Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
Raven
Tron: Legacy

Definitely a case of style over substance.
sleeping_pirate
I meant to post that I saw Attack The Block last week. Thought it was a great film, very funny and had me jump out of my seat a few times too!
Hobbes
QUOTE (Julie @ May 22 2011, 09:07 PM) *
Iron Man II
Enjoyed it a little more second time round. The Iron Man/War Machine shoot-out with the drones is good, as is Black Widow's little scuffle. Best of all is Gwyneth Paltrow. Oh, and the AC/DC tracks.

They are not a patch on your rendition of Back in Black at SONY. A sound which will go with me to my grave.
maian
Jane Eyre (2011)

Cary Fukunaga's (Sin Nombre), ahem, bold, new version of Charlotte Bronte's classic novel, which actually isn't all that new or bold. The Suspiria-inflected trailer made me think that it was going to draw more on the Gothic and supernatural elements of the story, and whilst those elements are there, they aren't taken far enough. They go just so far that I spent most of the film thinking what an interesting take on the material the film could have been with a stronger style to it, so it all felt a bit of a missed opportunity.

On the positive side: Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender are both very good. They both struggle to keep their accents consistent - him moreso than her - but they don't distract from the central relationship, which is well handled. Judi Dench and Jamie Bell are also great in supporting roles, and there's a mini-Submarine reunion at the beginning when Craig Roberts and Sally Hawkins show up as John Reed and his mother, respectively.

I think it might work better for people who haven't read the book, since I found myself thinking "Get on with it" as it ran through the big plot points in a slightly too perfunctory manner. It probably wouldn't bother people who don't know where the story is going, but it all feels like a long preamble if you do.

By no means a terrible film, but not what I was hoping for based on the trailer.
melzilla
I saw Attack the Block this week.

I have mixed feelings. Although I felt it was shot superbly and looked great, with some decent performances and plenty of adrenaline-filled scenes. I also felt that it kind of lacked something. The pacing was clunky at times and it seemed like it couldn't quite decide what kind of a film it was. Not quite funny enough to be a comedy, not quite deep enough in its social commentary, not quite slick enough to be 'action' and not quite technical enough to be 'sci-fi' as the explanations behind what was going on were all a bit flimsy. Moths?... This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just felt a little confused at times, but for a first film it is a very decent piece of work from Joe Cornish and certainly shows lots of promise. It's really good fun, has plenty of charm and a very interesting concept. It just didn't quite hit the mark for me as I'd have liked.
7/10

I also liked the aliens lots and would very much like a cuddly plush version.
Crutch
QUOTE (Rebus @ May 22 2011, 09:54 PM) *
Australia

I felt I had to get this out of the way, because I hate it when people say a film is utterly bollocks without having seen in and therefore can't pinpoint specifically why it is bollocks.

I can now do this, and specifically everything about this is terrible. It's a sad state of affairs when the best actor in it by a mile and half, is a twelve year old boy. I won't waste any more of your or my time talking about this dreadful film.

The first two hours were... well... pretty okay in my book. Like a Western on Valium and lots of cheap chardonnay. But the last four hours were Pearl Harbour all over again, but without hot nurses.

The Darjeeling Limited

Never seen it before. It's bloody fantastic. Haven't seen a Wes Anderson movie in years, but I'd say this is my favorite. It's so much true feelings, true colors, great acting and great everything. And it got the new Proto-Goblin from the Amazing Spier-Man. Simply beautiful.
Julie
QUOTE (Hobbes @ May 23 2011, 02:59 PM) *
They are not a patch on your rendition of Back in Black at SONY. A sound which will go with me to my grave.

Does it appear to anyone else that I'm the author of the bit you quoted, or am I just very, very tired?

Or, have Sostie and I melded into one, finally.
widowspider
QUOTE (Julie @ May 24 2011, 01:52 PM) *
Does it appear to anyone else that I'm the author of the bit you quoted, or am I just very, very tired?

