Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 8 2009, 02:19 PM) *
Your flatmate blows my mind.

The big thing this week was all about her Britney Spears concert tickets for Saturday not showing up. She'd spent 85 on them, only for her to go on Thursday instead for super-cheap 5 tickets, but they then turned up by courier early morning on Saturday upgraded to VIP, but she didn't want to go again, but luckily her friend mentioned them to her hairdresser who wanted to go so she managed to sell them off.

I know! biggrin.gif

Ah, she's alright!
Sostie
The two of you are so going to fall in love.

Opposites really do attract. I saw it in Twilight.
Zoe
Just how VIP was the access?

They might fall in love while watching Twilight.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 8 2009, 02:33 PM) *

Opposites really do attract. I saw it in Twilight.

The sooner her boyfriend gets back the better, from the sound of things. It ain't gonna happen anyway. Our balcony door is jammed so she told me not to open it, but we can when he gets back because he is really strong and will be able to open and close it for us. So she already thinks me weedy.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 8 2009, 02:46 PM) *
Just how VIP was the access?

They might fall in love while watching Twilight.

You know what, I didn't ask. Also, now that The Apprentice is finished, we have zero common TV watching ground, so that saves me from forbidden sofa action. I don't think she watches Big Brother - it was banned in Australia after those guys pinned a lady housemate down and thrust their nutsacks in her face. Though that would still probably be permitted within the ethical guidelines of the Carphone Warehouse.
Zoe
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 8 2009, 02:58 PM) *
Our balcony door is jammed so she told me not to open it, but we can when he gets back because he is really strong and will be able to open and close it for us. So she already thinks me weedy.

D'awwwwww

Prove your manhood, punch her in the face
logger
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 8 2009, 02:33 PM) *

I think they're more of a sitcom style odd couple. Just wait til their crazy friends meet up.
Sostie
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 8 2009, 02:58 PM) *
The sooner her boyfriend gets back the better, from the sound of things.

Her sex toys are a bit loud then?
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 8 2009, 03:32 PM) *
Her sex toys are a bit loud then?

I thought that whirring was an electric toothbrush for late-night dental hygiene!
Sostie
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 8 2009, 12:15 PM) *
I think it's just the first one at cinemas this week and they're releasing part 2 at a later date.

According to Time Out it's both parts cut down to 148 minutes.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 9 2009, 01:18 PM) *
According to Time Out it's both parts cut down to 148 minutes.

Oh...really? Well, I'll still see it at the kinoplex anyway, and seek out the mega-bucks super-long version if I like it.
maian
Pour Elle (Anything For Her)

Exceptional French thriller about a French teacher (Vincent Lindon) whose wife (Diane Kruger) is arrested and imprisoned for a crime which she did not commit. After three years of prison visits with his young son and failed appeal attempts, Julien takes matters into his own hands and tries to concoct a means of getting Lisa out of prison.

This film is tense. Very tense. To give a sense of how tense it is, I had already seen the final ten minutes whilst at work a few days ago and I was on the edge of my seat all the way through, even though I knew how the film was going to end. Fred Cavaye constructs the film so well, placing the emphasis solely on Julien's growing obsession, represented by hundreds of pictures and documents which he sticks to the wall of his bedroom and his decision to sell all the furniture in his house to raise money, rather than on action set-pieces, though he does throw in one with a drug dealer fairly early on to break things up. Julien's status as a normal man with no particular aptitude for violence or crime really sells the enormity of the task ahead of him, and it's very easy to identify with his struggles and setbacks since we know about as much about breaking someone out of jail as he does. It also raises the stakes during the more action-orientated sequences since you know that the last thing Julien wants to do is kill anyone, so there is always a conflict in him even when resorting to murder would be the easiest option.

What really raised the film up, for me, were the performances and the family dynamics. There are some lovely characters moments amidst the tension, ranging from little moments like Julien and his son, Oscar, talking about Oscar's friends at school, or big things like Julien's brother punching a wall in anger after hearing that Lisa's appeal has been rejected, then walking out of the room without saying anything. There's a naturalism to the performances and their interactions that you do not find often in thrillers, and this makes the relationships, be their paternal, fraternal or marital, seem terribly and painfully real and I found myself investing in these characters a lot more than I was expecting.

