Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
logger
Midnight Run

Wasn't planning on it but ended up watching the whole film. 'Sfunny.
Starscream`s Ghost
It'd be a crime not to. Probably the sweariest movie ever?
omni
The original Taking of Pelham 123.

Great film. It was a real treat to see the subway stop I get off at every morning circa 1973. Shaw and Matthau were grand.
Atara
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Was good, looked pretty. I went in expecting it to belike the first so the humans did not irritate me so much, infact i found it quite amusing at parts. It was maybe a tad overlong, just 15 minutes trimmed off would have made me a bit more comfortable and if they had maybe decided against one awful, cheese moment near the end.

Worth a watch though, instantly better than the first and it nearly made me shed a wee tear.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (omni @ Jun 19 2009, 05:02 PM) *
The original Taking of Pelham 123.

Great film. It was a real treat to see the subway stop I get off at every morning circa 1973. Shaw and Matthau were grand.

I love this film. It use to be my 'flu movie'. When I had it, I'd watch it. Haven't seen it in a long time but I will again. All performances are great - Shaw, Matthau, Balsam, Elizondo and everyone. I miss actors like that. They only seem to pop up in Deadwood.

I love the sneeze at the end. Best face ever.
logger
Charlie Wilson's War

Simple and entertaining account of the US's involvement in the Afghan/Soviet war told in a Ron Howard-esque way for people who possibly wouldn't have much knowledge of it. It's decent enough, the actors are all as solid as you would expect them to be but the inclusion of Ned Beatty reminds you that it could have been just as simple, more entertaining and a hell of a lot more poetic than it is and then it could have been an important work on a par with Network.

Even though she did very little I really liked Julia Roberts in this. This should be the most important point in her career so far, it's just a pity that women over 40 never do anything interesting, certainly nothing anybody would want to see a film about, so any great roles will probably be few and far between. On the bright side, that does mean more parts for dildos like Megan Fox and co.

Mamma Mia!

The actors are great, the choreography is decent and it has a nice energy but the script is shoddy, it looks cheap and the songs are really unimpressive interpretations of the so-so originals. OK, I suppose.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Martyrs (2008)

Pretty grim, but at least it has a point of sorts.
Shack
Role Models

Much much better than I'd been led to believe. A return to form for Seann William Scott and a very funny turn from Paul Rudd. Some good laugh out loud moments even though I watched it alone.

Has Seann William Scott ever made a bad film?

A visit to the IMDB listing would suggest yes. But also, on some level, no.
monkeyman
I really enjoyed that as well.

Transformers 2 was bitching except for lame death/heaven bit with la beef
sweetbutinsane
Sweet Home Alabama

Meh.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Atara @ Jun 19 2009, 11:54 PM) *
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Was good, looked pretty. I went in expecting it to belike the first so the humans did not irritate me so much, infact i found it quite amusing at parts. It was maybe a tad overlong, just 15 minutes trimmed off would have made me a bit more comfortable and if they had maybe decided against one awful, cheese moment near the end.

Worth a watch though, instantly better than the first and it nearly made me shed a wee tear.

What kind of percentage of the runtime were robots actually on screen for?

In the first one, they barely seemed to be in it at all. And even when they were, they were being all slapstick and treading on lawns/"pissing" on people.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 20 2009, 03:24 PM) *
I really enjoyed that as well.

Transformers 2 was bitching except for lame death/heaven bit with la beef

This is true.

Robots per screentime was good, and the robot slapstick was actually funny this time round.

I think the appearance of the Decepticons was better in the first film though, destruction of the army base and all.
Atara
The robot screen time is much greater, helped by the sheer volume of them in it.
Starscream`s Ghost
I'll write a better review tomorrow, but on the whole, I loved it.
GundamGuy_UK
Oddly, my Transformers-obsessed friend (he rivals you, Glenn), hated it.

He adored the first one, I think he saw it 9 times at the cinema. He's been a fan of Transformers since before the G1 cartoon started, and has dozens of the toys. But he was checking his watch and wanting this new one to end.
Starscream`s Ghost
At least he agrees with the critics, I suppose. But most of their criticisms seem to be 'we hate Bay'- orientated. Which doesn't surprise me at all, really.
monkeyman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jun 20 2009, 10:58 PM) *
Oddly, my Transformers-obsessed friend (he rivals you, Glenn), hated it.

