Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sherlock
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Raven
BBC One will air the first of the new four-part Sherlock series on Sunday 25th July at 9pm.

Hurrah!
Zoe
From Twitter

QUOTE (@steven_moffat)
The Gatiss/Moffat dream of a modern day Sherlock Holmes starts Sunday July 25th 9pm BBC1. Tell the world, disable ITV with a big spanner.

QUOTE (@steven_moffat)
There are insane levels of fanboy detail - even Watson's migrating war wound

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

VERY excited
Everlong
This shall be awesome.
Zoe

I genuinely can't wait

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE SHERLOCK HOLMES!
Starscream`s Ghost
This is going to be teh awesomes.
Jessopjessopjessop
I love the concept but I hope it's not just a dumb, glossy reimagining like Robin Hood. "Sherlock Homeslice. Conan Doyle meets CSI, the kids'll love it."

And that image is awfully slick and cheap looking at the same time, just like Doctor Who.
Zoe

I'm very positive. There's great buzz on twitter from those who have seen it and this interview is promising http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/Int...ctor.6373254.jp

I'm so fond of the stories and particularly the characters that it will be a real joy to have people who really care about the source material making something fun and modern day out of it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/dec/2...c-moffat-gatiss

If you're talented enough and passionate enough about the material you can take the concept anywhere. Jekyll was absolutely blinding.
Everlong
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 15 2010, 01:39 PM) *
Jekyll was absolutely blinding.

I thought I was the only one that enjoyed Jekyll. Everyone I know seemed to hate it.
Zoe
It was brilliant, the people you know are idiots

He threw a lion onto a van and wrote "I'm going to eat your children" in blood on a wall - AMAZING!
Everlong
And made Denis Lawson eat a key.

I liked that they took it as their own and made it a sequel, rather than a remake, giving it a few twists but still keeping a load of detail in from the original story. 'tis the talents of Moffat.

widowspider
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 15 2010, 11:44 AM) *
I genuinely can't wait

Have I mentioned how much I LOVE SHERLOCK HOLMES!

Looks brilliant! I hope they air it on BBC America.
Zoe
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4pgh
Raven
Is it my imagination (probably) or has that been filmed on the same street/set they used to use for the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes?
Everlong
Maybe, looks sort of similar (as far as I can remember anyway).

I know some was filmed in wales. I remember Reading that they were filming in the same building (museum/library?) at the same time Doctor Who lot were filming the big bang.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jul 15 2010, 01:28 PM) *
And that image is awfully slick and cheap looking at the same time, just like Doctor Who.

Or The Tudors (the biggest turd on TV for shitty looking cheap and slick).

Mark Gatiss is very pedantic when it comes to history. That's why I likes him. His Crooked House was historically impeccable and not at all cheap looking. I hope for same atmosphere of spooky action.

I echo Z's sentiments that THIS LOOKS BRILL!

I never saw Jekyll. Should i?

Starscream`s Ghost
Yes, you should. It's brilliant.
Zoe
Sherlock Holmes is back
widowspider
Saw the trailer, looks brilliant. Downloading will occur.
Everlong
Just seen the trailer online. Looks awesome. Benedict Cumberbatch seems like he'd make a great doctor (of the 'who' variety) too.

Having not read any Sherlock Holmes, but meaning to for a long time, I might get a couple of books or maybe an anthology of sorts on payday.
maian
QUOTE (Everlong @ Jul 20 2010, 07:42 PM) *
Just seen the trailer online. Looks awesome. Benedict Cumberbatch seems like he'd make a great doctor (of the 'who' variety) too.

Having not read any Sherlock Holmes, but meaning to for a long time, I might get a couple of books or maybe an anthology of sorts on payday.

There's a quite nice complete collection going at Waterstones for 17 at the moment. Considering how many stories are in it, it's pretty good value. It's also in a 3 for 2 offer, or at least is in the Sheffield Waterstones.
Everlong
May have a look at that, thanks!
Serafina_Pekkala
I just like the word 'Cumberbatch'. It reminds me of a patch of gigantic veg worthy of the BSG.

