Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cinemexperience: part deux.
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 21 2012, 12:07 AM) *
Why was Guy Pearce playing an old man? Could they not find a genuine old man to play the part?! I don't understand.

Yeah, that was my only real problem with it. My guess is either they plan on having a young Weyland in a sequel, or they thought that the make-up would make him look unnaturally old already.
I know they had him in a viral TED video with him not old, but surely that's not enough reason to hire him.
NiteFall
Apparently there was a load of cut stuff with a young Weyland.
Raven
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Jun 21 2012, 12:16 AM) *
Apparently there was a load of cut stuff with a young Weyland.

I did wonder whether that was the case.

What are the bet's on a directors cut in a couple of years?
GundamGuy_UK
Well, there are five cuts of Blade Runner, so probably.
maian
I'd say there's a very good chance of a director's cut appearing, even if it might not be called a director's cut.
Llama
The old man makeup/prosthetics looked awful.
dandan
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jun 21 2012, 12:13 AM) *
Yeah, that was my only real problem with it.

i thought the stupid engineer/dna scene at the beginning was your only problem with the film? <insert wink here>
GundamGuy_UK
Yes yes, that too. I keep forgetting that's actually in the film. I just think it works a lot better without it.
logger
Schindler's List

Powerful film let down by Spielberg's sentimentality.

Also, it's ironic that in a film dealing with the dehumanising of Jewish people that it actually dehumanises the nazis. I know it's difficult to humanise people who do sadistic and inhuman things but it is dangerous to think of them as inhuman creatures, the most important lesson to be learned from the holocaust being that it was perpetrated by ordinary people and given the right circumstances, can and has happened time and again.
widowspider
^Good point.

QUOTE (Rebus @ Jun 20 2012, 10:01 PM) *
Biutiful

Gut-wrenchingly depressing, but one of Javiar Bardem's best ever performances. It actually works well as a pseudo-horror film too as there are some genuinely creepy moments in it, but to repeat what was undoubtedly said by many critics when it was first released it is quite simply beautiful. I don't know if this is in poor taste to say, but movies about cancer-sufferers have in recent years been consistently excellent.

Oh god, that film was just extraordinary. Bardem was amazing in it. Like you said, gut-wrenchingly depressing, but really stupendous too.
Rebus
Logan's Run

One of those 'had never gotten around to it' movies. It's amazingly long, very dated, a bit sexy, a lot weirder than I thought it would be, but thoroughly enjoyable.
GundamGuy_UK
I loved Logan's Run when I was a kid. Box was my favourite character.
"Fish, and sea greens, and plankton from the sea."
Raven
Going back to the Prometheus debate, now I'm a little more awake, by and large I agree with what Ed and dandan have said, so I wonít go over the ground they have already covered (characters you canít relate to; people doing irrational things etc) but I will add the following comments:

- One thing that really jarred for me was the signposting of things that were going to be important later in the film (the lifeboat with two-years of supplies, the limited edition medical machine etc).

- The film seemed to lurch from being almost profound in places (or pretentious, depending on how you viewed it) straight into random acts of schlock violence. It's been years since I last saw Alien, but I remember its use of gore as being shocking, but not gratuitous (which is how it came across in this film for me). The "birth" scene just broke my suspension of disbelief entirely, to the point where I almost started laughing because in most ways it was actually more comical than shocking.

- Way too much of the plot, or rather the format of the film, seemed to be a blend of the first two Alien films.

- What a refreshing change it was to have yet another film where the aliens [the Engineers, not the bugs] were just mindless thugs out to get us. Surely Spielberg can't be the only director who can do friendly aliens?! We build space ships, but me bash down door now!
Raven
Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Actually quite good, a more thoughtful blockbuster than I was expecting.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (logger @ Jun 21 2012, 01:43 PM) *
Schindler's List

Powerful film let down by Spielberg's sentimentality.

Also, it's ironic that in a film dealing with the dehumanising of Jewish people that it actually dehumanises the nazis. I know it's difficult to humanise people who do sadistic and inhuman things but it is dangerous to think of them as inhuman creatures, the most important lesson to be learned from the holocaust being that it was perpetrated by ordinary people and given the right circumstances, can and has happened time and again.

This is a good point. The circumstances behind the situation are not given enough time to develop. The film needed greater context if you like. Maybe the filmmakers were scared that people would think that somehow there sympathising with the perpetrators. Which is ludicrous as the actions alone stand for themselves. However the film can only show so much. The book goes into much greater exploration about the economic motives behind the hideous behaviour and that is perhaps an added level of thought to comprehend nowadays. It is problem - when filmmakers want to both show and tell a story. It is tricky.