He adored the first one, I think he saw it 9 times at the cinema. He's been a fan of Transformers since before the G1 cartoon started, and has dozens of the toys. But he was checking his watch and wanting this new one to end.

Your friend is crazy if he thinks the first is better than the sequel. It has awesome fights and plenty of robot screen time.
GundamGuy_UK
He thought the action was unengaging, the robots were all too samey (a complaint I had about the first one), and that the comedy was stupid.

He is extremely critical of CGI action though, and American comedy. I'm just surprised he hated it, given how much he loves the first one.
whitey
Wolverine

Dumb as fuck. Best bit was when he got shot in the memory.
KevinandNick
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Nick & I got together yesterday and we decided to watch this.

Putting it bluntly, it's fucking terrible. The first one was entertaining, but this seems to take everything that the kids liked from the original and ramp it up to absurd proportions - think of this as being like The Mummy Returns school of sequel-making. Boxes were checked and elements were included and the result is more like an assembly of parts decided by a committee than a proper movie.

There are numerous infantile comedy Transformers, coupled with some truly mind-numbing action scenes and a climax that you will want to hurry along, as you can feel your fingernails growing.

As a friend of ours happened to say after it was over - "that was the worst tentpole movie ever made" - I couldn't put it better myself.

Avoid at all costs.

Kev W
fatseff1234
I liked The Mummy Returns...
Atara
I liked Transformers 2....and The Mummy Returns
maian
Some good films on the plane:

In The Loop

Still terrifically funny and scabrous.

Coraline

Watched this twice. I enjoyed it a lot more than when I saw it at the cinema, probably because there weren't any talking teenagers.
PrincessKate
I forgot - last week as I was being cooked dinner by a friend (which, on an unrelated note, took FOUR HOURS for meatballs and a coffee pudding which we didn't get to eat, and is the reason you shouldn't use a DS to make meals) I finally got round to seeing Young Frankenstein and The Princess Bride - both of which I thoroughly enjoyed, and can finally understand what all the fuss is about.
Then this afternoon I watched 10 Things I Hate About You, still tops.
Outatime
I like my DS for cooking dinner but you need to read the instructions before starting out, I've had a couple of mishaps not doing that.

I keep meaning to buy 10 Things I Hate About You on DVD, and you've reminded me that I should have watched The Princess Bride yesterday while ironing but I didn't, I watched Grosse Point Blank which is always a good option.
PrincessKate
10 things is usually 3 on play.com and the like, truly bargainous.
Outatime
I've got a scary credit card bill headed my way so I can't afford to buy anything frivolous at the moment sad.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Jun 21 2009, 06:45 AM) *
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Boxes were checked and elements were included and the result is more like an assembly of parts decided by a committee than a proper movie.

Well, it was, sort of. Hasbro

Personally (and yes, I know I'm biased), I thought it was excellent. No, the plot wasn't Oscar-worthy. But as a Transformers movie, as an action movie, it delivered on all counts. There were more robots, they weren't as 'samey' as in the first, and there were very few characters in this that didn't drive the plot along in some way. The fight scenes in particular were awesome; no longer did we just see a leg or arm, with more of the action occuring off-screen. This time, we got to see pretty much everything.

And even though he died (because he seems to be contractually obliged to in every continuity), my God did Prime kick some serious skidplate in this movie.
monkeyman
Agreed with Glenn completely, the fighting was much much better in this, particularly Optimus The "I'll take you all on!" moment in particularl was awesome.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jun 21 2009, 11:00 PM) *
Agreed with Glenn completely, the fighting was much much better in this, particularly Optimus The "I'll take you all on!" moment in particularl was awesome.

And he so fucking did. Just proving that he was supposed to be holding back in the first movie so as not to harm civilians, as I'd said all along. Also: Bumblebee. He was quite impressive, especially in the visceral way he despatched of Ravage.
Astrid
One of the things I loved about Transformers was the pace in which they had the fights. I found in the first movie that parts were so quick it was giving me a sore head (I know people who felt the same way). I enjoyed getting to 'see' the action this time round. I went in thinking that it wasn't going to be as good as the first so was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I was praying it wasn't going to be a 'Wolverine'.
Ax
logger
Dumb And Dumber

It was funnier on drugs.

