Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
maian
QUOTE (Rebus @ Oct 13 2010, 12:44 AM) *
Four Lions

Kevin Eldon and Darren Boyd's argument about what constitutes a bear was simply hilarious.

That bit was filmed on the roof of my work, though we didn't know that until someone came in and said, "You do know there are armed police on your roof, don't you?" One of the senior management types got quite panicked at that.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 12 2010, 12:55 PM) *
What's the first thing they do when they start up their anarchist organisation? The fucking rules.

It made fighting gay.

Anarchists don't like leaders, not rules.

QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 12 2010, 12:58 PM) *
Fighting's always been gay. Ooooooo punch me

I once slept with a guy who had done bare knuckle boxing. He told me that the bare knuckle boxers would often be happy to have sex with each other afterwards.
mcraigclark
Bronson

I expected this to be less entertaining than it was. Tom Hardy does a fantastic job with the role.
Serafina_Pekkala
Where Eagles Dare
Banging good film with amazing mountains, old-fashioned scary uncool Nazis who speak like zeees, a rousing soundtrack and sexy Ingrid Pitt in a dirndl. Officially your dad's favourite movie. And you dad is right. Richard Burton looks like he would punch someone at any moment - he probably would do just that. So he is perfect as the crazy maverick Major. Clint Eastwood being laconic and handsome as only he could circa 1969. Michael Hordern and Patrick Wymark! And the supporting baddies are the best calibre of cartoon rent-a-Nazis - like the creepy blonde bloke with the funny lip from the Comic Strip movies (who always plays the Gestapo) and one who looks like Adolf Eichmann. They even have a dude with an monocle and Iron Cross as well as Fraulein Rottermeyer style evil bitch with a ridiculous hair (Cloris Leachman must have taken inspiration in Young Frankenstein). I should have watched this on a Sunday afternoon with a hangover - oh well.
Ade
Tais Toi! (Shut Up!) (2003)

French farce starring Gerard Depardieu and Jean Reno as a mis-matched pair of escaped convicts, and jolly good fun it is too. I haven't seen a fart gag delivered with such unabashed glee in I don't know how long.

Fart jokes aside, it made me laugh out loud on numerous other occasions. Reno and Depardieu make a great pairing; Depardieu's endearingly dumb-ass petty thief is an incessant chatterbox who is oblivious to all negativity, constantly set 100% on making friends with anyone and everyone. He also has a mighty left hook. He proves to be a great comic foil to Reno's seemingly impenetrable (and increasingly exasperated) tough guy.

Loved it.
dandan
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 13 2010, 12:00 PM) *
Where Eagles Dare
Banging good film with amazing mountains, old-fashioned scary uncool Nazis who speak like zeees, a rousing soundtrack and sexy Ingrid Pitt in a dirndl. Officially your dad's favourite movie. And you dad is right. Richard Burton looks like he would punch someone at any moment - he probably would do just that. So he is perfect as the crazy maverick Major. Clint Eastwood being laconic and handsome as only he could circa 1969. Michael Hordern and Patrick Wymark! And the supporting baddies are the best calibre of cartoon rent-a-Nazis - like the creepy blonde bloke with the funny lip from the Comic Strip movies (who always plays the Gestapo) and one who looks like Adolf Eichmann. They even have a dude with an monocle and Iron Cross as well as Fraulein Rottermeyer style evil bitch with a ridiculous hair (Cloris Leachman must have taken inspiration in Young Frankenstein). I should have watched this on a Sunday afternoon with a hangover - oh well.

it is all kinds of brilliant...

the blonde bloke with the funny lip is one of my fave number twos in 'the prisoner'...

"and here i am, talking about silly things, like dusseldorf..."
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (dandan @ Oct 13 2010, 02:48 PM) *
"and here i am, talking about silly things, like dusseldorf..."

"I remember it being on the other side of the square ..."

