Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welcome to the Next Level
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191
Omniscia
A winner is you!
bigfatrich
Has anyone bought the "Penny Arcade" - can't remember the full name of it, sorry- game from Xbox Arcade? I played the demo and it caught my imgaination; even if it was trying a little too hard to be wacky and funny at some points.

It seems like an adventure/puzzle type of thing with a turn-based combat system.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 15 2008, 10:01 PM)
...you have to apparantly get 0 Alerts and 0 kills.....

Come on, you have to play every game through like that at least once. I always try and be stealthy anyway, so the 0 kills is only hard because of the boss fights.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (the other thread)
the original Unreal Tournament

Still playing it. Think the level's "Hall Of The Gods" with the jumping turned on. Wacky fun.
Omniscia
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Jun 16 2008, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (the other thread)
the original Unreal Tournament

Still playing it. Think the level's "Hall Of The Gods" with the jumping turned on. Wacky fun.

I like the space platform level, with low-gravity and slow-motion turned on, the insta-gib shock rifles, and the Blue Danube Waltz on the stereo.
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jun 16 2008, 01:06 PM)
Come on, you have to play every game through like that at least once. I always try and be stealthy anyway, so the 0 kills is only hard because of the boss fights.

Indeed, but I like killing too much so I know theres no nasty surprises coming, like guards backtracking and finding me!
frostitute
QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Jun 16 2008, 02:14 AM)
Has anyone bought the "Penny Arcade" - can't remember the full name of it, sorry- game from Xbox Arcade?† I played the demo and it caught my imgaination; even if it was trying a little too hard to be wacky and funny at some points.

It seems like an adventure/puzzle type of thing with a turn-based combat system.

Yeah, it's garbage. But unfortunately, according to Penny-Arcade, it's not for me.
Sean of the Dead
A good 3D Sonic?

Admittedly, it's not 3D like the other ones being primarily 2D in gameplay format, but to me that seems like a step in the right direction. Recent Sonic offerings, barring the rather great Rush series on the Nintendo DS, have all been a bit awful, making it seem as if Sonic Team's key word for the development was either "clunky" or "bad".

One thing that seems a concern is that perhaps in the quest for speed, gameplay has been sacrificed making it simply a case of pressing your analogue stick to the right and waiting for the "ACT COMPLETE" for the majority of the time. Let's hope I'm wrong.
GundamGuy_UK
The "hold right until level complete" thing has been an argument against Sonic right since the beginning, it's not really a new thing. The only thing I don't like about Rush is that it makes you think you can actually do that, by seeming to have no enemies everywhere, then one will suddenly pop up at the end of a loop or something and cost you your rings.

I have no real problems with the 3D Sonic games (Sonic Adventure 2 is the weakest, the non-Sonic levels are terrible and you're forced to play them), but this one looks better than them.

EDIT: Hang on, this is the game where he turns into a werewolf for some reason, though...
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 15 2008, 11:00 PM)
The meeting room opposite the old Killer Instinct arcade machine. I think it was 72" anyway, I didn't have a tape measure or anything.

Ahh, I'm not sure how big they are either, but they do look bloody good. I just thought we'd got an even bigger one I hadn't heard about.
GundamGuy_UK
I thought last weeks PSN update was shit, until I saw this weeks...

They're toying with me, by not only not having Metal Gear Solid, but not having any games at all.
Omniscia
I've got to head out on the road for a bit, so I picked up a couple games for the ol' DS: Resident Evil: Deadly Silence and Lost in Blue. Both look like fun, but it will be hard unseating the New York Times Crosswords card from the slot.
NiteFall
Well, because I don't have a PS3 instead of playing MGS4, I've dusted off MGS3: Subsistance and Metal Gear Acid 2 on my PSP. boh great. The free rotational camera really does make Snake Eater a much better game.
Jubei
Has anyone seen the recently breaking story about Limbo of the Lost? Reg Hardware has a story about it that links off elsewhere with more details. These three guys made a point and click adventure, but it seems every static background is a shot lifted from some other game, plus Trailer has bits lifted from Pirates of the Caribbean and Spawn. Plus, they've lifted dialouge, UI elements from Diablo 2 and elsewhere. Amazing that they thought they'd get away with it.

