Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top of the Pops '08
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Jessopjessopjessop
It might be a touch early to review the whole year, but what records had you rocking in oh-eight? What brand new albums did you buy and love? What did you hate? For me 2008 has been very strong musically, with old favourites and new discoveries tickling my lobes like kittens' tounges. Here are some of my best ones in roughly chronological order:

Goldfrapp: Seventh Tree
Guillemots: Red
Sigur Ros: meš suš ķ eyrum viš spilum endalaust
Hybrid: Hybrid Soundsystem 01
M83: Saturdays=Youth
Radiohead: In Rainbows
Lindstrom: Where You Go I Go Too
Sasha: Invol2ver

Some ideas for categories you could consider (feel free to add more):

Best Album:
Best New Act:
Best Compilation:
Best Soundtrack:
Worst Album:
Silliest Pop Haircut:
Most Overrated Razorlight:

Do it!
maian
The only album released this year that I can remember buying was Stay Positive by The Hold Steady, which is a fantastic album that I've enjoyed an awful lot.

Oh, and The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow, which is probably my favourite of the two.

I've a lot to catch up one.
Jon 79
As usual, I've bought several albums this year (Bowie, Belle & Sebastian, Arcade Fire, Hendrix, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Beck)... but not much that's actually new. I think the only new one is James' album Hey Ma.... which is excellent.
Jimmay
This year has been Elbow's year for me. Having never listened to any of their stuff before to Seldom Seen Kid being played pretty much every day through October they have really soared up my list of favourites. However, remembering back to earlier in the year, Red was played until the CD wore thin and culminated in seeing them live which was a fantastic gig. I have also dug out Lost Souls by The Doves which I have had for years but never really played and have fallen in love with that album so its been a combination of old and new.

However, most disappointing album for me was Sigur Ros' new one. As a fan of their work for a long while with even Von for all it's bizzare tracks having a special place in my heart, I found Meš suš just didn't do much for me. It had the odd track which hit the spot but on the whole I was left unsatisfied by it which is a real shame. I hope to revisit it sometime and hopefully find something new but that does stand out as a bit of a low point for me.
Sostie
Off the top of my head I'd say my favourite albums have been by Jim Jones Revue, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Los Campensinos, Kitty, Daisy & Lewis, Wild Billy Childish & The Musicians Of The British Empire, Ting Tings, The Teenagers, Ladyhawke and MGMT

Singles: "Homecoming" - The Teenagers, "Promise" - Girls Aloud and "Shut Up & Let Me Go" - Ting Tings.
Ade
I can't say there have been a great many albums that have grabbed my attention this year, but the handful that really struck a chord were (in approximate preferential order):

MGMT - 'Oracular Spectacular'
Does It Offend You, Yeah? - 'You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into'
M83 - 'Saturdays = Youth'
Coldplay - 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends'
Goldfrapp - 'Seventh Tree'
Chumbawamba - 'The Boy Bands Have Won'
Royworld - 'Man In The Machine'
Francis and the Lights - 'A Meaningful Promise (EP)'

I'd fully expected Supergrass to deliver the goods as per usual, but they turned out a rather boring album indeed. So, the 'sour grape' mark goes to them this year.
Wife Of Rolex
Haven't bought much this year, though there's plenty on my "to seek out" and "will get round to" lists. I've only managed 2 significant purchases from this year's releases:

Jim Noir - Jim Noir
Couples - The Long Blondes

Both vigorously enjoyable.

QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 11 2008, 08:53 PM) *
I can't say there have been a great many albums that have grabbed my attention this year, but the handful that really struck a chord were (in approximate preferential order):

MGMT - 'Oracular Spectacular'
Does It Offend You, Yeah? - 'You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into'
M83 - 'Saturdays = Youth'
Coldplay - 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends'
Goldfrapp - 'Seventh Tree'
Chumbawamba - 'The Boy Bands Have Won'
Royworld - 'Man In The Machine'
Francis and the Lights - 'A Meaningful Promise (EP)'

Ahh, M83 have been on my "to seek out" list for a couple of weeks. Would you say this should be my next purchase or can it go on the "will get round to" list?
Ade
I would say M83's album is a necessary purchase, indeed.

I'm mostly certain the Jessops and Sir Robin would agree.
Jimmay
I've heard nothing but good things about MGMT but don't know whether I've heard any of their stuff yet. Thats going on the purchase list.
Raven
I've not bought, downloaded or listened to one piece of music that has been released this year.
Nonus Aequilibrium
The ones I can think of:

Opeth - Watershed
In Flames - A Sense of Purpose
Disturbed - Indestructible
Testament - The Formation of Damnation
Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted

The first three were excellent, the other two, merely good.

I have bought a few excellent albums this year that were slightly older, The Blue by Novembre and The Last Kind Words by Devildriver being the best. There was also Year Zero by Nine Inch Nails, The Outlaws first album (after hearing Green Grass and High Tides on Rock Band).
Jessopjessopjessop
Wot, no Katie Melua?
Nonus Aequilibrium
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Nov 13 2008, 09:54 AM) *
Wot, no Katie Melua?

