Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
logger
Submarine

Makes you appreciate Wes Anderson all the more. It's not terrible but I only made it through half an hour before turning it off. It looks good though, so good for you, mr cameraman.

Super

I really liked it. Silly fun, although in a weird way it's probably the most realistic super hero movie. It could have been slicker but I think they did all they could with what looks like a low budget. And Ellen Page is doing a lot to win me over lately, I'm totally in love with Boltie.
maian
I watched Super tonight as well. I really liked it too. I can understand why it's got such mixed reviews, since the mixture of extreme violence and loose comedy isn't the most natural of fits, but I thought that they complemented each other nicely, especially since the violence gradually becomes less funny and more horrifying as the film goes on. I also thought it handled the weird and obsessive aspects of superheros really well, with the clear psychosis of Frank and his "visions" being a great indicator that you'd have to be mentally unbalanced to want to be a superhero.

Unstoppable

I'm not a massive Tony Scott fan in general but I really liked this. I think that the restrictions of the story, with all the action being more or less confined to being on or alongside trains, meant that a lot of the tics that usually bug me were reined in, and the central dynamic between Denzel Washington and New Kirk was really nicely handled. They felt like good guys you could care about, and it was fun just watching them give each other a tough time before they even had to fight a train.
sweetbutinsane
Kick-Ass

Even the presence of Nicolas Cage can't stop me from liking this film.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

I've forgotten what happened already. This may be partly due to the colours being so dark that I could hardly see what was going on but more likely because it wasn't particularly interesting.
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Aug 7 2011, 07:17 PM) *
Kick-Ass

Even the presence of Nicolas Cage can't stop me from liking this film.

The presence of Nic Cage is what made me like this film.
Raven
Eragon

A shameless retread of Star Wars with fantasy trappings. Pretty poor all round.
logger
Hobo With a Shotgun

Apart from The Plague, it should have been better.
Sostie
Super 8
There's been a lot said about how this harks back to early Spielberg and the child ensemble films of the 80's. On the former it is spot on. Whilst ET seems to be the comparative film that is namechecked in many reviews Super 8 owes much, possibly more, to CE3K. On the latter point comparisons to that sub-genre are also justified. The film doesn't flesh out all the characters as well as say Stand By Me, nor is it as "light" as Monster Squad. Personally, it reminded me a lot of the brilliant and underrated Expolorers.
The cast, at every level is faultless, with the two young leads, and especially Elle Fanning, really standing out.
I wouldn't say the film contains many stand-out scenes or set pieces (though the train wreck is rather spectacular), and I have no urge to see it again very soon, but I can imagine this is one of those films that an urge to see it again will just hit you out of the blue.
If Spielberg had directed this we would be applauding the man for successfully making a film that duplicated the spirit of his early output. Instead, I applaud Abrams for making a hugely entertaining, well executed nostalgia trip that doesn't rely on constant pop culture references, product placement and an evasive soundtrack.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Sean of the Dead @ Aug 7 2011, 10:21 PM) *
The presence of Nic Cage is what made me like this film.

Your adoration of this monster is strangely endearing.
Jessopjessopjessop
*Agrees*

"Super 8" captures the feel of those classic films perfectly without being a spoof or a retread. The first hour in particular is gloriously entertaining, amusing and touching, in the way films like "The Goonies" and "Stand By" were.

This isn't rose-tinted nostalgia on my part either; there no longer seems to be any movies starring children that are not just kids' movies. You Spy Kids and the like are pure wish-fulfillment for children of the time. They are portrayed as more street-smart and knowing than the adults, but it is not about being a child, or exploring childhood in any way.

Speaking of the children, Elle Fanning is exceptionally good and completely engaging. In fact, the whole cast is strong and totally believable.

My final thought is spoilerish: I found the alien's appearance strange to the point of distraction. It seems overdesigned in the way which is popular amongst creature makers at the moment, reminiscent of the Cloverfield monster with too many limbs forming a very odd bodyplan. You cannot conceive how such a being could have evolved for any practical purpose. And such a large and powerful creature is unlikely to have evolved into a species of such high intelligence. Our own frail forms encouraged intelligence to flourish for survival, but "Cooper" (as Abrams nicknamed the alien) appears more like a predator. Of course we cannot imagine how aliens might really be, be we can extrapolate from examples on our own planet. Also, in general, the alien seemed at odds with the film's own universe, which references movies in which the classic Little Green Men are more likely to be the antagonists.
Sostie
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Aug 8 2011, 12:22 PM) *
Your adoration of this monster is strangely endearing.