This investment, more than the plot of itself, was what I really found engaging about the film. I believed in every character in the film and found their motivations and actions had a level of verisimilitude to them that seemed at odds with the expectations raised by the prospect of a thriller. The little moments between a father and a son or a husband and wife are as explosive as a gunshot, and the way in which Cavaye combines the two is remarkable dexterous.

Vincent Lindon is easily the strongest member of the cast, partly because he has the most screentime, but mainly because he is completely convincing as a husband and a father. You really feel his pain and frustration with the system that has taken his wife away from him, and the slightly clumsy and amateurish way he sets about trying to get her back fits the idea of him being someone who is just winging it and trying to figure out how to do something that would be difficult for someone who knows what they are doing. The scenes between Julien, Lisa and Oscar in prison are heartbreaking because there is such a strong sense of familiarity between them, as if they really have known each other for years and are in love. The relationships he has with his brother and father are also well realised, particularly the one with his father, which is shown to be strained and silent and pays off in a big way during one silent exchange of glances two-thirds of the way through the film. The only problem I had with him was the massive bags under his eyes. Anyone that haggard would be picked up at a police checkpoint immediately, regardless of whether they fit any description. He just looks like he has something to hide.

It feels cheap and easy to compare Anything For Her to Tell No-One since they are two recent French thrillers but it is a reasonably good comparison. Both films are pacy, breathless thrillers that have heart and characters that set them apart from the crowd. One of the most engaging, and moving, films I've seen so far this year.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 10 2009, 12:08 AM) *
Pour Elle (Anything For Her)

This I want to see, but I should also probably get round to seeing Tell No One too.

Synecdoche, New York - starts off funny, gets more poignant as it gets weirder, but thankfully never goes too far. There's little need to impress a meaning on to it or ask why because it all makes sense in terms of the mood of the film, even though a narrative explanation wouldn't necessarily. Always interesting and not as self-indulgent as I'd been led to believe. On the Kaufman scale, I preferred it to Adaptation, but think Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine are better.
sweetbutinsane
Good Will Hunting

I got over-excited seeing integration signs and then Bowlby's name on a blackboard; it made me feel clever knowing what they all were.

Anyway, the film was good. smile.gif

Dying to Belong

I was bored, and intrigued to see something with Sarah Chalke in before her Scrubs days.
Zoe
You didn't watch Roseanne?
dandan
in the last few week...

taking manhattan
palindromes
the shootout
kinta
farewell, friend
fancy dance
vice squad 633
sumo do, sumo don't
chicken and duck talk
the wrestler
the counterfeiters
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 10 2009, 08:19 PM) *
You didn't watch Roseanne?

A little before her time, old lady.
maian
Looking For Eric

I'll do a proper review on the blog later. For the moment I'll say that it's dark for a comedy but light-hearted for a Ken Loach film, so anyone going to see it should be aware of the hinterland into which you will be entering. It is very good, though.
Shack
My Name Is Bruce

Bruce Campbell stars as Bruce Campbell in B-movie style spoof where the protector of Bean Curd avenges his release by killing townsfolks and cutting them up nice.

Sort of like The Three Amigos, as Bruce (playing Bruce) must help the town without really realising that it's real. More people get their head cut off in this though.

Good fun.
sweetbutinsane
Stay

I think I get it... but then I think about certain plot points and I'm not sure I do after all.

Other than it messing up my already stressed out little head, it was really good. I absolutely loved the transitions between scenes and they way everything seemed sort of merged together. Also, I liked the part where Sam goes back to the apartment (after the second time he sees the boy lose his balloon) and that same scene sort of repeats and overlaps itself.
Sostie
The X Files: I Want to Believe
Well it doesn't have any of the mystery or excitement of many of the TV episodes. It's competent, looks great, Xzibit scrubs up well and the variation of the theme over the end credits is very good.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Shack @ Jun 14 2009, 11:43 AM) *
Sort of like The Three Amigos, as Bruce (playing Bruce) must help the town without really realising that it's real.

It's a fairly extensive sub-genre, isn't it? Imagine the "Actors In Unbeknownst Peril" boxset: Tropic Thunder, Galaxy Quest, The Three Amigos... any more?
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 15 2009, 09:34 AM) *
The X Files: I Want to Believe
Well it doesn't have any of the mystery or excitement of many of the TV episodes. It's competent, looks great, Xzibit scrubs up well and the variation of the theme over the end credits is very good.

