:56 PM) *
I'm with you. The linear nature/lack of exploration and the rest did bother me, but it wasn't my worst FF experience. In fact I loved the battle system.

Agreement five.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 2 2012, 06:27 PM) *
Curses! Amazon still hasn't dispatched MGS. I guess I'll be waiting until Monday or Tuesday.

It is taking all the self-restraint I have to not rush off and buy this after work.

Must resist! Too poor!
Ade
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jan 25 2012, 03:42 PM) *
I hope the games are fun. Be interesting to see how they handle big battles.
On a related note, having read a fair few comments sections on this image: It really really irritates me when people refer to LEGO as "Legos". Like, it makes me stupidly angry. It shouldn't, I have no idea why it does. Maybe because it sounds so dumb.
I know it should always be written "LEGO", but it doesn't bother me to see it as "Lego". It's just that extra "s".......ugh. Yes I know I'm sad.

I'd second that.

Incidentally, 'Legos' is actually a tiny island just off the West coast of mainland Greece.

Not really.

logger
QUOTE (Ade @ Feb 3 2012, 11:45 PM) *
Incidentally, 'Legos' is actually a tiny island just off the West coast of mainland Greece.

That's where they invented lesbian hair
GundamGuy_UK
Metal Gear Solid came!

Honestly, I don't remember the last time I was this excited to play something. Probably when Ace Combat 6 came out.
Rua
QUOTE (Llama @ Feb 2 2012, 04:04 PM) *
I expect reports.

Righto. So far I'm torn, but I'm enjoying it. It's kind of a mix of X, X-2, XII, & XIII. It's no-where near as pretty as XIII & kinda' gives you the impression it as rushed, but running around will remind you more of XII then XIII. Battle system is virtually the same with a few small changes, the inclusion of capturing wee beasties instead of having a third controllable character I'm still not sold on.

Overall it feels like they just opened it up more & threw some Chocobos in, but the time travelling is fun. Overall I'd say a FF fan would like it & I am admittedly playing the shit out of it so far.

GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Rua @ Feb 6 2012, 02:42 PM) *
It's kind of a mix of X, X-2, XII, & XIII.

I don't know if it's possible for one sentence to turn me off a game more than this one.
Rua
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 6 2012, 05:05 PM) *
I don't know if it's possible for one sentence to turn me off a game more than this one.

It's the direction they seem hellbent on going, although I'd love to see something even closely resembling FFX at this stage. I enjoyed it the first time & by comparison, well, there really is no comparison.

The thing is XIII-2 is still a relatively enjoyable game, but the name is now a weight too heavy & they have run out of ideas to boot. FFXIII-2 It's almost like playing a Clip Show of the last lot of titles in one game.
GundamGuy_UK
I'd forgotten what an utter twat of a boss Vamp is in Metal Gear Solid 2.

I got him down to one shot needed to kill him, and he did the same to me. Then he freezes me so I can't move or even open my inventory to heal, and he kills me. Again.
Llama
QUOTE (Rua @ Feb 6 2012, 02:42 PM) *
Righto. So far I'm torn, but I'm enjoying it. It's kind of a mix of X, X-2, XII, & XIII. It's no-where near as pretty as XIII & kinda' gives you the impression it as rushed, but running around will remind you more of XII then XIII. Battle system is virtually the same with a few small changes, the inclusion of capturing wee beasties instead of having a third controllable character I'm still not sold on.

Overall it feels like they just opened it up more & threw some Chocobos in, but the time travelling is fun. Overall I'd say a FF fan would like it & I am admittedly playing the shit out of it so far.

It sounds basically as I expected. And the Chocobos were very pretty last time round so I'm going to have to buy at some point.
GundamGuy_UK
I'd forgotten how sad it is in Metal Gear Solid 2 when E.E. dies. The thing itself is typically melodramatic yes, but the horrible wailing sobs of Otacon's crying is really well done.
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 7 2012, 03:25 PM) *
I'd forgotten how sad it is in Metal Gear Solid 2 when E.E. dies. The thing itself is typically melodramatic yes, but the horrible wailing sobs of Otacon's crying is really well done.

I knew exactly what was behind your spoilers and couldn't agree more. I really wasn't expecting it to happen either which made it even sadder.
I think I'm going to get the HD collection on my Vita. I've dunno if it's something I'd be too bothered about playing on the console. Though I'll wait and see if there's a bundle announced for the Vita version that includes both.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 7 2012, 05:14 PM) *
I knew exactly what was behind your spoilers and couldn't agree more. I really wasn't expecting it to happen either which made it even sadder.
I think I'm going to get the HD collection on my Vita. I've dunno if it's something I'd be too bothered about playing on the console. Though I'll wait and see if there's a bundle announced for the Vita version that includes both.

I remember my friend saying the saddest thing about it was spending ages doing the sniping section on European Extreme, and then that...

I didn't know it was coming to Vita, that's cool. I'm assuming Vita will be compatible with the PS1 Classics downloads too, so the whole trilogy will be available for it.

