Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official Community Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
logger

I thought it was about time that we had an official thread for the best thing on the telly.

This might explain why Pierce had such a hard time with Colonel Sanders.
maian
If that Colonel Sanders thing is intentional, then that's some really clever writing.

How do people feel this current season is shaping up? I think that it started a bit weaker than the first did, but it has been more consistently great overall (with the exception of last week's episode, which was good, and had moments of greatness during Pierce's hijacking of the school play - "We love you, Drugs!" - but was otherwise pretty forgettable).
logger
I pretty much agree with that but think it has evolved into a much stronger show as it's gone on. I think it's interesting the way they have made it a more ensemble show this season, the last one having Jeff very much at the centre.
maian
It's evolved very organically, too. It even caught Dan Harmon by surprise:

You know, I think that the biggest change, which wasn’t accidental or surprising, was the shift from a kind of a lone wolf vs. a cabal of misfits formula into a genuine ensemble comedy. More than that, more like a family comedy. We always felt that that shift was going to happen, that it needed to happen, but that was the biggest shift.

If you mean in terms of things that maybe caught us by surprise, I think that one thing that surprised me was how quickly that happened successfully. I remember feeling that we were going to spend the first 12 episodes, approximately, sort of telling the story of this guy thinking of these people as friends, becoming a friend of theirs. And really, it took about six. What took me by surprise is how much the medium and the actors’ charisma and chemistry doubled the rate at which we were willing to accept the idea that this guy just liked these knuckleheads and that nobody was going anywhere.

It was really around the Halloween episode, which was the sixth one that we shot, that you could really feel it, that there was not going to be any point anymore of pretending that this guy was a reluctant member of this family. You can see that in the Christmas episode. The idea was that that would be the final threshold, but in reality, we had already, for six episodes, been sort of an unlikely family. So that was sort of a last-minute surprise that was something that couldn’t have been predicted, that it just happened faster.

I think that the fact that any combination of these characters can sort of hold their own—that, although a tremendous anchor and an indispensable part of the show, Joel McHale is not necessarily a necessary ingredient for any particular moment on screen, that you can take any two, three, four of these people and stick them in a room and have them grappling with a problem and there would still be a show there—that was a very pleasant surprise. That was our hope. The extent to which we nailed it in casting came as a pleasant surprise in the first season.

The rest of that interview is a pretty interesting insight into the show and the ideas behind it.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Any chance of a photo of Annie's Boobs?
logger

hehehe

maian
Great episode this week. One of the things I really like about their parody/homage episodes is that they not only get the references right in the writing, but they go to a lot of effort to get the visual style spot on. Even though they were only in the study room, they perfectly captured the moving, swooping camera and tone of pompous self-seriousness that a lot of fantasy films have. Chang's exit from the Dungeons and Dragons game in particular, with its slow motion and fades between the reactions of the different characters and sombre LotR-style music, was amazing.

It was also funny as hell, which helps. The first shot of Chang in his dark elf make-up was terrifying and hilarious.

Also, Alison Brie pretending to be a well-endowed man and miming sex with Abed = weirdly hot.
logger
Four fingers.

It was another great episode, loved the epic theme music and the reveal of evil Pierce on his thrown. And awwww, Fat Niel.
Julie
I don't know if I could love this show any more than I do. It makes me happy. It also kind of made me want to play D&D.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Another great episode. I loved Britta's concern for elf-equality. So good.

gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 4 2011, 11:47 AM) *
Also, Alison Brie pretending to be a well-endowed man and miming sex with Abed = weirdly hot.

Not that weird....

She's so lovely.
logger
I got a little bit worried when they said it was Liverpool v Utd. The thought the Mancs cheating their way to victory, even in a fictional world, especially one I want to live in, could have soured my love for this show. But yet again they played it just right and we got Prof Duncan in Liverpool gear, whut whut!

Loved the "In England everything means vagina" line. Also loved Brita making out with a straight girl to prove how cool she was about being friends with a lesbian.

And screw Bare Naked Ladies!
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (logger @ Feb 11 2011, 07:26 PM) *
And screw Bare Naked Ladies!

Hey! You will respect the BNL!
Julie
That episode was streets ahead.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Pierce's "I have prepared some written remarks" was priceless, especially the pause as he changed his glasses.
logger
I really want to hear the one he has prepared for Jeff.
maian
QUOTE (logger @ Feb 11 2011, 07:26 PM) *
Also loved Brita making out with a straight girl to prove how cool she was about being friends with a lesbian.

That was probably my favourite part of the episode. There was just the right level of awkwardness to their interactions to suggest that neither of them was actually that comfortable with it, but really wanted to appear as if they were.

I also like the chutzpah involved in ending your Valentines episode with a shot of an old man lying on a bench, out of his head on painkillers.
Sostie
I thought Annie/Brita's near kiss was one of the best pieces of comic timing I've seen in a while. As well as being one of the hottest things not to appear on screen.
maian
Truly fantastic episode this week. They did a great job of deconstructing the documentary format whilst still making the show feel like Community and they finally managed to get a lot of the stuff about Pierce and his relationship to the group out in the open.

More importantly, though, it was one of the most consistently hilarious episodes yet. Troy's freak outs over meeting Levar Burton were some of the funniest moments the show has ever done. "Set phasers to love me!"

Also, the look of worry and fear on Geoff's face as he waited to see if his father was in the car is probably Joel McHale's best piece of acting.
Julie
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 18 2011, 06:29 AM) *
Also, the look of worry and fear on Geoff's face as he waited to see if his father was in the car is probably Joel McHale's best piece of acting.

And yet, I found his uttering of threats to Pierce to be strangely hot.