Other games screenshotted that have been found in the game:
* The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
* Unreal Tournament 2004
* Unreal Tournament 2003
* Diablo II
* Thief: The Dark Project
* Thief: Deadly Shadows
* a CryENGINE2 Tech Demo
* Silent Hill 4: The Room[citation needed]
* Return to Castle Wolfenstein
* Painkiller
* Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
* The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth
* Hexen
* World of Warcraft

See here.

Actually, this is the best place to find the blatant rip offs.
Atara
I did something silly today...

Traded in my black, slim PSP for it. I have two copies of Crisis Core now though, and a bloody silver PSP. But if I didn;t get it I'd regret it, it is limited edition afterall.
monkeyman
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jun 20 2008, 11:18 AM)
Well, because I don't have a PS3 instead of playing MGS4, I've dusted off MGS3: Subsistance and Metal Gear Acid 2 on my PSP. boh great. The free rotational camera really does make Snake Eater a much better game.

MGS3 is brilliant, it has some of the best boss battles in the series. I also loe the main Snake Eater theme song laugh.gif
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Atara @ Jun 20 2008, 07:28 PM)
I did something silly today...

Traded in my black, slim PSP for it. I have two copies of Crisis Core now though, and a bloody silver PSP. But if I didn;t get it I'd regret it, it is limited edition afterall.

My "Pre-Order Edition" of Crisis Core came on Friday, in a card box and with a hardback art book. I'm not very far in the game (just doing the bit where the Shinra Building is overrun by machines, I'm in Sector-8 with the Turks), been playing a lot of the missions though.

At first I thought the whole DWM idea left things a bit unbalanced and random, but I'm used to it now and actually think it works rather well. Even if it lets me have a Master HP Up and ATK Up when I'm only Lv12...

It looks amazing, plays really smooth and fun, and is overall much better than I was expecting (and to say I paid extra for a special version, I was expecting it to be good). It plays how FF12 should have played, I think. In terms of the mission-based play and semi-realtime battles, Crisis Core just works much better.

So what number of the 77777 did you get, anything interesting? And is it the normal PSP pack, or the special one with the potion?

Which looks mighty nice.
Atara
The UK ones don't have the serial numbers, that was th Japanese ones that were released about 9 months ago, all 77,777 were done then. The guy in Game told me this was one of them, but after further research I learned it isn;t

It just has the PSP too. The Asian one had a buster sword strap and a cool box

Potion was a seperate thing. But that has been out for ages too. They were all released with the 10 year anniversary which was mast September. The UK PSP is just a limited edition PSP.
Flame7581
The stupidest games but so freaking addicting. My arm is still sore from playing 'Playground' on the Wii at a friends till 4am Friday and then for a few hours on Sat too.. Damn dodgeball
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Atara @ Jun 23 2008, 02:35 PM)
The UK ones...

The what?! I thought only those 7777 Japanese ones were made... curses.

EDIT: God, I fucking hate GAME and their refusal to acknowledge that there are in fact games older than 2002.

Now, I can see how people would like them, but is Call of Duty 4 really the single greatest game ever made? Of course it fucking isn't.

Just look at that list and see how many came out in the last 2 years. Halo 3 gets 7th, while Grim Fandango only just makes it at 99th. It's a fucking disgrace if this was an actual poll and not made up by some web designers.

Then again, I suppose most of the people who voted were chavs anyway, as they're the only people I ever see in GAME - gawping over the latest skateboard or whatever game.

4/5ths of the customers won't even have heard of the Mega Drive. They weren't there at the beginning. They didn't see how good it was, how important. This is it for them, this jumped-up, fireworks display of a toy advert. Because everyone knows the better the graphics, the better the game. A member of staff there actually told me that once...

Oooh, I'm going to have to play some Super Mario Land II: Six Golden Coins (the best Mario game ever), to let off some steam...
Atara
Apparently not, I am going to check further. There is no serial number on the UK one...or should I say European. So I don't even have any idea how many there are made. The guy in Game lied...he lied bad.
GundamGuy_UK
All I can find about it is on the GAME website.

