Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
Atara
So no one then. You are a sucky superhero
maian
He doesn't have to feel bad about himself, though.
Flame7581
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 15 2008, 12:03 PM) *
The truth is, I am Iron Man

That's okay because I'm Batman.. Bet you didn't know he was really a women eh? wink.gif
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Flame7581 @ Oct 15 2008, 06:14 PM) *
That's okay because I'm Batman.. Bet you didn't know he was really a women eh? wink.gif

He's more than one?! Is it done on some sort of shift based rota or do you each occupy a limb/part of the body like a Power Ranger megatron? Is who gets to be the head on a shift based rota as well? Do the villains work on a similar system? Fuck me, this makes the big B a whole lot more interesting.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Oct 15 2008, 06:20 PM) *
He's more than one?! Is it done on some sort of shift based rota or do you each occupy a limb/part of the body like a Power Ranger megatron? Is who gets to be the head on a shift based rota as well? Do the villains work on a similar system? Fuck me, this makes the big B a whole lot more interesting.

By your powers combined, I am Batman!
Atara
biggrin.gif
dandan
devil fetus - cake, worms, dog, eagles blood...

a woman, juk (lo pooi pooi) buys a jade vase from an auction, whilst her husband is away on business. unfortunately, the vase contains a demon, which begins sleeping with juk. juk's husband arrives back to find juk and the vase beast making a beast of their own: the vase explodes, his face falls apart when it becomes fiddled with maggots and he throws himself out of a window. juk soon finds herself following her husband to the grave, but is carrying, you've guessed it, a devil fetus (sic). ten years later, disturbed by juk's god-daughter jojo (shirley lui), the demon comes back to cause no end of problems in the remnants of the ching family...

well, this was better than expected. mixing a more serious tone, with hong kong (gore heavy, scare light) horror and a few nifty effects. this isn't to say that it is not a hokey, ridiculous film, packed with daftness and some crappy effects. but. but, lau hung-chuen, making his directorial debut after years of lensing films, adds some visual flair and there's some quite nifty editing and good, old fashioned, special effects. none of the cast shine enough to garner a mention, apart from the dog which played bobby the dog, whose name i don't know.

by no means great, but watchable enough...

stripes - chicks dig me, because i rarely wear underwear and when i do it's usually something unusual...

john winger (bill murray) and russell ziskey (harold ramis) are drifting through life without any real direction; after becoming increasingly disillusioned with their lives, they decide to join the army. along with a bunch of other new recruits, the pair struggle through basic training, under the iron rod of their drill instructor, sgt. hulka (warren oates). however, there's a light at the end of the tunnel in the form of two friendly military police, stella (p j soles) and louise (sean young), plus there's always the possibility that the underdogs may triumph over adversity and win through...

well, i didn't realise that this was originally meant to be 'cheech and chong join the army', but i'm quite glad it wasn't. for a start, it brought harold ramis and bill murray on screen in their first feature film partnership, with ivan reitman directing and a great supporting cast. alongside the five previously mentioned, there's john candy, john larroquette, john diehl and judge reinhold, amongst others, who all do sterling work.

my viewing experience wasn't quite as full of hilarity as when i first watched this film many years ago, but it is still a fun watch, despite it's age. as a second feature from reitman and murray, with ramis being thrown in to the mix, showing traces of the heights the three would reach in future collaborations.

good stuff...
dolfyn
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Oct 16 2008, 04:26 AM) *
By your powers combined, I am Batman!