That saying, I still think the movie has some great moments too. The cinematographer is both beautiful and terrible, in the sense it creates this atmosphere of fear.
logger
Eat The Rich

Deliberately crass comedy that's about as British as shouting "Oi, cunt!", and might as well have been called Carry On The Revolution. It's a mess and should have been better but a lot of the crappiness adds to the over all charm of it.
GundamGuy_UK
The Amazing Spider-Man - I enjoyed it a lot. I felt that Peter Parker was a lot more likable and resembled his comic counterpart better. It had some really cheesy moments in it, but overall a good movie. I didn't feel that it being a reboot so soon after the previous one hurt the experience at all, it was a different enough film that I can live with both.
Silky
Such a pity it was only made to stop Marvel using Spidey in any Avengers films. wink.gif
GundamGuy_UK
It was a good film. One of the two silly bits was a typical Hollywood thing where they'll mention some invention completely off-hand and then make you think "Hmmm, I wonder if that'll make an appearance at the climax?"

The other one was one of those cringe-worthy "Let's all band together, for FREEDOM!" moments.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (Silky @ Jul 4 2012, 07:18 PM) *
Such a pity it was only made to stop Marvel using Spidey in any Avengers films. wink.gif

I don't mind that. Unless they've changed it in the last ten years or so, Spidey and the Avengers never mixed.
Raven
Cowboys and Aliens

Not bad, but not brilliant either. Would have been better if the story was stronger.
logger
[Rec]3

Some people might not be happy about the silly turn this film takes or that it has very little to do with the previous films but for a second sequel in a low budget horror series it is still an enjoyable enough zombie film.
Everlong
SNIP... Moving this to the Dark Night Rises thread.
GundamGuy_UK
I think that the Dark Knight Rises thread we have already should be used for discussion about the film.

By all means post here what you did saying you enjoyed it etc, but in its own dedicated thread you can all have discussions about it without worrying about spoiling it for those who haven't seen it. Otherwise the next week or so this thread will just turn into a sea of blacked-out spoiler tags.

I say, avoid that thread like the plague if you've not seen the film yet (I have to wait TEN MORE DAYS), but if you have seen it then hang out there and talk about it without fear of ruining it for others.

I'm glad you're all liking it. My opinion might change when I do see it, but I still wish they'd gone with The Riddler as the villain. Nolan would have done such a great Riddler... and just think of the viral marketing opportunities.
Everlong
Noted, I've cut it and putting it in the thread.
GundamGuy_UK
I didn't mean say nothing at all, just discuss it in detail there.

Jurassic Park - Still my favourite film of all time. I know every single word, every sound effect, every detail. I saw it at the cinema, got it on VHS the day it came out, and since then I've watched it every couple of months at most. It just resonates with me.
I even know the Spanish song playing in the background when Nedry and Dodgeson meet, complete with when the chickens cluck. All the musical cues...
Rebus
QUOTE (GundamGuy_UK @ Jul 22 2012, 09:05 AM) *
I didn't mean say nothing at all, just discuss it in detail there.

Jurassic Park - Still my favourite film of all time. I know every single word, every sound effect, every detail. I saw it at the cinema, got it on VHS the day it came out, and since then I've watched it every couple of months at most. It just resonates with me.
I even know the Spanish song playing in the background when Nedry and Dodgeson meet, complete with when the chickens cluck. All the musical cues...

Then maybe you can answer this for me; is there actually a high-pitched 'slip' sound effect included when Nedry falls on his ass up on the muddy hill during his encounter with the Dilophosaurus, or is that some other sound that just happens to occur at that moment? Even as a kid I always thought that tenth of a second was a little too cartoonish. Still, a tenth of a second of 'meh' out of 127 minutes of pure joy is pretty good.
GundamGuy_UK
Yeah, it's a slip sound effect. Why, I don't know...
There's also that jeep in The Lost World that flies through the air with a slide-whistle sound effect.
Rebus
Oh also, Nedry's scream is repeated a few seconds after the first time he make it, either that or he replicates it exactly. Right, I'm off to watch Jurassic Park now.
GundamGuy_UK
QUOTE (Rebus @ Jul 22 2012, 10:55 PM) *
Oh also, Nedry's scream is repeated a few seconds after the first time he make it, either that or he replicates it exactly. Right, I'm off to watch Jurassic Park now.

