Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dead Set
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3
fatseff1234
Dead Set

Could be shit, depends if Davina gets her hands on some heavy weaponry or not.
logger
Dead Set site

I'm a little more excited about this now that I've seen zombie Davina in the trailer. I'm normally very wary of British drama, especially if it has a sci fi/horror angle so here's hoping.
fatseff1234
There's one thing and one thing alone making me watch this, the Z word tongue.gif.

I checked out the site last night but there was just an empty big brother house with the odd flicker of interferance. Anything changed?
maian
It's all about the Brooker as far as I'm concerned. This seems like a perfect outlet for his obsession with TV, comedy, Big Brother and violence.
logger
QUOTE (fatseff1234 @ Oct 12 2008, 11:34 PM) *
There's one thing and one thing alone making me watch this, the Z word tongue.gif.

I checked out the site last night but there was just an empty big brother house with the odd flicker of interferance. Anything changed?

The site has a few little tidbits with the best being the trailers and a link to some girl writing your name on the diary room wall in her blood.
Sostie
For me it's about the satirical look at reality TV shows, the ramifications of the "Cult of celebrity" upon society and it's damning indictment of media types, whilst using the type of "celebrities" that it is attacking within the show giving it a post-modernist twist with a heap of pop culture referencing.

Bollocks to that. It's about the zombie carnage.
Jessopjessopjessop
When is it on, folks?
Sir_Robin_the_brave
According to wikipedia it starts on the 27th October and there are five episodes airing until 31st October.

Trailers look great, I'm looking forward to it. Plus it's got The Eldon in it too.
logger
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Oct 13 2008, 10:36 AM) *
five episodes airing until 31st October

Oooooh, halloween night special.
mcraigclark
This looks like it could be good. I wonder if they'll do a DVD.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Oct 13 2008, 02:40 PM) *
This looks like it could be good. I wonder if they'll do a DVD.

According to the same wikipedia article a DVD release will follow in November.
Withnail
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 12 2008, 11:24 PM) *
Dead Set site

I'm a little more excited about this now that I've seen zombie Davina in the trailer. I'm normally very wary of British drama, especially if it has a sci fi/horror angle so here's hoping.

The 'get infected' part of the site is very spooky! ohmy.gif
sleeping_pirate
I'm looking forward to this!
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Oct 13 2008, 10:36 AM) *
According to wikipedia it starts on the 27th October and there are five episodes airing until 31st October.

Thanks. I hope Craig's trip doesn't ruin my viewing enjoyment.
Rua
I'm defintely going to get my chum Dee to record it on his Sky Plus yoke I think.
mcraigclark
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Oct 13 2008, 10:48 AM) *
According to the same wikipedia article a DVD release will follow in November.

Heh, thanks.
Baz
QUOTE (mcraigclark @ Oct 13 2008, 05:39 PM) *
Heh, thanks.

You can already pre-order the dvd on the HMV site here.
eeejit
QUOTE (Withnail @ Oct 13 2008, 03:50 PM) *
The 'get infected' part of the site is very spooky! ohmy.gif

It is! I stumbled across this a couple of weeks ago and while watching that video I forgot I'd entered my name. Watching her write it on the wall before shouting for me to help her creeped me out ever so slightly..

Hidden just in case anyone wishes to see it, I don't want to be the one to give it away.
Baz
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 12 2008, 11:59 PM) *
The site has a few little tidbits with the best being the trailers and a link to some girl writing your name on the diary room wall in her blood.

Oh so much fun can be had with this.....

Silly bint can't spell all the words, she needs more blood!

Hehe
eeejit
^ juvenile, but very funny laugh.gif
sleeping_pirate
laugh.gif

It creeped me out when she spelt my name.
angle
I cant wait for this, it looks tres cool
sleeping_pirate
I'm ridiculously excited about this! I spent ages in my Uni's radio station this evening telling everyone about it and putting their names into the 'get infected' bit.
Jon 79
Shame it's only on E4. ... I don't get that.

Here's hoping it appears on tv-links... or youtube soon after.
Wife Of Rolex
Diary Room Bloodbath

Y'know, it's a real shame. I'd love to help her but I'm busy watching the telly.
logger
Kinga's better looking than I remember.
monkeyman
It's awesome so far.
logger
'Salright so far. Hopefully the cameraman will sober up by tomorrow.
sleeping_pirate
Really, really liked it.
whitey
The shaky cam got on my tits, as did the running zombies but anything that gives me Jaime Winstone all blood-spattered in tight jeans is a big yes. It was properly tense as well and featured the line "Hammer House of Horseshit." Top.
Jimmay
I liked it and it gave me the sweating palms of any zombie build up in a film. However, both Sarah and I agreed it seemed a bit dragged out. An hour and ten minutes was a bit too long to be honest and I'm interested to see what the rest of the week throws up but it looks like it would have been better as a film/two part series a la silent witness or something.
Sostie
I thought it was great stuff. Pretty tense, and plenty gory. I immediately wanted more when it ended.
maian
Just watched this thanks to 4OD and I liked it a lot. I didn't think it dragged, but that might be because I didn't have to sit through commercial breaks. It'll be interesting to see how it progresses over the week but for a first installment this was top notch stuff. I loved ''Face like a Manchester Morgue'' and the wheelchair zombie. I hope Marky or whatever his name is gets chomped sharpish or is reduced to a quivering child after his zombie attack.
Wife Of Rolex
It was alright. Although it wasn't scary in the slightest (or maybe I'm just a proper hardnut...awiiight) and the camerawork destroyed any kind of tension that should be paramount in any horror. I rolled my eyes at the shoehorning in of the "They're coming to get you Barbara,' line...twice. SotD did it with much more subtlety, and in context.