Ooh, I forgot all about her.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 12 2008, 09:54 AM) *
I would say M83's album is a necessary purchase, indeed.

I'm mostly certain the Jessops and Sir Robin would agree.

I most certainly would. It's a good 'un.

This year's releases I rate highly:

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Martina Topley Bird - The Blue God
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement
M83 - Saturdays=Youth (got it right this time)
Bloc Party - Intimacy

Older stuff I got into this year:

Jamie T. - Panic Prevention
Peter Bjorn & John - Writer's Block
The Go! Team - Proof of Youth
Ian Brown - The Greatest/Music of the Spheres

I was annoyed by:

The Ting Tings, Scouting for Girls "covering" London Calling and their continued existence generally, The Stereophonics being allowed to release another plodding MOR pub rock waste of everyones time and the lack of promised new albums by Mylo and Lily Allen.
logger
Since I've stopped listening to Rob Da Bank regularly this year has pretty much passed me by. The only release I got from this year that I can think of was MGMT which was ok but not as good as I'd hoped it would be.
Wife Of Rolex
Well, I guess M83 will be my next purchase then. Though, that could be well into next year if my current money situation continues.

Despite not actually buying much music, plenty of new tracks this year have caught my ear. Favourites being...

I Will Possess Your Heart - Death Cab For Cutie
Wearing My Rolex - Wiley
Heartbeat - Kate Goes...
When you Touch Me - Freemasons
That's Not My Name/Shut Up And Let Me Go - The Ting Tings
Century/I'm Going To Hell - The Long Blondes
On A Different Shelf - Jim Noir
Love You Anyway - Boyzone
This Sweet Love - James Yuill
A Kiss With A Fist - Florence And The Machine
Happiness - Goldfrapp
Half Asleep - School Of Seven Bells
Around The Bend - The Asteroids Galaxy Tour
Move - CSS

There's been more but that's what I can think of for now.
Sostie
My award for the biggest pile of pretentious wankery bar one passable track goes to the Foals CD

The Please Once And For All Fuck Off Award goes to Nickelback
Bloomeeney
QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 13 2008, 03:58 PM) *

Surely the other nominees for this award should be Coldplay, Keane and Dido
Sostie
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Nov 17 2008, 11:10 AM) *
Surely the other nominees for this award should be Coldplay, Keane and Dido

They are not even a fraction as bad as Nickelback. Plus they don't vanish for a few years, leaving you thinking "thank fuck that's over" before unleashing, out of the blue, another pile of shite that seems to hang aeround like a bad stink for months on end.
Bloomeeney
^ Not a fan then.................... wink.gif
Ade
QUOTE (Sostie @ Nov 13 2008, 03:58 PM) *

POA-FA-FOA*. It has a nice acronymous ring to it.

eta: * Sounds a bit like "Por favor", depending on your pronouncification.
Hobbes
It's been a really good year as far as I'm concerned. My favourite albums of the year are probably the following, though I cannot pick out one as my favourite from the bunch, they're all well worth your cash and time:

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love
Seasick Steve - I Started Out With Nothin' and I Still Got Most of it Left
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cardinology
Kings of Leon - Only By the Night
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

I have really enjoyed every single one of these which is really rare for me, but they are truly all fantastic. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals produced yet another excellent album and are still woefully unheralded, and I absolutely rinsed City and Colour's album when it came out. Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver's albums are absolutely tremendous and wonderfully instrumentalised.

Of course you can't mention unique instruments without talking about Seasick Steve, who I love. His music isn't the most complex in the world, but it's great to listen to and he always sounds like he's having the time of his life on the record, which really comes across in the music. Another great album from him.

Kings of Leon's album was also predicatably good, thye just seem incapable of making an album I won't like. Good lads, they are.
Ade
A bit too early to say yet, since I've only just acquired it, but Emiliana Torrini's third English language album, Me And Armini is pretty good stuff so far.

Her first album Love In The Time Of Science was pretty good, if a bit mainstream (not that she was really noticed by the general public), with production and some songs co-written with Tears For Fears' Roland Orzabal. The follow up was a bit too folksy for my taste, but this new one has some very interesting sounds. Could likely be one of my '08 faves after a few more listens.

For those who don't know who she is, she sang Gollum's Song over the end credits of The Two Towers.
logger
I have the second album, didn't know she's released another this year, will have to check it out.
Wife Of Rolex
Late entry for my favourite songs of the year list goes to William's Blood by Grace Jones.
logger
I see nobody has said Portishead.
Sostie
Two great albums I forgot to mention were the ones by Sons & Daughters and Lykke Li.

Portishead was OK.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (logger @ Dec 1 2008, 06:09 PM) *

I'd stick it in my Top 5, f'sure! But I need to give my other choices a bit more thought before I chime in with my 'Review of the Year' so to speak.
Ade
QUOTE (logger @ Dec 1 2008, 06:09 PM) *

That's because it was a fucking depressing album.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Ade @ Dec 1 2008, 11:27 PM) *
That's because it was a fucking depressing album.

