Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
Chapman Baxter
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Apr 22 2009, 12:10 PM) *
They do don't they? They're essentially little unmanned jet aircraft I think.

According to Wikipedia, they can do:

There is a wide variety of UAV shapes, sizes, configurations, and characteristics. For the purposes of this article and to distinguish UAVs from missiles, a UAV is defined as capable of controlled, sustained, level flight and powered by a jet or reciprocating engine.
dandan
yeah, i kinda saw a chunk of the remake on the plane, last week, but had some mild snoozing and brain wandering for the majority. it was super shitty...

the original is ace, though...

speaking of shitty...

what just happened - really, what the fuck happened?

when the test audience reaction to jeremey brunell's (michael wincott) new film is diabolical, its producer, ben (robert de niro), comes under great pressure to fix it and make it work. meanwhile, the star of his new film, a mr bruce willis, is being awkward and refusing to shave off the beard that he is currently sporting and lose some weight...

so, i was tired and i snoozed through a little of the film's finale, but i don't think that really matters. if i hadn't been on a long haul flight, and trying to eat up as much time as possible, i'd have stopped watching. this was a piece of crap. i really can't imagine how this film got past test audiences. having been immersed in the world of 'entourage' for the last few weeks, which deals with similar goings on, but is a million times better, this was just poop.

avoid, avoid, avoid...

the sniper - now, hold your breath...

oj (edison chen) is a rookie in the sniper division (or whatever they're called) of the hong kong police. his mentor, throughout his training, is hartman (richie ren), but the reputation of an ex-sniper, lincoln (huang xiao-ming), hangs over both men. lincoln was one of the best, if not the best, but his maverick actions led to him spending four years in jail and hartman fears that oj is heading down a similar path. there's trouble brewing...

well, my second dante lam film in a three week period and, after thinking that 'the beast stalker' was pretty bad, 'the sniper' is another film that just kinda fails. my initial thoughts, whilst walking out of the cinema at the end, was that there were definitely a few sequences and moments which i enjoyed, but that dante lam was a hack. sure, there are a couple of bits which were a fun watch but, as seems to be the case, lam feels the need to throw every little trick and gimmick, that he has at his disposal, into the film. the same was true with the aforementioned 'the beast stalker', but there is just more of it here: narrative twists, flashbacks, cod psychological insights and some heavy stylisation.

it may seem crazy to say it, but perhaps the best thing about this movie is edison. i know, madness. yeah, he's not that bad as a cocksure, slightly annoying, kind of a guy, but then again, is it too much of a stretch for him to get into character for this one?

any how, in the end, the film just feels like an excuse to show some sniping sequences - some good and some poor - and for dante lam to dip into his well worn box of rather tiresome narrative devices. if the guy just made a straight up, character based piece, closer to 'beast cops', i'm pretty sure that he could pull of something good again; he just needs to stop trying to be too clever and falling on his face as a result.

probably best ignored...
monkeyman
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Apr 22 2009, 12:10 PM) *
They do don't they? They're essentially little unmanned jet aircraft I think.

I'd always assumed they wouldn't as it's not very fuel efficient and fairly unnecessary considering the payload they can carry.
As it turns out I'm half right, the UAV's used in the film don't actually use jet engines.
sweetbutinsane
Ed Wood

It never fails to make me feel happy.
Shack
Death Race

The Stathcatalogue just gets better. There are now 3 box sets I would like (2 are imaginary):

1. Dad's Army Complete Series.
2. Nicholas Cage action or adventure films from Face/Off onwards (I own Con Air and The Rock)
3. Statham: The Complete Collection.

Death Race is sweary, fighty, dirty and plenty of fun. You can almost forgive the cliched plot and obvious turn of events. Fun with a capital FUN.
Sostie
QUOTE (Shack @ Apr 22 2009, 10:46 PM) *
Death Race

The Stathcatalogue just gets better. There are now 3 box sets I would like (2 are imaginary):...

3. Statham: The Complete Collection.

It would be shaped like a large plastic torso. When you press an ab a little drawer will slide out containing a few discs.
Shack
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 23 2009, 11:31 AM) *
It would be shaped like a large plastic torso. When you press an ab a little drawer will slide out containing a few discs.