Monster! The man is closer to a god. There are few Nic Cage films that would be better without Nic Cage.

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Aug 8 2011, 12:41 PM) *
My final thought is spoilerish:...

He reminded me a little of the Gary Oldman monster at the end of Lost In Space
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Sostie @ Aug 8 2011, 01:27 PM) *
Monster! The man is closer to a god. There are few Nic Cage films that would be better without Nic Cage.

A monster can be impressive but also something to be fear. This is the biggest example.
Sostie
QUOTE (Serafina_Pekkala @ Aug 8 2011, 02:16 PM) *
A monster can be impressive but also something to be fear. This is the biggest example.

A role of a lifetime
maian
Homicide (1991)

David Mamet's third directorial effort starts out as a fairly standard police procedural - albeit one filled with his typically stylised dialogue and directed with his customary tightness and efficiency - as a Jewish cop (Joe Mantegna) follows the trail of a cop killer (Ving Rhames) with his partner (William H. Macy) in tow. It changes tack when he stumbles across a second murder, one in which an elderly Jewish lady working in a predominantly black neighbourhood was killed in her shop, and becomes a film about identity and loyalty, as Mantegna is torn between his desire to be a good cop and the Judaism that he has so long suppressed, but which re-emerges as he investigates the Jewish community the woman belonged to.

A terrific film that took me completely be surprise. Mamet creates a fascinating world that is easy to get lost in, but which is nicely centred around the hunt for Rhames, even if that element of the plot gets less important as the story progresses. It also has a really interesting ending. I'm not sure I quite get what is going on in it, but it's definitely interesting.
GundamGuy_UK
Rocky - Another of those "Why the Hell have I never seen this movie before?" films. I absolutely loved every minute of it.

It's a shame those 118118 adverts ruined the training montage slightly for me...
maian
Super 8

I thought it was great. I don't want to over-egg the Spielberg connection, but I thought that it perfectly captured that sense of wonder and awe that you find in Close Encounters, E.T. and (to an extent) Jurassic Park. I also thought that it worked beautiful as both a spooky, moody mystery and as a loving homage to filmmaking and to film as a form of escapism. Obviously you have the kids making their own little movie and getting lost in the world that they are creating, even as the world around them gets crazier, but you also have that absolutely beautiful scene in which Joe and Alice watch the home movies of Joe's dead mother, in which he is briefly able to relive his time with her through the films left behind.

Really special stuff.
Sean of the Dead
Ironclad

Mackenzie Crook as what Legolas would actually have been like if he had spent all his time down the archery range rather than picking up elf chicks? Jamie Foreman in an act of typecasting that defies time as a medieval cockney? Charles Dance as a good-guy?! James Purefoy as Solomon Kane minus the accent? Jason Flemyng with a gravelly voice but at least given something to actually fucking do since the Quartermass Experiment and that series of Primeval and as such is obviously awesome? Paul Giamatti as Lord Farquad? Brian Cox as what I like to imagine is himself? Best film ever?

As such, I liked it.

Although seriously, the Charles Dance thing blows my mind. Do they not know he's responsible for overseeing the whole Lancelot thing at Trinity?
GundamGuy_UK
Rocky II - Yeah, I decided to go for a double-bill, seeing as the first two follow so closely. Not quite as good as the first one, but still a great film and a damn fine feel-good ending.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 10 2011, 12:56 AM) *
Super 8
absolutely beautiful scene in which Joe and Alice watch the home movies of Joe's dead mother, in which he is briefly able to relive his time with her through the films left behind.

It is great to see such considered and emotive scenes in a "blockbuster" movie, and they definitely elevate the movie. I was so impressed with Elle Fanning, whose maturity and charisma lends so much weight to those scenes. And she is very beautiful - she is just like your first crush or your dream girl at that age, which puts you so much in the shoes of Joe. It's a slight shame that the film seems to fracture a little bit in the last 20 minutes what with the kids and parents all variously separated and lose that incredible focus and drive, but I'm certain that will not be evident in subsequent viewings.
Downsy
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 10 2011, 02:57 AM) *
Rocky II - Yeah, I decided to go for a double-bill, seeing as the first two follow so closely. Not quite as good as the first one, but still a great film and a damn fine feel-good ending.