I thought it was pretty plodding and not especially film-worthy, but I couldn't stay mad at seeing Mulder and Scully again (even with the tired sick kid subplot). The last 20 minutes or so are great though (Skinner returning and freaky Frankenstein science = win).

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jun 15 2009, 09:35 AM) *
It's a fairly extensive sub-genre, isn't it? Imagine the "Actors In Unbeknownst Peril" boxset: Tropic Thunder, Galaxy Quest, The Three Amigos... any more?

There must be a dozen horror films with that premise...but they all escape me right about now.
Sostie

The classic After The Fox...kind of
Outatime
I was not impressed by Red Cliff at all. I'm not sure if it was because it was cut down but even then it seemed far too long for me. It may be that the unedited version balances plot and action well but the edited version doesn't. I haven't ever played Dynasty Warriors but apparently watching this film is like watching someone play Dynasty Warriors.
Jimmay
Wanted

Like a cross between Nightwatch and Fight Club with the dialogue, but James MacAvoy was a very poor choice. Even so, it had me grinning like a simpleton despite the twists being so obvious it hurt. Switch your brain off and let it all wash over you.
logger
Evil Dead II

It had been a while.
Kick in the Head
Got three in one Steve Martin DVD set. Already seen The Jerk and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, so watched The Lonely Guy, in which he plays a hapless schmuck (a stretch) who gets dumped and tries to figure out how to survive being a 'lonely guy' with fellow dumpee Charles Grodin. It's a lot sillier than I was expecting, but not quite as gloriously silly as the other two titles in the set or The Man With Two Brains. As a result, it's a bit low-key. A few good laughs and an agreeable watch, but not one of his greats.
Shack

If I didn't already own two of those films, I would buy that boxset.

The "Actors In Unbeknownst Peril" title also shrinks to AIUP, which I will say in the "ey up" style of a true northern man.
maian
I caught the last hour of Secondhand Lions on Film4 the other day. It's a lot better than it has any right to be. It reminded me an awful lot of 'Holes'.
logger
Vanishing Point

The Sky Movies version has the Charlotte Rampling section reincluded, something my dvd does not.
whitey
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 15 2009, 04:25 PM) *
Got three in one Steve Martin DVD set. Already seen The Jerk and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, so watched The Lonely Guy, in which he plays a hapless schmuck (a stretch) who gets dumped and tries to figure out how to survive being a 'lonely guy' with fellow dumpee Charles Grodin. It's a lot sillier than I was expecting, but not quite as gloriously silly as the other two titles in the set or The Man With Two Brains. As a result, it's a bit low-key. A few good laughs and an agreeable watch, but not one of his greats.

Grodin fairly steals the film, I thought.
mousespider
QUOTE (whitey @ Jun 17 2009, 12:47 AM) *
Grodin fairly steals the film, I thought.

When doesn't he? He steals So I Married An Axe Murderer, and he's only in it for less than five minutes.
whitey
QUOTE (mousespider @ Jun 17 2009, 06:24 AM) *
When doesn't he? He steals So I Married An Axe Murderer, and he's only in it for less than five minutes.

It's definitely between him and Steven Wright in that one.
dandan
driving miss wealthy
manon des sources
burning sensation
play catch
the yakuza
Zoe
I'm going to see 'An American Werewolf in London' next Friday night

*** JOHN LANDIS WILL ATTEND THE EVENT!!!! ***

That's right! The man himself will be at Curzon Soho, signing the new book 'John Landis' by Giulia D'Agnolo Vallan from 10.00pm.

A tribute to our friend John Landis, who brought us the 'Thriller' video, The Blues Brothers, Animal House and this classic gem: 'AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON'. Filmed around the corner from us too! Enjoy it on the big screen, but join us in our themed 'Slaughtered Lamb' bar beforehand for live music and a free drink courtesy of Taboo (whilst stocks last).

Then John will be in conversation with horror expert, writer and Empire Magazine critic Kim Newman before the screening of the ultimate horror comedy.

And we expect you all to adhere to the DRESS CODE: Wolvish, Backpacker, Nurse...You will be rewarded!