"By Grapthar's Hammer....!"
or
"By the power of Greyskull....!"
Whichever works. happy.gif

I'm a superhero that's so secret, I don't even have a superhero name. tongue.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif
GundamGuy_UK
See, now you've got me imagining this but with Batman... Because as you know, my philosophy in life is that everything is better if there's a giant robot in it. Instead of the Batpod, the Batmobile could have turned into a big mech, and then the Joker would have a big clown-headed one that fired juggling ball bombs and a laser out of a flower on its chest... I'll stop now.
Flame7581
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Oct 16 2008, 01:31 AM) *
"By Grapthar's Hammer....!"
or
"By the power of Greyskull....!"
Whichever works. happy.gif

I'm a superhero that's so secret, I don't even have a superhero name. tongue.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
wink.gif

How did Wonder Woman change again? Didn't she say anything (I remember she twirled)
Rua
QUOTE (Flame7581 @ Oct 16 2008, 08:56 PM) *
How did Wonder Woman change again? Didn't she say anything (I remember she twirled)

For the Honour of Vag.
dolfyn
QUOTE (Flame7581 @ Oct 17 2008, 06:56 AM) *

No, I think she just twirled, Cuz. smile.gif

QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 17 2008, 11:01 AM) *

For the Honour of Vag.

laugh.gif
You nearly made me choke on my lunch. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif
dandan
brideshead revisited - drinking is not a hobby...

charles ryder (matthew goode), a man of a relatively humble, lower middle-class, heritage has just arrived at oxford to read history, although he wants to be an artist. correction. he is an artist. it isn't long before the young mr ryder makes the acquaintance of lord sebastian flyte (ben whishaw); a charming, flamboyant and fun character. seduced by sebastian's oft outrageous lifestyle, charles spends more and more time with him, even travelling up to brideshead, the flyte family home, for the summer. it is here where sebastian attempts to seduce charles, but his head is turned by julia (hayley atwell), sebastian's sister...

having not read waugh's novel or watched the granada adaptation, this was all new to me. however, after thoroughly enjoying the first two thirds of the film, the final third was quite a let down. after a bit of internet snooping, in particular looking at the episode list of the granada production, it would appear as if they covered the first two episodes of the series in the first two thirds of the film, before reworking and squashing the remaining nine episodes of material into a rather messy final third. throughout this final third, i began wondering if the novel and other adaptations suffered as much in their final acts: it would appear not. looks like i may have to pick up the dvds of the mini-series...

besides the lacklustre, messy and, ultimately, poor final third, there's still a good amount to enjoy in this adaptation. the production values are rather high and, as such, the film really does look and sound quite wonderful. it also made me wonder why i'd never been to castle howard (okay, maybe i have, but i don't remember), as it is just up the road. i also found myself wondering how i could wangle myself a holiday in venice; one where i can stay with a rich family and enjoy their opulent hospitality. i think i need to begin some ryder-esque, social-manoeuvring...

goode and whishaw are very watchable, atwell is better than she was in 'the duchess', but by no means great. emma thompson and micheal gambon, as the (now divided) lady and lord marchmain, provide the kind of solid support that one would expect, whilst eric stoppard and felicity jones get an honourable mention: they quietlt went about their business, as the other flyte siblings, but their interjections were always most welcome.

two thirds good, one third bad. shame...
Crutch
True Romance - I still think this is a better adaptation of a Tarantino-script than even Tarantino could make. Still very entertaining and intense after all these years.
logger
Dog Solidiers

Sean Pertwee really deserves to be a bigger star.

This is also the first time I've noticed how much Darren Morfitt is a geordie Simon Pegg, very similar mannerisms and timing.
Flame7581
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Oct 16 2008, 10:52 PM) *
No, I think she just twirled, Cuz. smile.gif

Ahh.. Thanks cuz! smile.gif

QUOTE (dolfyn @ Oct 16 2008, 10:52 PM) *
laugh.gif
You nearly made me choke on my lunch. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif

Thankfully I wasn't eating lunch then or I might have myself..
sweetbutinsane
Batman Begins

Because of an in-joke I have with a friend, Bruce's party speech was extra funny this time around. happy.gif
Atara
Zodiac

It was ok.
logger
Dance of the Dead

Cheap and cheerful zombie flick is alright, has a couple of good ideas but could have been better. If I was going to remake it I'd keep the redhead and the rock star dude and bin the rest.
NiteFall
Metropolis (1927)

Interesting. It's easy to see how this has inspired an awful lot of film makers over the years, and it is an undeniably beautiful and (to me anyway) gripping film. I do agree with some of the critics that it should probably be shown at 18 rather than 24 fps, as some of the movement in it did seem distinctly odd as a result.
Julie
W.

