Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Game of Thrones
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Rebus
The 14 minute preview of Game of Thrones looks amazing. I'm just finishing the fourth book and they really do look like they've got this right so far. Only about ten days to go!
Ade
QUOTE (Rebus @ Apr 7 2011, 12:34 AM) *
The 14 minute preview of Game of Thrones looks amazing. I'm just finishing the fourth book and they really do look like they've got this right so far. Only about ten days to go!

I look forward to seeing the TV series whenever I get the opportunity - what I've seen of it so far looks mighty promising, and has given me more incentive to check out my as yet unread copy of Book One. As a long-time fan of fantasy fiction, I owe it to myself if all the hype is to be believed. One of my friends regularly bangs on about how good George R. R. Martin's books are.
Jessopjessopjessop

Cool, i hope that stays up on youtube, i'll watch it at the weekend. would be good to have some fantasy on TV that isn't shit!
gulfcoast_highwayman

I've only read the first. I'm saving book two for my holibobs in a couple of months. Will I vbe safe watching the TV show, do you think? I don't want them to spoil the books.
maian
QUOTE (gulfcoast_highwayman @ Apr 7 2011, 06:53 PM) *
I've only read the first. I'm saving book two for my holibobs in a couple of months. Will I vbe safe watching the TV show, do you think? I don't want them to spoil the books.

The first season will cover the first book, assuming that they aren't going to split it over two seasons, so you'd be fine watching the first one. After that, you should probably get cracking on the second one.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Apr 7 2011, 06:37 PM) *
Cool, i hope that stays up on youtube, i'll watch it at the weekend. would be good to have some fantasy on TV that isn't shit!

Looks really good... I'm gonna get all illegal on this show!
Everlong
We're only a day behind the states with it aren't we?
Rebus
So the first Game of Thrones episode was as fucking awesome as I'd hoped it would be. That is all.
maian
I knew there was something I needed to check out. Thanks for the reminder.
gulfcoast_highwayman
Twas awesome. They've done a fabulous job. The casting is bang on thus far.
Serafina_Pekkala
I've not read the books but I like the trailer. I wonder what the Americans make of all the dead Naaaaarthern people?
logger
Is it nerdy? It looks nerdy.
maian
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 18 2011, 05:11 PM) *
Is it nerdy? It looks nerdy.

If it's anything like the books, it'll be more beheady and fucky.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 18 2011, 06:05 PM) *

Should definitely be on the promo posters.
sweetbutinsane
I want to watch it now after reading that.
Rebus
I've heard some complain that they introduced too many characters too quickly and no one had any idea what was going on. I can only come at it having read the books, so knew what was happening, but I still think they tried to explain who everyone was as best they could, and the significance of the major plot points. Anyone who hasn't read the books get this?
Sostie
QUOTE (Rebus @ Apr 18 2011, 09:26 PM) *
I can only come at it having read the books, so knew what was happening, but I still think they tried to explain who everyone was as best they could, and the significance of the major plot points. Anyone who hasn't read the books get this?

I managed to follow what was going on and I've never even heard of the books.

I really enjoyed it. Reminded me a lot of Rome - not sure why
Raven
QUOTE (Sostie @ Apr 19 2011, 09:08 AM) *
I really enjoyed it. Reminded me a lot of Rome - not sure why

Was there a lot of sex and bloody violence?
Sostie
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 19 2011, 09:35 AM) *
Was there a lot of sex and bloody violence?

Yes. And backstabbing, incest, adultery and English thespians.
Raven
^ Yep, I'd say that sounds like Rome!
Raven
HBO renews Game Of Thrones.
logger
I thought it was alright, which must be something as I thought I really wouldn't like it. I'll be watching the next episode.
maian
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 18 2011, 06:05 PM) *

Also disembowely.

I thought the first episode was pretty terrific. They managed to introduce all the major players quickly and effectively, the cast are all pretty much perfect - Dinklage is as great a Tyrion as I could have hoped for - and the show really feels like the books, right down to the sense of a shared history. It doesn't feel like the story is emerging from nothing, which gives it a lot of the texture that makes Martin's world so fun.
Rua
All the hairiest men in Belfast were recruited for the Extras parts. You'd have sworn it was the 70s again around here for a while.
maian
QUOTE (Rua @ Apr 19 2011, 10:49 PM) *
All the hairiest men in Belfast were recruited

That's the opening line of a folk ballad if I've ever read one.
Rua
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 19 2011, 11:07 PM) *

...and no doubt it would be about here, in the 70s.
maian
I also thought that the opening title sequence was one of the best I've seen in a while.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 19 2011, 11:07 PM) *

Or an Undertones song.
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Rebus @ Apr 18 2011, 09:26 PM) *
I've heard some complain that they introduced too many characters too quickly and no one had any idea what was going on. I can only come at it having read the books, so knew what was happening, but I still think they tried to explain who everyone was as best they could, and the significance of the major plot points. Anyone who hasn't read the books get this?

