Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
Sir_Robin_the_brave
The guy three seats across from me was organising a drug deal on his phone, not very subtly.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Aug 21 2009, 11:22 AM) *
The guy three seats across from me was organising a drug deal on his phone, not very subtly.

I have to tell someone to shut up or turn their phone off virtually every time I go to the cinema now. I have developed an extremely low tolerance for twats, so at the risk of a bleach attack I have to say something. It is another step to becoming a fully-fledged vigilante, stamping out public crimes like littering, queue-jumping and dog fouling with my special brand of polite protestation and extreme violence.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Aug 21 2009, 11:32 AM) *
I have to tell someone to shut up or turn their phone off virtually every time I go to the cinema now. I have developed an extremely low tolerance for twats, so at the risk of a bleach attack I have to say something. It is another step to becoming a fully-fledged vigilante, stamping out public crimes like littering, queue-jumping and dog fouling with my special brand of polite protestation and extreme violence.

I was discussing vigilantiism the other day actually and how it was strange that they didn't really exist.

Our conclusion was that its too easy to die.
Raven
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Aug 21 2009, 01:13 PM) *
I was discussing vigilantiism the other day actually and how it was strange that they didn't really exist.

Comic book always make things look too simple . . .
Rua

There is still a strong vigilante element at work over here in certain areas.
In fact half of Larne turned up at at a suspected young criminals parents house at midnight to "protest". All that was missing was burning torches.

eta: I should add. No-one wore any easily identifiable costume or masks, neither did they leave a trademark calling card. Just all wooly faces.
Jessopjessopjessop
I was discussing vigilantism the other day actually and how it was strange that they didn't really exist.

Well, there were the Guardian Angels but do they count?

QUOTE (Rua @ Aug 21 2009, 02:02 PM) *
There is still a strong vigilante element at work over here in certain areas.

Blimey. Things like that shock my liberal sensibilities. I really just want to punish people who talk over films.

Who knows, one more belligerent cigarette butt flicked into the gutter from a suited ignoramus and I might just snap.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Aug 21 2009, 03:20 PM) *
Who knows, one more belligerent cigarette butt flicked into the gutter from a suited ignoramus and I might just snap.

He strikes from the darkness. You'll never seem him coming. He is:

THE USHER
Rua

Quiet you.

Good costume.
Jessopjessopjessop
I do look really good in gray.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Rua @ Aug 21 2009, 03:28 PM) *

Quiet you.

Good costume.

Wow Adam, I barely recognised you.
Rua
It's a disguise.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Rua @ Aug 21 2009, 03:28 PM) *

I answer most certainly in the affirmative or ...

People who talk in cinema are FOOLS. I usually tell them to shut-the-shut-up but nicely however - now I fear reprisal. People tend not to pick on me - although I am the size of a thimble, apparently I can be quite initimidating like one of those wee barky terriers (arfz). This is when the accent is a help. Being posh does not enhance swearing.
fatseff1234
QUOTE (logger @ Aug 20 2009, 11:00 PM) *
I think Batman The Movie really is the best. I mean, c'mooon

That scene is hilarious.

Yes!

I actually think it's amazing. Cheesey shite for the win!

Don't even get me started on the Shark Repellent Spray...
monkeyman
QUOTE (curtinparloe @ Aug 20 2009, 11:30 PM) *
Coco Avant Chanel
Audrey Tatou single-handedly changes fashion from corsets and meringues to haute couture (although that's apparently what Coco Chanel actually did). Production design was always going to be important in a fashion designer's biopic, so they've clearly decided that Tatou should smoke as many cigarettes as possible, at the expense of having a sense of time and place. I had pretty much no idea when this was supposed to be set, other than "olden times".
The acting's good throughout and it's fairly enjoyable, but I would expect a story that's somewhat economical with the facts to be a little less meandering.

I saw an advert for this in the Metro today, Tatou was clearly meant to be holding a cigarrette in it but it had been digitally removed and it just looked silly.
Serafina_Pekkala
I had pretty much no idea when this was supposed to be set, other than "olden times".

Chanel's career was basically after WW1 up to WW2. The 1920s was when she moved away from long hair and corsets and stuffy old bonnets (Edwardian clothing) to black dresses, trousers, short 'gamine' hair, being skinny and tanned.