That kind of thing happens a lot in films. The one that grates me the most is right at the start of The Terminator, when a binman says "What the Hell?" twice and it's the same clip. The second time he says it, his face is on camera and his lips don't move!
GundamGuy_UK
The Dark Knight - As much as I enjoyed Rises, I have to say that this one is better. Hands down the best superhero film ever made, and quite possibly good enough to be the best that will ever be made. Absolutely gripping from the first shot until the last line, and it never lets go for a second. Superb.
Serafina_Pekkala
The awakening

Not perfect by any means (plot holes and red herrings abound) but a rather fine film with Rebecca Hall in the lead which should happen more often. Although I was distracted by her face math being Anna Friel and Amy Acker. Anyway - a good ghost story with Dominic West, Imelda Staunton and Bran Stark (without Hodder alas) is as enjoyable as expected. Great atmosphere, music and looks beautiful probably on not that much money. The director is a talent to watch.
GundamGuy_UK
Daredevil (Director's Cut) - I'd never seen this movie, but it was £2 on Amazon so I thought I'd give it a shot. It was no Iron Man or The Dark Knight, but I don't see why it's so hated. I enjoyed it. I didn't like the directing in parts (I've never been a fan of the whole "sped-up helicopter footage followed by slow-motion rotation around a building to show location transition" thing that some movies do; it never looks good), and I still can't decide if Bullseye was entertaining or just stupid. It's a long film, two hours long (apparently half an hour longer than the theatrical release, and the additions significantly improve on it), but I was entertained. I may have preferred the Matt Murdoch scenes over the Daredevil ones if anything, I felt that Affleck and Jon Favreau worked well together.

Not a great film, but certainly not a bad one. I'd watch it again.
Raven
The Goonies

I relived a small slice of my childhood yesterday afternoon. They don't make 'em like they used too.
GundamGuy_UK
I've never seen The Goonies. I think I must be too old to appreciate it in the same way everyone else seems to, now.
logger
I didn't watch it because whenever it's on tv it's massively cut. It's not like there's anything bad in it, it's a kids film.
Raven
I'm not sure they cut much last night. I was quite surprised.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I've always struggled to understand the affection for it. I was just about the right target age group for it when it came out, and enjoyed it enough for what it was, but even then didn't see it as a classic or any kind of greatness.

I think it's a bit of a Scooby Doo type thing, where people talking about it has convinced people it was better than it actually was.
Raven
^ It's not the best film ever made, but it is a lot of fun (and I've not been brain washed by any Scooby Doo fans . . .).
Outatime
I've never seen it all the way through because it scared me so badly when I was a kid I don't think I could watch it now.
Raven
^ You would just laugh at it now, it's not at all scary.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 13 2012, 11:49 AM) *
The Goonies

I relived a small slice of my childhood yesterday afternoon. They don't make 'em like they used too.

It's my go-to comfort film. I love it.
logger
The Last Exorcism

Fun horror greatest hits fun.
logger
Howards End

Now I want cake.
logger
Rushmore

Hadn't seen it in a while. I wish it had just come out.
Julie
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Aug 14 2012, 11:25 AM) *
It's my go-to comfort film. I love it.

I took Shack to the actual Goondocks last weekend, although I was much more impressed by the jail.
Raven
^ Did you go to the Lighthouse Lounge as well?
logger
This bank holiday I watched films. They were;

Rio Bravo

The Searchers

The Wizard of Oz

Bottle Rocket
logger
Boyz N Da Hood

I hadn't seen this in years. It does seem a bit cliched now but that's mainly because it's been copied so much. The main question with it is where does accessibility turn into patronising, when does it stop being fable-ised vignettes of ghetto life and become simplistic melodrama, and most importantly does it matter when it's as affecting as this. Sure, John Singleton never made anything near as good as this, and even here the faults are clear, but despite all this it still manages to be a powerful and moving film after all these years.

Win Win

Entertaining enough but if it wasn't for a great cast, a decent script and some nifty direction this could easily have been a tv movie.

The Descendants

I didn't really know anything about this except that it was George Clooney with kids who didn't respect him and that it won Dean Pelton an Oscar. Alexander Payne confuses me, I love Election (I can't see Reese Withersppoon without thinking "her pussy gets so wet"), I thought About Schmidt was alright that one time I saw it on tv, and I just don't get Sideways (I've never made it more than halfway through), so I wasn't sure what to expect. I have to say, I liked it. It has a nice sense of melancholy without becoming maudlin or falling into sentimentality, it has some nice moments of humour and a pretty cool cast. It's not the greatest film ever made, it could have been a bit more subtle, a little less coffee table, I would have liked it to focus more on people meaning different things to different people, and I could have done without a subplot that felt like half-arsed Capra, but on the whole it's a pretty good film.
Rebus
The Dictator

Some very funny bits, some not so funny bits, overall it was exactly what I was expecting. Wish they could have used Adeel Akhtar more as he seemed a bit tacked on, but it was still worth a watch.

Cabin In The Woods

Excellent. Pure enjoyment from start to finish, loved every single minute of it, with Whedon regular Fran Kranz doing a great job but Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford as the office-weary doom-mongerers really stole the film for me. The final act was just a blisteringly violent joy to behold, a real pinnacle of shit-hitting-the-fan wonderment. The script, as expected, was fantastic, some real laugh-out-loud moments, and every teen horror movie trope was there, and the fact that they had to be there just made it all the more enjoyable to watch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.