Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
Raven
^ Yep, that was what fooled me (as well as the text on the DVD sleeve that said it was in English).
maian
QUOTE (Raven @ May 1 2011, 01:53 AM) *
^ Yep, that was what fooled me (as well as the text on the DVD sleeve that said it was in English).

I hate it when DVD packaging features blatant lies like that; dubbing is not the same as being in English!
logger
One Day In September

I was a bit thrown by the use of The Beta Band.
maian
Bird With The Crystal Plummage (1970)

Dario Argento's debut about an American writer who finds himself caught up in the investigation of a serial killer after he interrupts one of the attacks. Not as hallucinatory or creepy as Suspiria, but a thoroughly enjoyable thriller that's beautifully shot and chock full of great setpieces. Highlights; the attack that the hero interrupts, whilst not that spectacular, ends with him being trapped between two panes of glass and forced to look on as the victim tries to crawl towards him and is pretty chilling; a night time chase through the streets of Rome and a bus depot; and a final chase which makes great use of pitch blackness.

The Claim (2000)

Western adapted from a Thomas Hardy novel (The Mayor of Casterbridge) in which Peter Mullen plays the founder of a pioneer town who invites the railroad company (represented by Wes Bentley) to survey the land around it in the hopes that they will build the railroad, in doing so turning his little town into a new city. Things begin to unravel when the wife and child (Natassja Kinski and Sarah Polley) he abandoned years before show up in town. As he tries to make amends, other forces begin to conspire against him.

Michael Winterbottom's film is pretty big and ambitious film that combines the scale of something like Deadwood (and, oddly, Fitzcarraldo) with a more intimate study of Mullen's life and the aching sadness that he feels about the decisions he made in order to become who he is. The first hour is dedicated to getting the characters - which also include Mullen's common law wife, played by Milla Jovovich and Shirley Henderson as one of the prostitutes that works for her - in place for the second hour, which is all betrayal, destruction and heartbreak. It's a combination that works well, deepening the tragedy of the end of the film considerably.

Pretty great.
GundamGuy_UK
Thor

I went in not expecting a great deal after never really caring about the comic character and being told the movie was shit by colleagues at work. And I bloody loved every second of it. It was great to have a different kind of superhero movie, it was hilarious in parts, well acted by all (even Portman, who usually I can't stand), it looked and sounded great. Thorsome.
maian
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ May 2 2011, 08:36 PM) *
Thor

I went in not expecting a great deal after never really caring about the comic character and being told the movie was shit by colleagues at work. And I bloody loved every second of it. It was great to have a different kind of superhero movie, it was hilarious in parts, well acted by all (even Portman, who usually I can't stand), it looked and sounded great. Thorsome.

It is bloody great. All the Thor-on-Earth stuff had me in stitched. I particularly liked the exchange that went something like this:

"I need a horse!"
"We don't sell horses. Just cats, dogs and birds."
"Well, give me one large enough to ride."
Raven
Kick Ass

Can one potty-mouthed, ultra-violent eleven year girl carry a film? It certainly seems that way!

A lot of nice touches and twists on the usual superhero concepts, but also somehow, slightly flat.

Still mostly enjoyable, though.

Also, I must be getting old, 'cause I'm sure films with this level of violence got 18 certificates when I was younger!
logger
Films with that kind of language got 18 certificates back in the day, never mind the violence.
maian
Profondo Rosso (1975)

Another Argento film, this time about a British man (played by David Hemmings) who finds himself caught up in the investigation of a serial killer after he stumbles across one of the victims. It repeats a lot of the story beats of Bird With The Crystal Plummage, right down to the location of a building important to the killer being discovered through its connection to a rare flora or fauna, but the whole package is a lot more slickly put together. Argento had clearly learned a lot in the five years between the films and his technique is much more assured and distinctly his, with more ostentatious camerawork and a much stronger emphasis on macabre humour. The murders are also really, luridly gruesome, which makes them more disturbing than I thought they would be.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (maian @ May 2 2011, 08:41 PM) *
It is bloody great. All the Thor-on-Earth stuff had me in stitched. I particularly liked the exchange that went something like this:

"I need a horse!"

Yeah, those bits were great!
"You dare attack the son of Odin!?" etc
Raven
Withnail and I

Whilst I can see a certain charm to the film, and quotable lines are two a penny, I found the whole experience slightly underwhelming.
Sostie
Let There Be Light: The Odyssey of Dark Star
Feature length documentary about the making of John Carpenter's first feature Dark Star. It has extensive interviews with some of the cast and crew, but sadly only archive footage of Dan O'Bannon and archive audio of Carpenter. A interesting insight into the problems met and invention used to make a cult classic that launched the career of two major players in the shaping of modern genre cinema.

