Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
maian
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Sep 15 2008, 11:48 AM)
Bourne Identity/Supremacy  I don't think I'd seen the second film since I first saw it so it felt just as fresh this time round.  I'm looking forward to watching Ultimatum on a normal sized (not airplane) screen.

I love Supremacy, but whenever I see the bit where the black cars start chasing him in Moscow, I can't help but think ''Oh, here's got a four-star rating now.''
Jimmay
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 15 2008, 01:05 PM)
I love Supremacy, but whenever I see the bit where the black cars start chasing him in Moscow, I can't help but think ''Oh, here's got a four-star rating now.''

Hehehe, I never thought of that. Although I did half expect Pierce Brosnan in a tank to come smashing through a wall and join in the fun. It just had a similar look about it.
Sostie
WALL-E
Has Pixar become deviant due to it's association with the evil Disney Empire? I must say I was a little taken aback by the content of this film. The depiction of the mentally ill for laughs was rather despicable. Our hero's date rape of EVA - he actually fingers her flaps while she is comatosed - was shocking. As for the "dance sequence", it was obviously Wall-E's deep fantasies manifested on screen as he zooms through space showering the object of his robot desires with his white, foamy ejaculate. Ban this filth now!

Apart from that it was quite good.
sweetbutinsane
The Patriot (2000)

Is it wrong that I kept expecting Mel Gibson to moon the British soldiers? wink.gif
Crutch
QUOTE (Llama @ Sep 15 2008, 01:14 PM)
Well, I made the mistake of watching 'Cube Zero' once, you can definitely put that on the list to avoid.

Well, Zero is much better than Hypercube. That one didn't even have any good splatter in it.

2001: A Space Odyssey - Still one of the best films ever.

"Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over."

Mission to Mars - The worst imaginable remake of 2001.

Paranoid Park - I like Gus Van Sant movies. He surely has a grip for what's going on in the world.
thirtyhelens
Choke

Rude satirical fun from Lord High Charlie... er, Clark Gregg. A more modest, lo-fi interpretation of Palahniuk than Fight Club, but no less daring. Perfectly cast - you need a Sam Rockwell to never lose your sympathies with a character like Victor and he delivers in spades, especially in the scenes with Anjelica Houston which reach a level of poignancy that is inherent from time to time in CP's writing but I don't think even Fincher managed to capture. Great stuff, highly recommended. (For the not-so-easily-offended, naturally.)
Ade
QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Sep 16 2008, 07:24 PM)
Choke

Rude satirical fun from Lord High Charlie... er, Clark Gregg. A more modest, lo-fi interpretation of Palahniuk than Fight Club, but no less daring. Perfectly cast - you need a Sam Rockwell to never lose your sympathies with a character like Victor and he delivers in spades, especially in the scenes with Anjelica Houston which reach a level of poignancy that is inherent from time to time in CP's writing but I don't think even Fincher managed to capture. Great stuff, highly recommended. (For the not-so-easily-offended, naturally.)

Great stuff, I've been waiting for someone's consensus on that. Marvelous. Cannae wait now.
logger
RoboCop

First time I've watched this all the way through for years and it's still a knock out. Not sure what I think about a remake, the original is a little cheap and could also do with a bit more depth but I wonder if they could make something as callous and perverse today. The fact that Darren Aronofsky is currently on board does reassure me a little, though.
Zoe
Control (2007)

Beautifully shot, but ultimately a very depressing piece. That's to be expected for a film where we all know the ending, but it's not Curtis' suicide that's so bleak. Rather it's his horribly heartless and cowardly treatment of his wife and child that leaves you so sad. I've never believed that being a troubled genius excuses you being a cunt, neither do neurological problems excuse repeated infidelity. I would applaud the film for its lack of sugar coating, but everyone is portrayed as such a disappointment it's hard to care for any of them. Curtis is certainly presented warts and all, but with a great sense of beauty and charisma (albeit a childlike and petulant Pete Doherty strand), but his wife somehow comes off worse. You wonder if her executive producer credit means she's tried to present herself as somehow saintly and blameless, but really she comes across as an irritatingly weak pushover. Curtis' fey and idiotic girlfriend fairs even worse (hardly surprising in a film with so much input by his wife). In fact the whole film would come across as massively misogynistic, were the men not such pathetic bastards too. Half the trouble is the lack of chemistry between the young Curtis and both of his love interests, you struggle to believe he likes either of them, let alone loves them.