Yeah - he didn't buy her story, did he? Classic performance despite terrible hair. He was General Galtieri in the Comic Strip one about the Falklands too. His name (i see) is Derren Nesbitt. Not Derren Von Braun.
dandan
equilibrium - what's the point of your existence?

after being ravaged by a third world war, the majority of human life lives in a big city, drugged up to the eyeballs on prozium: a drug which suppresses emotions and allows people to lead a drone-like peaceful existence. life is quiet, apart from the incessant drone of father's (sean pertwee) video broadcasts which seem to permeate every corner of the city with their annoying crap. luckily people are so drugged up, that their lives are not ruined by this, although some people don't take the drugs!!!

these people commit "sense crimes" and do wild things like sit around listening to music, looking at paintings and reading poetry. luckily there are a bunch of highly trained, heavily armed grammaton clerics who seek out and slaughter these wrong doers. one such cleric is preston (christian bale), a textbook automaton and, as such, highly respected. if you haven't already guessed, one day something happens which makes preston question this world in which he lives: maybe it's time he had a feel?

now, for some reason i'd always given this film a pretty wide berth; i now have the knowledge that my brain must've known more than it was letting on and it was protecting me from watching such a turd. really, i'm just not sure where to start...

for a film about feeling and art (you know, stuff which inspires feeling) being suppressed, there's an awful lot of feeling and art on show, people seem to be wearing heavily stylised clothing, there's an awful lot of aesthetically minded architecture and there's even art and sculpture knocking around in the office of father's number two. oh, and most of it looks rather cheap. i could go on...

then, there's the totally unbelievable transformation of preston from goonish robot to feeling freedom fighter, performed by christian bale with all the acting prowess of joey tribbiani. he sucks.

then, there's the 'gun katas', which have an interesting concept behind them but just look a little silly and are executed in a way that seems to suck out all the fun of two-gun action - surely the most damning indictment of the film? or, maybe it's just that fact that it uses every double-bluffing, triple-bluffing, cheap plot device and every trite visual cue possible in its running time?

i'm quite confident that this film will come to be classed as a 'golden turkey' in the future, but for now, unless you want to laugh at something for being so bad, that it's funny, then give this a miss.

bad, really bad.
Raven
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 13 2010, 03:45 PM) *
"I remember it being on the other side of the square ..."

Yeah - he didn't buy her story, did he? Classic performance despite terrible hair. He was General Galtieri in the Comic Strip one about the Falklands too. His name (i see) is Derren Nesbitt. Not Derren Von Braun.

A line that always stuck in my head was Burton's comment about not being able to taste cold coffee - bollocks you can't!
logger
Clerks
Mallrats
Chasing Amy

I wish I hadn't watched Mallrats and Chasing Amy. They're alright for what they are but they don't have the charm of a film made by an amateur with his mates.
dandan
i have rewatched 'moon' and 'v for vendetta' recently; both very good...
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (dandan @ Oct 14 2010, 10:21 AM) *
'v for vendetta' recently;

Portman - BOO. Weaving - YAY. I love a bit of Weaving I do.

Charlotte Grey
Do you want to see a film set in France and supposedly featuring French people yet made by people with no connection or knowledge of the culture? Aussie Gillian Armstrong may as well have set the movie in Nazi occupied Norfolk - which is kinda what she did considering the actors all come from British TV. Even that detective Wycliff pops up. I'm surprise they didn't lynch her in Cannes for this. Hannibal is more authentic. Chocolat is more authentic.

And I also blame Sebastian Faulks in part because - as his posh name would indicate - he represents the whole novel of pretentiousness that brings me in hives. "Oh look it's set in the Dordogne. We went there last year, didn't we darling? The lavender fields and the bread - just sublime." The sort of people my sister wanted to stab to death in France - in the cheese aisle in Carrefour. I tried reading a chapter and just ... couldn't. If I'm watching this kind of drama, it has to have tastefully-lit Ralph Fiennes in khaki pants and having sex against a wall. Or it's just torture.