A really interesting film. I heard reviews that said it was more sympathetic than you would expect, and they were correct. It really gives the impression that he's really just a bit of an idiot who's heart was mostly in the right place. Unfortunately, when your decisions impact the entire world, that's not enough. I really enjoyed it. The performances were excellent and the soundtrack was clever.
PrincessKate
^The ads at the cinema made me more interested in that than I expected to be.

THe Simpsons Movie is a bit rubbish isn't it? Has its moments but I would probably have enjoyed three separate episodes more.
The Bart's knob gag was priceless, though.
logger
Black Christmas 1974

Whilst it's easy to compare this to Halloween they are actually quite different films. I would be surprised if John Carpenter wasn't at least a little inspired by it, apart from the obvious similar storyline of a killer stalking young women there are also similar uses of the camera. But whereas Halloween is more of a tense thrill ride this is much more cruel and quite a lot creepier, with the camerawork, fine soundtrack and a story defined by human frailty and weakness creating an atmosphere to make your skin crawl. Even though it uses humour this is done to relieve the tension with the murders actually being quite nasty, although we don't really see anything, and are far from the 'ironic' splatter fests and Freudian penetrative killings for the Jason Generation to get its rocks off to. I suppose its main failing would be its rather plodding pace, especially compared to today's horror films but whilst it would be fare to call this a slasher flick it owes more to Psycho than to Texas Chainsaw. If that's not enough to inspire you to watch it for the fellas there's the pretty Olivia Hussey and Margot Kidder is a slice of cutey pie and for the ladies there's John Saxon, what more could you want?

I would recommend it but I have to say I find the thrills of Halloween more entertaining but this is definitely worth a watch.
Rebus
Munich

Better than expected, still a bit stylised and over-sympathetic for me but worth not channel surfing for.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Oct 17 2008, 10:30 PM) *
Metropolis (1927)

Interesting. It's easy to see how this has inspired an awful lot of film makers over the years, and it is an undeniably beautiful and (to me anyway) gripping film. I do agree with some of the critics that it should probably be shown at 18 rather than 24 fps, as some of the movement in it did seem distinctly odd as a result.

I wish the whole cut of that was still around, it was originally 4 hours long or something.

EDIT: Oh God yes!

On July 1, 2008, Berlin film experts announced that a 16mm reduction negative of the original cut of the film, which runs over 210 minutes in length, had been discovered in the archives of the film museum Museo del Cine in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The find has been authenticated by film experts working for ZEITmagazin. The print is badly scratched and will require considerable restoration before it is viewable. On July 3, 2008 the film with many lost scenes restored was shown to journalists in Argentina.

Passed from film distributor, to private collector, to an Art Foundation since 1928, The Museo del Cine received the copy of Metropolis in 1992, where it stayed 'undiscovered' in their archives. After hearing an anecdote by the cinema club manager, who years before had been surprised by how long a screening of this film had taken, the curator of the Museo del Cine and the director of the film department of the Museum of Latin American Art reviewed the film and discovered the missing scenes.

Online sources have reported that this footage will appear on a new DVD and Blu-ray to be released in 2009.
maian
Been to the cinema twice in two days to see films so that I can talk about them on the radio. If anyone wants to listen in this afternoon for more in depth reviews (hint hint) please do, otherwise here's the capsule reviews.

