Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burke and Hare
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > Spaced: Above and Beyond > Cast Watch
Pages: 1, 2
Kick in the Head
A new black comedy from John Landis is truly something to look forward to (and with Sam Raimi's triumphant return to horror in Drag Me To Hell, hey hey, it could be good!), and it was previously announced that Simon Pegg was to be one of the two leads. And he'll be sharing top billing with none other than...

David Tennant

..which sounds like a great opportunity for some post-Who mugging, yes? Personally, I think it's great news, and the film's got good potential to be a fun grisly movie.
Starscream`s Ghost
I'm still not convinced with the 'black comedy' angle. They wouldn't consider a dark romp through the streets of Whitechapel featuring Jack the Comedy Ripper, for instance.

Although 'From Hell' wasn't that far removed from that, I s'pose.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Oct 11 2009, 09:18 PM) *
A new black comedy from John Landis is truly something to look forward to (and with Sam Raimi's triumphant return to horror in Drag Me To Hell, hey hey, it could be good!), and it was previously announced that Simon Pegg was to be one of the two leads. And he'll be sharing top billing with none other than...

David Tennant

..which sounds like a great opportunity for some post-Who mugging, yes? Personally, I think it's great news, and the film's got good potential to be a fun grisly movie.

Haha - sounds brilliant because the accents might not be truly terrible. David and Simon will be spectacular working together.

I hope they film it here.
widowspider
Oooh, sounds delicious and fun. Look forward to this one!
Zoe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 27 2009, 03:01 AM) *
'An American Werewolf in London' (1981)

Looked fantastic on a big screen, and we got to watch it in the company of not only John Landis but also Jenny Agutter. She looked fantastic on a big screen and in her cinema seat.

News from the screening:

Landis has sold the rights for a remake to Dimension

His next project is a Burke and Hare film which will be "75% accurate". It starts filming in Edinburgh soon and he said it will have a big name in the cast which will cause a bit of a stir when it's announced in a couple of weeks.

EDIT: Oh and he did talk about Michael Jackson when asked. He said he liked him a lot, he was nuts, but he liked him a lot.

I love la Tennant (as we all know), but Landis was spinning us a bit of a yarn there.
Ade
Tennant and Pegg, what a marvellous pairing. Sounds damned promising to me.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 12 2009, 02:40 PM) *
Tennant and Pegg, what a marvellous pairing. Sounds damned promising to me.

I'm going to follow them around like a MENTAL.

Not really.

Or - haha really.

You decide.
melzilla
This sounds fun. I approve.
Llama
I'm worried that it's written by the same people who wrote St. Trinian's 1 and 2.
Raven
According to Digital Spy, Simon - posting on his Twitter page - has said that David Tennant is out and is being replaced by Andy Serkis.
whitey
Gutted. I make an excellent poor man's Tennant.
widowspider
QUOTE (whitey @ Jan 22 2010, 04:23 AM) *
Gutted. I make an excellent poor man's Tennant.

You can be my poor man's Tennant any day. Fnar.
maian
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 21 2010, 02:12 PM) *
According to Digital Spy, Simon - posting on his Twitter page - has said that David Tennant is out and is being replaced by Andy Serkis.

Interesting. I like David Tennant but Andy Serkis is - in my humble opinon - a better actor and I can see him doing better in that sort of role than Tennant.
Raven
BBC a bit behind the curve on this one . . .
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 23 2010, 10:04 AM) *
Interesting. I like David Tennant but Andy Serkis is - in my humble opinon - a better actor and I can see him doing better in that sort of role than Tennant.

I agree.

I'm quite looking forward to this. smile.gif
tigerlily
There was an extras casting for this in Edinburgh in December I've just realised. I got an email about it from the drama group I'm in but I was too employed to go for it.

For stalking purposes the email said that filming is scheduled to take place in Edinburgh and Stirling in February.
whitey
I'm in Edinburgh in February and everything. I wonder if I'll get a glimpse of a Landis...
grumpygit
simonpegg
Just had the Burke & Hare read thru. Great cast. Some lovely unannounced surprises to come. Stay tuned for them. There will be squeeeeees.
about 1 hour ago from TweetDeck

Jess? smile.gif
weputthemdown583
Me and a few uni mates applied to be extras for this today on a site called 'UNIversal Extras'. We got phone calls a few hours later, asking us to come in for a fitting tomorrow!! I'm so excitedddd, never done this before!
sweetbutinsane
Cool! Good luck and have fun. smile.gif
Everlong
QUOTE (weputthemdown583 @ Jan 27 2010, 11:15 PM) *
Me and a few uni mates applied to be extras for this today on a site called 'UNIversal Extras'. We got phone calls a few hours later, asking us to come in for a fitting tomorrow!! I'm so excitedddd, never done this before!