Honestly, I can't recall an episode of any show that I've loved quite as much as last night's Community. Troy's freakouts were hilarious, particularly the bathroom scene. And lines like "Or what, you'll do twice as much work as a doctor for half the pay?" from Jeff to the nurse and Troy's Firefly line just make me so very happy. I really adore this show.
logger
I know it's sad but I chuckled at every mention of queathing.
maian
I loved Annie's delivery of the line "What does that mean?" when Pierce tells her that the tiara means that she is his favourite. It was a really fast joke but one that had maximum impact. The call back later when Pierce admitted to the camera that he gave it to her because it was his favourite was very sweet and sad, too. In fact, Chevy Chase really excelled in this episode. I liked his cartoonish supervillainy in Advanced Dungeons and Dragons but his quieter malevolence here was a lot rawer and more compelling.
logger
I was expecting him to be repentant but I liked the fact that he was still evil.

I also liked the exchange between Jeff and Brita's dads.
Jimmay
I can finally post in this thread now without risk of spoilers and unfortunately I think that's the reason I didn't really like this episode. Having spent the past few months rationing episodes of community and watching the first season twice, watching this episode finally brought me up to date with the official airing time which means that I can no longer watch a new episode whenever I choose so it was bitter sweet.

It probably didn't help that it was the last episode of a 10 episode marathon which included my now second favourite episode, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. I'll have to rewatch it and see if it grabs me.
maian
It seems like the sort of episode which will work better as part of the season as a whole, rather than as a standalone. I loved it, but it was more about dealing with character stuff that has been bubbling under the surface than delivering a slew of gags. It'll be interesting to see where the show goes next.
Sean of the Dead
I want Bill Murray to play Jeff's dad.
logger
His mum would have had to have been very good looking. It would be like the Redknapp situation.
Julie
I'm going to eat your brains, Vicki.
logger
This episode was good but probably my least favourite for a while.
Julie
QUOTE (logger @ Feb 25 2011, 07:43 AM) *
This episode was good but probably my least favourite for a while.

It wasn't anything spectacular, but I still had a good laugh enough times. "Notches" nearly killed me.
maian
I thought it was pretty good, all round. The satirical elements were pretty broad but I thought that the show put its own spin on them so it wasn't at any point boring or unfunny. The stuff with Abed and the Secret Service Agent was the highlight, for me, since it was funny and weirdly sweet in the way that the show does best. Even if it wasn't as great as the last couple have been, it's still nowhere near as bad as that Drug Awareness episode was, which remains the lowpoint of this season and probably the series as a whole for me.
logger
QUOTE (maian @ Feb 26 2011, 04:37 PM) *
Drug Awareness episode

A lot of people didn't like that episode but I didn't think it was that bad.
maian
It just felt really awkward to me. Like they had been forced to make a socially aware episode but no one was really into it. It's not a completely irredeemable piece of shit since there are no bad episodes of Community, but apart from Pierce taking over the show and Chang saving the day there isn't much to recommend it.
logger
No episode this week. This makes logger a sad panda. sad.gif
maian
Dammit! Guess I'll just have to watch Modern Warfare again then.
widowspider
QUOTE (logger @ Mar 4 2011, 02:14 PM) *

Beyond. Words.
maian
So, some information about the second season finale has started to slowly slip out into the ether. Only the first two have been confirmed, the third is rumour at the moment, but I've spoilered them all just in case anyone wants to be completely surprised:

1. It'll be an hour long
2. Josh Holloway (SAWYER!) is going to be the guest star
3. It'll be a spriritual sequel to "Modern Warfare"
logger
So tempted to peek.
maian
I don't know how well known they are, but since I just found out about them over the weekend I assume that they are fairly new pieces of information.
maian
No story reporting this yet, but from twitter:

@TVGuide NBC renews The Office, Parks and Recreation and Community for 2011-2012 TV season. Story to come….

Fuck. Yes. Well, at least to Community and Parks & Recreation. I don't know enough of The Office to care one way or the other.

Edit: And confirmation from Dan Harmon himself:

@danharmon They're celebrating St. Paddy's at NBC. Crazy drunks picked us up for a 3rd season. Thank you, NBC and all our viewers.
logger
This made me laugh in response to Community getting renewed
logger
Creepy Abed is creepy.

Britta has become my favourite character over the last few episodes. I just love how lame she is.
maian
Really great episode this week. The bait and switch of making it look like it was going to be a high-concept homage episode that was actually a low-key character one (even though it was a high-concept homage, just of a very low-key movie) was very effective, and even if the stuff between Jeff and Abed took place within a very artificial framework I found it really touching. The stuff at the cafe with the rest of the cast was also pretty damn funny. Chang's "Why do you leave him alone with me?" and Troy calling wine "No-no juice" were my personal highlights.
logger
I loved the My Dinner with Andre reveal.
gulfcoast_highwayman
I like how brave the show is becoming. That was an outstanding episode.
Sostie
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 25 2011, 03:06 PM) *
Really great episode this week.

For me, one of the weakest ever.
Sean of the Dead
I liked it and thought Mr Ayoade did a good job of directing it.
logger
Was that the Ayoade one?

edit:
Obviously that was rhetorical seeing as you just said it was. Must remember not to post whatever crosses my mind.
maian
QUOTE (Sostie @ Mar 28 2011, 10:18 AM) *
For me, one of the weakest ever.

This has just made me wonder what everyone's least favourite episodes are. It's not something that fans of a show tend to do, but I think it's interesting in terms of what people think make the show good and what make it bad.

For me, it's "The Art of Discourse", aka, The Schmitty episode, which I find incredibly embarassing and unfunny. It doesn't help that it comes between Contemporary American Poultry and Modern Warfare, which are two of the highlights of season 1.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.