Die Welle - The Wave

Gripping and terrifying if a little ridiculous, though that can be forgive because it's more of a fable than anything. A great dramatisation of The Third Wave experiment carried out in an American high school in the 1960s. In both the experiment and the film, a teacher tries to demonstrate how regular Germans came under the sway of the Nazis by creating their own movement in which they are the leader and they instill basic ideas like community, discipline and a sense of superiority over non-Wave members. This quickly devolves into acts of vandalism and violence and goes completely out of the hands of the teacher.

It is a bit extreme, it's pretty obvious which of the students is going to be most easily caught up in the movement and will take it too far and you can see how it's all going to end, but other than that it's a brave film that has a terrific sense of dread running throughout.

Burn After Reading

Pretty funny in places but it's really all over the shop, lacking any real sense of cohesion or sense of what's going on. Admittedly, that's the point, one that the Coens point out through the use of J.K. Simmons' perplexed C.I.A. superior, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that it is ultimately a mess. Still, those bits that are funny are almost worth it.
Rua
Tut.

That's a shame about Burn. Such promise.
maian
I think that if they focused on one character more, say John Malkovich or George Clooney, then it would probably be much better. In the end they cast their net much too wide.
Crutch
QUOTE (Atara @ Oct 17 2008, 06:52 PM) *
Zodiac

It was ok.

Blasphemic!

30 Days of Night - Really well executed horror movie with quite interesting gore and splatter in it. And the Armani-model meets great white sharks type of vampires work for me superbly. In it's most intense moments (and there are a lot of these) it reminds me of an old-school John Carpenter movie with it's use of music, darkness and surprises.

And it's full of Nietsche as well.
logger
Tropic Thunder

A lot better than I was expecting, to be honest. I laughed a lot. Stiller and RDJ were great but I thought Black was a little wasted. Very funny and highly enjoyable with some great camerawork and editing making it look like a proper 'movie'.

QUOTE (maian @ Oct 18 2008, 11:25 AM) *
Burn After Reading

Just seeing the trailer really put me off this, it looked rubbish.
Rebus
Monster House

Quite a gem of a movie, was a lot better than expected and it was all down to the writing, brilliantly clever script and very funny, and all of the characters were great. The animation was good enough, nice motion capture but not the greatest detail in texture effects but still, a very minor niggle in a very enjoyable film. And some bits probably would have scared the crap out of me if I'd seen it as a seven year old.
monkeyman
I was amused by the bit where they go into the house and theres that hangy thingin the hallway and one of the boys asks what it is, the girl says it's an uvula, so the boy says "......oh so it's a girl house. Nice play on words I thought.
dandan
love liza - i thought you were more fucked up than i thought you were...

liza killed herself. her husband, wilson (philip seymour hoffman), is having a hard time coping, especially after he finds a letter with his name on, written by liza. afraid to open the letter and doing his best to avoid liza's mother, mary ann (kathy bates), wilson embraces the world of radio controlled vehicles and getting high off petrol...

written by philip seymour hoffman's older brother, gordy, the film is billed as a comic tragedy. and, it is. the film looks at wilson coping, rather poorly, with his loss, turning to getting ripped on petrol fumes and slowly becoming more distant and isolated from those around him. although, strangely, he finds himself pursuing a new life with some vigour; as an r.c. hobbyist, which just manages to keep him from going completely off the rails.

the film is, at times tragic, but it is also very funny at times as well. hoffman, in the first film where i've seen him as the lead, is as excellent as you'd expect, if you've seen any of his prior performances. also, a big shout for jack kehler, who is probably my favourite thing in the film, playing denny; the r.c. enthusiast who wilson becomes friends with. well, kinda...

good stuff.
Rebus
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 18 2008, 08:25 PM) *
Burn After Reading

Pretty funny in places but it's really all over the shop, lacking any real sense of cohesion or sense of what's going on. Admittedly, that's the point, one that the Coens point out through the use of J.K. Simmons' perplexed C.I.A. superior, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that it is ultimately a mess. Still, those bits that are funny are almost worth it.