Whatever you do, do not see this through to Rocky 5. 3 is good with Mr T playing a really worthy opponent, 4, though dated becomes a ridiculously thick metaphor for the cold war USA/Russia period. Seriously, do not watch 5.

Rocky Balboa is good and in some ways heads back to the first film in it's reliance on story than ring work, but don't watch 5.

gulfcoast_highwayman
Rocky 3 is the most 80's film ever!

maian
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Aug 10 2011, 01:01 PM) *
It's a slight shame that the film seems to fracture a little bit in the last 20 minutes what with the kids and parents all variously separated and lose that incredible focus and drive, but I'm certain that will not be evident in subsequent viewings.

I think that fracturing is justified by the catharsis of their reunion. Maybe it's just that I spent five seasons of Friday Night Lights being brought to point of tears by the Kyle Chandler's quiet, taciturn gaze and repressed emotions, but "I've got you" was a really powerful moment for me.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Downsy @ Aug 10 2011, 01:57 PM) *
Whatever you do, do not see this through to Rocky 5. 3 is good with Mr T playing a really worthy opponent, 4, though dated becomes a ridiculously thick metaphor for the cold war USA/Russia period. Seriously, do not watch 5.

Rocky Balboa is good and in some ways heads back to the first film in it's reliance on story than ring work, but don't watch 5.

Well I found all six movies in a box set in a bargain bin, so I actually own Rocky V. So I will have to watch it at some point, really, just to see what it's like.
Hobbes
Rocky V is one of the most preposterous things ever put on celluloid.
maian
It's not a patch on Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge, either.
logger
Super 8

Clunky as fuck.
GundamGuy_UK
Rocky III - Not as good as the original, but I doubt anything ever could be just due to Rocky's differing positions in life. A brilliantly entertaining movie, though. Loved every second of it. Mr T was great, if a little cliche nowadays through him being such a pop-culture figure and many of his lines being catchphrases now. I was sad when Mickey died, though I knew it was coming at some point due to Burgess Meredith getting on a bit. Definitely the best character other than Rocky himself, I'll miss him..

Rocky IV - Okay. First of all, and I have to get this out of the way: What the fuck is with the robot? The first couple of Rocky films were so great because of the realistic human angle to them, then they go and throw a robot butler into it? It's not even a cool robot. That aside though, similar sentiment to the others: "Not as good as the first movie, but it's still really entertaining". It was really quite horrible when Apollo gets killed, which I did not see coming at all. The whole movie reeked of 80s America, both the good and bad sides of that. I enjoyed it though, but I thought III was better.

I have never seen so many montages in a single night. I was trying to count them, but I couldn't remember how many. It's got to be ten, though.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 11 2011, 01:51 AM) *
Rocky III - Not as good as the original, but I doubt anything ever could be just due to Rocky's differing positions in life. A brilliantly entertaining movie, though. Loved every second of it. Mr T was great, if a little cliche nowadays through him being such a pop-culture figure and many of his lines being catchphrases now. I was sad when Mickey died, though I knew it was coming at some point due to Burgess Meredith getting on a bit. Definitely the best character other than Rocky himself, I'll miss him..

The scene of Rocky and Apollo frolicking in the surf makes Top Gun look straight.
Downsy
It's the cropped t-shirts that do it.
GundamGuy_UK
Rocky V - The first hour I was just thinking "Why is everyone here saying it's so bad? This is fine". Then his son got the stupid earring and was talking back, and my heart sank. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, though. I was entertained. It was very stupid at times, though I can see what they were trying to do and it was a good direction to go in. It was just poorly executed.
"Touch me and I'll sue!"
"Sue me for what?"
Er, for hitting him so hard he dents a car?
widowspider
QUOTE (maian @ Aug 10 2011, 03:57 PM) *
I think that fracturing is justified by the catharsis of their reunion. Maybe it's just that I spent five seasons of Friday Night Lights being brought to point of tears by the Kyle Chandler's quiet, taciturn gaze and repressed emotions, but "I've got you" was a really powerful moment for me.