Nice, enjoy that!
weputthemdown583
We had our costume fitting earlier on today. We're gonna be 19th century anatomy students biggrin.gif
My friend on the left wasn't too pleased with his costume compared to mine (not pictured - we didn't get to take a pic of me, cos we were trying to take the pics stealthily).

My costume is kinda similar to my mates, but more sophisticated looking! I'll try to get a pic when we're next in. We film @ Ealing studios, Luton and Kent over 7 days in February.
Llama
Looks like fun! I am jealous.
AusChick
^ What she said!
sweetbutinsane
Agreed. Very cool stuff. smile.gif
CazBag
Looking at the IMDb Page for this film Jess, Bill Bailey, Reece Shearsmith and Michael Smiley are all in it too! That would be very cool!
AusChick
QUOTE (CazBag @ Feb 1 2010, 07:15 AM) *
Looking at the IMDb Page for this film Jess, Bill Bailey, Reece Shearsmith and Michael Smiley are all in it too! That would be very cool!

Brilliant!
Hope they are all true.

Simon said there were more pleasant casting surprises to come smile.gif
grumpygit
Oh Yes!!!
Astrid
I am very much stalking this month! Need to find out when they will be out and about and where!

Sefi, you with me?

Ax
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (CazBag @ Jan 31 2010, 08:15 PM) *

Happy times. smile.gif
grumpygit
FULL CAST LINE-UP ANNOUNCED FOR EALING STUDIOS' "BURKE & HARE" WITH JOHN LANDIS AT THE HELM

Landis returns to the UK for start of principal photography on new comedy starring Simon Pegg, Andy Serkis, Isla Fisher, Jessica Hynes and Tom Wilkinson.

London, 4th February 2010: An award-winning international cast has joined "BURKE & HARE", the new film from legendary director JOHN LANDIS (An American Werewolf in London, Blues Brothers, Michael Jackson's Thriller). Principal photography commenced on 31st January around London, Edinburgh and Ealing Studios with SIMON PEGG (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Star Trek, Spaced), as William Burke and recent BAFTA-nominee ANDY SERKIS (Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, Lord of the Rings, King Kong) as William Hare, the notorious Edinburgh murderers.

ISLA FISHER (Wedding Crashers, Confessions of a Shopaholic) takes on the role of Ginny, an ambitious young actress and the object of Burke's affections and JESSICA HYNES ne้ Stevenson (Spaced, Son of Rambow, Shaun of the Dead) as Hare's long suffering wife Lucky. The supporting cast consists of the cream of British acting and comedy talent including: Oscar-nominee TOM WILKINSON (The Full Monty, Michael Clayton), TIM CURRY (Rocky Horror Picture Show), RONNIE CORBETT (Extras), REECE SHEARSMITH (League of Gentlemen), DAVID SCHOFIELD (Pirates of the Caribbean), ALLAN CORDUNER (Topsy Turvey), BAFTA Award-winner BILL BAILEY (Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang, Black Books), HUGH BONNEVILLE (Notting Hill), MICHAEL SMILEY (Spaced) and SIR CHRISTOPHER LEE (Lord of the Rings).

According to Landis: "BURKE & HARE is a very black romantic comedy in the classic tradition of the Ealing Studios' Kind Hearts and Coronets and The Ladykillers".

"BURKE & HARE" is a comedic take on the true story of the 1828 Edinburgh body-snatchers William Burke (Simon Pegg) and William Hare (Andy Serkis). These two Irish entrepreneurs discover that a dead body can fetch a hefty price when the demands of the leading medical professors Dr. Knox (Tom Wilkinson) and Dr. Monroe (Tim Curry) reach beyond that of the local supply.