I think that if they focused on one character more, say John Malkovich or George Clooney, then it would probably be much better. In the end they cast their net much too wide.

As well as being the whole point to the film, the compounding of misinformation, coincidences and mistaken identities is all tied up beautifully when taking into consideration what almost everybody's motives are: exactly what the fuck is going on. Every piece of information, or every action they take, is meaningful to them but utterly useless to everyone else, and where I've seen some calling the Coens' approach "patronising to the audience" I found it to be quite the opposite, as we know exactly what is going on, and it is thoroughly enjoyable to watch the chaos unfold.

The intricacy of the plot is on a par with the Big Lebowski; where all the complicated mess than ensues when The Dude gets his rug peed on, and all he wants is a new rug, so too Linda doesn't really care what information and secrets the "secret intelligence shit" holds or who buys it, so long as someone does and she can get her cosmetic surgery done. Not only is it brilliantly writte and very funny, but everyone plays their part magnificently, John Malcovich's casting is spot on and he takes on the role of the misanthropic, recently fired CIA analyst with relish.

I think the fact that the plot can only be driven by the part everyone plays in the whole complicated affair highlights that it would be impossible to focus on any one character, as the story would inevitably then go nowhere. Even still, all of the main contributors to the story are given their own depth and through their respective failings and lack of conscience we get to know them pretty well. This is especially so with Francis McDormand's character, Linda the gym worker who wants the cosmetic surgery. The Times reviewer said that too many characters become peripheral to the story because the Coens lose interest in them, which absolute bollocks. There are so many brilliantly realised characters who play their small part in this story, which is why the story is so complicated in the first place, but they all have equal share in bringing about the mess that plays out.

Too many comedies nowadays have a linear and predictable story where one protagonist is helped along by all their supporting characters to inevitably achieve their monotonous goal. The black comedy, and especially a Coens black comedy, always injects a nice dose of anarchy to the plot and disregard to the characters. Loved it.
logger
Dune

Shit.
maian
QUOTE (Rebus @ Oct 19 2008, 02:20 PM) *
As well as being the whole point to the film, the compounding of misinformation, coincidences and mistaken identities is all tied up beautifully when taking into consideration what almost everybody's motives are: exactly what the fuck is going on. Every piece of information, or every action they take, is meaningful to them but utterly useless to everyone else, and where I've seen some calling the Coens' approach "patronising to the audience" I found it to be quite the opposite, as we know exactly what is going on, and it is thoroughly enjoyable to watch the chaos unfold.

The intricacy of the plot is on a par with the Big Lebowski; where all the complicated mess than ensues when The Dude gets his rug peed on, and all he wants is a new rug, so too Linda doesn't really care what information and secrets the "secret intelligence shit" holds or who buys it, so long as someone does and she can get her cosmetic surgery done. Not only is it brilliantly writte and very funny, but everyone plays their part magnificently, John Malcovich's casting is spot on and he takes on the role of the misanthropic, recently fired CIA analyst with relish.

I think the fact that the plot can only be driven by the part everyone plays in the whole complicated affair highlights that it would be impossible to focus on any one character, as the story would inevitably then go nowhere. Even still, all of the main contributors to the story are given their own depth and through their respective failings and lack of conscience we get to know them pretty well. This is especially so with Francis McDormand's character, Linda the gym worker who wants the cosmetic surgery. The Times reviewer said that too many characters become peripheral to the story because the Coens lose interest in them, which absolute bollocks. There are so many brilliantly realised characters who play their small part in this story, which is why the story is so complicated in the first place, but they all have equal share in bringing about the mess that plays out.

Too many comedies nowadays have a linear and predictable story where one protagonist is helped along by all their supporting characters to inevitably achieve their monotonous goal. The black comedy, and especially a Coens black comedy, always injects a nice dose of anarchy to the plot and disregard to the characters. Loved it.