Anyway - cold drip Charlotte (Cate making the most of her meagre character rations here - she is a trooper) meets a man on a train. One the blokes from 4 Weddings in fact. She can speak French fluently apparently. You wouldn't know this because everyone speaks English - yet with a slight Radio4 play French accent. Thankfully - Tarantino has stopped all this kind of thing in it's tracks now. Anyway - she goes to a book launch and meets Rupert Penpal-Jones. They nauseatingly fall in love. He goes away but she luuuuuurves him so much that she goes to France to be with him. Occupied France. As a courier. Hugely dangerous but she is in love. Blah blah meets unconvincing French peasants like obviously American Billy Crudup blah blah rescues photogenic Jewish children blah blah Michael Gambon lives in a big farmhouse blah oh know they take the Jews away blah blah collaborators. The rest is not worth saying. Needless to say drippy Charlotte survives and that. Watch Au Revoir, Les Enfants instead.

Sophie Scholl – The Final Days
In contrast - this German film about the real life anti-Nazi campaigner shames the above entirely. Young student Sophie and her friends are part of a pacifist student group in 1940s war-bombed Munich. They distribute leaflets at great risk. Sophie and her brother, Hans are caught and a battle of wills with the police interrogator begins. Even under immense duress, you do not doubt her sheer strength of will one bit. The fact that this is based on actual transcripts is also amazing and tragic. Needless to say the end is very upsetting but the legacy of White Rose Freedom movement is still alive in Germany today so some good has come from her sacrifice. Julia Jentsch is wonderfully steely and intense as the lead character and antidote to Faulk's character. The actress is like a cross between Charlotte Gainsbourg, Claire Danes and Kelly McDonald too - so has great screen presence and won best actress at several film festivals. The drama follows the numbers but overall, a great movie.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 13 2010, 12:00 PM) *
Where Eagles Dare

I seen him in a play based on a film where Audrey Hepburn plays a blind lady and the girl who's breasts caught on fire in Footballer's Wives did the Hepburn role. He was very scary and menacing.

QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Oct 14 2010, 11:25 AM) *
Sophie Scholl The Final Days
In contrast - this German film about the real life anti-Nazi campaigner shames the above entirely. Young student Sophie and her friends are part of a pacifist student group in 1940s war-bombed Munich. They distribute leaflets at great risk. Sophie and her brother, Hans are caught and a battle of wills with the police interrogator begins. Even under immense duress, you do not doubt her sheer strength of will one bit. The fact that this is based on actual transcripts is also amazing and tragic. Needless to say the end is very upsetting but the legacy of White Rose Freedom movement is still alive in Germany today so some good has come from her sacrifice. Julia Jentsch is wonderfully steely and intense as the lead character and antidote to Faulk's character. The actress is like a cross between Charlotte Gainsbourg, Claire Danes and Kelly McDonald too - so has great screen presence and won best actress at several film festivals. The drama follows the numbers but overall, a great movie.

Did I tell you how much I want to see this? I told someone very recently.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Oct 14 2010, 11:39 AM) *
I seen him in a play based on a film where Audrey Hepburn plays a blind lady and the girl who's breasts caught on fire in Footballer's Wives did the Hepburn role. He was very scary and menacing.

Bloody hell this sounds terrifying! The Hepburn movie was bad enough.

Did I tell you how much I want to see this? I told someone very recently.

Not me. But it is a good film so you should.
dandan

portman is adequate. she suits a shaved head. still, it is all about the weaving. i fell for him, as a ten year old, when i watched bodyline...

The actress is like a cross between Charlotte Gainsbourg, Claire Danes and Kelly McDonald too

yowser... quite a triumvirate...
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (dandan @ Oct 14 2010, 01:29 PM) *
yowser... quite a triumvirate...

And a bit Franke Potente too. She was also in The Edukators.
Zoe
I quite fancy Franke Potente.

I think it's the Bourne sex. I fancy everyone in that scene.
Serafina_Pekkala
It was super hot.