"BURKE & HARE" is produced by Barnaby Thompson (Dorian Gray, St Trinian's 1+2), executive produced by Nigel Green, James Spring, Paul Brett, Tim Smith and is written by Piers Ashworth and Nick Moorcroft (St Trinian's 1+2). Director of Photography is Oscar Nominee John Mathieson (Gladiator), production designer is Simon Elliott (Bleak House), costume designer is Oscar Nominee Deborah Nadoolman (An American Werewolf in London, Trading Places, Raiders of the Lost Ark) and Hair & Make Up design is by Oscar Winner Christine Blundell (Sherlock Holmes, Topsy Turvy).

Entertainment Film Distributors has taken the UK rights to Ealing Studios' latest production. Ealing Studios International are handling worldwide sales.

An Entertainment Film Distributors and Ealing Studios Presentation of a Fragile Film in association with Aegis Film Fund and Prescience.
AusChick
Brilliant cast.
Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out.
Everlong
Awesome cast.

Bit of a Spaced Reunion too.. Simon Pegg, Jessica Hynes, Bill Bailey, Reece Shearsmith, and Michael Smiley.
Wife Of Rolex
From Simon's Twitter about 5 minutes ago...

Today John Landis directed a scene with my 7 month old daughter in his arms. I have been a fan of his since I was 13. Squee doesn't cover it
PrincessKate
Oh that is just too cool!
sweetbutinsane
Agreed. Can't wait! smile.gif
AusChick
Mr Pegg WINs the internet!
Ade
What a great cast. I've got really high hopes for this.
weputthemdown583
What a day! Had my first day of extras work on Burke & Hare today. We had such a good day biggrin.gif
We did scenes with Michael Smiley and Tom Wilkinson. There were fake dead bodies with maggots! It was so interesting to see how everything works on a film set, especially watching John Landis do his thing. He just knows exactly what he wants and doesn't take any shit from anyone. He's really funny too. Landis phoned up Andy Serkis and got all of us extras to shout down the phone, "CONGRATULATIONS ANDYYYYYY!"

It actually took me about 20minutes to realize that it was Michael in the scenes today, it was as soon as he broke out of character and his Holywood accent came through. I really wanted to shout "I just wish sometimes i could control these FUCKING-MOOD-SWINGS"

I'll put a few more costume pics up tomorrow, but won't put up any set photos cause I could probably get in trouble....simon might be watching ssshhh

Anyway that's one day down 5 more to go, yaay!
AusChick
Yay! Sounds like loads of fun.
Thanks for sharing details with us.
I look forward to hearing more about it too.
Llama
Sounds awesome.
Raven
Jenny Agutter added to the cast.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (weputthemdown583 @ Feb 9 2010, 11:46 PM) *
Anyway that's one day down 5 more to go, yaay!

Very jealous. smile.gif
grumpygit
QUOTE (weputthemdown583 @ Feb 9 2010, 11:46 PM) *
We did scenes with Michael Smiley and Tom Wilkinson.

Oi! Oi! You lucky people!
weputthemdown583
Day 2: Another great day on set biggrin.gif
This time we were filming near Tower Bridge in an old theatre. Simon, Jess, Andy and Isla were all on set. For most of the scenes, I was on a side balcony by the stage, so I got a good view of things...From where I was sitting, everytime I looked down below me; where Simon, Jess and Andy were sitting, all I could see was Jess's massive corset cleavage! I'm sure she caught me glancing down at one point haha. It was really cool and sweet to see Simon and Jess sitting, chatting away to each other between takes, I just wish I could've been chatting with them smile.gif

Isla Fisher was the star of the theatre production being filmed. Poor John Landis (who had lost his voice) had to constantly run back and forth to Isla to give her extra direction...It seemed like she wasn't listening to his direction and Landis was getting noticeably agitated. Everytime Landis yelled CUT!, Isla (who was on the stage, while Landis was at the back of the theatre at the monitors) would slip down into her chair and squirm, she looked geniunely terrified every time he came bounding down towards her.

Simon and Jess were also joking back and forth with Isla between these takes. I loved hearing Jess's unmistakably loud laugh on several occasions hehe. At one point Isla was doing an impression of a gorilla, thumping on the table, then she pointed out Andy Serkis and quiped, "you'd be good at that!"