Then she gone and blown it by shacking-up with a married SS officer called Baron Von Somethingorother, tried to sell out her Jewish business partners and narrowly escaped being paraded naked through the streets of Paris with a shaved head and swastika on her forehead (like all other collaborators) because she was mates with Winston Churchill. They asked her to be a double agent but she was sitting firmly on the fence. She had to go and live in Switzerland for 15 years after WW2.

This is Coco Devant Chanel.
curtinparloe
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Aug 21 2009, 11:36 PM) *
Chanel's career was basically after WW1 up to WW2.

I looked into it after seeing the film, which was very vague and confused the issue considerably.
maian
Take The Money And Run (1969)

Woody Allen's debut feature (unless you count What's Up, Tiger Lily? which he didn't direct in the strictest sense) is a riotous affair in which Allen plays Virgil Starkwell, an inept criminal whose life is detailed in the form of a fake documentary. It's full of superb one-liners (''After fifteen minutes I'd fallen in love with her, and after half an hour I'd completely given up on the idea of stealing her purse''), visual gags (Virgil fashions a gun out of soap in an attempt to escape from prison, only for it to turn to suds in the rain) and the whole film brims with energy and excitement. It's very messy and is more of a collection of gags than a real film but the gags are hilarious.

Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

It's been a while since I last saw this and I thought I'd check it out in advance of Ponyo but also to see if it was as good as I remembered it being. It kind of is since Miyazaki's films are always achingly beautiful, but I just didn't find it as, well, moving as his other films can be. It's still a lovely piece of work, but not one that I would choose to watch on a whim.
monkeyman
Agreed on Howls moving castle.

I wouldnt mind watching Porco Rosso again soon actually.
maian
QUOTE (monkeyman @ Aug 22 2009, 06:08 PM) *
I wouldnt mind watching Porco Rosso again soon actually.

Now there's a film that's worth revisiting again and again.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 22 2009, 05:46 PM) *
Howl's Moving Castle (2004)

It's been a while since I last saw this and I thought I'd check it out in advance of Ponyo but also to see if it was as good as I remembered it being. It kind of is since Miyazaki's films are always achingly beautiful, but I just didn't find it as, well, moving as his other films can be. It's still a lovely piece of work, but not one that I would choose to watch on a whim.

My favourite is Totoro (has my favourite animation sequence ever - the waiting for the bus in the rain bit) but this is close second as a favourite for me. I didn't get the appeal of Porco Rossi.

My niece, La Petite Une is currently twitterpated (her favourite term of late - from Bambi) with Kiki's Delivery Service. She even looks like Kiki and has taken to wearing a big headband.
curtinparloe
Kaminey (Scoundrels)
Twin brothers, one evil one good, become embroiled in a drug deal with three interested factions. Quite entertaining, despite the Bollywood tendency to make the plot as complicated as possible.
monkeyman
That sounds just like a Van Damme film I watched once...
maian
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Aug 22 2009, 08:04 PM) *
My favourite is Totoro (has my favourite animation sequence ever - the waiting for the bus in the rain bit) but this is close second as a favourite for me. I didn't get the appeal of Porco Rossi.

My niece, La Petite Une is currently twitterpated (her favourite term of late - from Bambi) with Kiki's Delivery Service. She even looks like Kiki and has taken to wearing a big headband.

Totoro is my favourite, too. I absolutely adore that film, and that sequence in particular is gorgeous.

I suppose I'd probably put Howl's somewhere in lower rungs, if I were to rank Miyazaki's films. I still think it's really good, it just doesn't quite have the same spark that I find in Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke or the aforementioned Kiki.

I'm tempted to track down a copy of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Winds now. I haven't seen that one in ages and I was quite taken with it.
GundamGuy_UK
Has anyone seen Grave of the Fireflies?

That's fucking bleak, it would be even if it weren't a Ghibli movie.
maian
It's a superb film. I doubt I'd watch it ever again since the first viewing destroyed me, but I was amazed by how bleak they managed to make it.
GundamGuy_UK
Oh, I agree. Wonderfully great film.

I have it on DVD and never want to watch it.
Kick in the Head
Cloverfield with commentary in which director Matt Reeves talks a lot about very little. I hate those kind of commentaries where it just feels like press junket speech and gives you very little fresh information, or anecdotes, or deconstruction. Apparently J J Abrams is an amazing guy and the shoot was crazy. God help us with his Let The Right One In remake. Not that I don't think he will take a fair stab at it, but I just don't think he's got the intellect to pull it off.

