Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
dandan
iron man
sun, moon and star - parts one and two
religulous
persepolis (in french, this time)
watchmen - the director's cut
PrincessKate
QUOTE (dandan @ Jul 3 2009, 04:31 PM) *
religulous

What did you think of it? Particularly the last fifth?
melzilla
Public Enemies.

Thoroughly enjoyable, well directed and well-paced, with good performances all round. I didn't feel it was at all heavy-handed, in fact, although some scenes were quite violent and brutal, I thought the film was, in many ways, subtle and understated throughout, giving it great balance. The particular cinema scene mentioned by Outatime, I felt, was quite a clever vehicle used to reflect his character and thoughts, and quite touchingly implying how relevant and popular Dillinger was at the time and how he was practically a fictional character or legend in his seeming untouchability and notoriety.
Good stuff.
dandan
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Jul 3 2009, 07:45 PM) *
What did you think of it? Particularly the last fifth?

it confirmed to me what i've always thought - bill maher is an ass. considering i pretty much agree with his stance, i thought it was a pretty dreadful film, with him only wanting to hear his own voice and subject his own views on to others, rather than having any kind of reasoned debate / discussion. when people challenged him or refused to be shouted down, he simply walked away. it's a real shame, because he got access to some interesting characters...

it's not a film i would recommend to people...
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (dandan @ Jul 3 2009, 09:44 PM) *
it confirmed to me what i've always thought - bill maher is an ass. considering i pretty much agree with his stance, i thought it was a pretty dreadful film, with him only wanting to hear his own voice and subject his own views on to others, rather than having any kind of reasoned debate / discussion. when people challenged him or refused to be shouted down, he simply walked away. it's a real shame, because he got access to some interesting characters...

Maher is such a jerk. Especially adding comedy stock footage and subtitles after the effect because his arguments pretty much boil down to "Yeah, but religion is stupid and you're stupid!". And that it barely touches on anything other than Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

I still kind of enjoyed watching it, but mainly through just seeing how beligirent Maher would become. Sometimes his diatribes are on the money, but often countered by being smug. The fact that he's the worst thing in Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death should be fair indication of how useless Maher is.
logger
Shane

The conflict between the id and the super-ego told as western parable as Alan Ladd battles between being a good man and a bad motherfucker.

Apart from being terribly dated it's otherwise relatively faultless and thoroughly deserving of its place amongst the definitive westerns.
maian
Public Enemies

Public Enemies was never meant to be a film. It was originally set to be made at HBO as a mini-series, and if my viewing of it told me nothing else,it's that television would have been a much more natural fit for the story of John Dillinger's last year. It is very episodic in nature, with no real throughline to connect them other than, obviously, Dillinger himself. There is just so much that could be done with this story that, even at two hour, twenty minutes, the film winds up feeling truncated.

To his credit, Michael Mann does try to cover a lot of ground in what time he has; we get a glimpse into the birthing pains of the FBI, the megalomania of J. Edgar Hoover (played with relish by Billy Crudup, sporting the broadest of 1930s announcer voices) and the creation of a surveillance society. These fascinating ideas, though, are ultimately only mentioned in passing and are never explored. Similarly, there is no sense of the economic turmoil that America was going through at the time, and therefore little context for why Dillinger would be consider such a folk hero.

The greatest victim of the film's attempts to encompass so much is the character of Melvin Purvis, played ably by Christian Bale. I say 'ably' and this should not be considered a slight against Bale; he's not fantastic because the part he has been given is not fantastic. Purvis could be an obsessive trying to get his man, or a conflicted good 'ol boy struggling to contend with his more violent colleagues, but there is so little scope for his development in the film that he winds up being a two-dimensional good cop.