It could stand on top of my shelving next to my fish chalkboard.
dandan
let the right one in - little kiss...

oskar (kare hedebrant) is twelve years old. he lives with his mother in a suburb of stockholm, is bullied at school, has no discernible friends and spends his time by himself, reading and playing. when eli (lina leandersson ) moves in next door, he suddenly finds himself with a potentially interesting and, even, mysterious companion. despite initial protestations, from eli, that the two could not be friends, a relationship begins to develop and grow.

eli is also twelve. she lives with an older man, hakan (per ragnar), who kills people and drains their blood, so that she may drink it, she doesn't go to school or, indeed, leave her flat during the day. she is a vampire...

'let the right one in' has been generating a lot of talk and people have been saying lots of positive things about it. having had the chance to see downloaded versions of the us dvd (with the dodgy subtitles), i'm glad i waited to see this at the cinema, predominantly, as it is a rather beautiful film to watch; from the prolonged shot of snow falling against a black, night sky, which accompanies the film's opening, the cinematography and lighting are never less than fantastic. it is one of the most prettily shot films i have watched for a while.

the film, itself, enjoys taking a slightly different slant on the vampire movie: sure, there are some of the usual elements of vampiric gore and lore, but the film is much more concerned with the day to day and, more specifically, with the relationship between two lonely twelve year old children, who are both marginalised, but for very different reasons, and how they bond. additionally, the ambiguous and suggested fill the periphery of this relationship; only minor hints and inferences about eli's relationship with hakan, the reasons for the separation of oskar's parents.

the characterisation, of both oskar and eli, is very well judged; with oskar being more than just a fleshed out stereotype and eli managing to exude both the world weary and child-like elements of her persona. both actors deserve a lot of credit for their performances.

having had a look at the differences between the film and the novel it was adapted from, one gets quite a different perspective on several elements of the film. i may have to read it...

any how, a very good film. go watch it...
maian
QUOTE (dandan @ Apr 23 2009, 11:55 AM) *
let the right one in - little kiss...

having had a look at the differences between the film and the novel it was adapted from, one gets quite a different perspective on several elements of the film. i may have to read it...

It's very good. It's an altogether richer story that takes full advantage of its medium by having more characters, spends a greater deal of time examining the personal lives of the characters and more directly hits home the sense of isolation and social critique that is apparent in the film.
maian
In The Loop

Following a slip of the tongue in which he described war in the Middle East as ''unforeseeable'', Minister for International Development Simon Foster (Tom Hollander), finds himself in a quagmire of farce and intrigue as those for and against the war try to use him as a fulcrum to give their case leverage. Flown over to Washington, new aide, Toby (Chris Addison), in toe, Foster has to contend with American politicians (Mimi Kennedy and David Rasche), a dovish general (James Gandolfini) and the P.M.'s pernicious and prurient Press Secretary, Malcolm Tucker (Peter Capaldi), as war seems ever more likely.

A non-canonical spin-off from his BBC series, 'The Thick Of It', Armando Iannucci's 'In The Loop' is possibly the funniest film I've seen in the last five years. Much like the series, there is a relentless pace to each scene with fouled-mouthed witticism or ludicrous dollop of stupidity following fouled-mouthed witticism or ludicrous dollop of stupidity.

As with the TV show, Malcolm Tucker is the highlight of proceedings. He is a whirlwind of spite and bile, appearing almost out of nowhere to constantly bully every character unlucky enough to get in his way until he can get what he, or at least the people he works for, wants. Capaldi has a ball as Tucker, and clearly relishes his opportunity to kick arse and turn the air blue on a whole new continent.

James Gandolfini, as the anti-war General George Miller, is the other focal point of the film. Finding himself railroaded by ideologues and facing down a major conflict, he gets plenty of laughs, whether conversing with Mimi Kennedy's Assistant Secretary of Diplomacy or confronting Tucker, but also brings a degree of pathos and gravitas to the role that lends a certain amount of weight to his humour. Gandolfini fits very neatly into Iannucci's world, and acts as a nice heroic figure for the majority of the time.