I liked Marie a lot. Much better than Nicki. Although - I do feel for her plight. To be that close to the Damonator and also - so far and full of longing for his broken soul and toned forearms. No wonder she looked miserable at the time. Like a sad Persian cat.

Poor Nicki.
Ade
QUOTE (dandan @ Oct 14 2010, 01:29 PM) *
portman is adequate. she suits a shaved head. still, it is all about the weaving. i fell for him, as a ten year old, when i watched bodyline...

I never saw that, although I caught the Weaving fever (Weaver?) when I saw the excellent The Dirtwater Dynasty four years later.

eta: which, as it turns out is now available on DVD, albeit pricey import though, poops.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 14 2010, 02:50 PM) *
I never saw that, although I caught the Weaving fever (Weaver?) when I saw the excellent The Dirtwater Dynasty four years later.

Hugo and Sam Neill were kings of the mini-series a while back. Aussies don't do them as much now. Shame cos I would always watch them.

Every man should have a man-crush on teh Weavings. He is king of the Elves after all.
sweetbutinsane

This. Portman's accent made me sad. Weaving was very good, but I still didn't like the film overall.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Weaving's accent makes him sound a bit like Rowan Atkinson.
logger
King of Kong

Still gets me after all this time.
Sean of the Dead
The Social Network
Brilliant. One of Fincher's best, and certainly the one I found most easy to really enjoy.
Hobbes
Jackass 3D

More nutshots than I've ever seen in an hour and a half span. In other words: amazing.
maian
All The President's Men

I decided to rewatch this after reading "Woodstein's" original book and it was a markedly different experience from the first time since I had a much greater sense of who a lot of the people were. Obviously, you can enjoy the film without that knowledge, I certainly did the first time around, but it allowed me to focus more on the craft and performances than on trying to figure out the details. I was particularly impressed with how the script managed to work small details about the reporters and their investigation into the dialogue without it feeling obvious. That Goldman's a smart cookie.

I did find the ending unsatisfying in much the same way that I found the ending of The Social Network unsatisfying. In both cases, it's not the fault of the fim-makers, but the fact that both try to tell personal stories that comment on a broader subject, and the personal stories don't necessarily have easy endings. For example, the hundred-plus pages of the book that the film leaves out consist of Woodward and Bernstein going back over their old sources and slowly building their case again, which is obviously less compelling than their initial discovery and the possibility that their lives might be in danger. You'd have to watch the same film twice, so the "typewriter" ending makes much more sense.

Mississippi Burning

The story of two FBI agents (Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe) who are sent to a small town in Mississippi in 1964 to investigate the disappearance of three Civil Rights activists (two white, one black) only to encounter a town full of secrecy, corruption and hate.

Some parts of the story feel terribly rote, such as Hackman's character developing a romantic relationship with Frances McDormand, who plays the wife of the town's deputy (Brad Dourif) but the film triumphs not as a thriller, but as a portrait of a community willing to do anything to preserve their way of life. Alan Parker does a really terrific job of creating a sense that the agents are hitting a wall that they just can't get over, and in doing so asking what is the acceptable response to evil; follow the rules, or break them.

The cast is great - alongside those already mentioned you've got R. Lee Ermey as the Mayor and Stephen Tobolowsky as the head of the local KKK - and it's a really well-made, intelligent film that is also really thrilling.

A Town Called Panic

Mental madcap Belgian animation from the team behind the TV series of the same name and, perhaps more relevant to British viewers, the Cravendale adverts. The plot consists of lots of "and thens" which makes it sound like the work of a hyperactive seven-year old's imagination (and then the Indian and the Cowboy and the Horse fall down into a cave and then they climb out and they are in the Arctic and then they see a giant penguin robot controlled by mad scientists who are creating giant snowballs which they throw across the world) which makes it kind of exhausting at only 75 minutes, but also gives it an energy and invention that is rare.