[penis joke here]
PrincessKate
Some interviews - Moffat, Gatiss and Cumberbatch
Sean of the Dead
Excited, excited, excited, excited. I've been rereading parts of The Hound of the Baskervilles to get me in the mood. I'll be slightly disappointed if Holmes doesn't pay a small boy to run his errands, but even if it doesn't have that, I'm sure it'll be excellent.
Starscream`s Ghost
Absolutely brilliant. Can't wait until next week.
monkeyman
Agreed. Twas fantastic.

Loved the little "twist" at the end regarding Gatiss' character. I thought it was too simple a reveal for Moriarty but still assumed it was an actual bad guy right till the end

All the gay references people made towards Sherlock and Watson made me chuckle as well.

Also: the theme music was almost identical to the Downey Jr movie in places, is it a common theme taken from an early Holmes series or something?
Everlong
I did assume at first Gatiss was Moriarty too, then that changed after he said Sherlock was 'Dramatic'. It was just the way he spoke of Sherlock. Was unsure still though as I don't know much about Mycroft, having not read the books.

I loved it. Cumberbatch was superb and Freeman was pretty good. Fits Watson well. Loved the little visuals, nice little way of showing Sherlock's mind tick over.

Full of brilliant dialogue too. "Stop thinking you're distracting me", and the other along the lines of "stop talking, you're bringing the IQ of the room down" (can't remember the exact quote).

Look forward to next week's episode.

Oh, and Cumberbatch is SO the Doctor someday.

EDIT: I thought that too about the theme tune.. It did seem familiar, perhaps similar to the Jeremy Brett series, then I thought maybe it sounded like "tales of the unexpected" or something, may well be the same old Sherlock theme?
Zoe
HAPPY!
grumpygit
That was quite brilliant.
Llama
I was waiting to see what people thought before I bothered watching - I think I'll seek it out on iPlayer, not seen a bad word yet.
Everlong
Sherlock gets 7.5 Million Viewers

Nice!
monkeyman
For anyone who has an iPhone (and can be arsed Reading on it) there's a free app of the entire works, it will automatically bookmark where you left off, which is surprising for a free app. It's very interesting (and unsurprising) seeing how much the first episode resembles the first book (in the opening chapter at least).
Serafina_Pekkala
A message to us, Rudi?

I'll be slightly disappointed if Holmes doesn't pay a small boy to run his errands

And I too. Not seen it yet though. You can't pay kids to do things now - especially not batchelor opium users. Or else people accuse you of bumming them.
Raven
Science of Deduction web site, and Watson's Blog.
Zoe
That deduction website is rubz. I know all TV has to have an interactive element, but Holmes would never ask for help.
Everlong
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 26 2010, 02:08 PM) *

I like it when BBC do websites to tie in with shows. they did Doctor Conspiracy websites and stuff like a Torchwood website for Doctor Who. Nothing amazing but it's good that they go to the extra effort for fans to look at.

Sherlock's website is a bit bare. And John's blog has sarcastic comments from his sister. I'm sure they'll both be better once they're updated more.

Might even do that code later if I'm bored (Though I imagine Sherlock needn't ask for help).
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 26 2010, 02:27 PM) *
That deduction website is rubz. I know all TV has to have an interactive element, but Holmes would never ask for help.

He would not ask for help. Certainly not from the boot-scrapes and scullery maids of teh internetz because otherwise, he wouldn't be Sherlock Holmes. Rubz is the word.

Shame this is a modern version - it misses the opportunity for Holmes to make fun of Europeans hoi-polloi and their silly little countries. ACD often did this. Otherwise I would hope for Christoph Waltz to turn up with a monocle as some despicable Central European aristo in a sash.
Zoe
And Americans, and the Welsh, and the Scottish and all women
Wife Of Rolex
Really rather enjoyed it. I love the Jeremy Brett series so was wondering how I'd take to the shift of action from the late 19th Century to early 21st. Turned out it travels very well, even with modern technology and policing techniques.

Cumberbatch and Freeman make a great duo and the dialogue brilliantly snappy. Visually interesting, and I liked the use of graphically showing text messages on screen rather than awkwardly looking at the mobile itself and trying to see what it says.

And Rupert Graves as Lestrade. Bonus.

Mmm, yes, I enjoyed it.

