Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
melzilla
The Mummy 3....Something about a dragon...

Cheesy, bad script, awful jokes, poorly acted. Quite completely terrible but actually quite entertaining for all those reasons.
The last 30 mins are quite fun but, on the whole, it's pretty much the same as the other films.
thirtyhelens
Kiss of the Spider Woman

Still as riveting as ever, possibly more relevant than ever, and a real crown jewel of independent cinema. Heartwrenching and breathtaking and completely fuelled by the give and take between William Hurt and Raul Julia, both at the top of their game; I noticed a lot of little minutiae that had slipped by me the first couple of times, and this time I really marveled at the economy of the storytelling which is completely informed by the performances; everything you need to know about Molina and Valentin that isn't in the script is completely there in those two guys' faces. Just remarkable. DVD also includes a feature length documentary which I'm looking forward to. (I know it wasn't a smooth production, by any means... maybe not Blade Runner levels of drama, but close.)
ella
The X Files - I Want to Believe... (...that they will bring out another film that does justice to the series because this one doesn't)

An entertaining enough way to pass a couple hours but as a huge fan of the series, I don't think that the film does it justice. Worth watching for Billy Connelly's portrayal of the psychic pedophile priest - very disconcerting.

But at the end of the day it could have been any other FBI/American Cop film. There just wasn't enough paranormal activity in it to make it an X File, let alone drag Mulder in, forgiving him of all the (made up) murder charges from the end of the last series in a big sweeping under the carpet moment. I wanted great big, scary aliens goddamit! In a big spaceship, dangling Mulder's sister in its tracter beam, with a big sign saying "Come on, she's still alive, we had her all along, chase us Mulder, chase us!" preferably while Scully was momentarily looking in the opposite direction. But no, a psychic priest and some medically advanced Russians is all they could deliver. Bah.
sweetbutinsane
The Dark Knight

Look at that, I didn't even last a week! I love it too much. I do hope it doesn't take them too long to get it out on DVD.
logger
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Aug 13 2008, 08:45 PM)
The Dark Knight

I do hope it doesn't take them too long to get it out on DVD.

I'm guessing it'll be out for xmas. wink.gif
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (ella @ Aug 13 2008, 07:18 PM)
The X Files - I Want to Believe... (...that they will bring out another film that does justice to the series because this one doesn't)

An entertaining enough way to pass a couple hours but as a huge fan of the series, I don't think that the film does it justice. Worth watching for Billy Connelly's portrayal of the psychic pedophile priest - very disconcerting.

But at the end of the day it could have been any other FBI/American Cop film. There just wasn't enough paranormal activity in it to make it an X File, let alone drag Mulder in, forgiving him of all the (made up) murder charges from the end of the last series in a big sweeping under the carpet moment. I wanted great big, scary aliens goddamit! In a big spaceship, dangling Mulder's sister in its tracter beam, with a big sign saying "Come on, she's still alive, we had her all along, chase us Mulder, chase us!" preferably while Scully was momentarily looking in the opposite direction. But no, a psychic priest and some medically advanced Russians is all they could deliver. Bah.

I just got back from seeing it, and I think all criticisms levelled at it (and indeed its box office takings) are fair (though I do hope they do a third one at some point). But I can't really be too annoyed by it just because it was nice to have another X Files adventure, even if it was, as you say barely worthy of their attention as paranormal plots go. It wasn't ever scary or especially thrilling, there were about 5 too many Mulder and Scully to-and-fro conversations (as if we, or they, need to be reminded of their individual strengths and foibles yet again after 15 years), and the Dr. Dana sub-plot, while the emotional core of the film (excepting the duo's own relationship), was tedious at best. But but but! It was commendably low-key and not big on flashy effects (though Amanda Peet's elevator shaft fall was horribly executed), it kicked up big issues with gleeful abandon like a kid tearing through a philosophy book, and the last 30 minutes or so made up for any previous shortcomings with a good old-fashioned ticking-clock final act which, while not being a big supernatural reveal, was pleasingly icky and just a bit nuts - like the bizarre Dubya jab. I also really liked the music and the end credits. Flawed certainly, and not exactly big screen material, but I wasn't disappointed.