As well as an international cast and setting, the other thing that sets In The Loop apart from its small-screen relative is its scope; the problem facing the Minister is not the failure of the Snooper Squad to find leverage with the P.M., it is whether or not he will be party to a full-scale war. Admittedly there is some small-scale stuff involving Steve Coogan and a wall which feels much closer to the spirit of The Thick Of It, but even that acts in service of the main drive of the plot, which is a satirical look at the behind the scenes finagling that led up to the war in Iraq. This justifies the need for the film to be set outside of the comfort zone of the TV show, but it also made for my one caveat about the whole enterprise, and that would be its conclusion which, even considering the caustic nature of The Thick Of It, is somewhat dark, and it came as something of a shock to me after I'd spent the previous 90 minutes in peals of laughter. I realised that, in amongst all the swear words and jokes about masturbating to shark documentaries, there was a seriousness to what was happening.

This shouldn't be a surprise, though, since it stems from the very nature of the film; if it's to be a true and honest satire of the lead up to the Iraq War, it has to end badly. The elements that the audience are, or at least should be, against must ultimately win out and the 'good' character must be destroyed or betray their own beliefs, all you can say at the end is a simple, ''That's that, then''.

If 'The Thick Of It' was 'Yes, Minister' for the twenty-first century, then at times 'In The Loop' verges on being a Dr. Strangelove for the twenty-first century; it's caustic, dark, incredibly sweary and, up to a point, deliriously funny.
Sostie
CRANK 2: HIGH VOLTAGE
Well as you probably know this time The Stath gets his heart stolen ("Where's me fucking pumper?") and replaced by an artificial one which needs an electrical charge to keep going. It may possibly be one of the most insane films I have ever seen. Highlights include Bai Ling and her sometimes hilarious (subtitled) dialogue, a guy with Full Body Tourettes, the dog collar scene and a shag fest on a racetrack that looks as if it was directed by the ghost of Russ Meyer. Actually it's full of great moments (it's difficult to explain here how shouting "c**t" at someone during a foot chase is actually funny), and that is exactly all the film is - a string of great moments. It's not perfect. It does feel a little rushed in the last 10 minutes or so, and I'm sure it could be argued that it is demeaning to women.

As for the Stath himself, he's perfect. He is Chev Chelios. Arnie had the Terminator, Bruce John McClane and Statham has Chev. Chev is one of cinema's great anti-heroes.

I doubt Crank 2 will gain any converts, but there is enough here to at least satisfy most fans of the first film. Love them or hate them though, one thing that can be said about the Crank films is there is nothing else like them out there. The closest comparison I can think of is perhaps Evil Dead II

More violence, more camera trickery, more laughs, more swearing, more sex, more Stath. What more do you need? REO Speedwagon ballads? You got them too.
logger
2001: A Space Odyssey

The evolution of man beyond the physical plane given preternatural enchantment in the grand daddy of modern sci fi movies. It makes you wonder about Kubrick, most of his films are so clinical yet this and The Shining offer something beyond wretched human experience. Was it hope or just the an examination of the concepts?

QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 24 2009, 10:12 AM) *
Where's me fucking pumper?

Even just reading it makes me lol out loud.
sweetbutinsane
The Blair Witch Project

I was bored but didn't want to watch a new film.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 24 2009, 10:12 AM) *
CRANK 2: HIGH VOLTAGE
Well as you probably know this time The Stath gets his heart stolen ("Where's me fucking pumper?") and replaced by an artificial one which needs an electrical charge to keep going. It may possibly be one of the most insane films I have ever seen. Highlights include Bai Ling and her sometimes hilarious (subtitled) dialogue, a guy with Full Body Tourettes, the dog collar scene and a shag fest on a racetrack that looks as if it was directed by the ghost of Russ Meyer. Actually it's full of great moments (it's difficult to explain here how shouting "c**t" at someone during a foot chase is actually funny), and that is exactly all the film is - a string of great moments. It's not perfect. It does feel a little rushed in the last 10 minutes or so, and I'm sure it could be argued that it is demeaning to women.

As for the Stath himself, he's perfect. He is Chev Chelios. Arnie had the Terminator, Bruce John McClane and Statham has Chev. Chev is one of cinema's great anti-heroes.

I doubt Crank 2 will gain any converts, but there is enough here to at least satisfy most fans of the first film. Love them or hate them though, one thing that can be said about the Crank films is there is nothing else like them out there. The closest comparison I can think of is perhaps Evil Dead II

More violence, more camera trickery, more laughs, more swearing, more sex, more Stath. What more do you need? REO Speedwagon ballads? You got them too.