Rost In Tlansration

The comedy is horrible, the dialogue is quite sophomoric at times, it wears its influences far too obviously on its sleeve and it treads dangerous ground between hipster douchebag movies and their bastard cousin, the college graduate douchebag movie but for all its flaws it really does have a nice energy to it. I think it convincingly captures a moment in the characters' lives.

Whilst I'm convinced that Coppola isn't a very good writer, I'm still not sure whether she is a talented director or if she's surrounded by talented people just because of her position. If it's the former then it's a shame as nepotism has probably held her back by giving her opportunity before she's ready, if it's the latter then at least she's opened up a style of film making to people who may not have liked it otherwise.

The film still makes her come across as a bit of a bitch, though.

QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Jun 21 2009, 10:32 PM) *
Well, it was, sort of. Hasbro

I've not seen 2 and I'm not really bothered about it but one of the criticisms of the first film that annoyed me was people calling it a toy advert. One of the first things you see are the words "In association with Hasbro". What were people expecting?
dandan
night at the museum : battle of the smithsonian
night at the museum
germinal
the protector
Friday, June 19, 2009
my scary girl
anvil! the story of anvil
to hell with the devil
plain jane to the rescue
Sostie
QUOTE (dandan @ Jun 22 2009, 08:54 AM) *
night at the museum : battle of the smithsonian
night at the museum

I'd be interested in the dandan opinion of these.

Knowing
Had some good story elements and some well mounted disaster sequences, but got a bit silly towards the end. It was alright.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 22 2009, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE (dandan)
good stuff...
maian
Strangers With Candy (2005)

A perfect example of a film having the same number of laughs as an episode of the TV series, but spread over an hour and a half so it seems weaker. Tamer than the show, it's got a much slower pace and it spends too much time on a plot that they could have done on the show very easily. However, Amy Sedaris is still charmingly repellent as Jerri Blank, Stephen Colbert has the ''asshole repressed homosexual'' character down and Greg Holliman still steals every scene he's in as Principal Onyx Blackman.

I think my biggest problem with it would be that in their attempt to make it look more cinematic they ended up making it much grimier than the show, and the bright, shiny look of the TV show was one of its biggest charms, for me, so without that it doesn't feel like Strangers With Candy should, and much of the satire is lost if it doesn't look like an after school special.

It's good, but not up to the already high benchmark that they had set for themselves with the TV series.

The cameos in this film are amazing, though. The moment when Allison Janney and Philip Seymour Hoffman showed up was a delightful shock.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Jun 21 2009, 11:03 PM) *
And he so fucking did. Just proving that he was supposed to be holding back in the first movie so as not to harm civilians, as I'd said all along. Also: Bumblebee. He was quite impressive, especially in the visceral way he despatched of Ravage.

Optimus kicked all kinds of ass. And even though I know you're sort of supposed to, I love Bumblebee, he was just great to watch and his Ravage fatality was brutal amd awesome
sweetbutinsane
Terminator Salvation

'Twas alright. Nothing particularly earth shattering, and the script was kind of cheesy in places, but the film was enjoyable all the same.

The ending was a bit silly.
dandan
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jun 22 2009, 10:47 AM) *

and, hopefully, in the near future, you'll get a full one. but, for now, i will merely say that they were good fun...

also watched...

a bloody fight
the girlfriend experience
30 days of night
lucie aubrac
Astrid
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Jun 22 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Terminator Salvation

'Twas alright. Nothing particularly earth shattering, and the script was kind of cheesy in places, but the film was enjoyable all the same.

The ending was a bit silly.

I really liked Sam Worthington though. Thought he rocked and looked forward to seeing him in The Clash of the Titans.

Ax
maian
Up

[insert hyperbolic and gushing review in which I say that it is far and away the best film I've seen all year here]*

Loved it loved it loved it loved. Beautiful animation, great characters and a moving story (I could really see the influence of Thomas McCarthy in its structure). I cried more in the opening 15 minutes and final 15 than I have at any other film. Splendid and lovely in every way.

The short that accompanied it was also terrific, quite possibly the cutest thing ever made.

