Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
maian
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Feb 20 2009, 11:58 AM) *
So i've heard.

The Escapist

It's good but also, flawed. Clearly a very low budget but this is enhanced by a decent script and inventive visuals. The cast is interesting even though some of the 'lower classes' are clearly posh lads from LAMDA being roughed up. More convincing than the last few years of Guy Ritchie anyway. Brian Cox was dependable as usual and as was Liam Cunningham - always a joy to watch.

I also took a sadistic pleasure viewing a Fight-Clubbed-up Joseph Fiennes getting smashed to bits by a huge ginger man. But mostly, he just wore a hoody and growled a lot. I likes him - don't get me wrong - but he can be very mannered and sometimes, it's off-putting. Still - he looked sexy so what do I care.

Damian Lewis was good in an odd way as this mincing villain. Stephen Mackintosh was chilling and superb as a scumbag heroin bum-rapist. He is another one who is always good at acting and the like. And some of the extras could have come from Oz - which enhanced the production

Last place goes to Dominic Cooper who was okay but I really really don't like his chimpy body and face at all. Why he is in everything at the moment, I dunno. I'm just not that into him.

I really liked this, though I agree about those particular flaws. The ending was a tad too obvious, too.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 20 2009, 09:00 PM) *
I really liked this, though I agree about those particular flaws. The ending was a tad too obvious, too.

And they set part of it in Moria. Which was nice. The ending was obvious but done quite well though, considering.
sweetbutinsane
The Dark Knight

I still love it.

My Girl

Ditto.

Brokeback Mountain

Quite moving. I cried at the end.
PrincessKate
Heavenly Creatures is on.
Love it.
logger
I very much don't. I'd never seen it before and don't think I'll ever bother again.

edit:

That sounds a bit harsh, I didn't hate it or anything I just felt Peter Jackson was out of his league with a story set in the real world giving the subject the same kind of emotional depth that he did for the Lord of the Rings films. Plus he moved the camera around like a twat and suffered from premature editing.
Kick in the Head
Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death - a cult comedy curio in which the only things cheaper than the gags are the production values. A feminist ethno-historian (a surprisingly decent Shannon Tweed) heads into the deep Californian avocado jungles to locate Dr. Francine Kurtz (groan) who went missing in search of the Piranha Women, a tribe who dominate and eat their men. It's all a bit obvious and punctuated with lame slapstick, and Bill Maher's chauvinist guide is...well, he's no Bill Murray. But it's endearing, it's entertaining, it's got Adrienne Barbeau, and the ditzy Bunny character is fun. Goofy, no-brain silliness. Also has a peculiar DVD extra, in which avocados pop up all over the menu screen. For no reason at all.
curtinparloe
Memento
Chris Nolan's film about a man who can't make new memories. Still great.

The Eye
The Pang Brothers' highly acclaimed film about a blind woman given new weird eyes.
I can't believe how disappointing this was. there was no tension, no suspense, no shocks. A waste of an hour and a half.
logger
The Lost Boys

Young, dumb and full of fun.

Appaloosa

Marlon Brando and John Saxon in low budget Western that's fairly grim for Sunday afternoon tv.
sweetbutinsane
Titanic

Well, I watched the second half and the hilarious (but very cheesy and badly acted) alternate ending.

"That really sucks, lady!"
maian
Venus

Peter O'Toole is pervy to Oscar-nominated effect. Quite sweet, I really liked his rapport with Leslie Phillips and Richard Griffiths.

Thank You For Smoking

Still very funny and a better film all round than I remember it being.