Very agree!

The action genre can often churn out the most conventional, workmanlike yawnfests (ahem, Michael Bay), so Crank should be treasured and put on as high a pedestal as possible. It's so incredibly weird and never feels the need to explain itself, just to get on with in its own crazy relentless style. It has a WTF? Factor of 9.6 (Geril Halliwel as Chev's mum? 'Chicken and broccoli'? Corey Haim?), but is all the better for it. I would probably say the original is better (more focused and tighter), but it's a perfect sequel in that it expands and builds upon the first film in ways you could never comprehend.

And I'd argue that the men get just as raw a deal as the ladies - burst boob implants and endless titties are one thing, but there's just as much Stath-flesh on show in the racetrack sex scene, and let's not forget shotguns in the arse, a bicycle-ballbag interface and nipple-slicing).
Llama
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Apr 24 2009, 08:01 PM) *
It has a WTF? Factor of 9.6 (Geril Halliwel as Chev's mum? 'Chicken and broccoli'? Corey Haim?), but is all the better for it.

I think I'd disagree there. It just got too odd, seemed weird for the sake of being weird - Tokyo Monster Stath battle?! Whereas in the first one the weirder stuff was enjoyable, I found myself sat with a confused look on my face through the weirder patches of this one rather than a massive grin. I guess it's all down to personal taste, but it was just too OTT for me at times.
fatseff1234
Observe And Report.

Oh, how I laughed.
sweetbutinsane
What Dreams May Come

It was a little silly and weird in places, but I still really enjoyed it and cried so much near the end.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 23 2009, 07:24 PM) *
In The Loop

It was ace. Peter Capaldi is awesome as is his shouty wee friend and fax machine lover. I love to think London is terrorized by foul-mouthed chippy Scotsmen. One of the best comedies I've seen in a while.
curtinparloe
Dragonball: Evolution
Based (I don't know how loosely) on the manga series, it tells the story of Goku, an 18-year old with mystical powers, who has to hunt for 7 dragonballs in order to stop the end of the world. It rips along with plenty of humour, and the action is pretty cool. Chow Yun Fat chews the scenery, but it fits the character quite nicely. I really enjoyed it.

I Love You, Man
Estate agent Pete (Paul Rudd) has no male friends to be his best man, enter Sidney (Jason Segel). It's filmmaking by numbers, but it's adroitly handled, and it's a new take on the romantic comedy. Arguably the best film in 15 years to have Ivan Reitman's name in the credits. Jon Favreau could be the new Colm Meaney.

Observe And Report
Not so much a comedy as a character study of a violent idiot with bipolar disorder who works as a security guard. Although there are some really funny moments, it's best described by a quote from one of the characters - "I thought it was going to be funny, but it was just...sad." It took a really long time to warm to Ronnie (Seth Rogen), although by the end, I had an affection for him. He's a decent guy, but he has serious mental problems.
Omniscia
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Apr 25 2009, 07:37 PM) *
Observe And Report
Not so much a comedy as a character study of a violent idiot with bipolar disorder who works as a security guard. Although there are some really funny moments, it's best described by a quote from one of the characters - "I thought it was going to be funny, but it was just...sad." It took a really long time to warm to Ronnie (Seth Rogen), although by the end, I had an affection for him. He's a decent guy, but he has serious mental problems.

That's marketing for ya...

As for me, I spent a good deal of last night with a couple of films that were similarly sold to me as darkly hilarious romps, yet turned out to be rather bleak and moralistic: In Bruges and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Both were excellent, of course, but I couldn't help but feel more depressed than amused by the end.
maian
Aguirre, Wrath Of God

I wonder if any actor/director team created work more completely perfect than Werner Herzog and Klaus Kinski? Every film they made together seems so infused with energy, passion and madness. In their first collaboration, Kinski stars as Don Lope de Aguirre, a member of a group of conquistadors looking for El Dorado. A small group is sent ahead, and Aguirre starts to take over the expedition.

A study of obsession and madness, it's driven by the twin engines of Herzog's poetic direction and Kinski's creepily sedate performance as Aguirre. Astounding cinema.

Chungking Express

I finally watched it after owning the DVD for about two years. A yearning, heartbreakingly beautiful film about love and longing set against the neon backdrop of a major, bustling city. The handheld style, combined with what seems like lots of on-location shooting, gives it a feeling of claustrophobia that heightens the frisson between the characters. I never liked California Dreamin', but I do now.