Contrasted with Purvis is Dillinger, who is given ample room to play around in. In his depiction of Dillinger, Johnny Depp, as well as Michael Mann and his co-writers, Ann Biderman and Ronan Bennett, do something very interesting. Instead of romanticising and mythologising Dillinger, the film-makers choose to portray him as a cold, efficient and ultimately bad man. Sure, he's charming and has a certain amount of wit to him, but the film suggests that this was all for the cameras and the public, that Dillinger was putting on an act in order to curry public favour. It's there in his assertion that he cares what the public thinks of him, in his declarations that he's ''here for the bank's money'', not that of its customers (even though it's all the same money) and in his decision to visit the office of the very people trying to catch him.

Even the look of the film serves to underline this un-romantic view of Dillinger. Rather than shoot the film in a nostalgic way, Mann shoots the film in an incredibly modern style, using digital cameras and an almost entirely hand-held technique, making for a nice contrast between the period trappings and the urgency of this technique. The film has a verite feel to it, one which is exemplified by its fast and loose action sequences. I was particularly impressed by the way in which bullets were used in the film. The lack of music in most of the shoot outs made each of the impacts sound especially loud and the sound design for each impact made them feel much more powerful and intimate.

The only flaw in this depiction is the way in which the film portrays Dillinger's relationship with Billie Frechette (the luminous Marion Cotillard). Their relationship is overly sentimental and is at odds with the tone of the rest of the film, which is resolutely hard-edged in its notions of Dillinger and what he represented. I'm not saying that this element of the film is sub-par, it does make for a nice change from the bank heists, shoot outs and prison escapes that make up much of the film, just that it was an element that stood out from the rest of the film.

It's an impressive feat in terms of what you can do with digital film-making and as an example of what can be done with period films to make them feel fresh and relevant, but its too compressed in its ideas and this causes the whole to suffer. Add four hours and divide it into 6 parts and it could have been something really special, as it is its an above average gangster film, but with the pedigree of those involved it should have been so much more.
Atara
Digital film makes me a bit sad.
PrincessKate

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jul 3 2009, 11:53 PM) *
Maher is such a jerk. Especially adding comedy stock footage and subtitles after the effect because his arguments pretty much boil down to "Yeah, but religion is stupid and you're stupid!". And that it barely touches on anything other than Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

I still kind of enjoyed watching it, but mainly through just seeing how beligirent Maher would become. Sometimes his diatribes are on the money, but often countered by being smug. The fact that he's the worst thing in Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death should be fair indication of how useless Maher is.

Interesting, I did really enjoy the film for the first 4/5ths but definitely felt some of the subjects were hard done by - the Habibi Ana guys and the Dutch Muslim MP in particular. Now that I think of it, you're right aabout his arrogance and singlemindedness. Still, The Holy Land Experience looks brilliantly surreal - "I'll be on my white horse!" indeed
And that English musician guy was a cock.
logger
Sex & The City

Whilst it's good to see a film about women who care for each other be hugely successful and out do a lot of empty CGI blockbusters, it still has a lot to be derided for. I'm not going to go into detail about what's wrong with it, it's all been said a million times before, simply it's pretty much everything that went wrong with the tv show is here and none of the stuff from when it was great. It would have been nice to have dialogue of the quality of the tv show when it was still a sitcom. The most telling line of the movie is, "Will I ever laugh again?". Whereas lines like,

"Threesomes, they're the blow job of the nineties."

"What was the blow job of the eighties?"

"Anal."

were sorely missing.

Who wants to remember them like this.
Kick in the Head
W. - unexceptional Bush biopic buoyed by a good lead performance from Josh Brolin. Mostly unbelievable that anything actually took place in real life quite how it's portrayed in the film, but it does have it's moments and might have been more successful focusing on either his early days or his administration and not try to and fail to satisfyingly cover both.