"Hal. Hal. I miss you." Manly tears were shed.
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 7 2012, 08:32 PM) *
I remember my friend saying the saddest thing about it was spending ages doing the sniping section on European Extreme, and then that...

I didn't know it was coming to Vita, that's cool. I'm assuming Vita will be compatible with the PS1 Classics downloads too, so the whole trilogy will be available for it.

"Hal. Hal. I miss you." Manly tears were shed.

People give MGS2 so much shit but it is very good. I mean, it's pretty bonkers, but excellent.

Yeah PS1 and PSP games will work on it (I think PS1 compatibility still needs to be patched in) so you'll get the whole collection there.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 7 2012, 09:34 PM) *
I mean, it's pretty bonkers, but excellent.

The whole Arsenal Gear part is just incredible. I love how the codec gets more and more erratic, and the map turns into a video of a Japanese woman, and the "Fission Mailed" thing and so on. Kojima's always loved to break the fourth wall, but that whole section is just superb.

"Turn the game console off right now. You have better things to do with your time" etc.
monkeyman
I know people who actually did turn it off -,-

Edit: Are the 360 face buttons pressure sensitive btw?
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 7 2012, 11:07 PM) *
I know people who actually did turn it off -,-

Edit: Are the 360 face buttons pressure sensitive btw?

No, sadly. To lower your weapon, you have to click the left stick rather than slowly release the fire button.

I always thought it was an odd choice to not make them sensitive, but I guess their feelings were that so few games ever really use it that it doesn't matter. I did like how the map zoomed and the target locked by pressure in the PS2 Ace Combat games.

It's hardly a deal-breaker in this game, though. It's no less effort to click the stick, and you can't accidentally mis-fire.
monkeyman
The pressure buttons were kind of cool but also kind of a pain in MGS3. I guess you haven't played it yet but I'll be interested to know what button is to grab someone and hold them/slit their throat in MGS3. My first playthrough I accidentally slit so many throats.....
The only reason I bring it up is that Kojima mentioned in the Vita version you'd swipe the rear touchpad to slit throats, which is something I'd not even thought about (but a cool little alternative for the system). I completely forgot that the buttons were pressure sensitive.
Rua
QUOTE (Llama @ Feb 6 2012, 09:13 PM) *
It sounds basically as I expected. And the Chocobos were very pretty last time round so I'm going to have to buy at some point.

It's getting pretty enjoyable actually. If you don't expect to be blown away I reckon you'll have a good time playing it. Caius is a great villain so far. Best for some time I think.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 8 2012, 08:27 AM) *
The pressure buttons were kind of cool but also kind of a pain in MGS3. I guess you haven't played it yet but I'll be interested to know what button is to grab someone and hold them/slit their throat in MGS3. My first playthrough I accidentally slit so many throats.....
The only reason I bring it up is that Kojima mentioned in the Vita version you'd swipe the rear touchpad to slit throats, which is something I'd not even thought about (but a cool little alternative for the system). I completely forgot that the buttons were pressure sensitive.

I would guess that it too is done with the L3.

Kojima has always been keen on using new technology in interesting ways, again I think that's due to his love of breaking the fourth wall and encouraging player absorption. I'm starting to wonder if ZOE3 will be a Kinect/Move game, issuing commands to ADA by voice and using your motions to control Jehuty (as it's controlled partially by movement mimicking in the game).
Downsy
Grr, trying to beat Mr Freeze in Batman Arkham City got me so wound up that it took an hour for me to calm down after. I had to turn it off as I knew I had to go to sleep soon.
Silky
^ I really enjoyed that fight. Just don't use the same move twice.
Llama
QUOTE (Rua @ Feb 8 2012, 12:22 PM) *
It's getting pretty enjoyable actually. If you don't expect to be blown away I reckon you'll have a good time playing it. Caius is a great villain so far. Best for some time I think.

Sounds a lot like the last game, where everyone I knew who said they hated it gave up after about an hour because it was too boring and "too easy", when they never even got far enough to do any of the battles where you actually had to think and pay attention or else your ass got sassed.
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 8 2012, 12:34 PM) *
I would guess that it too is done with the L3.

Kojima has always been keen on using new technology in interesting ways, again I think that's due to his love of breaking the fourth wall and encouraging player absorption. I'm starting to wonder if ZOE3 will be a Kinect/Move game, issuing commands to ADA by voice and using your motions to control Jehuty (as it's controlled partially by movement mimicking in the game).

I'll be really interested to see what new features if any he adds for the Vita version; I know there's some new things in the 3DS one.
I really liked his game Boktai. The cartridge had a sensor on it to detect sunlight which would make the gane easier/harder. It was awesome.
GundamGuy_UK
I remember that game. Never played it though.

Grrr, the RAYs are kicking my ass. I have no rations, and they only spawn occasionally and in the worst place possible.
Rua
QUOTE (Llama @ Feb 8 2012, 02:09 PM) *
Sounds a lot like the last game, where everyone I knew who said they hated it gave up after about an hour because it was too boring and "too easy", when they never even got far enough to do any of the battles where you actually had to think and pay attention or else your ass got sassed.