Batman and Robin

Hypnotically shit. My housemate turned on the TV and started watching it as a joke, then we both just found ourselves marveling at its colossal awfulness. Completely terrible, but that kind of makes it worth watching; if you ever forget how bad films can be, pop it in.
dandan
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 26 2009, 05:53 PM) *
Chungking Express

I finally watched it after owning the DVD for about two years. A yearning, heartbreakingly beautiful film about love and longing set against the neon backdrop of a major, bustling city. The handheld style, combined with what seems like lots of on-location shooting, gives it a feeling of claustrophobia that heightens the frisson between the characters. I never liked California Dreamin', but I do now.

yeah, it's all location shot, as far as i remember. the kebab shop is on lan kwai fong, which is where a lot of the bars and restaurants that westerners frequent are located. my bro used to work in a restaurant on there - post 97; and here he is, after finishing work and staring at the cop who he thought looked rather relaxed, not clocking that it was tony leung or that he was being filmed by christopher doyle and that he would end up in a wong kar wai film...

maian
QUOTE (dandan @ Apr 26 2009, 06:30 PM) *
yeah, it's all location shot, as far as i remember. the kebab shop is on lan kwai fong, which is where a lot of the bars and restaurants that westerners frequent are located. my bro used to work in a restaurant on there - post 97; and here he is, after finishing work and staring at the cop who he thought looked rather relaxed, not clocking that it was tony leung or that he was being filmed by christopher doyle and that he would end up in a wong kar wai film...

I remembered that you posted that a while ago so once Tony Leung showed up I started looking out for someone who might be your brother. He certainly seemed perplexed by Leung's relaxed demeanour.
sleeping_pirate
Wow that's brilliant! Chungking Express is one of my favourite films ever. Might have to watch it again tonight.
maian
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Still, in my not particularly humble, somewhat self-inflated and egotistical opinion, the best film of 2007.
curtinparloe
Love Chungking Express. WKW made it in 23 days during the gaps between shooting Ashes Of Time.

Crank 2: Hight Voltage
Bad tagline. As Q says, "this story is, frankly, preposterous." They decided to just go mental - I loved the Godzilla sequence, despite it not having any relevance to anything. I didn't like them having an american to play young Chev, although it's hardly a film in which that kind of thing matters!
I laughed my arse off the whole way through. Looking forward to Crank 3: Brain Dead, in which Chev has an artificial brain and has to do thinking every 10 minutes.

Fast And Furious
Fairly inoffensive action movie about some guy and some other guy and a woman and some bad guys and a load of cars. Apparently it's not as good as the second one, but better than the Tokyo one.

Knowing
Nicolas Cage doing his miserable bit in a spooky film about the argument between free will and determinism. I love Alex Proyas movies, so I kind of knew what to expect right from the beginning. What I found unacceptable was about ten minutes from the end, when a weedy little shit rude person sitting in front of me took a phone call, then five minutes later his fat twat mother/girlfriend companion did exactly the same thing. I kicked their chair.
logger
Rollerball

God, the seventies were a golden period for filums. Even a schlocky b-movie like this would turn out to be great socio-political sci fi to justify itself. Not only is it a good sci fi film, it's also one of the best sport films. Sure it's really dated, or maybe they thought people would wear flared, polyester jump suits in the future, and it obviously doesn't have a huge budget but it can be forgiven these things because it has an interesting and involving story. The reason the action sequences work so well is because of the emotional investment we have in the characters, with the actors and director really coming to the fore. I'm not the greatest James Caan fan but he is perfect here as a simple, goofy jock, professional athlete who becomes more and more vulnerable as he finds himself in a situation he doesn't understand.

Strangely, as I watched this I thought it would make for a good remake. I've always avoided to the 2002 version, is it true that they don't even bother with the dystopian future and just focused on the exxxtreme sports angle? And this is the problem, studios are now so concerned with making money that they're actually afraid of making a film that isn't lowest common denominator. The original isn't the greatest film ever made, although a lot of its faults seem to make it all the more endearing, but in the right hands it could have been a sister film to Clockwork Orange. Even in its worst scene it still manages to have Ralph Richardson pop up and work his comedy socks off to save it. Would Ian McKellen have been allowed to appear in Death Race or would it have seemed too gay? The Hollywood film industry is depressing if it can make me rant like this about Rollerball.
Jimmay
Knocked Up

I watched this up until the point that the women turned into completely unreasonable pricks and then I watched something else instead. Great film up until that point.