Blood Diamond

An Ed Zwick film about non-white people in which the white guy is the hero (though not too heroic because he's a bit racist and that). What a rarity! Ipart frim Layo's appleing iccent, it was a lot better than I thought it would be and continues Zwick's run as the king of slightly thoughtful (but not too thoughtful) action films.
Sostie
GRAN TORINO
It's a pretty cliched plot, but if this really is Clint Eastwood's acting swansong, he's gone out with a bang. He seems to have channelled all his most famous roles into one character. Another contender for film of the year.
Jimmay
A couple of Sunday treats to nurse my hangover:

Predator After seeing about 10 minutes of AvP Requiem I NEEDED Sarah to watch where it started (in terms of Predator anyway.) It'd been a few years since I last watched it and I loved it just as much this time round. Fantastic film.

Sleepy Hollow I was enjoying it but then it lived up to its name and I fell asleep. Missed the whole ending and having never seen it before I'm kind of glad as I didn't want it to be ruined. I'll have to catch the end tonight I think. It did confuse me though with the American actors putting on English accents (badly in some cases) and vice versa. Make your minds up people.
Sostie
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Feb 23 2009, 11:33 AM) *
Sleepy Hollow ...It did confuse me though with the American actors putting on English accents (badly in some cases) and vice versa. Make your minds up people.

Considering, at the time, not only did immigrants continue to arrive in America, but some generations of ex-European Americans had been established, maybe accents were all over the place back then. Or maybe some actors are just a bit crap with accents.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Sostie @ Feb 23 2009, 11:39 AM) *
Considering, at the time, not only did immigrants continue to arrive in America, but some generations of ex-European Americans had been established, maybe accents were all over the place back then. Or maybe some actors are just a bit crap with accents.

That was what I thought, but it seemed strange that even within families they had different accents where mothers were English actors with American accents and their children had English accents. It was just a bit confused although didn't detract from my enjoyment of the film (or at least the majority of it that I saw.)
monkeyman
Sleeppy hollow is great, sad i missed it on TV the other day.
Baz
Friday the 13th (2009 remake)
Been waiting to see this for ages as I'm a huge fan of the original. Wasn't disappointed but wasn't amazed by it either. Probably the best remake of a horror film that's been done and made me jump in a few places but there was just a couple of silly bits in it that didn't need to be there and if they'd been removed it would of been a fantastic film.

Just hope they add a bit more gore to the sequel.

My Super Ex Girlfriend
I fell asleep after about 10 minutes.
Raven
QUOTE (Baz @ Feb 23 2009, 01:25 PM) *
My Super Ex Girlfriend
I fell asleep after about 10 minutes.

You didn't miss much.

Good premise, poorly executed.
Shack
Kicking and Screaming

A lot better in terms of Ferrell fun than I was expecting. Mike Ditka is a revelation.

Tropic Thunder

Seen through a haze of red wine. Just terrific. I liked how my favourite character changed as the film went along.
logger
Platoon

Simple, unambiguous and uncompromising grunt's tale whose biggest draw back is its over simplicity. It's a good film but it could have been a great film with a better director, I don't think it's any coincidence that a lot of the best looking parts of the film second unit stuff.

It's the first time I've watched it all the way through and whilst I have seen Willem Defoe's death before I couldn't help snigger the thought of the Tropic Thunder parody.
Zoe
The Bank Job (2008)

Very entertaining. Predictable and a bit like an extended episode of a seventies sitcom, but what else would you expect from Dick Clement and Ian Le Frenais? The dialogue is laughable, in the best possible way.

I like it when The Stath beat someone up with a brick.

The Constant Gardener (2005)

Still brilliant, thought provoking, harrowing and beautifully romantic. Perfectly balanced and performed cinema.
curtinparloe
Gran Torino
It took a while to get going, and some rather dodgy expository dialogue, but by about half an hour in I was hooked. There were some really funny moments in what's otherwise a touching film.

It's Clint, so don't expect an ending that's too happy.
Lazlo Woodbine
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 23 2009, 02:13 PM) *
You didn't miss much.

Good premise, poorly executed.

My thoughts exactly. I saw it on a plane but it left so little impression that I couldn't remember if i'd fallen asleep for the whole thing. Watching it again the other night showed me that no, it was really just incredibly dull. Baz probably only thinks he fell asleep too.
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 26 2009, 11:37 PM) *
The Bank Job (2008)

I like it when The Stath beat someone up with a brick.