Plus he has a girly voice.
Llama
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 23 2009, 11:47 AM) *
Has anyone seen Grave of the Fireflies?

I bought it on DVD about two years ago and just haven't brought myself to watch it yet because I know how depressing it's meant to be. I'm worried I might end up crying for a week.
maian
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 23 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Cloverfield with commentary in which director Matt Reeves talks a lot about very little. I hate those kind of commentaries where it just feels like press junket speech and gives you very little fresh information, or anecdotes, or deconstruction. Apparently J J Abrams is an amazing guy and the shoot was crazy. God help us with his Let The Right One In remake. Not that I don't think he will take a fair stab at it, but I just don't think he's got the intellect to pull it off.

Plus he has a girly voice.

I think there is potential in the remake if they go back to the book, rather than just remaking the earlier film. The book differs vastly and they could make an entirely different film that could stand apart. Then again, the fact that John Ajvide Lindqvist wrote the screenplay for the original and was therefore responsible for the changes between the film and the book suggests that even he didn't think they could do all of the book and make a coherent film.
logger
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

I feel dirty for enjoying this at all. Still, it's better than Dogma.

QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 23 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Cloverfield with commentary in which director Matt Reeves talks a lot about very little.

One of the worst commentaries I've heard.
Hobbes
QUOTE (logger @ Aug 23 2009, 01:50 PM) *
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

I feel dirty for enjoying this at all. Still, it's better than Dogma.

Don't feel bad about it. It's a horribly self-indulgent movie but it's got some quality gags in it and Chris Rock is hilarious. But it's no way better than Dogma which is much cleverer, funnier and a better movie, I love it.
logger
Each to their own, I suppose. smile.gif
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 23 2009, 01:30 PM) *
I think there is potential in the remake if they go back to the book, rather than just remaking the earlier film. The book differs vastly and they could make an entirely different film that could stand apart. Then again, the fact that John Ajvide Lindqvist wrote the screenplay for the original and was therefore responsible for the changes between the film and the book suggests that even he didn't think they could do all of the book and make a coherent film.

I picked up the book in WHSmith today for a quick perusal but didn't buy it. However, I'm pretty sure I will read it in the near future.

And I'd second the Jay and Silent Bob appreciation over Dogma, but also second the fact that I don't think anyone ever shares the same opinion on Kevin Smith film rankings. Different ones tick different boxes or disappoint differently. I for one enjoyed Clerks II AND Zack and Miri, and prefer Mallrats to Clerks.
Atara
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 23 2009, 02:47 PM) *
I for one enjoyed Clerks II AND Zack and Miri, and prefer Mallrats to Clerks.

I have to agree with you there.

I like both Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob. It is hard to say which one I prefer as it really depends on mood
Jon 79
I just saw Inglorious Basterds.
A pretty good film. Not QT's best film, but by no means anywhere near his worst.
Sostie
WILD CHILD
Skanky American teen is sent to English boarding school and, like, discovers true friendship blah blah blah. I'm not really its target audience but it was passable enough. Nice, brief, turn by Nick Frost, Natasha Richardson looked gorgeous and Aidan Quinn looks really old.

DEATH RACE
DOOMSDAY
SHOOT EM UP

A fine testosterone filled triple bill of dumb action fun. Re: Death Race. Paul W S Anderson films are well executed and fun, and he deserves a bit more credit than he gets.
Jimmay
An odd mix of films this weekend.

Saturday morning had 30 Days of Night Very enjoyable vampire flick with some really brutal moments and a genuinely decent ending that wasn't what I was expecting to happen. However, the scenes did seem to run on from each other a little too well despite the supposed week or weeks that fell between them.

Sunday's hangover film was Breakfast Club which I had never seen before (I know) but thought it was truly amazing and deserved of all the praise that gets heaped upon it. I must admit I was expecting a film that would be filled with 80's nostalgia which would have been completely lost on me having never seen it back when it was current but if you change the outfits and some of the music the characters are still the same people you would find in schools today and when I was at school. Genuinely moving and involving, its a shame that films like this aimed at teenagers just aren't made anymore. It should be compulsory viewing for people of a certain age in my opinion.