Plus the presence of Pimp My Ride's Xzibit as an FBI agent surely means Westwood's a shoe-in as a CID officer in a future installment?
ella
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 13 2008, 10:13 PM)
I just got back from seeing it, and I think all criticisms levelled at it (and indeed its box office takings) are fair (though I do hope they do a third one at some point). But I can't really be too annoyed by it just because it was nice to have another X Files adventure, even if it was, as you say barely worthy of their attention as paranormal plots go. It wasn't ever scary or especially thrilling, there were about 5 too many Mulder and Scully to-and-fro conversations (as if we, or they, need to be reminded of their individual strengths and foibles yet again after 15 years), and the Dr. Dana sub-plot, while the emotional core of the film (excepting the duo's own relationship), was tedious at best. But but but! It was commendably low-key and not big on flashy effects (though Amanda Peet's elevator shaft fall was horribly executed), it kicked up big issues with gleeful abandon like a kid tearing through a philosophy book, and the last 30 minutes or so made up for any previous shortcomings with a good old-fashioned ticking-clock final act which, while not being a big supernatural reveal, was pleasingly icky and just a bit nuts - like the bizarre Dubya jab. I also really liked the music and the end credits. Flawed certainly, and not exactly big screen material, but I wasn't disappointed.

Plus the presence of Pimp My Ride's Xzibit as an FBI agent surely means Westwood's a shoe-in as a CID officer in a future installment?

I am presuming that they will do another as this one felt a little bit like the the reintroduction of characters and hopefully that one will have something paranormal in it somewhere

The music was ace. The first bit of the theme tune had me whistling along. It was like a big, musical comfort blanket.
maian
I'm having a good week for seeing classic films at the cinema, as I just got back from seeing The Apartment, which was even better than the last time I watched it (though this time it wasn't 4 in the morning). It's pretty much perfect, moviewise; great dialogue, performances and just the right amount of cynicism, bleakness and sweetness (the formula seems to be 9 tenths of the first two and 1 tenth of the latter, with a punch or two thrown in).
Omniscia
QUOTE (melzilla @ Aug 13 2008, 01:14 PM)
...it's pretty much the same as the other films.

Hardly! Where's Rachel Weisz? tongue.gif
Ade
Just finished a double-bill of Jean de Florette and its sequel* Manon des Sources.

Still as heartbreakingly beautiful as they were the first time I saw them, and almost my absolute favourite French language films ever (narrowly pipped to the post by Amélie). Both are still glorious works of art - pure, timeless classics (aside from a brief, dodgy thunderstorm special effect in the first film, it's hard to believe they were made 22 years ago). Highly recommended.

* 'Sequel' isn't really the right term. It's essentially Part 2. Must be viewed in its entirety.
Rebus
Knocked Up

Exactly what I was expecting, delivered well, very funny, been meaning to see this for awhile and I'm glad I did. Still, will probably wait til Pineapple Express is released on DVD.
ella
QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 14 2008, 01:11 AM)
Just finished a double-bill of Jean de Florette and its sequel* Manon des Sources.

Aww I love Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources. Good call - I am going to have to dig my copies out now. Haven't seen them for years.

I am currently watching Kiki's Delivery Service, which is my very favourite Myazaki film. It is just adorable.
Sostie
QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 14 2008, 02:11 AM)

They are truly marvellous films. I remember first seeing them many years ago on BBC2 one Christmas, and despite the slow pace, I was engrossed from start to finish.
Ade
I'm damn near inspired to find my harmonica now.
Sostie
QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 14 2008, 11:36 AM)

And stick a cushion under the back of your shirt and breed rabbits.
Rua
QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 14 2008, 11:36 AM)

You've just reminded me I have one....somewhere. Shame on me.

Watched Juno the other night.
It's rather sweet, even though I did find the main character a little unbelievable at times.
Liked it, didn't love it.
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 14 2008, 11:37 AM)
And stick a cushion under the back of your shirt and breed rabbits.

Oui. C'est très tentant, bien sur.
Omniscia
Rambo: First Blood Part II Part III, or whatever we're calling it now...

It's too bad there's already a movie out there called Dumbo, 'cos that would be a far better title. Loud, stupid, macho action films just don't work without the tongue-in-cheek humour I've come to expect from the best of the genre, and this was far too earnest for its own good.