It's not "funny" in the way that Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs (the film it reminded me the most of) is, but there's a level of detail and a sense of warped logic to the film that is really entertaining and there are a few laugh out load moments and the whole thing is charming enough. You might want to pop a Valium before watching it, though.
dandan
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 16 2010, 11:08 AM) *
A Town Called Panic

i have a ticket to see this at the film festival next month...
logger
Solaris

Solaris is an almost impossible film to remake because it's the flaws that make it so special as its ambitions far outreach its limitations, so when Soderbergh attempts to polish out the flaws he takes away the very things that people remember it for. And many minus points for not having a boxer dog in it.

Soderbergh should make fewer, better films because whilst he hasn't really made anything terrible he has never come close o matching the potential he showed with Sex, Lies and Videotape.
Serafina_Pekkala
The Social Network - No more Mr Nice-Nerd

A great movie. Aaron Sorkin perfectly captured the snotty contempt and ego-masturbation that is the "Harvard thing' (lots of Ivy League places are like this unfortunately). SO much to quote. Bless you Sorkinman. Fincher, as with Zodiac and Fight Club, proves once again he is the Duke of Structuring and Pace. Few can compare. Excellent soundtrack too from Trent Reznor - yes him! Jesse Eisenberg is perfect as hateful Asperger's kid and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg. All the cast were acers - even Justin Tinkleface as sleazer shit-monger, Sean Parker. Andrew Garfield was also superb as Eduardo bu And I didn't realise the Winklevii (JK ROwling couldn't make them up) weren't twins till the end. The women were treated with scorn - including the chick playing Lisbeth Salander (who was ace) - but there are some amusing and truthful observations too. Like Jewish Men/Asian Women thing - which is true. I'm looking forward to the Stieg Larsson films now - cos Fincher may make them actually good!

Winter's Bone - Shitsville never looked so cold.

Ree (Jennifer Lawrence - who looks like a Russian model) is superb in this movie about a girl with a shitty family, left to raise herself and her siblings. She lives in the Meth mountains of Somewhere, Missouri - where everyone is cousins. A spooky, alien place I never wish to visit ever - not even for banjo music and squirrel pie. People keep mentioning David Lynch with this film and I can see that (Sheryl Lee!) but without any of the occasional joy and genuine absurd humour of Lynch. There is no brevity in this movie and it is pretty unrelenting. Also, I keep hearing about the 'humanity' of the piece in review. It was all rather detached and cold - which is the point I guess - so you only care about Ree. Most everyone else is hard as said titular bone - clannish, misogynistic, cruel and pitiful. One croney woman is the stuff of nightmares. Although some people turn out to be not-entirely-evil like the flinty-hearted terrifying uncle, Teardrop (played by sweetheart Sol Starr from Deadwood) who looks like a cross between Harry Dean Stanton and Charles Manson. Apparently locals were used and you can definitely tell them from the actors - mainly because they are 150 pounds heavier and downright funny looking. Something to see if you are in a good mood.

Made in Dagenham - I remember when this was all fields.

A nostalgic look back at a real story of how the female factory workers at Ford managed to change their lives in the face of adversity. Sally Hawkins is great at the reluctant ringleader, Rita. Bob Hoskins was ace too too - looking more and more like a Soviet General but nice to see him back on screen again. A lovely uplifting tale and the perfect antidote to crazy mountain people and even the council estate from Fishtank looked cheery in comparison. Once again - a great ensemble cast and boppy soundtrack. Although the actual footage at the end shows the factory workers looked more like Pat Butcher than Jaime Winstone in her hotpants or Andrea Riseborough in the Ronson video for 'Valerie'. Still - it wasn't meant to be a documentary and I enjoyed it. And makes me realise how much this country changed during the 80s. And how bastard companies just go to India and China now - when they need people to work machines. I wonder if they get equal pay? Anyway - films like this also remind me that I really did grow up in East Berlin after all. I remember people calling each other 'Comrade' and that. Speaking of which, it was nice to see Miranda was playing my Auntie Pat and dishing out Tucker-esque bollockings. Basically - me in 20 years time. I doubt I will be Secretary of State though (you never know).
omni
The Town - The Snore. Affleck has a good visual sensibility and really should move behind the camera completely, because he cannot act. At all. Like not even a little. Movie needed to hold closer to the opening concept, and have a modicum of respect for a woman's ability to think rationally.
Raven
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
Star Trek IV: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek: Generations
Star Trek: First Contact

Guess which channel I was watching this weekend?