And finally, Submerged. Steven Segal, Vinnie Jones, the bloke who played Little John in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves and Carla from Coronation Street go to a racist mockery of Uruguay and tie together scenes which would have fit right into Hot Shots involving goats blowing up and brain washing. It made very little sense and watching Se gal fighting these days is like watching a mulleted fat grandad dancing. It was excellent.
Zoe
Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008)

Rather slight, even for late Woody, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Not enough drama to be a drama, not enough jokes to be a comedy. I think it would have greatly benefited from a couple of confident comedic performers to lift the whole thing. Even (dare I say it) Woody himself, or at least a Woody substitute.

Barcelona and the girls look lovely and the film is very sexy, but it’s neither profound nor amusing, and the end is a particular let down.

Woody is best when he mixes comedy and tragedy, this has neither. Just think how Woody’s performance in ‘Crimes and Misdemeanours’ contrasts with the tragic profundity of Landau’s plot, enhancing rather than detracting from the drama. Though, there’s not much story to detract from here. I wish Penelope Cruz had killed someone, or they’d killed her, or (as in most Woody Allen films) Javier Bardem had paid someone to kill her.

You can sum up the film's flaws in its own knowing dialogue

"She made a film."

"How exciting."

"It was twelve minutes."

"What was it about?"

"About? It was, uh, it was about why love is so hard to define."

"Wow, that’s a mighty big subject to handle in twelve minutes."

(replace 12 with 90)

I still love him
Zoe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 27 2009, 03:01 AM) *
'An American Werewolf in London' (1981)

Looked fantastic on a big screen, and we got to watch it in the company of not only John Landis but also Jenny Agutter. She looked fantastic on a big screen and in her cinema seat.

News from the screening:

Landis has sold the rights for a remake to Dimension

His next project is a Burke and Hare film which will be "75% accurate". It starts filming in Edinburgh soon and he said it will have a big name in the cast which will cause a bit of a stir when it's announced in a couple of weeks.

EDIT: Oh and he did talk about Michael Jackson when asked. He said he liked him a lot, he was nuts, but he liked him a lot.

Ha! I had no idea the casting announcement would be so relevant to this forum - unless, of course, the other lead is the big star...
logger
Death Race

I'd forgot just how lowest common denominator this was.
Sostie
SILENT HILL
It may be a game adaptation, but it's still one of the most visually striking and creepiest looking horror films for a long time.

QUOTE (maian @ Aug 23 2009, 01:30 PM) *

I'd think it would be a mistake. The addition of Håkan's back story and post death story as it were, as well as the material about the investigating police officer and his step son to be, would actually bog down the film. It works in the novel, and seeing it filmed would be interesting, but as well as lengthening the film somewhat it would also shift a lot of focus away from Oskar & Eli. I also think the inclusion of Håkan's pedo past would make him a less sympathetic character - an aspect I loved about the original film. On top of all that, the reason behind the re-make is to make money. A plotline involving a kiddy fiddler, who becomes a walking corpse obsessed with violating what is on screen a little girl would probably be considered box office poison
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Aug 24 2009, 02:14 PM) *
Sunday's hangover film was Breakfast Club which I had never seen before (I know

You'll get loads more of the jokes in Family Guy now.
maian
Inglourious Basterds

Regardless of my feelings about Quentin Tarantino's long-gestating Jewish revenge fantasy, I've got to say that his version of history is a hell of a lot more fun than real history. Filtering history through the lenses of every film made about World War II, he applies his ''movie movie'' ideas to history, re-writing history as it would have been had Sam Fuller or Peckinpah been running the war effort. Consequently, he gives us a story in which a group of Jewish commandos is sent behind enemy lines to kill Nazis in luridly brutal ways, complete with scalping and beating skulls in with a baseball bat, to create fear amongst the German army.

What Inglourious Basterds best illustrates is Tarantino's skill as a writer and director, but not necessarily as a film-maker. Essentially, it is a film which is well-directed, is written in the loping, lyrical style and features the laconically loquacious characters to which we have become accustomed, but which, for some reason, disappoints. It's problems are wide ranging and run deep. It's far too long, at least an hour too long, and there are far too many indulgences on the part of Tarantino, be it in the form of a pointlessly long scene in a basement which serves little purpose other than to show off how good Diane Kruger and Michael Fassbender are (not that I'm complaining about them, just that the scene itself doesn't really serve any purpose by being so protracted) or the inclusion of Mike Myers in a cameo role that is distracting to a fault.