Oh, absolutely. Gloomy and at some points terrifying. A difficult album certainly, but a rewarding experience to listen to.
logger
After tracking down a song used on an advert I'm currently going through Santogold's album track by track on youtube. Would probably be one of my choices if I wasn't an old fogey and let all the new music pass me by.
maian
I'd agree with that. I saw her at a festival in Manchester over the summer and she was sublime. The album is very good too, I just don't own a copy and rely on listening to my housemate's instead.
Ade
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Dec 3 2008, 01:43 PM) *
Oh, absolutely. Gloomy and at some points terrifying. A difficult album certainly, but a rewarding experience to listen to.

I don't consider wanting to slit my wrists much of a reward. wink.gif But then I've never really seen the appeal of Portishead, bar the odd one or two tracks.

Incidentally, if you like gloomy and terrifying, give Scott Walker's The Drift a listen. And Tilt too, if you're a glutton for punishment.
Hobbes
I'd second Lykke Li, it's a great little album and has been overlooked by too many people. Brilliant stuff.
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Wife Of Rolex @ Nov 13 2008, 03:48 PM) *
That's Not My Name/Shut Up And Let Me Go - The Ting Tings

A million times no.
Miss Shazam
QUOTE (Bloomeeney @ Nov 17 2008, 11:42 AM) *
^ Not a fan then.................... wink.gif

Do you blame him? They are beyond shit.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Starscream`s Ghost @ Dec 7 2008, 03:58 PM) *
A million times no.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Aside from Decode (Paramore), Sex on Fire (Kings of Leon) and Human (The Killers), I really am at a loss when it comes to thinking of any songs or albums that came out this year that I actually liked.
maian
Even though it's only the third album from this year that I've bought, Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!! would definitely make it into a theoretical top 10 for me. Absolutely superb dark and dirty rock with the sophistication and wit of the best of Cave's work. It's staggering that they can still be this good and swaggering on their 14th studio album.
dandan
i'll add some love for 'lykke li'...

the album is rather ace, she was fab live and 'el perro del mar' was excellent in support...

hardly bought anything this year.

i've been rediscovering my vinyl and mainly listening to tappa zuke, price fari, mikey dread, king tubby, jah stitch and a load of seventies dub. ace.

then, there's been the reissue of jeri southern's 'southern breeze' album, wanter wanderlay's 'rain forest', a bunch of bossa nova stuff.

gig highlights were my bloody valentine, public enemy, action beat, rampant rabbit, a place to bury strangers, oxes, putting on the ritz, felix cubin, quack quack, nissenen mondai, two minute noodles and a load of others who i can't remember.
Zoe
I think my song of the year might be 'On a day like this'.

Because I am soppy and I really like the phrase, "holy cow".
Kick in the Head
My Top 10 albums:

1) O Soundtrack My Heart - Pivot
2) Seventh Tree - Goldfrapp
3) Third - Portishead
4) Santogold - Santogold
5) We Ate The Machine - Polysics
6) Oracular Spectacular - MGMT
7) Superabundance - Young Knives
8) Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
9) The Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow
10) Only By The Night - Kings of Leon

A few extra singles I liked...American Boy - Estelle, The Promise - Girls Aloud (it made me appreciate pop again, so that's gotta be something), Another Way To Die - Jack White & Alicia Keys (because I'm the only one who thinks it's the best Bond song since Nobody Does It Better)...

And best gigs: YMO and Blade Runner at Royal Festival Hall, Pivot and Goldfrapp at Glastonbury, Cornelius at Shepherd's Bush Empire, Soil & "Pimp" Sessions at the Roundhouse...
maian
QUOTE (Zoe @ Dec 17 2008, 03:45 PM) *
I think my song of the year might be 'On a day like this'.

Because I am soppy and I really like the phrase, "holy cow".

I've only just realised that you mean ''One Day Like This''. My mind is slow of late.
Ade
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jan 2 2009, 03:27 PM) *
1) O Soundtrack My Heart - Pivot

I was so very close to purchasing that recently, but didn't know whether it was going to prove to be one of those utter disappointments despite all the great reviews.

I may well chance a little monetary gamble on it now.
dandan
in the last few weeks, two albums have been in constant rotation;

people like us & ergo phizmiz - perpetuum mobile
kitty, daisy & lewis - kitty, daisy & lewis

both are super, super, super...
PrincessKate
QUOTE (dandan @ Jan 9 2009, 12:27 PM) *
kitty, daisy & lewis - kitty, daisy & lewis

Agreed. Its very infectious.
Sostie
Polly put the kettle on, the kettle on, the kettle on.....
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 9 2009, 01:29 PM) *
Polly put the kettle on, the kettle on, the kettle on.....

Thanks, I wanted that in the back of my mind all day...
Handsome Mike
I'm struggling to think of anything 'new' i've heard this year... maybe ida maria... she's alright.

I used to get really excited about music.
Zoe
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 3 2009, 02:11 AM) *
I've only just realised that you mean ''One Day Like This''. My mind is slow of late.

I'm too cool to know the actual titles of songs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.