Big I just watched this for the big keyboard bit for a bit of "I've been there" factor but ended up watching the whole thing. I'd forgotten how creepy some of the scenes are, especially any romance bits in there. The woman in it must have taken the hottest longest shower in history after the end of the film!
monkeyman
Face/Off
Incredibad. I love this film.
Atara
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Apr 27 2009, 10:10 AM) *
Knocked Up

I watched this up until the point that the women turned into completely unreasonable pricks and then I watched something else instead. Great film up until that point.

That annoyed the hell out of me when I went to see it at the cinema. I rewatched for the first time when pregnant and, oddly, it didn't bother me as much.
Shack
Transporter 2

Stupendous car chases and arse kicking fighting. It was pretty ok.
maian
Nid de guÍpes (The Nest) (2002)

French action film that very clearly wants to be Assault On Precinct 13 with a bit of Ocean's Eleven thrown in. Surprisingly enough, it manages it.

The plot revolves around a group of armed police who are escorting an Albanian mafia leader when they are attacked and forced to seek refuge in a nearby warehouse. Coincidentally, the warehouse is being robbed by a group of criminals who then find themselves forced to work with the police in order to survive the night.

There are some major problems with it, mainly to do with the enemies' seeming desire to only attack the warehouse in the most dramatic way possible (e.g. why not use the bulldozer right at the start, rather than when it is most tense to do so?) but other than that, it's a really exciting and well crafted genre film.

Mo' Better Blues (1990)

Good, but like a lot of Spike Lee's films it was too long and a bit poorly paced. They should have reached the crucial event in the first hour then spent more time on the aftermath. Other than that, it was a fun look at the life of a jazz musician (Denzel Washington) and how his obsession with his art impacts upon his relationships with his bandmates (including Blade and Radio Raheem), his two girlrfiends and his family.
constantly bored
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Apr 27 2009, 12:52 AM) *
Love Chungking Express. WKW made it in 23 days during the gaps between shooting Ashes Of Time.

Crank 2: Hight Voltage
Bad tagline. As Q says, "this story is, frankly, preposterous." They decided to just go mental - I loved the Godzilla sequence, despite it not having any relevance to anything. I didn't like them having an american to play young Chev, although it's hardly a film in which that kind of thing matters!
I laughed my arse off the whole way through. Looking forward to Crank 3: Brain Dead, in which Chev has an artificial brain and has to do thinking every 10 minutes.

I'm a little put off after the Collins review of it http://www.wherediditallgoright.com/BLOG/2...04/for-him.html

I've watched nothing lately bar Panorama *whistles* The hospital I used to work in was on there though. Which was nice....
dandan
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 27 2009, 08:15 AM) *
Rollerball

God, the seventies were a golden period for filums. Even a schlocky b-movie like this would turn out to be great socio-political sci fi to justify itself. Not only is it a good sci fi film, it's also one of the best sport films. Sure it's really dated, or maybe they thought people would wear flared, polyester jump suits in the future, and it obviously doesn't have a huge budget but it can be forgiven these things because it has an interesting and involving story. The reason the action sequences work so well is because of the emotional investment we have in the characters, with the actors and director really coming to the fore. I'm not the greatest James Caan fan but he is perfect here as a simple, goofy jock, professional athlete who becomes more and more vulnerable as he finds himself in a situation he doesn't understand.

i love 'rollerball'...
Sostie
MEMORIES OF MATSUKO

Coming from the man that gave us the wonderful embroidery/biker gang movie Kamikazee Girls, I was sort of expecting much of the same - beautiful looking, and kinetic visuals and a huge dollop of weird humour. Sort of got that. Visually it is quite lovely, and there is quite a bit to smile at, but overall it's a heartbreaking little movie.

