Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Festivals 2010
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
ella
Festival season is on its way - is anyone going to any this year?

I've just booked day tickets for Friday at Reading - Biffy Clyro and Mumford and Sons. It will be my first festival and I'm really quite looking forward to it. Especially as I can park at work an walk over!

Might try to make Relentless Boardmasters as well but it depends if the line-up improves.
NiteFall
I'm off to Download again this year. Really looking forward to seeing 2 out of the 3 headliners- AC/DC and Aerosmith have been on my "to see" list for ages, but Rage Against The Machine I've seen several times before and they just seem to get a little worse each time.
maian
I'm going to Glastonbury this year. Even though the line-up hasn't filled me with hope so far, I know a lot of people who will be going so hopefully it'll be fun regardless of the acts.
Everlong
May be doing High Voltage. Prog and rock goodness.

Might do Wireless but I've not seen the line-up yet. I'd also like to hit smaller festivals this year, like Summer Sundae etc, they normally have a decent line-up.
Everlong
LED Festival

Looks like it might be good. Already quite like the Sunday.
Henry Krinkle
The Glastonbury lineup is revealed

I'll be taking my first foray into festivals with Glastonbury this year. If all goes well, we'll look at doing Burning Man next year.
Like Maian, I'm not filled with excitement at the acts.
I've actually made a list of 'must sees', and a list of 'I'll see if I remember to'.
I have 2 Must Sees and 8 in the other category. Cabaret tent it is then...
maian
I'm actually much more positive about it now than I was. There's a solid 20 acts on there that have me interested, and from past experience of the festival I know that there will be plenty of smaller acts and weird little things going on to keep it interesting. Of the announced acts, I think I'm most interested in seeing George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic.
Henry Krinkle
The small, weird stuff is what I'm looking forward to.
Also, Doctor Krinkle says she was a bit scared walking through Trash City at night when previously there. Apparently, people were all made up to look frightening.
I figure that if I walk through it with her and look completely non-scared I'll be regarded as a hero.

Like when I forced myself to not look scared when we watched Paranormal Activity at the pictures.
Igmeister
I'm, as usual, off t'WOMAD for the 9th year in a row. Not a bad line-up announced so far.
Particularly looking forward to Gil Scott Heron, Nouvelle Vague, Rolf Harris and Horace Andy.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (Igmeister @ Apr 15 2010, 01:14 PM) *
Nouvelle Vague.

Awesome.
They're at Glastonbury too. They're on my must see list.
They played a gig near me recently, but tickets were a steep 92 each. Bah.
Ade
QUOTE (Everlong @ Apr 13 2010, 10:21 AM) *
LED Festival

Looks like it might be good. Already quite like the Sunday.

What? Watching the cleaners tidying up everyone's detritus? wink.gif

My mate is trying to talk me into going on the Saturday. Certainly Aphex Twin is an interesting extra, although I can't say I'm overly bothered. But, Goldfrapp and Leftfield? Hallo!

That said, I'm extremely reluctant to part with 45+ when I still owe my mate the ticket money for the gig I couldn't make it down for in January because of the fuckin' snow. But dagnabbit, I want to go!!
Everlong
QUOTE (Ade @ Apr 21 2010, 07:09 PM) *
What? Watching the cleaners tidying up everyone's detritus? wink.gif

Haha, sorry, thinking it's Saturday and Sunday like most festivals.

And 45 is less than a lot of festivals too, I'm just going to wait to see who else is announced. Goldfrapp, leftfield and aphex twin are definitely tempting though.

Ade
QUOTE (Everlong @ Apr 21 2010, 08:04 PM) *
And 45 is less than a lot of festivals too

That's as maybe. It's still 45 I ain't got.
fatseff1234
I want to go to Sonisphere to see Rammstein.

I might just wait and see if they do a UK tour though.
widowspider
I really want to find some good festivals on the East Coast to go to/try and promote my band to. There's just not as much mainstream interest in festivals here as there is in the UK and I can never seem to find out much info on the ones that do exist, with the exceptions of massive ones like Coachella which are nowhere near me and waaaay too expensive because of that.
Jubei
Yay, ordered my Big Chill ticket today!
Jimmay
I think I may be going here to ease Sarah into festivals after the disaster that was her first Reading two years ago. It's a bit late in the year so the weather may be an issue but it's a bit of a family festival, has some decent(ish) music and good food by the look of it, plus it's about half the price of other festivals so that's a bonus.
widowspider
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Jun 3 2010, 11:03 AM) *
I think I may be going here to ease Sarah into festivals after the disaster that was her first Reading two years ago. It's a bit late in the year so the weather may be an issue but it's a bit of a family festival, has some decent(ish) music and good food by the look of it, plus it's about half the price of other festivals so that's a bonus.