I got my ass handed to me by a normal run of the mill random encounter because I got too casual yesterday. Once you start playing you will curse the name of "wounding". You'll curse it bad.
GundamGuy_UK
Did anyone ever own Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions?

I got pretty damn far in that game. I can remember being able to take some close-up photos of Mei Ling.

VR is one of the main reasons I like Substance. That and the Snake Tales.
monkeyman
Snake Tales?
GundamGuy_UK
It's a story mode where you play as Snake on Big Shell, with a different plot and no radar. There are no cutscenes, just text boxes (like the 'Previous Missions' text in MGS1, if you remember).

For example, it begins with Snake arriving on Big Shell to rescue the President. He has to make he way to Strut F to meet Ames, who will only come out of hiding if you're alone and unseen. Then you have to go to the Core where the hostages are, and find a woman who's emailing updates by listening for the tapping of keys on the phone. Then you have to go to the Computer Room to find a bomb so the hostages can escape unharmed, and Fat Man is the mastermind behind the whole thing, not Dead Cell.

There are five Tales, and that's just the first one. Some of them are pretty outlandish.

EDIT: Oooh, this takes me back. I wonder if I still have it? I have MGS in that awesome Collector's Case with the t-shirt and soundtrack and stuff. I'm never getting rid of that.

EDIT 2: Awesome, it's in there.
I was the only person I ever knew who owned Special Missions, so it always felt like something just for me. I found it in a cool little dingy game shop, and it was the only copy I have ever seen in the flesh.
monkeyman
Special missions I remember, but I never played Substance/Subsistence sad.gif
Guess I will soon enough!
GundamGuy_UK
I never played Subsistence, but I was late enough to the PS2 that Substance was out and I went straight to that.

I'm looking forward to finally playing the MSX games, as they're included on Subsistence.
NiteFall
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Feb 8 2012, 08:18 PM) *
Special missions I remember, but I never played Substance/Subsistence sad.gif
Guess I will soon enough!

I'm sure you borrowed my copy of Subsistence at some point didn't you? laugh.gif
monkeyman
I did, but I never got around to playing it. Had too many new games to play XD
Silky
If Sleeping Dog is half as good as the live action trailer looks I will no doubt be getting it.
I'll wait for some game play footage before I get too excited though.
GundamGuy_UK
Dead Island has made me really skeptical of all trailers now.

I was so looking forward to a zombie first-person RPG, but I've never heard anything better than "it's very buggy and extremely average".
Silky
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 9 2012, 10:07 PM) *
Dead Island has made me really skeptical of all trailers now.

I was so looking forward to a zombie first-person RPG, but I've never heard anything better than "it's very buggy and extremely average".

Yeah, I've certainly learnt my lesson.
GundamGuy_UK
Just finished Metal Gear Solid 2.

What a masterpiece. I think it's the best one in a lot of ways, I think Kojima thinks so too. Apparently he was a bit disheartened by its reception, and after 3 was so praised for online and so on, he decided people only really play these games to be Snake wannabes, which is why the story for 4 is so stupid and doesn't really fit with 2. He just lost interest in telling the story he wanted to tell.

I've not played 4 due to its exclusivity, but I've read the entire plot and it doesn't really make sense in the grand narrative, and the what the Patriots are makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong, 3 is as good as 2. But the way MGS has turned into "collect these soldiers and play online" is apparently Kojima's idea of a joke because people didn't like the games for the reasons he'd hoped.
monkeyman
What didn't you like about 4? The main thing that struck me is that he clearly wanted to kill a lot of characters off but his team convinced him otherwise. The Patriots made sense I thought; it was just a bit convenient that everything was explained by "it was nano machines".
It's been a while since I've played any of the games and I've not read a good analysis of it so I may be missing lots of stupid things.
GundamGuy_UK
I haven't actually played 4 mind you, so it might come across better in-game. I just thought that having them be AI cores instead of people was a bit stupid, because it goes against the idea that America has been controlled from behind the scenes for so long that it literally could not function without the Patriots now.
Silky
I finally got round to playing minecraft and I'm wondering what the hell took me so long.
Ade
I've finally downloaded Wipeout Fury HD... goodbye, free-time. biggrin.gif
Miss Shazam
Anybody feel like recommending a couple of Playstation 2 games I can waste a few evenings on? I'd play just about anything. Harrison's taken his Xbox to our dad's place for the rest of the week, so I'm left with my own pathetic collection* to entertain me.

*Grand Theft Auto III. That's not really it but it may as well be.
GundamGuy_UK
Ace Combat 5, a game so good I still contemplate buying a PS2 again specifically to play it.
fatseff1234
Ok so I know a lot of people may slate me but I got The Darkness 2, and played it in one sitting.

Loved it, fans of the first or the comic series should check it out.

It's my current GOTY.

Also currently chugging through Final Fantasy X, recently played MGS2 (original) and loved it, and have Silent Hill 2-4 to play.

Seth out!
Miss Shazam
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Feb 12 2012, 03:45 PM) *
Ace Combat 5, a game so good I still contemplate buying a PS2 again specifically to play it.

Apparently a friend has a copy that I can borrow. Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.