I'm going to completely disagree with you on this on pretty much every point. However, I will agree that it isn't patronising to the audience; it's too silly to be patronising.

I think the comparison to The Big Lebowski is spurious at best, ill-informed at worst. The reason that Lebowski works is that it is an elaborate parody/homage to the work of Raymond Chandler and the notion of the anti-plot; a plot which is so convoluted as to be rendered useless but which, in and of itself, is a means to an end for the author as they are then allowed to play with the characters. The Coens did this masterfully with Lebowski but, as far as I'm concerned, failed miserably at it with Burn After Reading.

With Burn After Reading, the plot is not convoluted enough to be inconsequential, it's actually pretty easy for the audience to follow because we know what everyone's motivations are, it's just the characters who don't. Likewise, the characters aren't interesting enough to justify the anti-plot and I personally didn't really care about them (with the exceptions of Chad, who seemed like a great 'little boy lost' character, and Ted, who was the only character in it that seemed to be terrible well-realised to me). What you end up with is a film that is so muddled that even the Coens seem to lose interest about 5 minutes from the end, deciding to just stop the film and have it all get cleared up in an onscreen conversation which, whilst entertaining in its own right, does not a good ending make.

I'm not saying it isn't funny, I'm just saying it's not consistent and The Coens, in this instance, are not clever enough to really make a decent argument for its own inconsistency. It's a collection of funny moments, but not a funny film. It wanders around like a tramp in high street; sporadically entertaining, but ultimately leaves you feeling cold.

It's anarchistic tendencies are to be commended (there was a moment in it where I genuinely went ''woah, I can't believe they did that''), I just feel that they do not redeem what is ultimately an unsatisfactory film.

In the end, it's little more than them and their mates having a laugh after doing something worthwhile, and I can forgive them for that as long as A Serious Man turns out to be a good film.
logger
Casino Royale

The most I've ever enjoyed it but that card game does sap the life out of you. Looking forward to the Something of Boris now.
dolfyn
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 20 2008, 04:19 AM) *
Dune

Shit.

laugh.gif
A very accurate review, there. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif
Crutch
Heat - Didn't watch it in years and it was even better and more tensed than I remembered it. Plus it was incredibly entertaining over the two and a half hours. Still the best action thriller ever.

The Doors - Still great and intense movie. Especially Kilmer's performance is thrilling. And it got loads of tits. Best conventiona bio-pic ever.

Love song for Bobby Long - Wonderful and enjoyable character piece with lots of drunken sexyness in it.

The Devil's Rejects - Gritty, grainy, brutla and really clever in terms of directing the viewer's sympathies. Blood and tits everywhere.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Crutch @ Oct 20 2008, 11:38 AM) *
Heat - Didn't watch it in years and it was even better and more tensed than I remembered it. Plus it was incredibly entertaining over the two and a half hours. Still the best action thriller ever.

The Doors - Still great and intense movie. Especially Kilmer's performance is thrilling. And it got loads of tits. Best conventiona bio-pic ever.

Love song for Bobby Long - Wonderful and enjoyable character piece with lots of drunken sexyness in it.

The Devil's Rejects - Gritty, grainy, brutla and really clever in terms of directing the viewer's sympathies. Blood and tits everywhere.

Just a theory, Crutch, but do you need some lovin', man?

I'm not offering, by the way, just aksing.
Crutch
Well I'm quite a lot loved in fact. But there's nothing wrong about being loved and having a twisted lust for blood, sleaze and bazongos.
Zoe
'Southland Tales'

I have no idea what it was about, but I enjoyed it, particularly Buffy and the Rock.
maian
Flags of Our Fathers (2006)

In some ways a lot better and more interesting than I thought it would be but still flawed. It works best when examining the ideas of myth versus reality, the importance of heroes to society versus the effect that such adulation has on people thrust into the limelight and the ludicrous extents that the U.S. army went to in order to exploit the surviving men who raised the flag on Iwo Jima. The non-linear structure certainly helps in that regard and it's to Clint Eastwood's credit that he manages to keep everything grounded so that it doesn't get as messy or confusing as some films do when they try this (La Vie En Rose springs to mind), but it does sag noticeably in the middle when the film focuses almost solely on the post-Iwo Jima bonds tour and the ideas begin to outweigh the drama. The first and final half hours do redeem this however, particularly since the latter makes such good use of Tom McCarthy, though my prior knowledge of his roles meant that I couldn't help but think that he was making it all up.