Yes, yes, yes. I think the main ensemble were fabulously cast, but I was also delighted that Kyle Chandler played the dad as he is utterly perfect in the role. He does that good-guy thing SO well, without ever becoming saccharine or annoying. I have a mega-crush on him.

And totally agreeing on all the other Super 8 points.
widowspider
Sorry for double post, but I saw a few films on the plane back from London:

Thor

I really enjoyed it. Great set pieces, funny, sexy, and decent acting which a lot of action flicks don't have. Guess that's what happens when Branagh directs it. I loved all the visuals too of Asgard and the cosmos. Gorgeous!

Looking forward to the (inevitable) part 2.

Henry's Crime
Thriller/bank heist movie with Keanu Reeves, James Caan and Vera Farmiga. It's an odd assortment of people, and the film isn't particularly amazeballs, but it was enjoyable enough plane watching.

Arthur
Wasn't expecting much but it was quite charming. Brand gets a bit bland in places, but there's enough of his characteristic silliness to overcome that. Helen Mirren is really quite funny as Hobson and their relationship was very touching.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 12 2011, 12:58 AM) *
Rocky V

I also forgot to mention that despite all the negatives I heard about this movie, nothing in it was anywhere near as bad as that robot from IV.

Rocky Balboa - I really loved this one a lot more than I was expecting it to. It goes back to what made the first couple of movies so great, albeit a little of that early on depending on a "Remember this location from Rocky, guys?" way - though in the context of the story that worked really well, and it was pretty emotional. This time, Rocky has no reason to fight other than for his own personal pride and for himself, in fact pretty much everyone else is against it. The fight itself is spectacular and possibly the most exciting of all of them; I genuinely had no idea how it was going to conclude and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. A very fitting end to the series, and a great example of a sequel years after the previous movies done right (as was Rambo two years later).
Sostie
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 12 2011, 03:59 PM) *
A very fitting end to the series, and a great example of a sequel years after the previous movies done right (as was Rambo two years later).

Yet to see Rocky Balboa, but really couldn't disagree more about Rambo. Awful film.

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
The Summer film that for many had lowest expectations when announced has turned out to be one of the best. Where POTA was a very good film with an outstanding ending/twist, Rise.. is great throughout. I thnk it may well be the best Apes film so far.
Raven

Complete bobbins from beginning to end. I've got to get this on DVD.

Red Sonja

Just complete bobbins this time, and not in a good way.

I want to see Arrietty, but there's no one near me showing it - not even our pretentiously wanky local film club.
widowspider
Red Riding Hood

Has good moments but is very inconsistent with style and tone.

The Adjustment Bureau
Much less sci-fi than I was expecting - but a clever central concept with good performances from the leads.
Jon 79
Super 8

Brilliant. Nostalgic. Was nice to see a new film from that era. A good mix of emotions throughout the film. 9 out of 10.

Did anyone else notice the E.T style bike with the massive basket stuck to the water tower at the end?

Me and Orson Welles

I'm a fan of Linklater's work, and to begin with this seemed very different from his other films... but then i found a connection with some of the amusing flirty dialogue. 7.5 out of 10.
Raven
Liking the Apes beat Smurfs at UK box office headline on the BBC's news page.

Gargamel would be happy!
dandan
QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 15 2011, 07:00 PM) *
Red Sonja

Just complete bobbins this time, and not in a good way.

come on, it's a gem. in it's own way...
Ade
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Aug 10 2011, 04:48 PM) *
Well I found all six movies in a box set in a bargain bin, so I actually own Rocky V. So I will have to watch it at some point, really, just to see what it's like.

I've pondered picking that box set up too, on a couple of occasions. I've only ever seen Rocky IV (at the cinema too, no less), and ever since, I have harboured zero interest in the rest of the series. Rocky just never appealed to me - can't for the life of me think why I agreed to go to the pictures to see Volume 4 in the first place.

Oh, wait, yes I can... it was something along the lines of having been told by someone at school that Dolph Lundgren's character was actually a robot. Now THAT would have been worth the ticket price: Sly getting pulverised by a Soviet Terminator.

The Commie-nator.

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Aug 11 2011, 12:28 AM) *
Rocky V is one of the most preposterous things ever put on celluloid.