And then, for a bit of a change:

Sahara

Should have been the first in a series, I would like to see more of this version of Dirk Pitt and Co!
Sostie
STARCRASH
A late 70's Italian Star Wars cash-in that evolves into something closer to Barbarella. There are many many similarities to Star Wars, but they are surpassed by the general badness of the film - bad effects, script, plot logic, delivery of lines, editing etc etc. Yet despite all this it's all rather endearing. This is the type of badness I like in bad film. I'd much rather watch a "bad" film by a film maker that genuinely tries, but perhaps is a little over ambitious with regard to talent and/or budget, than the deliberately"ooh look aren't we soooo bad" shite such as the Mega Shark/Giant Octopus/Octo Shark etc etc films.

The film stars the gorgeous cult favourite Caroline Munro, an ex child preacher with a blonde perm and, in his first film, David Hasselhoff, and damn he was pretty. The producers also maneged to hire John Barry to do the Bond-esque score.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 18 2010, 08:14 PM) *
STARCRASH

No wonder you watched it.

I could get a more different film to review if I tried ... oh well -

Der Untergang (Downfall)

An amazing film. One of the best I've seen about WW2. I don't understand the criticism that the portrayal of Hitler by Bruno Ganz (as Wim Wenders said) was sympathetic. Interesting this kind of criticism came from within Germany and not outside. I think Ganz was just uncomfortably convincing for some - he got the raspy Austrian voice to utter perfection and also, the power behind the speech. But Uncle A-dolph was also shown as a cruel, self-absorbed, ranting, deluded, paranoid monster and a really, really bad General. But he was nice to his dog and his secretary. You can't ever feel sympathy for this person but you get a better understanding why he got away with so much. And I don't believe you can't brush over the blind devotion he inspired in his desperate followers. It happened. The Third Reich was more than one man. You also see that showed not an ounce of compassion for the 'civilians' because there every in a legitimate target in war and compassion is weakness (his words). Hence he refused to evacuate Berlin and millions suffered the consequences. It happened and it should be shown. I also think the film portrays the cold and blinkered views of National Socialism ideals in a very authentic manner too. Magda Goebbels and her murdered children especially show this heartless self-importance in a very chilling way.

The film is a probably a bit too much Martin Bormann's Celebrity Golf All-Star Nazi Showbiz 11 (to quote Alexie Sayle). Oh look - it's the fat bloke from Black Book as Bormann! And that sexy German dude who always plays murderers as Eva Braun's brother in law! And the bald bloke from Flame & Citron and Inglourious Basterds. Not really the fault of the actors but perhaps the acting community is really that small. Alexandra Maria Lara gets the naivety of Traudl Junge (Hitler's secretary) very well - she truly is the German Kelly Macdonald. But my only criticism is that the experience of the women in the bunker - at the end - was very unrealistic. Those who escaped (including Junge and other women) didn't bicycle away to happiness after all - they were captured and probably raped by the Russians as were millions of women in Berlin. The smiling in the sunshine was unhelpful. But that aside - it was pretty amazing and is up there with my top 5.
Llama
Just finished watching Snow Cake on my tour of Alan Rickman films, and thoroughly enjoyed it, which I wasn't expecting. I didn't think it would be my kind of film at all, but I'd recommend it to anyone. Sigourney Weaver puts in a great performance.
Ade
QUOTE (Llama @ Oct 19 2010, 08:46 PM) *
Just finished watching Snow Cake on my tour of Alan Rickman films, and thoroughly enjoyed it, which I wasn't expecting. I didn't think it would be my kind of film at all, but I'd recommend it to anyone. Sigourney Weaver puts in a great performance.