Morton and Riley are very talented leads putting in subtle and nuanced performances and the film contains moments of real humour, beauty and occasionally very touching scenes. The music is very well used and Corbjin's talents as a music video director are more than evident; but there's no humanity here. Just a bunch of selfish and childish boys, and boring, downtrodden women.

It's set in the late 70s, not the 50s, Morton has no excuse not to tell him to fuck right off.
Rebus
Le Mystère de la Chambre Jaune (2003)

Based on Leroux's famous Phantom, this French whodunnit was thoroughly watchable. I've always been a fan of the genre but more often than not have been disappointed by its conclusion. Bruno Podalydès's interpretation of the tale drew me in almost instantly, due largely to the laying out of the mystery at the beginning, which was done in an enjoyably original way.

A killer seemingly manages to escape from a room that's door is locked and bolted, and that's windows are shut and barred. A reporter (along with his sidekick photographer) is sent to cover the mystery and becomes embroiled in a battle of wits with the detective sent to investigate. The almost complete lack of soundtrack is important in the film as it heightens the moments of tension, and adds to the comedy in the film's few wonderfully performed set pieces.

Jean-Noël Brouté as the photographer Sainclair put in an especially brilliant performance as the amiable sidekick (and had me almost convinced for part of the film that he was actually Alan Cumming). If you can immerse yourself in blissful ignorance, as you simply aren't allowed to know who could have 'dunnit', then you'll enjoy the final unravelling of the mystery. I've heard criticisms that the revelation is too short-lived and abrupt, but it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. If you like your whodunnits executed with a quirky humour, then you'll enjoy this.
Crutch
Aeon Flux - Not as thrilling or daring as the old MTV show, but they're stealing some quite good bits from the source material and they even came up with a good story. But that's the problem, the story is too smooth and the look of the movie too clean compared to the gritty and surreal original show. But hey it's Hollywood. At least it all comes together into one homogenic piece of film. And Theron is hot.

Underworld Evolution - Sex and violence galore including some really good looking werewolves. The first part wasn't a masterpiece and this one is even worse, but it's never boring even though the story is big pile of werewolf's poo. And Cate Beckinsale is hot.
sweetbutinsane
Mr And Mrs Smith

Only watched it (well, some of it) because my sister was watching it and I couldn't be bothered to get my personal DVD player out. Yawn.
NiteFall
Tropic Thunder

I really, really enjoyed this. It probably helped that I've watched a lot of Vietnam films recently though.
princess_shrek
I've started catching up on my film-watching...

The Darjeeling Limited Beautifully filmed, some very funny moments but I was somehow underwhelmed.

The Last King of Scotland A very well made film, with fabulous performances and a chillingly strong plot.

...and then variations on a theme called Colin Firth...forever typecast.

St Trinians Nothing like as funny as the originals; nobody could better Alastair Sim. That said, I still enjoyed the film as a piece of lighthearted fluffiness on an otherwise dreich afternoon, even the obligatory Colin-Firth-replays-Mr-Darcy's-white-shirt moment and the totally batty Stephen Fry smile.gif

Mamma Mia! I loved it from start to finish - perhaps because it provided me with a couple of hours of escapism. Never knew Piers Brosnan could sing; loved everything about the film though it'll never make it onto a list of best or most meaningful films of all time. However, it will make it onto my shelves when it comes out on DVD and I have no doubt I'll watch it frequently to cheer myself up. Worth watching right the way through the closing credits for the obligatory Colin-Firth-hams-it-up-in-platform-boots-and-lycra shots smile.gif

When did you last see your Father? I wanted to see the premiere of this at the Film Festival a couple of years back but couldn't get a ticket (story of my life). Finally got round to getting it on DVD and in terms of films that make me think and take me through the whole gamut of emotions, this is the best of the bunch I'm reviewing here. It's a typical Brit movie - Jim Broadbent, Colin Firth, Gina McKee, Juliet Stevenson and Sarah Lancashire - and as you'd expect from a cast like this, beautifully acted. Like The Last King of Scotland it's based on a true story, and explores a troubled relationship between father and son.