It was the 70's. The roundhouse hadn't been invented yet. Neither had beating someone up and losing your top in the process.
Julie
Coraline

I was not disappointed. It was wonderfully unsettling, incredibly beautiful and the 3D was extremely well done.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 27 2009, 12:27 AM) *
Coraline

I was not disappointed. It was wonderfully unsettling, incredibly beautiful and the 3D was extremely well done.

What she said.
Serafina_Pekkala
Good news on Coraline!

QUOTE (Zoe @ Feb 26 2009, 11:37 PM) *
The Constant Gardener (2005)

Still brilliant, thought provoking, harrowing and beautifully romantic. Perfectly balanced and performed cinema.

It is a fabulous film - great direction and music and cinematography. I'm surprised the magnificent Danny Huston didn't get supporting actor awards cos he was ace. In a sea of cold fish posteuring actors, this really shines out in terms of acting chemistry.

And it shows the hassles involved with doing rudies whilst wearing crochet tights.
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 27 2009, 05:27 AM) *
Coraline

As the first 3D film I've ever seen, I enjoyed it. I've not read the book, but watched it with someone who had. It has some great creepy moments (Other Dad's bit about Wybie having "made a long face and mother didn't like it" was a stand-out on that front for me), but I couldn't help feeling that once she discovers what she has to do (by which I mean finding the lost children's eyes), it all seemed a bit too quick and easy. Pretty damn cool, though - emphasis on the 'pretty', it does look great.
widowspider
Tropic Thunder

Finally I know what all the fuss is about. This film was fantastic. Tom Cruise really does steal the movie though - Len Grossman is one of the funniest characters he's ever done. The end credits rocked my world.
Julie
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Feb 27 2009, 08:13 AM) *
As the first 3D film I've ever seen, I enjoyed it. I've not read the book, but watched it with someone who had. It has some great creepy moments (Other Dad's bit about Wybie having "made a long face and mother didn't like it" was a stand-out on that front for me), but I couldn't help feeling that once she discovers what she has to do (by which I mean finding the lost children's eyes), it all seemed a bit too quick and easy. Pretty damn cool, though - emphasis on the 'pretty', it does look great.

I have to agree. I would gladly have enjoyed another 30 minutes or so of creepiness.
Sostie
VALKYRIE
Not too bad. Despite knowing the end it still keeps you engrossed. You do, however, spend most of the time playing playing spot the Brit thesp - it really is a stunning selection of top actors (Tom Hollander being my fave surprise inclusion).
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 27 2009, 05:27 AM) *
Coraline

Aww, I'm so jealous! It's apparently not released over here until the 8th of May.
Jessopjessopjessop
Franklyn
While it's great to see an ambitious British genre film filmed in some more obscure areas of the capital, it's no consolation when said film just doesn't work.

I was extremely vague on the details of the story, and wanted it to remain that way for a totally surprising experience. It's difficult to talk about the plot without giving away the twist or twists, so I won't. Suffice it to say that the denouement is a surprise indeed, but also really quite bad.

Some decent performances (Bernard Hill is excellent) and what must have been a fairly big budget don't make up for the film's flaws. The fact that the tale was fleshed out from a short story by the director/writer himself is very obvious in retrospect, although multiple strands of narrative come together reasonably successfully. Unfortunately, everything in between feels either unoriginal, confused or really unsophisticated.

It was interesting to feel my own distraction at seeing some very familiar parts of London filmed extensively, which kick-started my desire to have seen an American version of this script. 'Dark City' is really similar in tone and story to Franklyn, and much more engaging.

Finally, I still heart Eva Green, who, despite her character suffering from some very naive A-level writing, remains both stunningly attractive and very strange looking at the same time.
Atara
Punisher - War Zone

Well the best word to describe this film would be incredi-bad. Half serious, half ridiculous with a couple of awful comedy bad guys and a fistful of questionable acting, I wouldn't rush to the cinema to see it.