I'll only carry on watching it because the heroine is called Kelly. Good name for scissor wielding zombie killer.
Zoe
It was a hell of a lot scarier than 'Shaun of the Dead'
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 28 2008, 11:17 AM) *

I certainly thought so. The camerawork gave the whole thing a real sense of panic and unfurling chaos, though it also had really tense moments like Kelly making her way through the tunnels behind the one-way mirrors, which was particularly claustrophobic. It hit all the right notes for me.
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 28 2008, 11:17 AM) *

I meant pop referencing George Romero.

Dead Set would probably easily be classed as scarier than SotD. I just didn't find it scary...'cos I'm hawd!
Sostie
I liked the way it treated the whole situation enitirely seriously - the Big Brother element, and especially Davina as a zombie, could have been dealt with in a far more lighthearted way, shich they thankfully avoided. If it wasn't for the fact that it was zombies it could easily have been an unofficial addition to the 28 Days/Weeks Later series.

Did anyone find Shaun Of The Dead scary?
Wife Of Rolex
QUOTE (Sostie @ Oct 28 2008, 11:41 AM) *
Did anyone find Shaun Of The Dead scary?

It has a couple of gory moments - Mary in the garden and David's guts - that on first viewing made me go 'Oooh' but I wouldn't have said I found it scary. But then it didn't actually set out to be out and out scary, so on that level it works.

Dead Set clearly had some scenes that were meant to scare the audience. Didn't especially work on me but I've read elsewhere that people were genuinely freaked out by it.
logger
I liked the "smells of fingering" line. I thought the whole producer character was shit, hopefully he'll emerge as an actual character later on.

I didn't find it scary but I don't find zombies scary. I don't find anything that presents a physical threat scary. Ghost, the devil and things that don't exist scare the poop out of me.

I also liked Makosi's Kabbalah book, I hope it really was hers.
melzilla
I really enjoyed it. I was confused as to why some people were turning into zombies and some weren't though, and although I liked the serious aspects, I thought maybe they could have played on the amusing aspects a little more.
Zombie Davina was ten times as endearing as real Davina.
blackcherry
QUOTE (melzilla @ Oct 28 2008, 01:41 PM) *
Zombie Davina was ten times as endearing as real Davina.

I liked the weird little noise she made when she saw someone. It was like the noise small dinosaurs make in Jurassic Park.

I liked that the heroine is like a real person rather than a stereotype in that she keeps accidentally cheating on her boyfriend with a guy who is a bit of a knob but really pretty. Not that I'm advocating such behaviour, it's just nice to see a good character that has some realistic flaws.

The fire extinguisher bit made me think of Irreversible and turned my stomach a bit crazy4.gif
rebelstar
I thought it was great, although it maybe took a little too long to build up (one of the guys in the office turned off just before the 'scissors in head' scene, the fool). Looking forward to the rest of the week's episodes.
monkeyman
QUOTE (logger @ Oct 28 2008, 12:35 PM) *
I liked the "smells of fingering" line. I thought the whole producer character was shit, hopefully he'll emerge as an actual character later on.

I chuckled too.
weputthemdown583
Just watched it on 4oD too. I'm liking it so far. All the housemates except Kevin Eldon deserve to die straight away!
logger
QUOTE (blackcherry @ Oct 28 2008, 02:07 PM) *
I liked that the heroine is like a real person rather than a stereotype in that she keeps accidentally cheating on her boyfriend with a guy who is a bit of a knob but really pretty. Not that I'm advocating such behaviour, it's just nice to see a good character that has some realistic flaws.

Just a pity they tidied it all up by having him turn into a zombie.
angle
Nipped out Saturday and got a 15 freeview box from Argos, my logic was pay 12 for the dvd and have to wait for it or get a cheap freeview box,glad i did now.
Proper enjoyed the first episode apart from my cheap as chips box dropping the sound part way in, but after a bit of swearing and switching it off and on again it worked and i watched it again straight after on e4+1.
The shaky camera thing was a bit overdone but added to the tension,not really scary but enjoyable and jaime winstone is fit as fuck,though imagine if you went out with her,the whole meet my dad thing could be a tad intimidating!
Llama
QUOTE (angle @ Oct 28 2008, 04:42 PM) *
jaime winstone is fit as fuck,though imagine if you went out with her,the whole meet my dad thing could be a tad intimidating!

That would be so awesome. You get her and you get to meet her pops. I'm going to find out where she lives and persue her until she loves me. That's how it works right?
angle
tongue.gif only if you're a scary puppy Llama
maian
Another really good episode tonight, though the abrupt ending did make me wonder if the show was actually 3 episodes originally and they've split the second and third in two to air it over five nights. It certainly seemed like they were building up to something only for it to be delayed by 24 hours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.