I wonder what I'll watch next? smile.gif
maian
Tropic Thunder (2008)

As I type this, I am nursing my aching lower jaw with plenty of soothing tea. The reason? During Tropic Thunder, I didn't stop laughing, and my face is now paying the piper for that. It is, cards on the table, the funniest film I have seen in the last year, possibly the last two or three. It really was as good as I hoped it would be, but in a way which I wasn't expecting.

The plot is well worn, being a cross between Platoon and ¡Three Amigos!, as a group of prima donna actors on the most expensive Vietnam war movie ever made, which goes three months behind schedule after four days of shooting, are dropped into a real life warzone by their director (Steve Coogan) on the advice of the no-handed veteran whose book inspired the film (Nick Nolte). They soon encounter a drug-manufacturing operation, and once they realise that the people shooting at them aren't extras, they have to fight for their lives.

I've already said that Tropic Thunder surprised me, and this not merely because it's funny, but how it's funny. I was expecting something akin to Zoolander, Ben Stiller's last turn in front of and behind the camera, assuming it would be a 'stupid-clever' film in which very smart people act incredibly dumb, and there is something of that in the early part of the film, particularly with regards to Stiller's character, former world's biggest action star Tugg Speedman, a trailer for one of his action movies and repeated references to his ill-fated decision to star in the film 'Simple Jack'. However, this is only part of the film's humour and one that is quickly put into the background, as a much more interesting kind comes to the fore; satire.

Tropic Thunder is not a spoof, as anyone who's had to endure any of the godawful Movie Movies that have been 'hilariously' sending up films over the last few years, but a genuine attempt to satirise Hollywood, its excesses and the egos and insecurities of its major stars, by people who are firmly ensconced in that system and can accurately pinpoint the pressure points and hit them hard. As such, it is quite blunt and uses broad caricatures to make its point, such as Robert Downey Jr.'s Method Actor, Kirk Lazarus, who never breaks character ''until the DVD commentary'', Jack Black's gross-out, fart-based comedian, Fats Portnoy (a love-child of Chris Farley and Eddie Murphy. Yeah, try to get that image out of your head) and the aforementioned Tugg Speedman, who Stiller plays as a walking bundle of neuroses who wants to be respected as an actor but whose first attempt backfired colossally.

Another thing that surprised me about the film was how nice it looks. This is a seriously nice looking movie with high production values that match what you would expect from a real war movie, making it easy to see where the film's reported £100 million+ budget went. Stiller's direction is spot-on, perfectly mirroring that of real war movies such as Platoon, The Deer Hunter and, most obviously, Apocalypse Now and the action sequences that litter the film are really well-executed, and surprisingly gory, and the third act is genuinely quite exciting, without letting the laughs die down as a result. However, Stiller doesn't let this overshadow the important part of the film; the interplay between the characters, which is the source of most of the laughs.

The film is really an ensemble piece and, even though Robert Downey Jr. really does steal the show as a man so method that he has dyed his skin black and acts like an African-American platoon sergeant for the entirety of the film, and whose monologue about going ''full retard'' is one of the best dissections of the Academy's obsession with actors playing the mentally handicapped is one of the high-lights of the film, everyone else gets their fair share of time. Jay Baruchel is left being the straight man to pretty much everyone else but is incredibly likable as the only vaguely normal person in the whole film, Brandon T. Jackson is great as the actual black member of the cast who constantly sparks with Lazarus over the way he maintains his character, and Jack Black is a whirlwind of profanity and twitchiness as a man who has spent too long away from his heroin. It really is a film that derives its humour from characters and plot, rather than just a wacky premise and the script by Stiller, Justin Theroux and Etan Cohen is really terrific.

There's also another performance in there that mercilessly tears into the flabby hide of Hollywood executives and the alpha-male, ego-driven world of the men at the top of the studios. I won't say anything more about it, though, as it's one of those things that you really have to see to believe and it's best to go in knowing as little as possible about it. All I knew was a name and a role, and even then I think it was too much to make it a really big surprise, but not enough to deaden its impact. So the less you know, the better, but 'wow' is the only word for it.

I've prattled on long enough so let's wrap up. Tropic Thunder is the funniest film of the year so far (I don't think it'll be displaced but you never know) and is already in my Top 10 for the year. It's smart, funny, exciting and features two of the best comedy performances you'll see at a cinema this year. And if you don't like the main film, at least you get the joy of the Robert Downey Jr. fake trailer at the start.
NiteFall
I have to say, I think I peed a little at A G5 airplane? Yes....and lots of money....playaaaa!
maian
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Sep 17 2008, 10:13 PM)
I have to say, I think I peed a little at A G5 airplane? Yes....and lots of money....playaaaa!