An aimless youth is asked by his father to clear out the apartment of the murdered aunt, Matsuko, he never knew he had. In the process he learns about his aunt's life - from beautiful schoolteacher to lonely, mentally ill, tramp. Matsuko's life is a very sad one, lightened up only by the occasional song and dance number! The (fantasy) musical sequences are lovely to look at, a combination of Disney and 40's Hollywood (the credits too are also "old Hollywood"). The switch between light and dark helps to emphasise how shitty Matsuko's life became. Without the musical interludes this could easily have turned into a pretty hard going film full of misery. It all ends with a Magnolia-esque sing-a-long.

Beautifully made, wonderfully acted, it's an entertaining, moving, sometimes funny little film, but at it's core is a very very sad story indeed.
dandan
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 28 2009, 11:00 AM) *
MEMORIES OF MATSUKO

indeed, it's like walt disney meets lars von trier...

i loved it; it was in my top films of 2007 list.
maian
Encounters At The End of the World

Werner Herzog travels to Antarctica to meet the people who choose to live at the very edge of the world. Rather than make just a movie about fluffy penguins (unless they're suicidal), Herzog is more interested in the people and the place; what draws them to travel to such a distance and uninhabitable place?

Poetic and philosophical, it's a marvelous piece of work. Some of the footage Herzog uses of creatures living under the ice is otherworldly and haunting.

Johnny Cash's America

Documentary about the life and times of J.R. Cash, particularly focusing on what he stood for and what he represented about America. Superb, made me fall in love with Cash, the man and his music, again.
Zoe
Just to buck the trend, I thought 'Knocked up' was a very good representation of the male and female experience. I thought the women in it were extremely well portrayed, and the male characters were equally flawed - as people are.

It's a really, really good script that understands men and women.
Crutch
QUOTE (Shack @ Apr 27 2009, 11:26 PM) *
Transporter 2

Stupendous car chases and arse kicking fighting. It was pretty ok.

And a hot chick in lingerie! Don't forget her.

Watched a bunch of movie connected to the "mumblecore" movement. They basically look like a student's attempt in filmmaking including some really nice ideas in directing. The concentration on characters and not on any story is really soothing. I quite like most of them. Especially outstanding are The Puffy Chair and Mutual Appreciation.
Sostie
I loved Knocked Up. Amongst other things, it concreted my Rudd Love.

THE BUSINESS
Cockney Jack The Lad (Danny "The Dyer" Dyer) goes to Spain, gets mixed up with some villains and becomes a bit of a drug baron. It's a pretty standard cockernee ganster flick, but I do like Dyer and it did have a great 80's soundtrack, so it was an entertaining watch.
Shack
I think Knocked Up shows men and women up fairly honestly, it's the relationship stuff I thought was just unrealistic and I was very bored during the 2nd half.

On the other hand, Seth Rogen appears to be making progressively worse films. Perhaps his ship has sailed.

Bangkok Dangerous

Some bang, some cock, some inexplicable hair.
curtinparloe
State Of Play
Well written, well acted, a rare treat to see Ben Affleck actually acting.
Makes me want to see the TV series now.
Jimmay
The Thin Red Line

Not what I was expecting at all. I watched it wanting a world war 2 war movie and what I got was a load of existential waffle about human nature from Jesus and the bloke who used to be in Game On. Maybe if I'd been a different mood I would have enjoyed it more but instead I found myself clock watching (as its unfeasibly long) and fast forwarding the last half hour. It was very Apocalypse Now.
blackcherry
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Apr 30 2009, 12:15 AM) *
State Of Play
Well written, well acted, a rare treat to see Ben Affleck actually acting.
Makes me want to see the TV series now.

Oh, I'm glad it's good. I'm currently watching the series then I'm going to watch the film. I was a bit unsure about Affleck as I haven't really seen him acting well and I absolutely love David Morrissey.
Shack
QUOTE (Shack @ Apr 29 2009, 10:21 PM) *
On the other hand, Seth Rogen appears to be making progressively worse films. Perhaps his ship has sailed.

On reflection, I thought that Superbad was better than Knocked Up, so that comment didn't make any sense. And I like Pineapple Express as well. I am less keen on Zack and Miri and the new one that looks like Paul Blart but with more swearing.
logger
I liked him in Monsters Vs Aliens.
Zoe
'Teeth' (2007)

I have absolutely no idea what it was trying to say
Sostie
It could talk as well?
dandan
surely it would need a tongue, as well as teeth, to accomplish such a feat?
Zoe
I set that up for you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.