Cornball pseudo-profundities abound, and the whole thing's gorier than Tom Savini's home movies. It doesn't help that Sly's dialogue is barely audible. Even if you didn't have everything in sight exploding every other minute, you can't easily understand a guy who sounds like he swallowed an ashtray full of rocks, although that could well be a side-effect of having apparently eaten Barry Bonds for breakfast...
dandan
la vie en rose - nothing existed before you. it's all gone...

a film of the life of edith piaf (marion cotillard). the daughter of louis (jean-paul rouve); a contortionist, who spent edith's early years in the military, and anetta (clotilde courau), whose dreams of being a singer cause her to neglect her maternal duties and, ultimately, abandon edith with her mother. louis took the sickly edith to live with his mother, aicha (farida amrouche), who ran a brothel in normandy, before eventually reuniting on the road, travelling with a circus. after a spat with the circus, louis takes to performing in the street, where edith is pushed into performing; unsure of what to do, she begins to sing. from here on in, edith begins to use her voice to make money and rise from the gutter to lauded as france's greatest popular singer...

the film is quite superb; weaving several narrative strands in a non-linear format. the first half of the film focusses on edith's childhood, building up to her first public performance, alongside her father on the street. this is inter-cut with edith's last couple of teenage years, where she makes the transition from the girlfriend of a pimp, albert (dominique bettenfeld), keeping herself from falling into prostitution by earning money singing, to a rising star, singing in a club off the champs elysées, under the wing of louis leplee (gerard depardieu). the second half of the film sees the successful edith living and loving in new york, building up to her famous performances at the olympia (where she premiered "non, je ne regrette rien"), inter-cut with her final years of life; frail from morphine and alcohol abuse, before being stricken down with cancer of the liver.

although some have criticised this structure, finding it confusing or disliking it lack of linear clarity. personally, i thought it worked extremely well and the final scenes compliment each other almost perfectly. my only critique would be the film's omission of any mention of world war two: during this period, edith sang for the occupying german forces. there is very little information about this part of edith's life (well, even less than exists about the rest of her life) and, despite some criticism, she remained popular throughout this period and, latterly, it was said she had been an instrument of the french resistance.

for the adult life of edith, seventeen to forty-seven, she is played by marion cotillard: a performance which earned her a 'best actress' oscar. assisted with make-up (which also won an oscar), cotillard is, quite simply, amazing as she inhabits the sprightly body of the seventeen year old edith and carries her through to the broken, arthritic, frame of her final years. a very deserving winner.

backing up this dominant central performance are a host of strong supporting roles which are filled by a host of fine actors; there's also wonderfully detailed production design, lighting and cinematography, which make this an extremely solid production. then, there's the music: as well as christopher gunning stepping up his game and providing a fine score, the film is, as one would imagine, filled with the glorious songs of miss piaf...

good stuff...
dandan
the uchoten hotel - suite dreams...

it is new year's eve in the hotel avanti. guests are arriving, there's an awards ceremony taking place later, entertainers to be accommodated, a countdown to organise, a troublesome call-girl to take care of, there's an escaped duck and the press are gathered outside, hoping to catch a glimpse of the disgraced senator who is hiding out in the hotel...

focussing on the staff and guests, as their lives and stories intertwine, this is a slice of classic farce; harking back to the likes of 'grand hotel' (which it references). this is the second film, written by koki mitani, which i've seen; the first being the excellent 'university of laughs'; another film with a clever script and great characterisation. although, for 'the uchoten hotel', mitani also takes to the director's chair.

the film effortlessly blends physical and situation comedy, alongside character driven humour and a touch of drama; for a film that runs over two hours, the pace is pretty frenetic and, on the whole, the film flies by. bringing the characters to like is a fine cast, including koji yakusho, takako matsu, koichi sato, shingo katori, ryoko shinohara, keiko toda, kumiko aso, you, jo odagiri and susumu terajima.

a really good slice of fun...
Jimmay
Eastern Promises

I didn't know much about this film and had forgotten to prepare myself for Aragorn's penis. It certainly was a shock with it slapping all over the place but I thought it was genuinely necessary for the scene.