Next up, we'll be filming three days in a row! Gonna be fun/tiring/FUN!
AusChick
QUOTE (weputthemdown583 @ Feb 12 2010, 10:40 AM) *
Day 2: Another great day on set biggrin.gif
This time we were filming near Tower Bridge in an old theatre. Simon, Jess, Andy and Isla were all on set. For most of the scenes, I was on a side balcony by the stage, so I got a good view of things...From where I was sitting, everytime I looked down below me; where Simon, Jess and Andy were sitting, all I could see was Jess's massive corset cleavage! I'm sure she caught me glancing down at one point haha. It was really cool and sweet to see Simon and Jess sitting, chatting away to each other between takes, I just wish I could've been chatting with them smile.gif

Isla Fisher was the star of the theatre production being filmed. Poor John Landis (who had lost his voice) had to constantly run back and forth to Isla to give her extra direction...It seemed like she wasn't listening to his direction and Landis was getting noticeably agitated. Everytime Landis yelled CUT!, Isla (who was on the stage, while Landis was at the back of the theatre at the monitors) would slip down into her chair and squirm, she looked geniunely terrified every time he came bounding down towards her.

Simon and Jess were also joking back and forth with Isla between these takes. I loved hearing Jess's unmistakably loud laugh on several occasions hehe. At one point Isla was doing an impression of a gorilla, thumping on the table, then she pointed out Andy Serkis and quiped, "you'd be good at that!"

Next up, we'll be filming three days in a row! Gonna be fun/tiring/FUN!

Brilliant!

Can't wait to hear about the next 3 days (once you've recovered from it!)
sweetbutinsane
You're making me more jealous each day! happy.gif
weputthemdown583
It's all over :'(
Finished the 6 days of filming, Had a really great time smile.gif

Day 3...
This was the start of the 3 days in a row shoot. We had to wake up at 3.45am for these shoots! The scenes took place in Sevenoaks, Kent. They were all outdoor scenes and luckily for us, the weather was teeerrible! Snow, rain, hailstones! It's actually a miracle that none of us got sick haha. The main scenes took place in a really cool market place that was constructed inside a lovely country estate. There were cows, sheep and horses. One of the cows was quite uptight about people walking behind it and if you got too close...it would kick you reeeally fast! I saw quite a few people almost getting killed by it, John Landis included! There was also gallows for a couple of hangings! Key people on set on this day weeere...Simon Pegg (Landis got everyone to sing happy birthday when he arrived! He also gave Simon a wrapped up dvd, I think it was some sort of zombie film), Bill Bailey (beardless....!!!!?????!!?) and Isla Fisher. I got to stand beside Isla in one shot (cos I was smartly dressed!). We had to film loads of bits where we're yelling/cheering/booing at whoever was getting hanged. We also had to film bits where we just walk around the market place, pretending to do market stuff haha.

Day 4...
Almost exactly the same as before, except there were no animals and there was less extras. Peggers, Bailey, Ronnie Corbitt and Reese Shearsmith were on set. In one of the shots, they had Ronnie and Reece standing on a cart and I was in the background hanging out a window, waving my top hat about, John Landis was shouting up at me to hang out further!

Day 5...
The animals were back biggrin.gif On set were, Pegg, Bailey and Michael Smiley. We did a lot of walking about the market this day! At one point we were about to film more of the walking about the market type scenes when Pegg, walked through with Minnie biggrin.gif I almost squeee'd when I turned around and saw them both! He ran off with her when he realised they were filming! Near the end of this day, me and a few friends hid in a barn, were Landis had his monitors set up, so we were able to watch some of the shots being filmed, really, really interesting.

We had a nice two day break after these days.

Day 6...
We filmed near Heathrow in some historic building. On set were Pegg, Tim Curry, Isla Fisher and Jessica Hynes. I didn't see Isla or Jess film anything, but I was waiting outside the costume room and Jess came out and I just said...Heeello in a kind of shocked voice and she said, "Gentlemen." in a funny Jess-voice! The scenes we were filming were autopsy scenes with Tim Curry being gruesome! There was blood and guts flying about!

Well that was a really cool, fun experience and I'm seriously gonna miss getting up at stupid oclock for filming. Can't wait to see the film now biggrin.gif
sweetbutinsane
Glad to hear you had a brilliant time! We'll have to look out for you when we see the film. biggrin.gif
AusChick
Awesome!
Glad you had fun Matthew.
And thanks for sharing the details with us. I've enjoyed reading about it.

From Pegg's Twitter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.