Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The great John Carpenter / Kurt Russell film debate
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
NiteFall
I've had the idea for this poll knocking about since I last watched Big Trouble In Little China.
John Carpenter and Kurt Russell have done some great films together. And Escape From LA. But which one is the best? And why? Is the big silly spectacle of Big Trouble your favourite? Or the tight claustrophobic horror of The Thing? Or is it Elvis, because you're one of the 12 people in the world that's actually seen the bastard thing?
maian
The Thing, for me. I enjoy aspects of all the others (that I have seen) but The Thing is the only one that strikes me as a coherent, consistent work. It's sheer, unceasing tension from beginning to end.
NiteFall
I think Big Trouble In Little China is my favourite. It's just so much fun from start to finish, plus I really like the idea of following around this guy who thinks that he's the big hero but doesn't realise that he's actually the sidekick.
logger
I voted for The Thing for my favourite film. Although, Big Trouble in Little China probably gains more from Russell's contribution than the others but then again, he can only play the roles in ways that are right for the films.
m0r1arty
Escape from La didn't rank for me (not a bad film though). It was tough with the remaining 4 but I went with Big Trouble as it's more family friendly (Elvis had a ton of adult issues in it).

-m0r
Ade
The Thang, by a country mile. Although I still haven't seen Elvis, or Big Trouble for that matter.
fatseff1234
I went Big Trouble due to the Fun-Factor. It's just a work of bizarre comedic genius.
Sostie
A poll after my own heart, seeing as I rate Carpenter as on of the the greatest American directors ever - few have a run as good as his over two decades.

As much as I adore all the choices (yes I even have a soft spot for LA), and despite strong competition from the classic Big Trouble, The Thing gets my vote because frankly it is my (joint) favourite film of all time.
Zoe
After a show recently, my friend Ian was furious that a fan had bought the other half of his double act 'The Thing' on Blu-ray and him 'Escape from LA'.

Furious.
Hobbes
The Thing is one of the best films ever made in my estimation, so needless to say it gets my vote too.
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 17 2011, 07:57 PM) *
As much as I adore all the choices (yes I even have a soft spot for LA), and despite strong competition from the classic Big Trouble, The Thing gets my vote because frankly it is my (joint) favourite film of all time.

Mamma Mia?

I've only seen one film on the list and the last time I did I wasn't that impressed with it so I'll refrain from voting!
logger
I wonder who voted for Escape From New York.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.