I enjoyed the film a lot but it did feel rushed towards the end. However, part of me wonders whether it's just because most films I've seen recently have a penchant for dragging things out half an hour longer than is required (I'm looking at you Dark Knight) but when I thought about the ending of this film I realised that everything had happened as I wanted it to or thought it would but it just didn't show it on screen. I think more films need to take that attitude.
crazeegems
The Dark Knight

Wouldn't usually be my cup of tea at all. And yes, I admit that I only went to see it becasue of Heath Ledger. But , I did really enjoy it. Very impressive. It scared me a lot, but it also make made me laugh. The Joker dressed as the nurse. Genius.
biggrin.gif
Jessopjessopjessop
Star Wars: Clone Wars

The latest addition to the Star Wars universe is also its first fully computer-generated feature. Cynics (myself included) might say the prequels were CG heavy enough already, but this lively take on the universe is enjoyable enough. The medium means you can forgive the more childish tone, because it is aimed much more directly at children. At times it even feels like the creators were enjoying themselves, creating exciting action sequences, and even dropping in some genuinely funny moments – Stinky (Jabba's kidnapped son)'s first appearance was superb. Bad gal Asajj Ventress is a brilliant creation and a worthy addition to the Sith clan. There are also some nice directorial touches which were entirely lacking from George Lucas's typically lacklustre Star Wars work. Even the soundtrack was good; an entertaining hybrid of John Williams-esque themes and Manga-influenced action score. On the downside, some of the dialogue remains cringeworthy, and the story, set between 'Attack of the Clones' and 'Revenge of the Sith', verges on the tedious when the talky sections come to the fore. Despite the fun, I don't know if I'd recommend seeing it at the cinema...
Julie
Tropic Thunder

So much funnier than I was expected. Outstanding performances and good, silly fun with lots of explosions. What more could you want?
GundamGuy_UK
Wall-E - Long after everyone else has seen it.

After Ratatouille, my very high opinion of Pixar was lowered slightly. Not that it was a bad film (it is in fact quite good), it just couldn't compare to the likes of The Incredibles or Monsters, Inc. Pixar always seem to make a good film though, and after how wrong I was with Cars I went out to see this.

And I loved it. Part of me knew I would, because Pixar is so good. It really is one of the best films I've seen in a while. From the very bleak opening sequence to the fantastically well designed ending credits (showing what happened next as a series of art works progressing to show their culture reforming was a work of genius, and one of the best visual ideas in the whole film I think), I loved every moment. They say 80% of communication is non-verbal, and this film shows it. The robots rarely say anything other than their name, but they carry the story along perfectly. True, the big twist at the end can be spotted the second they set foot on the ship, but it's still a good one.

Charming, beautiful, thought-povoking, emotional and funny - everything we've come to expect from Pixar since 1995.

And as usual, the pre-movie short was excellent.

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - I really can't think of what to write about this. I really like it, but I'm not sure why. It makes absolutely no sense at all, has no plot, and the movie bits are just like even longer versions of his sometimes very long music videos where half of it isn't the song (Bad, for example). But it has something about it that makes it great. The Smooth Criminal bit is the part everyone thinks of, but the rest of it is just as good weird good, and I'm glad to have seen it again.
Omniscia
Heavy Metal

Good soundtrack, interesting voice cast (John Candy as a mouse-eared sex-bot? Why not!), and some decent animation, but on the whole it's a bit too... pubescent. I could see where this would appeal if you're a 12-year-old boy, but I haven't been 12 in some time.

And the new Dolby Digital 5.1 sound mix sucked! The dynamics were all over the place, and instead of smooth panning, the audio would abruptly switch channels with no rhyme nor reason at all. And the harder the rock, the harder it was to hear it!
UnderSpaced
Southland Tales
Letters from Iwo Jima

I liked them both, but I had no idea what was going on through half of Southland Tales. I think I got the ending though.
sweetbutinsane
The Machinist

After the initial gasp of horror at Christian Bale's impression of a skeleton, I ended up getting quite into the film and quite enjoyed it. I liked piecing together what was going on as the film progressed.

Equilibrium

Just watched it last night. I thought it was really good. The fight scenes were just insane; I could barely keep up! Had some nice moments too, like Preston saving the adorable little dog from being shot.
logger
The Faculty

The best cast in the world, ever, star in this Breakfast Club meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers b-movie fest. Some good examples of different b-genres, high school, sci fi, horror and the best homage to The Thing I've seen with the 'Let's see who's really real' scene.

It's the first time I've seen it and I thought it was pretty great.
Atara
I love The Faculty.
Zoe
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Aug 16 2008, 01:03 PM)
The Machinist

After the initial gasp of horror at Christian Bale's impression of a skeleton, I ended up getting quite into the film and quite enjoyed it. I liked piecing together what was going on as the film progressed.