That one sounds fun!
maian
My Glastonbury ticket arrived today! Now, to buy a tent and everything else.
Kick in the Head
I had my holiday confirmed for Glastonbury yesterday, so I booked my train ticket, all set to go, and then they drop a bomb at work today saying it wasn't approved, it's not confirmed and I have to go work in South Africa instead. And they're been super coy about whether or not I'll be back in time. So a couple hundred quid down the drain, no music festy fun, and I have to go do a hellish amount of work in a World Cup super nightmare. No fun. mad.gif
blackcherry
We are performing a bit of the HTSAZA show at the Lovebox festival and the night we stay over is when Roxy Music are headlining so I get to see them for free! Yay!
maian
Is it strange that the thing I'm most excited about seeing at Glastonbury is Toy Story 3? (Assuming that is the secret film on the Sunday. Based on their track record of screening Pixar films, it seems very likely.)
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 20 2010, 11:06 AM) *
Is it strange that the thing I'm most excited about seeing at Glastonbury is Toy Story 3? (Assuming that is the secret film on the Sunday. Based on their track record of screening Pixar films, it seems very likely.)

No, it's not. It's often one of the guaranteed festival highlights.

It also seems super likely considering they are showing Toy Story 1 and 2 the previous mornings. As much as the new location of the cinema in the grounds is more central and the fact that it's in a marquee better for weather, I still miss the giant outdoor screen they used to have. Watching Wall-E in the open air at night under a starry sky was chilly but an absolutely beautiful experience.

I can now officially get excited for Glastonbury as it seems highly unlikely I'll be pulled away from it for work now. Don't really have any major clash issues this year either, or at least I'll be able to catch part of each of the ones that do cross-over. That is except for Gorillaz/Flaming Lips. I was happy when U2 were playing, but now they've pulled out, I think I'm going to have to see Gorillaz instead. Already seen Flaming Lips live (at Glastonbury no less) and wanted to see them again, but it'll be harder to see Gorillaz live again I'd imagine.
maian
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jun 20 2010, 12:38 PM) *
I can now officially get excited for Glastonbury as it seems highly unlikely I'll be pulled away from it for work now. Don't really have any major clash issues this year either, or at least I'll be able to catch part of each of the ones that do cross-over. That is except for Gorillaz/Flaming Lips. I was happy when U2 were playing, but now they've pulled out, I think I'm going to have to see Gorillaz instead. Already seen Flaming Lips live (at Glastonbury no less) and wanted to see them again, but it'll be harder to see Gorillaz live again I'd imagine.

That's my reasoning as well. I love The Flaming Lips, but I'll have plenty of opportunities to see them in the future, whereas Gorillaz gigs are rare commodities indeed.
Henry Krinkle
QUOTE (maian @ Jun 20 2010, 11:06 AM) *

God, I hope you're right about this.
maian
Got back from Glastonbury this afternoon after a quick detour to Stonehenge (which I enjoyed, more for the opportunity to use one of my favourite Spike quotes: "It's a big rock. I can't wait to tell my friends. They don't have a rock this big.") and I had a fucking brilliant time. I went with a big bunch of friends and spent the whole five days drunking, laughing and throwing myself around to great music.

Highlights:

Dizzee Rascal - I've always loved Dizzee, but live he's just astounding. His enthusiasm is infectious and he completely held the audience. Bonkers and his mash-up of Stand Up Tall and Smells Like Teen Spirit were particularly exuberant.
Pet Shop Boys - Brilliant. Top to bottom fantastic; great songs and a wonderful, inventive stage show.
Snoop Dogg - Like Dizzee, he was a lot of fun and was pretty perfect for a scorching Friday.
Ray Davies - The songs were already perfect, but having a 40-strong choir lending support for Days and Waterloo Sunset made for a beautiful moment. The selection of songs from Village Green Preservation society in honour of Pete Quaife, the original bass player for The Kinks who died only days before, was another highlight for me, since it's one of my favourite albums.
Stevie Wonder - Some superb, good time soul and funk to round off a great festival.
The National - I'd only vaguely been aware of these guys, so I decided to check out their set to see if the hype was justified. I came away suitably impressed.

There's many more, but those are the ones that spring to mind right now.
sleeping_pirate
Anyone going to any festivals this Summer? I'm off to IoW on Thursday, very very excited. Especially looking forward to Foo Fighters, Seasick Steve and The Vaccines (don't hit me, Sostie!).
Kick in the Head
Glastonbury, though it's a real mixed line-up from my perspective. Few bands/artists I am genuinely excited about or haven't seen already (the only ones I did a squeal about were Janelle Monae and Darwin Deez), but I'm sure as ever there will be plenty to keep me occupied.
Hobbes
I'll be at Glasto too, mega-excited about Bright Eyes, City and Colour and Fleet Foxes as I've yet to see them live. Also my first jaunt to Worthy Farm so super-hyped about the whole thing, even if it's going to cost me a fucking fortune! 2 weeks today I'll be there, has really crept up.
Everlong
Going to three this year.

Graspop in 2 weeks time... METAL. In Belgium. Same weekend as Glasto though, so missed out on Glasto by default.
High Voltage next month... Classic Rock and Prog in London.
And Reading in August, my first weekender there (only been on individual days previously).

Chapman Baxter
I'm going to Latitude on the Saturday for a mate's stag do, should be fun.
Ade
King's Lynn's (free*) Festival Too, on my doorstep, in a few weeks' time. Over the closing few nights we have The Hoosiers, The Feeling, Howard Jones and The Lightning Seeds. I'm especially chuffed about the latter.

On the downside, there's also Sophie Ellis Bextor.

* well, free if you don't factor in the donations to the festival support collection teams who circulate amongst the crowd.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.