Oh yeah, it does! That's weird.
Everlong
Freaky! Switcheroo/Bodysnatching?
Sostie
QUOTE (Hobbes @ May 23 2011, 07:59 PM) *

A sound that nearly sent me to my grave.
Ade
QUOTE (Julie @ May 24 2011, 02:52 PM) *

Mystery solved! Freak out not, folks.

It would seem that Luke melded two separate quoted posts together, as the anchor link diverts to a different post by Jules in the 'To think...' thread.

'Whoop-tee-doo', I hear you all cry. I'm such a mine of wondrous mundanity.
Hobbes
Sherlock Ade.
Sostie
QUOTE (Hobbes @ May 25 2011, 04:07 PM) *
Sherlock Ade.

Sher-ade
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 25 2011, 04:22 PM) *
Sher-ade

Definitely nearer the mark.
Crutch
Jonah Hex

Senseless fun. Better than Wild Wild West. Great casting. For me, this movie doesn't do anything wrong. Like it.

Rob Zombie Presents The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

Exactly my kind of humor. I always love Zombie's work and this is him at his best. Especially Paul Giamatti as Dr. Satan is pure fried gold.
Sean of the Dead
LA Confidential
For some reason, I really wanted to see this after playing LA Noire non-stop for three days. Fantastic film, and all the more fun to see with someone who has never seen it before.
maian
QUOTE (Crutch @ May 26 2011, 12:30 PM) *
Jonah Hex

Senseless fun. Better than Wild Wild West. Great casting. For me, this movie doesn't do anything wrong. Like it.

I'd agree with the first word, but none of the rest.
Crutch
Well it's a short hour of shooting, make-up and John Malkovich looking like an English Cocker Spaniel. I can't see anything wrong in that.
maian
I just found it boring and annoying. Bad acting from all involved, a plot that I couldn't care about and dreadful special effects.
Crutch
Au contraire... I think Michael Fassbender is giving a supreme performance.
maian
He...was probably the least bad, I'll grant him that much.
Crutch
And the special effects-budget probably went to hand-doubles for Megan Fox and hair pieces for Malkovich.
Zoe
If there was a like button on here, I would use it on the above.

*gives hammer thumbed thumbs up*
Crutch
Usually I'm happy, if nobody uses the "Report"-Button on my posts. But the possibility to be liked gives me cold and hot shivers. biggrin.gif
logger
I fell asleep after ten minutes of Jonah Hex. I don't know if I liked it or not.
Zoe
I had a dream once that sounds similar to it.
Ade
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ May 26 2011, 01:43 PM) *
LA Confidential
For some reason, I really wanted to see this after playing LA Noire non-stop for three days. Fantastic film, and all the more fun to see with someone who has never seen it before.

I watched that again the other week. I never grow tired of it - 'tis a great fillum indeed, and quite probably in my All Time Top Ten.
Crutch
QUOTE (Ade @ May 27 2011, 01:30 AM) *
... and quite probably in my All Time Top Ten.

But the real question is: Would it make it into your top five?
Ade
QUOTE (Crutch @ May 27 2011, 11:15 AM) *
But the real question is: Would it make it into your top five?

Hmmm, it'd be up against some stiff competition, so possibly not. My guess is it would weigh in at around No. 8, maybe even 7.
Crutch
So if you'd had only eleven hours to live and the chance to watch your five favorite movies, you'd never watch it again. (I really hope your Top Five don't consist of the The Lord Of The Rings-Trilogy, Once Upon A Time In America and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World or you wouldn't make it through your Top Five in the eleven hours you've got left.)
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Ade @ May 25 2011, 06:52 PM) *
Definitely nearer the mark.

Shade?

Sade?

Shar-day?

Sharpay?

Shergar?

This could run and run.
Ade
I was thinking more 'Charade', but I admire your sterling efforts there. smile.gif

I guess Shergar would have run and run had he not been horsenapped.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Ade @ May 27 2011, 02:23 PM) *
I was thinking more 'Charade', but I admire your sterling efforts there. smile.gif

I guess Shergar would have run and run had he not been horsenapped.