*Alternate pithy review: Gran Torino but with a flying house.
NiteFall
So pretty much the same as every other Pixar film then? wink.gif
maian
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jun 22 2009, 08:43 PM) *
So pretty much the same as every other Pixar film then? wink.gif

Yeah. Another slice of brilliance? Boring. Couldn't they do some formulaic shit with wise-cracking animals for a change? Surely DreamWorks has some undeveloped scripts that they could give them.
Ade
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Jun 21 2009, 10:32 PM) *
This time, we got to see pretty much everything.

You'll get Patrick Stewart's hopes up with talk like that.
monkeyman
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 22 2009, 08:46 PM) *
Yeah. Another slice of brilliance? Boring. Couldn't they do some formulaic shit with wise-cracking animals for a change? Surely DreamWorks has some undeveloped scripts that they could give them.

Pixar really are great, I'm really looking forward to Toy Story 3. I'm quite interested in Up now as well...

QUOTE (Ade @ Jun 22 2009, 09:43 PM) *
You'll get Patrick Stewart's hopes up with talk like that.

laugh.gif Brilliant
curtinparloe
Transformers Again
Way too long. Adverts should be 30 seconds laugh.gif
I just didn't like hyperbolic humour, which put me off right from the moment Sam's mum got stoned and rugby tackled that guy crazy4.gif

Adventures In Babysitting (aka A Night On the Town)
Elisabeth Shue as a playboy model/girl next door.
Albert Collins chewing the scenery.
Vincent D'Onofrio as Thor.
What more could anyone ask?
logger
...And Justice For All

Al Pacino plays a maverick lawyer struggling against the bureaucracy, politics and ethics of the Baltimore legal system. It's not great but is from Pacino's best period, and a time where not only did they make films like this but also gave them light funk soundtracks. It is still a hell of a lot better than the majority of his post Scarface career.

One of the main problems is that the script just isn't good enough, where someone like Billy Wilder was a genius at mixing very dark social satire with screwball comedy, here the writers (Barry Levinson and Valerie Curtin) aren't quite up to it leaving a lot of the dialogue either too simplistic (Pacino telling the ethics committee that they suck) or is just plain exposition. The simplistic script also lunges schizophrenically from drama to outright slapstick taking the film beyond the examination of the insanity of the legal system that they were going for leaving you wondering if it was a lack of ability or a lack of faith in the audience.

It's still enjoyable enough in a diverting kind of way. There are some genuinely funny moments with Jack Warden, Jeffrey Tambor and Dominic Chianese all providing great support. Pacino is as solid as you would expect from him in the seventies, although it is interesting to see that even when playing broad comedy he doesn't eat the scenery as much as he does now playing serious roles. And even though you know what's coming in the climactic trial scene it still wins you over with Pacino's outrageous delivery of a great speech.

A reasonable enough 7/10.
Sostie
LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT
I've had the original on my DVD pile to watch for years now, but never seemed to find myself in the mood to watch it, so comparisons to this remake can't be made.
This is a very well made and acted film combining two of my favourite subjects - nutters in the wilderness and vengeance. It's not an easy ride. The violence & gore is "real" - a horrible rape scene, casual stabbings, sewing of wounds etc - and perhaps the film is a little let down by an act of violence at the end which is out of character with the rest of the film. But it is a crowd pleaser.
At the end I knew I'd seen a nasty exploitation film, but it's so well made and performed I didn't feel as if I had. As horror remakes go it's more Hills Have Eyes than The Fog.
KevinandNick
I purposefully don't watch horror remakes - the only one I have seen was the Godawful Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the only reason I saw that was for the purposes of writing a magazine article on remakes.

I have no intention of watching the Last House remake, as I am perfectly happy with the original.

Oh, and I've already said it in this forum, but I'll say it again anyway - Transformers: RotF was absolute bollocks. wink.gif

Kev W
Sostie
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Jun 23 2009, 10:36 AM) *
I purposefully don't watch horror remakes - the only one I have seen was the Godawful Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the only reason I saw that was for the purposes of writing a magazine article on remakes.

It's your loss. Hills Have Eyes, The Blob and The Fly are so much better than the original. There has never (IMO) been a terrible version of Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers. Even Halloween was interesting. There may be some crap, but there's some good stuff to be seen as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.