Coraline - nice but dull. A couple of creepy moments and some vivid and interesting design failed to make up for some very oddly paced scenes and a general lack of understanding the flow of narrative or dialogue. Not quite sure I'm describing it right, but so many scenes fell flat with misjudged pauses, non-sequitur reactions and garbled motivation. Not bad per se, but strangely lifeless and unengaging.
logger
The Shining (The Extended Version)

This was the version I first saw and became accustomed to after I taped it from the tv. Why ITV were broadcasting this version in the late 80s/ early 90s, or why this version seemed to disappear, I don't know. For me this is the better version, more tense, more build up, more horror. I wish I had this version on dvd now instead of the normal theatrical release.
Outatime
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jul 5 2009, 05:48 PM) *
Coraline - nice but dull. A couple of creepy moments and some vivid and interesting design failed to make up for some very oddly paced scenes and a general lack of understanding the flow of narrative or dialogue. Not quite sure I'm describing it right, but so many scenes fell flat with misjudged pauses, non-sequitur reactions and garbled motivation. Not bad per se, but strangely lifeless and unengaging.

The book scared me silly, I can't believe it's aimed at children, apparently it doesn't scare them.
Sostie
it confirmed to me what i've always thought - bill maher is an ass.

I've had this to watch for few months now, but for the reason above, I haven't bothered.

The Bank Job
Good old fashioned cockernee capers. Stands up well to repeated viewings.

Tenacious D & The Pick Of Destiny
Just as crap as it was first time I saw it
Jimmay
Weekend of W

Welcome to the Jungle

I wish "The Rock", as he was still known back then, would make more action films like this. It's exactly what you want from an action film, plus he does s flying clothesline on a concrete pillar and only gives his arm a bit of a rub afterwards. Legend.

Wall-E

Lovely film, if a little bit preachy at the end but part of me is glad that it is to try and get through to da kids. And, not for the normal reasons I say this, but the end credits were one of the best bits. Unfortunately I now have to wipe the cute off my dvd player and the carpet as it spilled out everywhere while watching it.
Kick in the Head
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

"Cleaning woman? CLEANING WOMAN?! CLEANING WOMAN!!!"
Zoe
Somers Town (2008)

Lovely and filmed right next to work. Though it's a bit different looking down at St Pancras from the top of Kings Place than from Phoenix Court. The regeneration thing blows my mind a bit.

Reminded me how much I want to get the Eurostar to Belgium.

Spaced-out in Bruges anyone?
maian
But Bruges is a fucking shithole.

(I would quite like to go, actually. It's weird how In Bruges makes it seem so fascinating even though it spends its running time disparaging it).
Julie
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 6 2009, 10:25 AM) *

SOIB in a heartbeat.
melzilla
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 5 2009, 01:14 AM) *
Public Enemies

Public Enemies was never meant to be a film. It was originally set to be made at HBO as a mini-series, and if my viewing of it told me nothing else,it's that television would have been a much more natural fit for the story of John Dillinger's last year. It is very episodic in nature, with no real throughline to connect them other than, obviously, Dillinger himself. There is just so much that could be done with this story that, even at two hour, twenty minutes, the film winds up feeling truncated.

To his credit, Michael Mann does try to cover a lot of ground in what time he has

I do agree with this, but pretty much expect this when trying to cram the story of someone's life into any film. Especially one as significant and interesting as Dillinger's. I definitely think it was a difficult task, which I feel Mann did surprisingly well. I agree that I would have welcomed certain characters and issues to have been explored further, but within the restraints of the film I think the main events, players and themes were conveyed admirably. I think a film which might make those who are interested want to know more and delve deeper into a real-life story perhaps isn't such a bad thing.
Zoe
QUOTE (maian @ Jul 6 2009, 03:35 PM) *
But Bruges is a fucking shithole.

It's like a fucking fairy tale!

QUOTE (Julie @ Jul 6 2009, 03:37 PM) *
SOIB in a heartbeat.

Let's do it.

If we cut the 'i' the acronym can be S.O.B, which is funny because I've always been considered something of an asshole, that's just my style.
Outatime
Bruges is lovely but not very big. Either that or I missed a lot.
Kick in the Head
I want to go to Bruges! They've got a new 'frites' museum.
Outatime
We didn't go there, we considered it but decided against it.
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 6 2009, 03:25 PM) *

Wasn't this idea toyed with earlier in the year? Or am I thinking about the Plastic Bertrand Forum I belong to?
Zoe
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jul 6 2009, 04:30 PM) *
Wasn't this idea toyed with earlier in the year? Or am I thinking about the Plastic Bertrand Forum I belong to?

QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 4 2008, 05:38 PM) *
Spaced-out Bruges?

It's a great acronym and I bet it's cheap on the Eurostar.

If I keep saying it eventually it's bound to happen.

Bruges

Change platforms at Brussels Midi to continue your journey to the most picturesque town in Belgium.

Drift into your holiday with a cruise along the canals to glimpse crooked gabled houses, arched stone bridges and dreamy church spires, and discover why the city is nicknamed the Venice of the North.

Laced with cobbled streets, narrow canals and pristine medieval buildings, every corner seems more intriguing than the last in Bruges.

Get your cultural fix at Art Nocturne, an annual fair showcasing antiques and artwork. It’s held at the Cultureel Centrum Scharpoord in Knokke-Heist, near Bruges from 4-14 August
Find Renaissance and Baroque art at the Groeninge Museum, housing works from the Flemish Primitives including Van Eyck masterpieces
High-street names and major department stores cluster on Steenstraat, while dinky boutiques tempt label lovers along Noordzandstraat, Zuidzandstraat and Vlamingstraat.
Antique hunters should scour the centre's flea market (Saturday to Sunday from March to October) selling curiosities from stained glass windows to garden gnomes and old typewriters.
For French and Belgian cuisine with a dash of romance, make for the smart canalside restaurants where the views are almost as good as the food. Or, for world flavours from Italian to Japanese, try Oude Burg and Sint-Amandsstraat
Party until the wee hours on Langestraat and Kraanplein where the crammed bars pump out tunes from jazz to techno, blues to salsa
Fancy something low-key? Visit Bruges' oldest bar, whitewashed Cafe Vlissinghe, tucked away down a small alleyway, or choose from 300 different kinds of beer at Brugs Beertje

Discover Bruges from as little as 59!

I see myself as the forum's Ralph Fiennes
Kick in the Head
Well, you always stick to your principles.

Does that mean Matt Smith's the younger you as per the deleted scene?
Zoe
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jul 6 2009, 04:45 PM) *
Well, you always stick to your principles.

Does that mean Matt Smith's the younger you as per the deleted scene?

Oooh I haven't seen that; but I did buy the DVD recently so I'll have a look later. Once the rehearsal going on in my living room has finished.

You're an inanimate fucking object!
Jessopjessopjessop
Fookin' Bruge!
Shack
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jul 6 2009, 10:25 AM) *
Weekend of W

Welcome to the Jungle

I wish "The Rock", as he was still known back then, would make more action films like this. It's exactly what you want from an action film, plus he does s flying clothesline on a concrete pillar and only gives his arm a bit of a rub afterwards. Legend.

Annnnnnnnnnnd another great film starring Seann William Scott/Andy Roddick.

I'm up for Bruges. If only for the lovely beers.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Julie @ Jul 6 2009, 03:37 PM) *
SOIB in a heartbeat.

I'd go. I like boring old things and would definately be the Gleeson.
logger
No Country For Old Men

The individual's desire to be free of the constraints of society and fear of the consequences of anarchy told in lean, mean thriller. I normally prefer films to be a bit more abstract but the ultra linear story is told with such efficiency that it all adds up to one awesome machine. Film of the 00s.
monkeyman
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jul 6 2009, 10:25 AM) *
Weekend of W

Welcome to the Jungle

[b]I wish "The Rock", as he was still known back then, would make more action films like this. [/] It's exactly what you want from an action film, plus he does s flying clothesline on a concrete pillar and only gives his arm a bit of a rub afterwards. Legend.

Yes please
NiteFall
Last night I watched both Streetfighter and Van Wilder. I probably shouldn't have.
Kick in the Head
Public Enemies - pretty good. It's solidly put together and a tale well told, though loses a little whenever a) Tommy guns aren't a-blazing b) Marion Cotillard isn't on screen. The rest of the cast are still entirely watchable and there are some nice touches but it's not going to linger too long in the memory for what it's worth.
melzilla
Ice Age 3-D

Fun, cute and the Pegg's character is great. The 3-D could probably have been more effectively used, though.
Outatime
Would I miss out if I didn't see it in 3D? I'm just curious because seeing it in 3D will cost me approximately 4 times what it would cost me to see it in 2D.
sweetbutinsane
Mars Attacks!