Well played.
Raven
Plade, surely?
maian
Le Mepris (Contempt) (1963)

Jean-Luc Godard film about a screenwriter (Michel Piccoli) who is hired by a film producer (Jack Palance) to rewrite a version of Homer's Odyssey being directed by Fritz Lang (himself). His attempts to reconcile his artistic intentions with the demands of making a commercial film come at the same time as his wife (a rarely-dressed Brigitte Bardot) starts to act distant and estranged from him.

I'm not sure how I felt about it, in all honesty. I was never bored, and found every scene in the film engaging and entertaining, but I never really got all that involved in it. It's a very emotionally distant film, so it's hard to really care about the marriage at its centre and I never found myself actively wondering what was the cause of the sudden animosity between the two. It all looks very beautiful, and I found the parallels it draws between its own story and The Odyssey interesting, but I just didn't really care.
Sostie
Unknown
Guy visits Berlin with his wife, gets into an accident, goes into a coma for a few days and wakes up to find someone has taken his identity and no one knows who he is (wife included). From the trailers you'd think that this was another Liam Neeson action vehicle like Taken. Not quite. It's an engrossing little thriller. I was a little worried that there would be a really really preposterous reason for what was going on in the film but actually it's all tied up quite well.

Hall Pass
Watched it for Stephen Merchant more than anything else, and there is very klittle of him. There were one or two minor smile inducing moments, but I wouldn't say it's worth staying in to watch (unless you want to see a big black cock, but there's the internet for that - so why trawl through 100 minutes of mediocrity to see one). Personally I'd be quite happy if I was married to Jenna Fischer or Chritina Applegate. Movie husbands are odd.
logger
Lucky Number Slevin

Derp Fiction.
maian
Bullets Over Broadway

I didn't enjoy it as much as I used to, which is a shame. Still a very good, funny Woody Allen movie, though.
widowspider
Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Magical and brilliant.
Zoe
Monsters (2010)

I know I'm really late to the party, but this is really really great.

In the tradition of adult, intelligent SF, it's about the people, not the Monsters. I found it compelling and very moving. It's also stunning to look at.

I actually think it's great that 'Skyline' and this came out so close to each other. They make fascinating companion pieces.

I recommend both, but watch this first. 'Skyline' really is all about the Monsters.
Shack
Face/Off

Oh how I love mental Cage.

An aside however, in that I don't really understand what sort of legal loopholes Travolta and family jump through at the end to adopt Caster Troy's son. What will they tell him when he grows up? What would Archer's therapist (assuming he keeps his promise to his wife) say about adopting a child who looks very similar to his own child shot 6 years previously, especially given Travolta himself has spent those 6 years trying to kill his newly adopted son's father? I think I'd have chosen a more stable and suitable family.
melzilla
QUOTE (Shack @ May 29 2011, 03:05 PM) *
Face/Off

Oh how I love mental Cage.

An aside however, in that I don't really understand what sort of legal loopholes Travolta and family jump through at the end to adopt Caster Troy's son. What will they tell him when he grows up? What would Archer's therapist (assuming he keeps his promise to his wife) say about adopting a child who looks very similar to his own child shot 6 years previously, especially given Travolta himself has spent those 6 years trying to kill his newly adopted son's father? I think I'd have chosen a more stable and suitable family.

laugh.gif
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 28 2011, 11:18 AM) *
Personally I'd be quite happy if I was married to Jenna Fischer or Christina Applegate. Movie husbands are odd.

Because they are morons. Hence stupid 22 year olds like Brooklyn Decker probably on are on their mental level.

Saying that - Rosie Huntingdon-Disorder in the even newer Transformers 3 is so hilarious. She looks like a femme-bot. An actually femme-bot.
Sostie
How To Train Your Dragon
Beyond Pixar at their best I can't think of a better CGI animated film. Gorgeous to look at, beutifully rendered and a simple, lovely story. Fantastic.