The Green Hornet
It wasn't too bad. Kept me entertained at least. The car was gorgeous, Chritoph Waltz was fun and James Franco's cameo a pleasant surprise. The most un-Gondry Gondry film I've seen, and can't help wonder how great/interesting it may have been if Tarantino had, as once rumoured, directed.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Tucker & Dale (Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk), two gentle hill-billy types, spend the weekend renovating their newly purchased backwoods holiday home. Through various mis-understandings and and accidental deaths a group of college kids mistake Tucker & Dale for hill billy psychos. Tucker & Dale mistake the students for suicidal teens off their medication. Hilarity ensues. Actually it doesn't. It's entertaining but never as funny as the trailer promised. I laughed about...actually not once. It made me want to watch Severance again.
Atara
Thor

Terrible. I really can't get my head around why everyone seems to like it so much. The story was awful, the acting was wooden, the script was shoddy, the CGI came from ten years ago. Thor is a stupid super-hero and that was a stupid film.
maian
Etre et avoir (2002)

Absolutely lovely and bittersweet documentary about a school year for a group of children and their teacher in rural France. The unobtrusive style - there is no narration, few interviews and the cameras observe without ever feeling like they are in the centre of the story - prevent it from feeling overly sentimental or manipulative, yet the warmth of Monsieur Perez and the charm of the children are very much on display. Beautiful and heartwarming.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Atara @ May 4 2011, 10:56 PM) *
Thor

Terrible. I really can't get my head around why everyone seems to like it so much. The story was awful, the acting was wooden, the script was shoddy, the CGI came from ten years ago. Thor is a stupid super-hero and that was a stupid film.

Wrong on all counts.

It's really strange how polarizing this movie is. I thought the exact opposite to you, I thought it looked amazing and the script and acting were great.
Zoe
Mugabe and the White African (2009)

A film about big important things, and very small individual relationships, triumphs and tragedies. I found it intensely moving and informative.

I had received this from lovefilm ages ago, but only just got round to watching it.

The news since makes it even more poignant

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/2...mpbell-obituary

It's a shocking and humbling piece of cinema.
Raven
Watchmen

I was surprised at how well this followed the graphic novel, up to the last ten minutes or so, when it kind of slipped off the rails a bit. I can see why the ending was changed as it was, but I wasn't convinced by Nite Owls reaction to everything that happened.

A very good attempt though, all the same.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ May 5 2011, 02:14 AM) *
Watchmen

I was surprised at how well this followed the graphic novel, up to the last ten minutes or so, when it kind of slipped off the rails a bit. I can see why the ending was changed as it was, but I wasn't convinced by Nite Owls reaction to everything that happened.

A very good attempt though, all the same.

I agree. If people want the comic, read the comic. As a movie in its own right it's very good, and as an adaptation of a comic it's very faithfully and lovingly done. The space squid thing could never work in a movie, it barely works in the comic and that's with all the set-up of people being kidnapped to make it. The idea that that's the plan the most intelligent man in the world came up with is a bit silly, and as interesting an idea as it was in the comic, it doesn't really work. The movie ending is the exact same idea, but simpler and easier to digest.

Which version of the movie did you see? The Ultimate Cut is really good, with the Black Freighter scenes added into the film itself and a few little extra bits. It's really long, though.
Raven
The version I watched was the standard release.

Having read the graphic novel at the beginning of the year, for the first time, I did feel the space squid ending was pretty weak and I was wondering how they were going to handle that in the film. Having Doctor Manhattan be responsible for knocking collective heads together makes more sense.
The Phantom
Fanboys

Daft and I admint I did laugh at a few bits. The trekkie/trekker v star wars fans fight scenes were amusing.
Llama
Catfish

Really, really great film. I wasn't expecting to get so sucked in.
Sostie
QUOTE (The Phantom @ May 5 2011, 12:33 PM) *
Fanboys

Daft and I admint I did laugh at a few bits. The trekkie/trekker v star wars fans fight scenes were amusing.

QUOTE (Llama @ May 5 2011, 01:12 PM) *
Catfish

Really, really great film. I wasn't expecting to get so sucked in.

I really hated both of these. Actually Fanboys I hated, Catfish I don't understand what the fuss is about

Woukld make an odd road trip double bill though
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ May 5 2011, 12:05 PM) *
The version I watched was the standard release.

Having read the graphic novel at the beginning of the year, for the first time, I did feel the space squid ending was pretty weak and I was wondering how they were going to handle that in the film. Having Doctor Manhattan be responsible for knocking collective heads together makes more sense.