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jul 25 2010, 10:47 PM) *
Also: the theme music was almost identical to the Downey Jr movie in places, is it a common theme taken from an early Holmes series or something?

I thought it had an element of the Randall & Hopkirk Deceased theme.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 26 2010, 03:16 PM) *
And Americans, and the Welsh, and the Scottish and all women

He was pretty across the board. Even though ACD was born near Edinbugh's Omni Centre. Maybe he was being ironicals.
Sostie
First class Sunday (any) night entertainment. Loved it

QUOTE (monkeyman @ Jul 25 2010, 10:47 PM) *

I immediately thought it was very similar to Hans Zimmer's excellent score to Ritchie's Sherlock. It probably would sound familar because it has a sound which seems to be used a lot in Victorian settings; the almost de-tuned piano, accordians, banjo, fiddle etc

If Steptoe & Son had chase sequences the music would sound like the music from Sherlock.
maian
Terrific fun. Two great leads with wonderful chemistry, a witty script that nicely updates A Study In Scarlet without losing the charm of the original or overloading it with contemporary silliness (it integrates text messaging better than pretty much any other show I can think of) and a compelling central mystery. I'm really excited about seeing where the show goes from here, particularly with the expected introduction of Moriarty at the end.
Chapman Baxter
I really enjoyed it. I liked the cheeky nods to the original story ('Rache' was particularly well handled), the characters and the dialogue. I also enjoyed the sight of Holmes and Watson walking past my office. I'm told that Steven Moffat is a huge fan of The Princess Bride, hence the ending. I was surprised that the poison wasn't revealed to be iocane powder.
bigfatrich
Started to watch this on iPlayer this morning on my Wii but it cocked up; this is a shame as I was enjoying it a great deal.
widowspider
Watched it last night - telly at it's finest. Witty, fast-paced, intriguing, fun. Loved it. Cumberbatch is fabulous as Sherlock and I loved all the allusions to their supposed love affair. 'I'm not his date!'.

Can't wait for next week's!
m0r1arty
Well that's my moniker nerfed - but what a show to be nerfed by!

Not often I'll applaud a Beeb production straight off the bat but with this particular show I will doff my cap and bid it "Halo!"

A three patches problem was my particular favourite joke - looking forward to the next 2 episodes.

-m0r
Zoe
QUOTE (widowspider @ Jul 28 2010, 04:49 PM) *
Watched it last night - telly at it's finest. Witty, fast-paced, intriguing, fun. Loved it. Cumberbatch is fabulous as Sherlock and I loved all the allusions to their supposed love affair. 'I'm not his date!'.

What supposed love affair?

I've never picked up on that in the stories. Holmes is baffled by women certainly, but there's nothing to suggest he likes men anymore.

That said, they got the tone pitch-perfect. Sherlock should remain a romance free zone (apart from Watson's string of boring wives to annoy him of course)
maian
I haven't read all the stories, but there have been a few film adaptations and non-Conan Doyle books that have played with the idea of Holmes being gay. In particular, one of the segments of 'The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes' stops just short of outright saying it. Then again, another section of the same film is given over to Holmes love for a woman. I think the ambiguity of Holmes relationship towards women (and people in general) has given rise to a lot of theories that don't originate with the stories.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 29 2010, 10:53 AM) *
I've never picked up on that in the stories. Holmes is baffled by women certainly, but there's nothing to suggest he likes men anymore.

That said, they got the tone pitch-perfect. Sherlock should remain a romance free zone (apart from Watson's string of boring wives to annoy him of course)

Yes and yes. Holmes is not gay but ACD uses words that are ambiguous now in meaning. Tolkein did the same. Hobbits were always feeling queer but it didn't mean that back in the day.

Holmes only ever found one woman his equal and she turned out to be an adventuress with untrustworthy qualities. Irene Adler - the opera singer from New Jersey. He doesn't hate women - he just finds them weak-willed and silly. It was before Suffrage after all.

Holmes is about deduction and adventure and atmosphere and vigor and all of that. If you want romance and hand-holding - there is Twilight. smile.gif
Sean of the Dead
I always thought Holmes was supposed to be completely asexual; romance is one mystery he has no interest in solving, as it rarely involves abandoned tin mines, stolen boots and murder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.