So I'd heard. Thus perpetuating my continued indifference for the series. That, and Sly has never pronounced my name properly.
Raven
QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 16 2011, 03:57 PM) *
come on, it's a gem. in it's own way...

Beastmaster was better (Tanya Roberts > Brigitte Nielsen).
Ade
QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 16 2011, 04:44 PM) *
Beastmaster was better (Tanya Roberts > Brigitte Nielsen).

Sorry Dan, got to agree there... in both respects. smile.gif
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 16 2011, 04:31 PM) *
I've pondered picking that box set up too, on a couple of occasions. I've only ever seen Rocky IV (at the cinema too, no less), and ever since, I have harboured zero interest in the rest of the series. Rocky just never appealed to me - can't for the life of me think why I agreed to go to the pictures to see Volume 4 in the first place.

So I'd heard. Thus perpetuating my continued indifference for the series. That, and Sly has never pronounced my name properly.

I certainly enjoyed them. I also really didn't see what was so bad about V.
logger
QUOTE (Ade @ Aug 16 2011, 04:31 PM) *
Oh, wait, yes I can... it was something along the lines of having been told by someone at school that Dolph Lundgren's character was actually a robot. Now THAT would have been worth the ticket price: Sly getting pulverised by a Soviet Terminator.

I was told that too. It must have been a pretty widespread urban myth.
logger
Red

Has its odd moments but it's all a bit too flat, like an Ocean's film.
Rebus
I thought Red was all just a bit of fun where no one (except Bruce Willis) seemed to take things all that seriously. John Malkovich, as ever, was brilliant.

Monsters.

I'd heard it billed as the "thinking person's monster movie" and while, yes there was a hell of a lot more character development and interesting exposition than say, Battle Los Angeles or the equally dire Skyline, it did threaten to descend into soap opera-esque territory just a few times. However I can't take away from the performances of the two main characters, they handled their roles very well, especially Scoot McNairy. Despite having the silly name of a Scottish pixie, he really grounded the film in reality, and drew Whitney Able's down when she threatened to get a bit melodramatic. Able is very much like Kirsten Dunst if she wasn't perpetually stoned and annoying to look at.

For a budget of less than $1m, Gareth Edwards has done insanely well with the visual effects, which he all did himself. The scenes of destruction only looked slightly ropy in parts, but overall it was brilliant, though I suspect some New Orleans location filming helped great deal. I won't talk about the monsters at all as I think people should come to them naturally and make their own conclusions. Overall I'd give it a solid 7 rubber chickens out of 10.

Dazed and Confused

Not nearly as good as I remember when I was a kid. I don't know, maybe I've grown out of it but I thought that almost all of the characters were fairly annoying, with only Slater and Tony still holding the most enjoyment. Also I'd completely forgotten that Milla Jovovich pretty much had no dialogue what so ever, she is literraly just the pretty face to fill some screen time. Maybe it was just because of the fact that all of those stupid High School practices and initiation rituals are completely alien to me as a non-American, or smoking weed has lost the novelty it once had when I was young, but it has definitely lost the impact it once had. Shame.
dandan
QUOTE (Rebus @ Aug 21 2011, 11:58 PM) *
Dazed and Confused

Not nearly as good as I remember when I was a kid. I don't know, maybe I've grown out of it but I thought that almost all of the characters were fairly annoying, ...

yeah, i'm pretty sure it is deliberate. i always liked linklater's knack of creating nicely annoying dicks to fill his movies; i wish 'suburbia' was easily available...
logger
QUOTE (dandan @ Aug 22 2011, 10:33 AM) *
i wish 'suburbia' was easily available...

I never made it past the lesbian street performer.
dandan
err... is that not 'slacker'? it's a been a while and i don't remember her from 'suburbia'...
logger
Here NSFW
widowspider
Attack The Block

Cornballs does a blinder with his directorial debut - having grown up in South East London it was particularly funny/cool to see the ghetto parts of my area be the setting for an alien invasion. The creatures were really scary - I thought the concept was really clever and well-executed. Some fantastic performances from the ensemble cast and moments of genuine comedy interspersed with edge-of-seat tension. I'm going to take my friend Amy to see it next week and be her translator. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.