The main problem with it is that Tarantino seems to be torn over what kind of film he wants to make; he either wants to make an intense, intimate and wordy spy film full of scenes in which language, both verbal and physical, dictate the relationships between the characters and where holding up the wrong fingers can have the most dire consequences, and a rowdy, sleazy exploitation romp in which men get scalped, heads get beat in and history is gleefully re-written to the strains of Morricone songs. He can't decide which to go with, so he tries both, and we end up with a film that lumbers clumsily from one to the other.

Both elements are entertaining in their own ways - the opening scene with Col. Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz) talking to a French farmer to discover if he his hiding Jews on his farm is unbearably tense, whilst the scenes of scalping have a gooey, rambunctious charm to them - they just don't mesh together.

The plot strands of the film don't mesh together either. On the one hand, you have the story of Shosanna (Mélanie Laurent), a young Jewish girl who, after escaping from Hans Landa, finds herself running a cinema in Paris and fending off the romantic advances of Fredrick Zoller (Daniel Brühl), a German war hero. Then you have the Basterds themselves who, led by Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) romp the countryside killing Nazis. Admittedly we hardly see them doing this, but apparently they do and they are rather good at it. Then there's Archie Hicox (Michael Fassbender), a British spy who is thrown into the mix, albeit briefly, after being involved in one of the most painfully awful scenes imaginable; Mike Myers gurning away as a British general.

Individually, these threads are fine, but they never feel as if they are part of the same story because they are not interwoven in the same way that (dare I invoke its name?) those of Pulp Fiction were. They all revolve around and wend towards the ridiculous finale, but they never cross paths or suggest that any part of the film requires any other part for the film to work. Its episodic nature, divided as it is into chapters, prevent any sense of cohesion, a problem that is compounded by the way in which the strands are forever kept apart.

It's enjoyable in places, I found myself laughing quite often and there were several scenes that were tense, but as a whole it is only 'OK'. The performances range from excellent (Christoph Waltz, as easily the best character in the film, Michael Fassbender, who out Niven's Niven) to appalling (Eli Roth, who looks like he knows that he can't act so is on the verge of tears throughout, the aforementioned Mike Myers) with varying degrees of quality between those two markers. Overall, though, it just ends up feeling so disparate and unfocused that its redeeming characteristics are undercut by its terrible failings.

Still, at least it’s better than Death Proof.
Atara
Event Horizon

Looks shiny on blu-ray and still freaks me the hell out.
KevinandNick
Inglourious Basterds

At the screening Nick & I attended, about half-way through, someone in the audience made their feelings clear about the movie - he stood up, turned around, dropped his trousers & underkeks, bent over and farted VERY loudly at the screen.

I guess he wasn't all that impressed by the thing... tongue.gif

Kev W
Rua
QUOTE (KevinandNick @ Aug 27 2009, 12:08 PM) *
Inglourious Basterds
At the screening Nick & I attended, about half-way through, someone in the audience made their feelings clear about the movie - he stood up, turned around, dropped his trousers & underkeks, bent over and farted VERY loudly at the screen.
Kev W

Lucky for him that vigilante The Usher wasn't there. He would've shushed him right the fuck up.
blackcherry
I can't decide whether to see Moon or Inglourious Basterds at the cinema tonight.

Or maybe stay at home and watch the recent film version of State of Play. Or will that be a massive disappointment considering that I have just rewatched the absolutely brilliant original series?

I need your guidance!
logger
Let The Right One In

Not as good second time round.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (blackcherry @ Aug 27 2009, 01:12 PM) *
I can't decide whether to see Moon or Inglourious Basterds at the cinema tonight.

Or maybe stay at home and watch the recent film version of State of Play. Or will that be a massive disappointment considering that I have just rewatched the absolutely brilliant original series?

I need your guidance!

Moon - it's harder to find, so any showing anywhere must be considered a blessing. Also, it's wonderful.
bigfatrich
QUOTE (blackcherry @ Aug 27 2009, 01:12 PM) *

I need your guidance!

If you'd have been at the showing Kevin and Nick were at, you could have seen both.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.