It had some very amusing killings and I could watch it again, unlike the other shite film we watched recently, Max Payne.

Worth a watch, if only for a laugh and to kill some time with violence.
KevinandNick
Wall-E

Watched it on Blu-Ray last night - I enjoyed the film much more than when Nick, Clare (his other half) and I saw it on the big screen last summer.

Great stuff! smile.gif

Kev W
Baz
What We Do Is Secret

Possibly one of the best films I've seen. The film is a biopic of Darby Crash, the lead singer of 70s punk band, The Germs which was also Pat Smear (ex Nirvana and Foo Fighters) first band.

The film, set around the narrative of Darby's 5 year plan to become a legend which ends up with his planned suicide being over shadowed by the death of John Lennon.

Not only does this tell a great story but it has an amazing soundtrack to boot. Even if you're not a fan of punk music I still think most people would enjoy watching this film as it has a good solid story about friendship and the ups and downs of success.

I even had a few tears in my eyes at the end of the film.

Feast II - Sloppy Seconds
I love a good over the top gore fest of a horror film, but even I have to admit this is a piece of crap. The first Feast film was pretty good which I enjoyed lots, but this follow up is just poor, very poor. Bad acting, bad CGI effects and very bad directing and editing, the story (well there really isn't one) is just all over the place and even though you know that the group you follow are trying to survive it's just a mess and you never really know what's going on.

The only redeeming feature of this film was they kept in a lot of gore.

I'm not holding much hope for Feast III which I'll watch tomorrow.
Serafina_Pekkala
I was interested in seeing Franklyn but heard very mixed reviews.

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Feb 27 2009, 10:50 PM) *
Finally, I still heart Eva Green, who, despite her character suffering from some very naive A-level writing, remains both stunningly attractive and very strange looking at the same time.

And perfect tits that could possibly create world peace.
curtinparloe
I got me one of those year cinema passes. I need to watch at least 27 movies this year...

The International
A bit talky, and too many swooping establishing shots. Otherwise pretty entertaining.

Vicky Christina Barcelona
don't get me wrong, I love some Woody Allen films. This was absorbing, but nowhere near as funny as some people on our row thought.
Shack
Bubba Ho-Tep

Just marvellous. A joy from beginning to end.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Feb 27 2009, 10:50 PM) *
Franklyn
While it's great to see an ambitious British genre film filmed in some more obscure areas of the capital, it's no consolation when said film just doesn't work.

I was extremely vague on the details of the story, and wanted it to remain that way for a totally surprising experience. It's difficult to talk about the plot without giving away the twist or twists, so I won't. Suffice it to say that the denouement is a surprise indeed, but also really quite bad.

Some decent performances (Bernard Hill is excellent) and what must have been a fairly big budget don't make up for the film's flaws. The fact that the tale was fleshed out from a short story by the director/writer himself is very obvious in retrospect, although multiple strands of narrative come together reasonably successfully. Unfortunately, everything in between feels either unoriginal, confused or really unsophisticated.

It was interesting to feel my own distraction at seeing some very familiar parts of London filmed extensively, which kick-started my desire to have seen an American version of this script. 'Dark City' is really similar in tone and story to Franklyn, and much more engaging.

I fairly agree.

After Jonathan Ross' hugely negative review, I was a bit anxious about seeing it, but I'd already promised a friend we'd go see it. Turns out he was more disappointed than me, so perhaps going in expecting awfulness was the right thing to do. It was unoriginal, self-important clap-trap, but somehow, it didn't bother me so much, when certain elements would have annoyed the hell out of me in another film. I guess I was more forgiving because it was British, it was a first-time writer-director and it did have a good cast. Also, so many of these kinda films use religious metaphor and iconography which are always so ham-fisted, but because this film was ALL about religion, the fact that it was so blatant didn't rile me like it usually does (and the skyscraper cathedrals were undeniably pretty). And the fact that Eva Green's own art tutor calls her work 'drivel' perhaps suggests the film is on the audience's side - artists in films are always cocks.