Equilibrium

Just watched it last night. I thought it was really good. The fight scenes were just insane; I could barely keep up! Had some nice moments too, like Preston saving the adorable little dog from being shot.

Is Christian Bale the new Johnny Depp, by any chance?
maian
QUOTE (logger @ Aug 16 2008, 01:53 PM)
The Faculty

The best cast in the world, ever, star in this Breakfast Club meets Invasion of the Body Snatchers b-movie fest. Some good examples of different b-genres, high school, sci fi, horror and the best homage to The Thing I've seen with the 'Let's see who's really real' scene.

It's the first time I've seen it and I thought it was pretty great.

QUOTE (Atara @ Aug 16 2008, 02:29 PM)
I love The Faculty.

I do as well. It's a terrific B-movie and has such a good cast.

Suspiria (1977)

Red and squishy.
mousespider
QUOTE (Atara @ Aug 16 2008, 09:29 AM)
I love The Faculty.

The funniest part of that movie is when Jon Stewart dies from getting stabbed in the eye with a pen filled with drugs.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 16 2008, 03:37 PM)
Is Christian Bale the new Johnny Depp, by any chance?

However did you guess? wink.gif

Hehe.
logger
QUOTE (mousespider @ Aug 16 2008, 08:39 PM)
The funniest part of that movie is when Jon Stewart dies from getting stabbed in the eye with a pen filled with drugs.

Then turns up in the credits with an eye patch trying to pick up a donut with his fingerless hand.
Omniscia
The Rutles: All You Need is Cash

Quaint little film. Charming, to be sure, but not quite as incisive as I'd hoped. Amusing, if not exactly funny, but Bill Murray and John Belushi are memorable in their small roles.
logger
Shooter

Kind of lost interest half way through.
Zoe
No Country for Old Men (2007)

I'm realising I don't like the Coens that much. I rewatched 'The Hudsucker Proxy' recently, which I'd cite as my favourite of their films, and didn't find it half as magical as I'd remembered.

'No Country for Old Men' only served to reinforce that feeling. I didn't hate it, but I certainly couldn't see what all the fuss was about. There was nothing original about it, and I was reminded of countless other similar crime thrillers while watching it. So much so that it was easy to guess what was going to happen in any particular scene, because of the conventions it employed. I wasn't surprised by anything that happened, and I was longing for 'A History of Violence' style moment of genuine shock.

Performance wise, Tommy Lee Jones was Tommy Lee Jones, Kelly McDonald and Josh Brolin were very good (McDonald particulary), and Woody Harrelson was a somewhat pointless diversion. Of course the one performance that everyone talks about in relation to the film is Javier Bardem, but unfortunately I didn't find him all that menacing. He wasn't helped by his somewhat hack dialogue, in fact he was a pretty textbook baddie, stupid haircut aside.

To be honest I just didn't care about any of the characters, or the muddled message of the film.

I know because of their release dates, and because they're studies on America, that a lot of comparisons have been drawn between this film and 'There will be Blood'; but for me there is no comparison.
Omniscia
Night Watch

Interesting enough to hold my attention, but way too loose, narratively. It was until I gave in and stopped trying to follow the plot that I started having any fun. Otherwise, it's too convoluted and vague to work.

The trailer for Day Watch looked really neat, though, and I rented that for the weekend, but I figured I'd best watch the first film beforehand. I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference, because I still have no idea what the hell is going on.

I wish they'd have included a Russian language track on the DVD. I hate dubs, or, at least, not having a choice... They have a Russian track for the extended ending. Why not the rest?

UPDATE: That said, now that I look at DVDCompare.net, I discover that the original language track was on the flipside of the disc. I had assumed it was a pan-and-scan presentation on the other side, as it often is here. Oh well...
Llama
QUOTE (logger @ Aug 17 2008, 12:09 AM)
Shooter

I watched it too. It was ok, started off well, then sort of went a bit generic and explosion-y.
Baz
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Not as bad as I thought it was going to be, I think I enjoyed this more than any of the prequels and some of the fight scenes were great.
Rua
QUOTE (Baz @ Aug 17 2008, 10:42 AM)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Is it worth seeing in the cinema?
Zoe
Bridge to Terabithia (2007)

Very much a children's film, firmly aimed at the pre-teen age group, and it's certainly towards the top of that particular genre. It deals with some rather tough issues and genuine problems that young people face, using a combination of real world solutions and magic realism. It's an effective mix and proves surprisingly moving when the film takes an unexpected turn before the final act.