Cool, glad to hear it has a seal of approval, it's been on my secondary 'must watch' list for a while. Thanks for the reminder.
Llama
QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 19 2010, 10:09 PM) *
Cool, glad to hear it has a seal of approval, it's been on my secondary 'must watch' list for a while. Thanks for the reminder.

Get to it, sir! And make sure you come back once you've watched it to read this spoiler so I have someone to mention it to: How jarring was the car crash?!
jem
Let Me In - Was alright, but I'd take the original over it.
James Fresco
Evil Dead 1 and 2 never seen them but watched them by recommendation from Mr. Pegg and Wright. have to say the lo-fi really works and at some points is genuinely scary!

Stil reallllly want to see Let Me In and Burke And Hare
Rebus
QUOTE (jem @ Oct 21 2010, 06:30 AM) *
Let Me In

QUOTE (James Fresco @ Oct 21 2010, 07:07 AM) *
Stil reallllly want to see Let Me In

Yeah, avoid Let Me In and catch Let the Right One In instead. the former is pointless and seems to be simply made for people who don't like subtitles. I can figure out no other reason it was made.

A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A rather kinky tale of survival.

Based on a story by the quite brilliant Harlan Ellison, this film sees Vic (Don Johnson) travelling around a post-apocalyptic Arizona wasteland looking to get laid. To help him in this quest he has Blood, his companion dog that he can speak with telepathically (just go with it). Blood helps him seek out women by using some kind of psychosocial sonar, while Vic hunts down food for the both of them. Unfortunately Vic is successful in his search for sex and when they run into Quilla June Holmes (Susanne Benton), their partnership begins to show cracks.

The first two thirds of this are simply great. The writing is brilliant (as I expected it to be) and the play between man and dog works very well, with Blood constantly correcting Vic's grammar and tutting at his hot-headed stupidity as they travel through the wasteland. There was so much potential for this to be one of the best apocalyptic scifi movies ever, as all the elements of a brilliantly realised environment, and a vast array of vile and ruthless characters were there. However when Vic goes into the Down under (no, not Australia/NZ) that is located underground of the wasteland, things started to get weird. The plot went off on such a strange Kubrickian tangent that for a little while it takes you right out of the whole thing. When it gets back on track again then it's much too late. Plus I'd love to have seen exactly what the Screamers looked like, they sounded horrific.

Still, if you like your tales of post-apocalyptia then give it a go.
Sostie
QUOTE (Rebus @ Oct 20 2010, 10:50 PM) *
Yeah, avoid Let Me In and catch Let the Right One In instead. the former is pointless and seems to be simply made for people who don't like subtitles. I can figure out no other reason it was made.

Despite adoring the original I really want to see Let Me In, mainly because from what I've seen so far it seems to have taken more from the novel than the first film did. Plus, it's good to see the return of Hammer Films.

QUOTE (Rebus @ Oct 20 2010, 10:50 PM) *
A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A bona fide classic.

MUTANTS
A couple escape to the French wilderness and hole up in an abandoned hospital after a Rage-like virus wipes most of the population. A pretty good, gritty addition to the ever growing library of interesting/impressive Euro Horror. Ignoring certain characteristics of the virus, this would make a passable companion piece/unofficial spin-off to 28 Weeks Later.
James Fresco
I've seen Let The Right One In, I just want to see what Matt Reeves had done with it.
NiteFall
Knight And Day

Bad in almost every conceivable way.
logger
The Social Network

Sloppy. The dialogue was terrible, the characters ridiculous, the script was laboured with every plot point and metaphor sign posted and the narrative was so unsuited to the subject matter that it bordered on parody. I'm looking forward to the Community version with Abed talking faster and faster and faster.
maian
We Are What We Are (2010)

In Mexico, an old man falls down in the street, black liquid falling from his mouth, and dies. His family are understandably devastated by the news, not because he was their father, but because he was the key to their monthly ritual; he was the one who went out and kidnapped people so that his family could kill them and eat their flesh. Life's tough for cannibals with no one to lead them.