A poor work that's hard to recommend, but not quite worthy of some of the harshness it's received. But I think I'm as torn as you in that while this is the kind of film Britain should be making it is also absolutely not what the end result should be like. At all.
sweetbutinsane
Meet The Parents

Meh.
sleeping_pirate
Slumdog Millionaire

A very well made and enjoyable film but I don't think it was worth all of the awards it's received. However, I wasn't disappointed and the cinematography was beautiful.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Mar 1 2009, 03:25 PM) *
I guess I was more forgiving because it was British, it was a first-time writer-director and it did have a good cast.

And the fact that Eva Green's own art tutor calls her work 'drivel' perhaps suggests the film is on the audience's side - artists in films are always cocks.
Yeah, I don't like being so negative - and wouldn't destroy it like Ross did (ouch!) simply because it could pave the way for bigger and better things - but it is very poor in all departments but design and effects. Usually, the opposite would be true about non-studio films; great story with not enough money.

You might be right about Green's character, but I don't think the script was that clever! There was no indication that her being a cock was ironic.
Sostie
SAW V
No, seriously, you've had your fun, please fuck off. They're just not trying - there's a series of tasks that you immediately work out how to do from Jigsaw's initial instructions. The film seems to be set in a world where crime scenes are not cleaned up, dismantled or secured - they even went to ones from the first film. Worst of all (apart from Jigsaw's continued wanky philosophising) there is a big mystery set up at the beginning, but never revealed, and instead it seems to be an unimaginative attempt to involve a character in the story, using her to move the story forward. Her motive being the mystery that is never revealed. Fucking lazy.

ROLE MODELS
Pretty funny. Paul Rudd & Sean William Scott make a pretty good pairing playing the kind of people they seem to play in most of their films. Some good support too - Jane Lynch, Christopher Mintz-Plasse (thankfully avoids repeating McLovin) and 12 year old Bobb'e J. Thompson who nearly steals the whole film. Kids swearing is funny.

PUNISHER: WAR ZONE
I like The Punisher. He's like Batman without the money, gadgets and morals. Which boils down to him actually being a vicious, single-minded vigilante. The first film under the the Marvel Knights banner (the more "adult" wing of Marvel Comics) this has to be the most violent and gory comic book adaptation I've seen. The three main leads are played by Brits which was a bit odd - Ray Stephenson makes a pretty good Frank Castle/Punisher - he doesn't have to do much other than brood and kill, but he still does it better than Thomas Jane and Dolf Lundgren, Colin Salmon at last kicks ass in a film, and Dominic West as Jigsaw, plays villain that gets more and more cartoonish as the films goes on. Some of the script is dodgy, as is some acting (mainly Doug Hutchinson, X-Files' Tooms) but as a relentlessly nasty vigilante film I really enjoyed it.
Shame there was no Stan Lee cameo. I can imagine him turning up on screen and instantly being shot in the face. That would have been a memorable cameo.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 2 2009, 09:28 AM) *
Yeah, I don't like being so negative - and wouldn't destroy it like Ross did (ouch!) simply because it could pave the way for bigger and better things - but it is very poor in all departments but design and effects. Usually, the opposite would be true about non-studio films; great story with not enough money.

You might be right about Green's character, but I don't think the script was that clever! There was no indication that her being a cock was ironic.

Yeah, I very much doubt the script was that clever either, but I had to find a silver lining somewhere!

QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 2 2009, 10:58 AM) *
PUNISHER: WAR ZONE
I like The Punisher. He's like Batman without the money, gadgets and morals. Which boils down to him actually being a vicious, single-minded vigilante. The first film under the the Marvel Knights banner (the more "adult" wing of Marvel Comics) this has to be the most violent and gory comic book adaptation I've seen. The three main leads are played by Brits which was a bit odd - Ray Stephenson makes a pretty good Frank Castle/Punisher - he doesn't have to do much other than brood and kill, but he still does it better than Thomas Jane and Dolf Lundgren, Colin Salmon at last kicks ass in a film, and Dominic West as Jigsaw, plays villain that gets more and more cartoonish as the films goes on. Some of the script is dodgy, as is some acting (mainly Doug Hutchinson, X-Files' Tooms) but as a relentlessly nasty vigilante film I really enjoyed it.
Shame there was no Stan Lee cameo. I can imagine him turning up on screen and instantly being shot in the face. That would have been a memorable cameo.

Agree 100%.

"Yummy, yummy, yummy in my tummy, tummy, tummy!" is this year's "I drink your milkshake!".

Older Than The Earth - Nigeria Movies strikes gold again. A university student / gangster named Chinedu finds a gold ring washed up on a beach and talks about how amazing it is in a bizarre 5 minute soliloquy. Then a hippo princess emerges from the water and turns into a strange man who meets our 'hero' and asks him for directions. Five years later, the stranger, Lucio, meets Chinedu again and it sort of turns out he's Lucifer. It all culminates in Chinedu being stranded on a boat and about to kill himself with a hatchet to the back of his neck rather than wait for the boat to come to a stop before being saved by some angels. Again, a super-religious special effects tour de force.

JCVD - it's good but not great. Some good jokes, it's a competent bank thriller without the Van Damage, and Jean-Claude himself delivers a fine performance (okay, so he's playing himself, but some actors find that incredibly hard to do), but it's almost too low-key to be wholly entertaining, so it's never going to satisfy his fight fans or those seeking a more meaningful study. Plus, it helps to be 'aware' of his past talk-show appearances where he waxes lyrical about bollocks - how he's perceived in Belgium is a little different to his international persona, as he's not just a washed-up DTV action star as a cod-philosophising muscle-head. Would make a good triple bill with The Wrestler and Japanese bank-heist comedy-drama Space Travellers.
Jimmay
There Will Be Blood

I really enjoyed it despite putting it off for a while because of its long running time combined with my complete dislike of Punch Drunk Love. I think I liked it a lot as it reminded me of Wilbur Smith's early novels about businessmen settling in South Africa (obviously in America) but I really enjoy stories about successful businessmen in new worlds but how there family lives suffer for it. It now means I can present Paul Thomas Anderson with my award for most hit and miss director.
mcraigclark
Rivers and Tides

I love Andy Goldsworthy, and I hadn't seen this in a few years. Good stuff.
maian
Yes (2004)

Sally Potter movie that I have self-indulgently reviewed in verse on Facebook and my blog. I liked it a lot and felt that its story about a Westerner and someone from the Middle East falling in love and learning to communicate with each other has become more relevant as time has gone on. The rhyming dialogue is very distracting but I can see why it has been done in that way.
logger
Blood Simple

Fargo

Both great as always.

Interesting to see the evolution of the Coen bros in the two films most linked to No Country. Interesting that their first film that was actually about something other than cinematic language was based on somebody else's novel*. Maybe they should write less original screenplays from now on.

*I haven't seen The Man Who Wasn't There so I could be wrong.
maian
The Man Who Wasn't There would definitely fit into the 'cinematic language' category, though like Miller's Crossing and The Big Lebowski it is as much about the works of a novelist as it is about the style of film which they are appropriating.
widowspider
Boogie Nights - having never seen it before, I was surprised at how funny it was. Very enjoyable with some superb performances, particularly Mark Wahlberg and Phillip Seymour Hoffman, who was so heartbreakingly sad.

The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen) - superb film set in East Berlin in 1984, all about the Stasi and their wiretapping of artists and individuals. Ultimately, though, it's a film about one man's cultural awakening and his rebellion against a system of control and oppression that he has worked within for many years. Outstanding performances all round.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.