Agreed. I really don't think we'll ever get a finer adaptation of a comic. Especially watching the Ultimate Cut, it IS the comic played out as a movie. Line-for-line, shot-for-shot the same.
Atara
Easy A

Rubbish.
Llama
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 5 2011, 01:17 PM) *
I really hated both of these. Actually Fanboys I hated, Catfish I don't understand what the fuss is about

Woukld make an odd road trip double bill though

I managed to miss all of the fuss, so it was untainted for me.
logger
13 Assassins

Samurai movie greatest hits is an enjoyable romp. I had some apprehensions with it being a Miike film that it would be overly gruesome or nasty or weird but apart from the odd moment the weirdest thing about this film is just how normal and straightforward it is. There's nothing clever or original or deep about it, it's just a fun movie.
Crutch
Good Night, and Good Luck.

Never seen it before and really like it. It's essentially an absolute overkill of close-ups, but with an awesome cast and formidably written. I enjoyed every second of it, even though at times I didn't really get what exactly the main-character was talking about into the camera (I was REALLY tired), but the way he said it made it gripping and intense nontheless.

Saw 2

I didn't like that much when I've first seen it about 5 years ago. Now I think it's quite clever and works really good even if you already know the twists. But the first and third part are superior.

Saw 7

When I saw (no pun intended) this in the cinema, I was drunk and only liked the 3D-effects they used. Beside that I found it dull and way too slasher-movie like with Hoffmann stalking around and finishing people by the dozen. Now I've seen it at home in 2D and less drunk and find an highly entertaining ending for a movie series I deeply love. Not really the greatest movie of the franchise but surely the goriest.

And I've got a bunch of BluRays I can't watch since my laptop killed himself and I can't get my ass up to get it fixed.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (maian @ May 2 2011, 08:41 PM) *

"I need a horse!"

I'm put off by the fact that Chris Helmsworth looks more like a burly Alaskan lumberjack. Not a Norse God. And because it looks pish.

The Adventures of Adele de Blanc-Sec

Enjoyable nonsense from Luc Besson about a lady Indiana Jones style adventurer in the Belle Epoque. And dinosaurs in Paris. Louise Bourgoin (who was a weather girl in France and then moved to acting cos she is funny - like Ulrika-ka-ka did but with French style) is great as the bossy and charming lead. There are also some good CGI mummies. But overall - just a bit of fluff. Better than Lara Croft anyway.

Speaking of France - I also had the same experience with City of Lost Children and the worse dub ever. I hate dubbing. SPoils that film entirely. I only lasted 5 mins and then held out for the subtitles.
Raven
I finally got around to watching The Dark Knight last night and, as everyone already knows, it 'twas very good.
ella
Monsters

Very weak all round.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Chinatown

Excellent stuff and I'm glad I finally got around to watching it. I'm still struggling to figure out how Robert Towne got from writing this to Mission Impossible 2 though.

Having everything seen from Jake's perspective is a great idea (I especially liked the way the film fades out when he is knocked unconscious and back in when he wakes up)

So yes, superb.
sweetbutinsane
A Little Princess

One of my absolute favourite kid's films.
Raven
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

I've not read the comic books, so I have no idea how good an adaptation this, but as a film in its own right I quite enjoyed it.

Fast paced and funny, and for the first time it made me wonder just how many of the visual jokes in Spaced were actually down to Edgar rather than Simon and Jessica's writing.

My only [minor] gripe would be that I found the battle scenes got a little monotonous as they went along, but otherwise very enjoyable.
Bloomeeney
Catfish

Interesting little doc about a New York photographer going to meet the family of a child prodigy painter and hopefully hook-up with her older step-sister. But is everything as it seems?
Sostie
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ May 10 2011, 10:59 AM) *
Catfish

But is everything as it seems?

No. It's highly likely it's a mockumentary.
maian
I don't think it is a mockumentary, but I do think that the film-makers manipulated the footage a great deal more than they have admitted in their already vague interviews. A large part of the story does hinge on their not knowing how the internet works, which seems unlikely given who they are, so I think they probably made it seem like they knew less than they did. I still think the basic events of the story happened as they are presented.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ May 10 2011, 11:44 AM) *
I don't think it is a mockumentary, but I do think that the film-makers manipulated the footage a great deal more than they have admitted in their already vague interviews. A large part of the story does hinge on their not knowing how the internet works, which seems unlikely given who they are, so I think they probably made it seem like they knew less than they did. I still think the basic events of the story happened as they are presented.

The thing that really shifts me into believing that it is fake - or a lot of it is - is I believe every photo of a person shown on screen would require clearance/permission first and there are a hell of a lot of people flashed up on screen. A lot of the photos were just pulled up off the interent, so how did they gain permission.
logger
Never trust a man with a tramp stamp.
maian
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 10 2011, 11:55 AM) *
The thing that really shifts me into believing that it is fake - or a lot of it is - is I believe every photo of a person shown on screen would require clearance/permission first and there are a hell of a lot of people flashed up on screen. A lot of the photos were just pulled up off the interent, so how did they gain permission.