An ambitious film whose reach exceeds its grasp but which is all the more commendable for trying.
logger
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Oct 20 2008, 02:45 AM) *
laugh.gif
A very accurate review, there. happy.gif

I was going to write a proper review but then I thought who cares.

QUOTE (Crutch @ Oct 20 2008, 11:52 AM) *
bazongos.

Imagining you saying this in a German accent has made my day.
dandan
jail house eros - definitely not a "thriller"...

'jail house eros' has a slightly convoluted plot. it involves blackie (joanna chan), an inmate who wants to escape, rival gangs of inmates, led by maggie cheung (?) and chan git-leng, the head warden / chief inspector (stanley fung) and his on-off girlfriend / exorcist (pauline wong), the ghosts of a prison guard (ha chi-jan) an inmate (loletta lee), and three young chancers who are decorating part of the prison / trying to seduce the inmates (lau sek-yin, jeng gwan-chi and dickson lee). somehow, everything comes together in the end, though...

well, this is a bit of an odd, but ultimately fun film. it starts off like exploitative cat III girls in prison film, but soon changes to a ghost story and a comedy. strangely, it kinda works and is a fun watch.

fun...
dolfyn
QUOTE (Crutch @ Oct 20 2008, 09:52 PM) *
Well I'm quite a lot loved in fact. But there's nothing wrong about being loved and having a twisted lust for blood, sleaze and bazongos.

This made me giggle aloud at my work desk, which made my colleague next to me look at me. happy.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif
thirtyhelens
The Brave One

Damn. High hopes for this one, despite the mixed reviews, yet it really is kind of middling where it could be extraordinary. Jodie has a couple of remarkable moments and there's one scene w/ her and Terrence Howard in a diner toward the end that is phenomenal, but the script lets them down a lot; there are at least five or six lines in the film that literally made me groan out loud, and a few too many convenient conceits in the plot. I love the concept, the notion of examining what happens when the emotional response to trauma from a woman is to direct her rage outward rather than the textbook notion that most women turn it inwards onto themselves... it just doesn't land as many punches as it should. Shame. (On a purely shallow level, also, damned if Naveen Andrews isn't hot enough to kill over.)
Omniscia
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 19 2008, 01:19 PM) *
Dune

Shit.

But very pretty shit! Plus, you get to see Agent Cooper battle Captain Picard, if only for a moment.

For the most part, though, you're spot on.

QUOTE (thirtyhelens @ Oct 20 2008, 07:52 PM) *
The Brave One

Damn. High hopes for this one, despite the mixed reviews, yet it really is kind of middling where it could be extraordinary. Jodie has a couple of remarkable moments and there's one scene w/ her and Terrence Howard in a diner toward the end that is phenomenal, but the script lets them down a lot; there are at least five or six lines in the film that literally made me groan out loud, and a few too many convenient conceits in the plot. I love the concept, the notion of examining what happens when the emotional response to trauma from a woman is to direct her rage outward rather than the textbook notion that most women turn it inwards onto themselves... it just doesn't land as many punches as it should. Shame. (On a purely shallow level, also, damned if Naveen Andrews isn't hot enough to kill over.)

Now that was a dull movie.
logger
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Oct 21 2008, 03:18 AM) *
But very pretty shit!

I did like the overall design and the sets were good but they were so poorly lit.
Flame7581
I saw Max Payne this weekend.. For what it was, I liked it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.