"Unskippable cutscenes and limit break animations"

Ah, GAME... (hint: push the Start button like it says in the manual)

GAME staff are all full of shit. Numerous times they've said things to me that I know for a fact aren't correct. Some of them don't even make sense. And like I said before, it's like they've never heard of anything before the current generation.

Case in point, I remember a GAME member of staff telling me that Sonic Adventure 2 was the first good Sonic game...
Outatime
I bought some second hand Donkey Konga bongos from Game, the girl went off to get them for me and came back with a brand new Donkey Konga set. I walked quickly out of the shop before opening the box to double check. Similar thing happened to me in HMV a few months before when I got the Mario Kart DS pack and Pac Pix for £99.99 instead of £115.99 smile.gif
GundamGuy_UK
Oh God, just got up to meeting Aeries in Crisis Core, and I nearly teared up when her theme started playing
NiteFall
I just picked up Command & Conquer: Renegade for 89p. I remember actually quite enjoying it, and at that price I don't really care if it is as bad as everyone says.
Atara
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jun 24 2008, 11:42 AM)
Oh God, just got up to meeting Aeries in Crisis Core, and I nearly teared up when her theme started playing

It is a damn good game. I got all emotional plenty times... It is just so pretty sends a shiver up my spine every time something familiar happens.
Jimmay
Civilization Revolution is eating away at my life. It's nowhere near as deep or involving as its PC counterparts but the "quickfire" campaigns (3 hours or so) are still brilliant and I'm really getting the hang of some of the added little quirks. I'm trying to complete it with every civilization as they all have special bonuses above and beyond special units. Only done 4 so far though!
Jubei
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 25 2008, 09:32 AM)
Civilization Revolution is eating away at my life.  It's nowhere near as deep or involving as its PC counterparts but the "quickfire" campaigns (3 hours or so) are still brilliant and I'm really getting the hang of some of the added little quirks.  I'm trying to complete it with every civilization as they all have special bonuses above and beyond special units.  Only done 4 so far though!

Is it a full retail game or XBLA?
Jimmay
QUOTE (Jubei @ Jun 25 2008, 09:33 AM)
Is it a full retail game or XBLA?

Full retail, and it's pretty hefty although not very customisable. There are about 15 campaigns with different variations on the standard game but you can only play one type of campaign which is you versus 4 other Civs. The multiplayer is meant to be pretty good as well although I am yet to try it as I want to play against someone I know. May have to wait a while though.
Jubei
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 25 2008, 09:37 AM)
Full retail, and it's pretty hefty although not very customisable.  There are about 15 campaigns with different variations on the standard game but you can only play one type of campaign which is you versus 4 other Civs.  The multiplayer is meant to be pretty good as well although I am yet to try it as I want to play against someone I know.  May have to wait a while though.

I read a bit about this, but couldn't work out if it was a big game or not, seems it is. The online multiplayer games can apparently last hours as well, with up to 4 players. Shame it's not XBLA or I might have been able to stretch to buying it and giving you a game.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Jubei @ Jun 25 2008, 09:39 AM)
I read a bit about this, but couldn't work out if it was a big game or not, seems it is.  The online multiplayer games can apparently last hours as well, with up to 4 players.  Shame it's not XBLA or I might have been able to stretch to buying it and giving you a game.

You can pick it up for £30 online and if you're a Civ fan I would recommend it.
curtinparloe
I went a bit mad this weekend and downloaded all the Amiga games I used to own, and I've been having a nostalgic bloodbath biggrin.gif

(Frontier still rules. I still can't believe they did such a shoddy PC port.)
Llama
I have never played any of the Civilization games, is there a particular one people would recommend?
Jimmay
QUOTE (Llama @ Jun 25 2008, 12:29 PM)
I have never played any of the Civilization games, is there a particular one people would recommend?

I started playing Civilization with the very first one which had a manual about an inch thick. Being young and naÔve I learned how to play it by trial and error. With every new PC version of Civ (theyíre up to 4 now) they add new features so it has been quite easy to learn the new things as they come along. I can imagine it would be pretty overwhelming to learn the whole lot from scratch by jumping in on Civ IV.