I saw this as the opening film to a horror festival that myw work is hosting and the curator described it as "Let The Right One In, but with someone getting lifted up with a meat hook by their face," and that's a pretty fair assessment of the film. Jorge Michel Grau's film treats its sensationalist material very (sometimes too) seriously, in doing so creating a really uneasy atmosphere as the family try to find victims whilst also trying to come to terms with the simmering resentments and feelings that have been bubbling under all their lives.

It takes a while to get to the "horror" aspect of the story, for most part building tension and dynamics, but laying the groundwork like that means that when the film's gran guignol final third kicks in, you feel as invested in the family and the people trying to catch them, setting up a moral question at the end of the movie for the children ("what kind of life do you want to live?") and for the audience ("who do you want to see make it to the end of the film?")

It has some problems, most of which are from a narrative point of view. The two cops investigating the family often feel like a device included solely so that someone can enter the family's house at the end and set up some easy jump-scares, and the film doesn't really explain why the family do what they do, it just takes as read that they do it. Personally, I can overlook those flaws because the film as a whole is so enjoyable and interesting, but the film never resolves them.

It's not the best film about cannibals (which is Ravenous, of course) but it's a really good horror film that also works on an emotional and character level.
Ade
Watching the rather sweet The Darjeeling Limited yesterday, I realised that I need to invest in some of The Kinks' back catalogue.
Julie
QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 24 2010, 07:36 AM) *
Watching the rather sweet The Darjeeling Limited yesterday, I realised that I need to invest in some of The Kinks' back catalogue.

I adore this movie, and it made me do the same.
Ade
QUOTE (Julie @ Oct 24 2010, 12:45 PM) *

I've also been humming 'Les Champs- Elysees' all day so far.

So glad I finally watched the film, it was considerably more affecting than I was expecting it to be.
PrincessKate
It was Robert Downey Jr night at my place last night:

Tuff Turf
It's the 80's, James Spader is the WASP bad boy new kid in town being picked on by the rough LA native gang leader and lusting after his girlfriend from Escape to Witch Mountain with ultra-crimped waist length hair. RDJ drums topless at one point. These are the facts, it is also inexplicably an 18 certificate. There are a gazillion fights and not once does anyone end it with a judicious knee to the balls.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Val Kilmer is the Gay Detective you never knew you wanted til you saw this film. There are boobs, and deaths and fights, one of which does end with a knee to the balls

Sherlock Holmes
Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels only with steam and no dildoes. Awesome.
Ade
The Social Network

Very good indeed and thoroughly absorbing, but I wouldn't say it's Fincher's absolute best. Probably #3 though.
Sostie
QUOTE (Julie @ Oct 24 2010, 12:45 PM) *

It gets better with each viewing.

A Serious Man
It's entertaining for the most part, well acted and written, but the lack of any satisfying conclusion left me feeling a bit cold. For me, the least of all the Coen Brothers films

Face/Off
Infanticide, Catholicism, violence, slo-mo, revenge, doves, infidelity, Greek mythology, terrorism, identity crisis, dumb science..this is either the biggest pile of tosh ever or one of the greatest action movies ever...or both. Two leads and a director at the top of their game, it was good to watch again after a gap of a few years. File under: "Bonkers"
I just read who were (allegedly) lined up for the leads before Cage & Travolta: Schwarzenegger and Stallone (in a plot set in the future!) , Jean Claude van damme and Steven Seagal, Harrison Ford and Michael Douglas and Al Pacino and Robert De Niro. I think they went with the right choice

Wrong Turn 3
A prison transport crashes in the wilderness and the guards/escapees are hunted down by a cannibal hill-billy. A bit like the Saw films but without the god-awful philosophising - you're just waiting for the next trap to appear. An American sequel to an American film populated almost entirely by a British cast. Odd. Overall, all a bit "meh".

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.