Once the film got picked up by a studio they would have a whole legal department to do that. Plus, even if people didn't allow them permission, they could just ask someone else (like a professional model or something) if they could use their picture. If the pictures aren't the same ones as the ones they originally encountered, it wouldn't be detrimental to the story.

Edit: Also, looking into it, pretty much all of the photos were from one photographer's Facebook page, so all they'd have to do is contact her and get the details of the people she photographed. It wouldn't be that difficult.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ May 10 2011, 12:05 PM) *
Once the film got picked up by a studio they would have a whole legal department to do that. Plus, even if people didn't allow them permission, they could just ask someone else (like a professional model or something) if they could use their picture. If the pictures aren't the same ones as the ones they originally encountered, it wouldn't be detrimental to the story.

It's not the refusal/acceptance of permission I find difficult, but the tracking down of the people.

Anyways, fake or not, it was unremarkable and a bit shit.

(Catfish may become my documentary equivalent of Garden State)
maian
I liked Catfish a great deal, but I saw it before all the hype had built up around it, so I didn't really have any expectations. If I had had it built up to me, I don't think it would have lived up to it. I still think it's a well-constructed and effective mystery.

QUOTE (Sostie @ May 10 2011, 12:12 PM) *
It's not the refusal/acceptance of permission I find difficult, but the tracking down of the people.

I've covered that in the bit that I edited.
Serafina_Pekkala
I saw Watchmen again. This time I found it tedious and dull with cardboard characters (aside one or two). Before I really liked it. Funny that.
Llama
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 10 2011, 12:12 PM) *
(Catfish may become my documentary equivalent of Garden State)

I think it already has tongue.gif
maian
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ May 10 2011, 12:26 PM) *
I saw Watchmen again. This time I found it tedious and dull with cardboard characters (aside one or two). Before I really liked it. Funny that.

This. Though I felt more or less that way after my first viewing. The more time passes, the more I dislike it.
monkeyman
We watched that again just recently and I still really like it. Apart from maybe the end.
Serafina_Pekkala
I think there is something missing with it. Like Zack Snyder was simply retelling the comic book without actually getting what it was about. The rub - if you like. No wonder people who hadn't read the novel were confused. I still like Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Carla Gugino and Jacke Earle Hailey. But the rest was rather slick and bland.
NiteFall
I felt that Watchmen was a bit of a let down because Snyder was so concerned about making a faithful adaptation of the books that he forgot to put anything of his own in there and as a result it felt a bit flat and lifeless.
NiteFall
Thor

Well. I really enjoyed it. I liked that they basically made a fantasy film with superhero overtones rather than trying to make it a straight up superhero film. I liked all the little nods to the comics, hell I even liked throwing Clint "Hawkeye" Barton in there as a SHIELD agent. Although I did spend the whole film going "Where do I recognise Heimdall from?" until the very end when I suddenly went "Damn! It's Stringer Bell!"
logger
Scott Pilgrim

I had been holding out for the blu ray to go down in price but it's still too dear so I bought the dvd instead. I've just watched with the E-Ball, Bryan Lee O'Malley commentary. I like the fact that the Katayanagi twins' amps go up to 十一. I think this is my favourite Edgar Wright film.
maian
The Arbor (2010)

Documentary about the life and death of Andrea Dunbar, the Bradford-born playwright whose first play, The Arbor, was staged at the Royal Court Theatre when she was only 18, whose second play, Rita, Sue and Bob Too, was turned into a fairly successful film, and who died at the age of 29, leaving behind three young children. Rather than being a straightforward collection of talking heads and clips, the filmmakers recorded interviews with some of the important figures in Andrea's life - her brother and sister, her children, her boyfriends - then had actors lip-sync their dialogue. Think Creature Comforts as done by Ken Loach. Interweaved with this are the actors performing selected scenes from The Arbor, a highly autobiographical work, to augment the story of Dunbar's life. The end result is bizarre and beautiful, with the actors really adding an extra layer to the often heartbreaking stories being told. The film's most powerful moments belong to Lorraine, Dunbar's oldest child, who suffered particularly badly for being a mixed-race child living on a very racist estate. Her's is a story of sexual abuse, drugs, prostitution and prison, and the combination of fierce, unblinking testimony and a soulful physical performance on the part of the actress make it acutely painful.

A unique and harrowing experience.

Quick tip: Not the best choice of first film to watch on a 9 hour transatlantic flight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.