If you have a 360 though I would recommend Civ Revolution as it tones down on the detail a hell of a lot and is a bit more arcadey without being too simple and boring. If you like it then maybe give Civ IV a try.

On the other hand, my mate swears by Civ II and didnít get on with any of the ones after that but I reckon that would look pretty dated now.
NiteFall
Civ II is an evil, evil game that made me fail my exams.
Jimmay
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jun 25 2008, 02:06 PM)
Civ II is an evil, evil game that made me fail my exams.

Me too. It was the only game that I had on my old 486 that my parents thought was nothing more than a word processor. The sound and the CD drive were both knackered but it ran without the CD and didn't need sound. Ideal for me playing it sneakily while my parents thought I was working.
Llama
Thanks for the advice, Jimmay, sir. I will give Revolution a go once the price has gone down a bit and see how I get on. It does sound a lot like something I'd enjoy though so I can't imagine I'll be disappointed.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Llama @ Jun 25 2008, 02:22 PM)
Thanks for the advice, Jimmay, sir. I will give Revolution a go once the price has gone down a bit and see how I get on. It does sound a lot like something I'd enjoy though so I can't imagine I'll be disappointed.

Well once you get hold of a copy and get a bit of practice in give me a shout and we can have a game.
Llama
Will do!
Raven
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 25 2008, 02:05 PM)
On the other hand, my mate swears by Civ II and didnít get on with any of the ones after that but I reckon that would look pretty dated now.

I found that as well, and have played Civ II as recently as last Easter. It may look dated, but the game play is as good, and addictive, as ever. I still have all the add-ons for it as well, so I can customise the game or make my own version!

I just wish I could find the development chart for it again, it takes an age working out what to develop next using the in game tools!
Jimmay
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 25 2008, 04:24 PM)
I found that as well, and have played Civ II as recently as last Easter.  It may look dated, but the game play is as good, and addictive, as ever.  I still have all the add-ons for it as well, so I can customise the game or make my own version!

I just wish I could find the development chart for it again, it takes an age working out what to develop next using the in game tools!

I'm struggling to remember what CIVII looked like. I remember when I showed my mate the first Civilization, which I was addicted to at the time, he laughed when he saw how basic the graphics were and then gave me a copy of CivII. It was beautiful but I bet it looks shocking now. I'm going to dig up some screenshots.
Raven
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 25 2008, 04:42 PM)
I'm struggling to remember what CIVII looked like.  I remember when I showed my mate the first Civilization, which I was addicted to at the time, he laughed when he saw how basic the graphics were and then gave me a copy of CivII.  It was beautiful but I bet it looks shocking now.  I'm going to dig up some screenshots.

It's not that bad to be honest, becuase it's a game that doesn't really need a load of fancy graphics.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 25 2008, 04:47 PM)

It's not that bad to be honest, becuase it's a game that doesn't really need a load of fancy graphics.

Ace. I could live with that, easy. I wonder if there's a way I could download it onto my Blackberry or something. That would make the commute down to London that much quicker.
Raven
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 25 2008, 04:56 PM)
Ace.  I could live with that, easy.  I wonder if there's a way I could download it onto my Blackberry or something.  That would make the commute down to London that much quicker.

Jimmay ends up in Brighton every morning . . .

Wikipedia Page - I've only had a quick look, but there's some interesting stuff on there!
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 25 2008, 04:24 PM)

This one?

Civ 2 was great, but I think 3 was the one I spent longest playing. Alpha Centauri was amazing, when it didn't crash.
Raven
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Jun 25 2008, 05:05 PM)

That's the puppy, thanks!
logger
I have just been reminded of Road Avenger on the Mega CD. I remember when a mate had it and I stayed up all night to complete it. I can't believe how crappy it looks now.
Atara
Video Games Live was awesome
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 25 2008, 04:56 PM)
Ace.  I could live with that, easy.  I wonder if there's a way I could download it onto my Blackberry or something.  That would make the commute down to London that much quicker.

Have a hunt round, I found PocketCiv for the Palm, and it's not bad for a cut-down version...
frostitute
http://www.psbeyond.com/news/First-Timespl...-shown.677.html

Free Radical is considering approaching Simon Pegg to cameo slash help with Timesplitters 4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.