That was fantastic, as were all his dance moves.
NiteFall
Nick Nolte and Steve Coogan were also on top form it has to be said.
Ade
I think I now know what I'm doing with Friday evening. smile.gif
maian
Oh, Nolte is fantastic. He can do comedy so well and his old grizzled war vet is one of the best send ups of that kind of character that I've ever seen. Coogan was good, but I kind of felt that he had too little to do, but a little went a long way.
NiteFall
Oh, now that is great. You can actually buy cans of Booty Sweat energy drink.

If anyone wants to pick me up a case of this from the States I will happily reimburse them fully.
maian
I'm already planning to see it again on Tuesday with some friends. Can't wait.
NiteFall
I'm planning on doing absolutely no work tomorrow and to stand at the back of the screen watching it instead. laugh.gif
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 17 2008, 10:17 PM)
Coogan was good, but I kind of felt that he had too little to do, but a little went a long way.

Coogan will probably be very prominent in Rain of Madness though.
I'd just like to add my appreciation of the film: *ahem* I thought it was very good.
"I don't read the script, the script reads me."

I also saw Pineapple Express last Friday, and it was a wonderfully silly buddy movie, with the action itself being just as funny as the comedy.
Outatime
The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas - not as good as the book but the best adaptation they could have done.
Rua
QUOTE (maian @ Sep 17 2008, 10:31 PM)
I'm already planning to see it again on Tuesday with some friends. Can't wait.

Good stuff.

I shall go watch tonight.
Jessopjessopjessop
This has made me interested in seeing Tropic Thunder more. Having seen the trailer too many times I'd started to lose interest, and was worried the humour came entirely from un-PC gags like the child being thrown off the bridge, and the whole blacked-up thing. I'm glad there's more to it, because I was excited about the film early on.
Jimmay
Saw National Treasure as it was on BBC Three last night. It was alright and killed a couple of hours but anyone who didn’t see Sean Bean being a bad guy at the start needs there head testing. I think it would have been more enjoyable had I been an American but still, good clean fun.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Sep 18 2008, 11:31 AM)
Having seen the trailer too many times I'd started to lose interest...

I just watched the trailer now for the first time, for that reason.

I'd always wanted to see it, but deliberately avoided much about it. Trailer looks great, though.
The Phantom
Watched a film called 'Once' at a local film society the other day. A very simple film about a busker who plays his own material on the streets of Dublin, he meets a Czech immigrant who likes his stuff and they begin playing music togther and end up recording a CD with backing from a collection of other buskers they round up.

It's quite a moving piece but doesn't get too bogged down in the backgrounds of the characters and just lets the music shine. You dont even find out the names of the main two characters.

Well worth a watch.
Omniscia
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Sep 18 2008, 06:58 AM)
I think it would have been more enjoyable had I been an American...

Or just more embarrassing.
sweetbutinsane
Labyrinth

I don't really know what to say except happy.gif .

It was so good! Ludo was my favourite, hehe.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Sep 18 2008, 07:32 PM)
Labyrinth

Starring David Bowie as The Goblin King, and David Bowie's Codpiece as Himself.

I love this film (and The Dark Crystal, the 2 of which I tend to pair together for some reason). Saying the "You remind me of the babe" lines used to be a little thing with a friend of mine and me. One of us would say that mid-conversation, then we had to speak the rest of the lines, and then both break into song at the same time.

"I saw my baby, cryin' hard as babe could cry - would could I do?"

And so on.
curtinparloe
Tropic Thunder
Loved it, especially (what I took to be) all the sly movie references cropping up - The explosion at the end ripping off MI3, the coke in the shape of mashed potatoes, etc.. Pretty much what Ed said.
Didn't have any idea about the Grossman character. Proper funny that was.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Sep 18 2008, 07:43 PM)
Starring David Bowie as The Goblin King, and David Bowie's Codpiece as Himself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. Of course, it was rather noticeable...

QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Sep 18 2008, 07:43 PM)
I love this film (and The Dark Crystal, the 2 of which I tend to pair together for some reason). Saying the "You remind me of the babe" lines used to be a little thing with a friend of mine and me. One of us would say that mid-conversation, then we had to speak the rest of the lines, and then both break into song at the same time.

I've had it stuck in my head all day! laugh.gif
GundamGuy_UK
Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom is as great. You have no power over me.
Outatime
Die Welle (The Wave)

German film based on The Wave experiment done in America. Absolutely brilliant. A popular teacher takes a class on autocracy for project week in school and starts to demonstrate how easily a dictatorship can be formed (after the claim by one student that a dictatorship would never happen in Germany again).

Well worth a viewing if you get the chance, don't know if it's getting a general release as I saw it at the Cambridge Film Festival last night.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Outatime @ Sep 19 2008, 09:29 AM)
Die Welle (The Wave)

German film based on The Wave experiment done in America.  Absolutely brilliant.  A popular teacher takes a class on autocracy for project week in school and starts to demonstrate how easily a dictatorship can be formed (after the claim by one student that a dictatorship would never happen in Germany again). 

Well worth a viewing if you get the chance, don't know if it's getting a general release as I saw it at the Cambridge Film Festival last night.

It's out today on a limited release and I certainly intend to see it when I get the chance.
Flame7581
I'm hoping to see Ghost Town this weekend... It looks really good!
Raven
Tally Ho! I'm currently watching Battle of Britian on Film 4.
maian
QUOTE (Outatime @ Sep 19 2008, 09:29 AM)
Die Welle (The Wave)

German film based on The Wave experiment done in America.  Absolutely brilliant.  A popular teacher takes a class on autocracy for project week in school and starts to demonstrate how easily a dictatorship can be formed (after the claim by one student that a dictatorship would never happen in Germany again). 

That sounds really interesting. I just listened to Mark Kermode's review of it as well and I'm definitely going to see it when it screens in Sheffield next month.
Peronel
The Godfather

Awesome.

The Godfather Part II

Awesomer.
Julie
Burn After Reading

Not quite as I expected, but still enjoyable enough. Brad Pitt was trying way too hard and the obviousness of it was off-putting, but otherwise I laughed pretty hard at a few points. Including one part involved a sex accessory that I don't think most people in the audience recognized. It's awkward being the only person howling in a theatre.
Omniscia
Dawn of the Dead

The original, and still the best. Holy frack, does it look nice on Blu-ray...
Peronel
QUOTE (Julie @ Sep 21 2008, 10:48 AM)
Including one part involved a sex accessory that I don't think most people in the audience recognized.  It's awkward being the only person howling in a theatre.

Oooh, what was it? That way if we all watch it, we can laugh knowingly and look cool.
Julie
QUOTE (Peronel @ Sep 21 2008, 12:37 AM)
Oooh, what was it? That way if we all watch it, we can laugh knowingly and look cool.

A 'Liberator' cushion.

It's for old people with hip replacements and such.
mcraigclark
The Nines

I liked it, and it's hard to talk about without giving too much away. The film takes place in three acts, all of them just as interconnected as they are distinct. Ryan Reynolds proves he's more than a hot body, but I think Melissa McCarthy steals it.
Rebus
WALL·E

Good to see Michael Crawford on the big screen.

Noise

Best Australian film made in the last decade, too few are as good as this.
Crutch
Wall-E - The most heart-warming movie of the year. I really like it.

Feast - Splatter and fun with sex-crazed monsters and shit editing. Including some nice self-aware tonge-in-cheek moments.

No Man's Land - Rise of Reeker - It's okay.

Dan in real life - Really good for a Hollywood comedy.

Atonement - I had no idea that it's that sick. I liked it.
thirtyhelens
Vantage Point

Imagine 24 on a dose of high-grade crystal meth, and that might just approximate Vantage Point. Completely bombastic, overblown, and ridiculous, despite a game cast that are trying their best, in the end it's just silly and crammed full of so much expositionary dialogue it drove me up a wall. Which isn't to say it wasn't entertaining in parts, just... well, ultimately easily forgettable. Shame, because it's an interesting premise. And I'd like to smack whoever lit poor Sigourney Weaver right in the mouth, she's still a lovely woman and in this she looks awful.

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains

Thank you, thank you, Rhino DVD! biggrin.gif I need to go buy my fishnets and peroxide now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.