The total absence of cynicism and adult humour, mean it's probably one for children and families only, but if you fancy something in the style of eighties flicks like 'Flight of the Navigator' or 'The Neverending Story' you might find it a pleasurable diversion.

It made me cry quite a bit, but everything makes me cry.

AnnaSophia Robb is a star in the making, she's absolutely stunning. One high profile performance, in a more adult or critically successful film and I'm sure she'll be on everyone's radar as a future star. She was Violet Beauregarde in the recent Burton Chocolate Factory remake, and was the traditional creepy lank haired child in the diabolical 'The Reaping'.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (logger @ Aug 17 2008, 12:09 AM)
Shooter

I enjoyed it, but mostly because of the truely bizarre jokes me and my friend were making about it at the time.

Cool Runnings - I don't suppose I need to say anything about this one, really. Remember - bones don't break, they shatter.
Ade
Man On Wire

"Imm-poss-see-ble, impossible, impossible! Okay, so eet eez impossible, that's sure - so let's get to work."

I've already banged on about this several times already, but now I've finally seen it, I can safely say this British-made documentary about Frenchman Phillipe Petit's high-wire walk between the twin towers of the World Trade Center in 1974 is easily one of myTop 5 Films of 2008.

I wish I could better verbalise what a wonderfully poetic film ('documentary' seems too dismissive a word) this is - dandan has already done a far better job, so I'll merely quote his review again:

QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 3 2008, 11:35 AM)
man on wire - don't look down...

in 1974, philippe petit and a small team of co-conspiritors managed to sneak into the north and south towers of the world trade centre, in new york; they erected a wire, upon which philippe made his way between the twin towers.

the documentary charts this feat, portrayed as if it were a heist, whilst telling the story of the dream philippe had, of accomplishing it, when he saw that construction was beginning on the towers. showing also philippe's wire-walking exploits on the cathedral at notre dame and on the sydney harbour bridge, the documentary paints a portrait of an interesting and inspiring character...

entertaining, interesting, inspiring and beautiful. this is a very enjoyable documentary, inhabited by an interesting bunch of characters, none more so than petit himself. even though i'd never heard of this act, until i saw the trailer for this documentary a few weeks ago, the poster for the film which shows petit's walk between the towers doesn't remove any of the tension or make the viewer any less engaged. as i said, petit is a very interesting character (despite the fact he's also a juggler) and, with a humorous and slightly off-kilter look at life he, along with the others who participated in his walks, make this film eminently watchable.

the walk itself, even though it is mostly shown through photographs, is a thing of extreme beauty, whilst the reactions it evokes are quite amazing.

good stuff...

As dandan rightly says, the ebullient Phillipe is a fascinating character, and with such an obvious passion for his craft, he could probably carry the film entirely by himself - you can't help but be inspired by his general outlook on life.

It's a pity this is not on general circulation for the masses - you're only likely going to catch this at an independent cinema or your local arts centre. But I strongly recommend it if you do get the opportunity.
Baz
QUOTE (Rua @ Aug 17 2008, 10:54 AM)
Is it worth seeing in the cinema?

Yeah I'd say so just for some of the fight scenes in space which look great on the big screen.
Rua
QUOTE (Baz @ Aug 17 2008, 02:41 PM)
Yeah I'd say so just for some of the fight scenes in space which look great on the big screen.

Right then. I'm going.
GundamGuy_UK
I probably will too.

When I saw the trailer on the big screen, I was mildly impressed. The vehicles, environments and Clone Troopers all look great. It's just some of the characters look a bit odd.

Apparently, the TV series is much better and solves some of the problems critics had with the movie. I loved the cartoon series, so I'm looking forward to the new one too, and the movie is like an extended first episode I believe.
Raven
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Caught it on Film 4 this afternoon. A nice idea, I liked how they reworked the old 30's serials for a big screen outing, but it was let down hugely by the acting, and especially the presence of Gwyneth Paltrow, who just cannot act to save her life.
sweetbutinsane
Little Women

It has been years since I read the book (I don't know what happened to my copy of it) so I'm not sure about how faithful it was to the novel, but I loved it. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.