The Ward
John Carpenter's first film for nearly a decade. Amber Heard is committed to a psychiatric hospital where she and the other patients are haunted by a deadly ghostly figure. There are echos of classic Carpenter - a simple, efficient genre film with predictable yet effective shocks (even the non-Carpenter score sounds like Carpenter). Is it Carpenter back on form? Sadly not, though he has a lot to live up to. Is it a continuation of his downward spiral? Happily, no.

Saw 6
I spend most of the time watching these films thinking how I would deal with the traps. I worked out I might be able to get out of at least 2 unharmed. Otherwise, fuck off Jigsaw.
Crutch
Glad to hear, that The Ward is exactly like I expected it to be: A Carpenter movie, that's not shit. With Mandy Lane in the middle. Looking forward to see it.

Thor

I felt brilliantly entertained. Surely Branagh best directing work. All the opera-kitsch from Asgart meets the 50s sci-fi B-movie set up on earth. The part on earth felt like a mix of Starman and the Dolph Lundgren He-Man movie. Which is a good thing in my book. Especially the humor worked really well and the action bits seemed like someone had given it some thinking, what kind of action would serve the movie the best at this and that moment. Not like the more common method "We have half an hour run-time to go. Let's start a big finale with lots of shit flying around and a big explosion. It's all corny and dumb but at the same time full of great and serious acting (I love the cast) and you can clearly see Branagh Sheakespeare take on it. And there aren't that many movies out there with Anthony Hopkins kickin' some ass. And man he's doing quite some ass-kicking in this one.

And another there was a moment towards the end (when Loki, Thor and Odin where holding onto the bridge) when some grown up woman behind me started to cry. The movie must be even more tense than I thought. I also liked that they didn't end it with an all happy-go-kucky moment.

Totally entertaining and more than an average origin story for me.

Eaten Alive

The movie Tobe Hooper made after TCM. It has all the gory bits people expected from Chain Saw Massacre. And it has a Giant Crocodile. And it has a bunch of the weirdest characters I have ever seen in a slasher movie. At times it's like a David Lynch movie. Most of the time it's like a Tennessee Willliams play directed by Andy Warhol. Lots of gore, lots of tits and even more insanity and not much of a coherent story. Robert Englund plays a redneck. It's like watching Grindhouse trailers for one and a half hour. I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. It has some intereting moments. Especially the sound design is fantastic. I really felt unerved most of the time. Tonight I'll watch it again with the audio commentary, hoping to get some sense into this dirty, gritty mess.

X-Men

Still fun. Aged well. But I kind of sat there and let the movie flow into me, without paying much attention, just absorbing the whole thing. I've seen it so many times in the last ten years, it already feels like an old classic I watched since I was a little kid.

Lions for Lambs

Nice concept. Overall underwhelming movie. Actors sitting at desks doing their acting-things and being political all the time. Excuse my words, but it's like a left wing wank fantasy. And in the end, when the poor young dudes where standing up, to get shot like real Americans, I was happy it was over. But I liked the new Amazing Spider-Man dude from The Social Network being all chillaxed.
Raven
Star Wars

The original Star Wars, with no bells or whistles - or even any Episode IV text at the beginning - and it was fupping good.

It's the first time I've seen the original version since before the Special Editions came out and I can honestly say I don't think I'll bother watching the Special Edition version again. For some reason I remembered the special effects being a lot more ropey than they were (especially during the Death Star attack) but now I'm struggling to see why they bothered updating them. Okay so the new shots are a little more fluid and dynamic, but they weren't that bad to start with (and I didn't even notice the much commented upon matte lines).

Oh, and Han shot first - that got a big cheer!
logger
Dodgeball

Didn't it used to have a three-way bisexual kiss in it?
PrincessKate
QUOTE (logger @ May 31 2011, 10:38 AM) *
Dodgeball

Didn't it used to have a three-way bisexual kiss in it?

Deleted ending on the DVD.
logger
That must have been the version they showed on Sky.
Crutch
QUOTE (Raven @ May 31 2011, 02:40 AM) *
Star Wars

The original Star Wars, with no bells or whistles -

Oh, and Han shot first - that got a big cheer!

Didn't in fact Greedo not shoot at all?

Han shot solo. Didn't he?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.