Ack! Ack!
dandan
the omega man
the young victoria
becket
the bicycle thieves
ordinary people
where eagles dare
mcraigclark
You know what I don't like about 3-D? It's that there's always a set-up for the 3-D part, so it sort of takes you out of the story for a second. Too gimmicky for me.

QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Jul 7 2009, 05:26 AM) *
Mars Attacks!

Ack! Ack!

I should buy this.
Hobbes
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Jul 7 2009, 02:46 PM) *
I should buy this.

Ditto. A lost piece of comedy gold from the 90s. I always forget how insanely good the cast is aswell. Brosnan, Nicholson, Short, Close et al are ace. Been far too long sine I viewed it.
monkeyman
You know what I don't like about 3-D? It's that there's always a set-up for the 3-D part, so it sort of takes you out of the story for a second. Too gimmicky for me.

I've read that Coraline isn't gimmicky with it, dunno if thats true though.

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Jul 7 2009, 05:11 PM) *
Ditto. A lost piece of comedy gold from the 90s. I always forget how insanely good the cast is aswell. Brosnan, Nicholson, Short, Close et al are ace. Been far too long sine I viewed it.

Thirded.
melzilla
QUOTE (Outatime @ Jul 7 2009, 08:42 AM) *
Would I miss out if I didn't see it in 3D? I'm just curious because seeing it in 3D will cost me approximately 4 times what it would cost me to see it in 2D.

To be honest, I think you could enjoy this particular film just as much without.

This was pretty much the opposite with Ice Age 3. It didn't seem to have thought all that much about the 3D aspect at all which was what was a little disappointing about it. I was waiting for something cool and jumpy and dinosaur-in-your-facey and it just didn't happen. Was pretty though.

Coraline did make use of it better.

Let The Right One In

Finally got to see it at a Director's Chair screening and I really wasn't disappointed. An intriguing mix of bleak, beautiful, brutal and sweet. So unusual, thought provoking and completely engaging. Loved it.
dandan
librarian : curse of the judas chalice
librarian : return to king solomons mines
young people fucking
widowspider
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Jul 7 2009, 10:26 AM) *
Mars Attacks!

Ack! Ack!

Yes. Love that movie.
maian
Chinatown

A very astute distillation of everything that made film noir so great, except by making it in colour, Polanski creates a new visual language for the genre, even as he tips his hat to all the greats that came before him. It's been a few years since I last watched it, and it was even better on second vieiwing since I appreciated the intricacies of Robert Towne's script much more than I did the first time, and the ending was even more powerful since I found myself wanting it to end differently.
Shack
Transporter 3

Frank Martin returns to deliver another package while kicking people in the head and meeting the extraordinarily good looking Valentina (the scrumptiously ginger and freckly Natalya Rudakova).

Not sure about the nonsensical ecological backdrop but it was a nuts and bolts action movie with some nice touches. Enjoyable.

Another for the Stathbox.
Sostie
QUOTE (Shack @ Jul 10 2009, 03:18 PM) *
Transporter 3

meeting the extraordinarily good looking Valentina (the scrumptiously ginger and freckly Natalya Rudakova).

Yet, untalented.

So this time he fights them with his clothes in a beautiful coreographed display of Chippendale-Fu! I reckon by Transporter 4 or 5 we'll have the inevitable cock fight.
logger
QUOTE (Shack @ Jul 10 2009, 03:18 PM) *
Natalya Rudakova

I'm intrigued by the name alone.
sweetbutinsane
Hancock

I still like it as much as I did the first time I saw it, though it has set my dad off saying, "Good job!"

Apollo 13

Meh.

Ned Kelly

It was probably good, but I got distracted by ickle bunnies near the caravan and only really watched the end.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.