Still tickets left at a bargain 12 I believe.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 17 2009, 09:55 AM) *
I'm going to see 'An American Werewolf in London' next Friday night

Still tickets left at a bargain 12 I believe.

I saw that advertised and was tempted, and the bonus of drinks, music, Landis AND Newman is not to be sniffed at, but I feel I've just seen An American Werewolf... and John Landis talking about An American Werewolf... a few too many times to really get much out of it.

Also Glastonbury.
Zoe
Isn't Glastonbury this weekend?

I've never seen 'An American Werewolf in London'
Sostie
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

Things I liked about it:
Amy Adams doing Jennifer Jason Leigh doing Katherine Hepburn. Sexy. Sassy. Saxy
Amy Adams' trousers
Amy Adams in glasses
Bill Hader as Custer
Steve Coogan sort of repeating the tyre gag from the first film, and it still making me laugh
Coogan and Wilson having a 300 moment (and some nearly-Bareback Mountain ones)
One of my favourite sculptures brought to life - a Jeff Koons balloon dog.
Hank Azaria over-the-top goodness.

Things I didn't like:
Nothing I can think of actually. My niece and nephew enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. Good family entertainment.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 17 2009, 10:53 AM) *
Isn't Glastonbury this weekend?

Next weekend.

Then go you must!

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 17 2009, 11:15 AM) *
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

Things I liked about it:
Amy Adams doing Jennifer Jason Leigh doing Katherine Hepburn. Sexy. Sassy. Saxy
Amy Adams' trousers
Amy Adams in glasses
Bill Hader as Custer
Steve Coogan sort of repeating the tyre gag from the first film, and it still making me laugh
Coogan and Wilson having a 300 moment (and some nearly-Bareback Mountain ones)
One of my favourite sculptures brought to life - a Jeff Koons balloon dog.
Hank Azaria over-the-top goodness.

Things I didn't like:
Nothing I can think of actually. My niece and nephew enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. Good family entertainment.

No Stiller-love though? Doing the same schtick over and over making his silly face, acting crestfallen and doing his "baby wanna bottle?" routine? Haven't seen it, but assume that's all he does.
Zoe
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 17 2009, 11:25 AM) *
Next weekend.

Really? Then why is everyone talking about it so much already? Jeez. 6Music will be unbearable by this time next week.
Sostie
No Stiller-love though? Doing the same schtick over and over making his silly face, acting crestfallen and doing his "baby wanna bottle?" routine? Haven't seen it, but assume that's all he does.

But no Stiller hate either. He does what he does, and it works in the film.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 17 2009, 11:34 AM) *
Really? Then why is everyone talking about it so much already? Jeez. 6Music will be unbearable by this time next week.

They do harp on about it, don't they? It's great and all, but I actually only find myself watching festival highlights if I've actually been there in the (extremely) vain hope of seeing my head bobbing in a sea of hats and haircuts.

QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 17 2009, 11:36 AM) *
But no Stiller hate either. He does what he does, and it works in the film.

Fair enough. I think I'm becoming more of a Jerry Stiller fan though.
logger

I watched an episode of Larry Sanders with him in and he was doing the same schtick there. You left out him losing his temper though.
maian
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 17 2009, 11:48 AM) *
They do harp on about it, don't they? It's great and all, but I actually only find myself watching festival highlights if I've actually been there in the (extremely) vain hope of seeing my head bobbing in a sea of hats and haircuts.

Same here. I kind of wish that the one time I did turn up on the footage it wasn't whilst I was wearing a straw hat. It's not a good look.
whitey
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 17 2009, 10:53 AM) *

What have you been doing?
Zoe
I was waiting for a midnight showing with John Landis in attendance
melzilla
Looking for Eric

I was looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint. Funny, sweet, honest and charming, with an excellent dash of surreal. It kind of reminded me of Lars and the Real Girl actually.
whitey
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 17 2009, 08:45 PM) *
I was waiting for a midnight showing with John Landis in attendance

Sorry, I spoke without thinking.
sweetbutinsane
Tristan and Isolde

T'was alright. I don't really have a strong opinion about it.
maian
The Hangover

Rude, crude and very, very funny. Really liked the reference to The Wire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.