Some people think CSI is edgy and intelligent. I haven't read the books and didn't have any issues following it.

I thought there was plenty of potential, but I'm hoping for more fantasy and violence like opening sequence. Otherwise it might end up like "I Claudius"; all the running around shagging was vaguely farcical.

QUOTE (maian @ Apr 19 2011, 11:50 PM) *
I also thought that the opening title sequence was one of the best I've seen in a while.

Yeah, it is very cool.
maian
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Apr 20 2011, 10:31 PM) *
Some people think CSI is edgy and intelligent. I haven't read the books and didn't have any issues following it.

I thought there was plenty of potential, but I'm hoping for more fantasy and violence like opening sequence. Otherwise it might end up like "I Claudius";

Obviously I haven't seen any more of the series, but if they stick to the book as faithfully as they have so far then it'll be a mix of those two elements, with the latter being more prominent initially.

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Apr 20 2011, 10:31 PM) *
...all the running around shagging was vaguely farcical.

I'd say there is a knowing element to that, though. I think the producers have played it up a bit too strongly to make it clear that they are are definitely a HBO show. In that regard, it reminded me a little of True Blood.
Serafina_Pekkala
I don't have dirty downloads so can't see it. Boo.
omni
I thought the opening ep was ok, but just that. It's to early to tell, but if they keep developing Catelyn Stark the way they did in the first ep, I'm going to get very upset very quickly. Cersei was more sympathetic until you saw her fucking her brother.
Sostie
Two episodes in and I'm well and truly hooked.

Near lesbianism almost made up for the Dog death (boo).
maian
Lena Headey's really impressed me as Cersei so far. I've never really thought much of her, but she really captures her cold, cruel indifference.

Good showcase for the young actors this week. The girl who plays Arya, in particular, was very good, I thought.

Edit: Also, I didn't realise that Rory McCann (The Book Group, State of Play, Hot Fuzz) was playing Sandor Glegane (Prince Joffrey's bodyguard). Another fine piece of casting.
logger
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 26 2011, 10:38 AM) *
Lena Headey's really impressed me as Cersei so far. I've never really thought much of her, but she really captures her cold, cruel indifference.

I didn't even realise it was her. She reminds me of Big Suze if she was evil.

One thing confused me, I thought Sean Bean and Mark Addy had left and that was why Mrs Sean Bean was going to track them down but suddenly they were back to deal with a fight between children.
maian
QUOTE (logger @ Apr 26 2011, 11:21 AM) *
One thing confused me, I thought Sean Bean and Mark Addy had left and that was why Mrs Sean Bean was going to track them down but suddenly they were back to deal with a fight between children.

They have left and are still on their way to King's Landing, but they had stopped in a town along the way. The children are accompanying them and their fight took place whilst everyone was resting on the journey. The scene in which Sean Bean is told to kill the direwolf is in an Inn, not Winterfell.
logger
I thought they had all gone back, which seemed strange.
maian
No, they're all en route.
gulfcoast_highwayman
QUOTE (maian @ Apr 26 2011, 12:01 PM) *
No, they're all en route.

Yes, that's why the kangaroo court was at an Inn, rahter than in a great hall or somesuch place.
omni
This writing must get better. Robb has been on screen for two episodes and not once have they said his name. Or Theon's. If I was watching this without have read the books I'd be utterly lost as to which character is which.
maian
I was thinking that the other day, but I personally don't think I would have a problem with not knowing peoples' names. I think the show has done a really good job of illustrating the relationships between the characters, so new viewers would not have any trouble figuring out who people are, even if they don't know what they are called. It reminded me of when I first started watching Deadwood and The Wire; I didn't know what half of the characters were called until well into their first seasons, yet I knew exactly who everyone was and what their motivations were.
Chapman Baxter
Everyone's been great about it so far, but can I ask that we're careful not to spoil anything for people who haven't read the books? There are a few events coming up that will have a lot more impact if the viewer doesn't expect them. [/dramatic understatement]
maian
What, like the fact that it was Earth all along?
omni
I'm wondering how many people they'll lose at the end of the first season when Ned loses his head.

I'm finding that I may be unable to watch the show and enjoy it as the I have a quasi fanatical devotion to the books.
logger
Do you think the actor playing the young prince got aroused when Lena Headey, or Evil Big Suze as she will be known from now on, was telling him he could fuck all the painted whores he liked. I kind of was.
Sostie
QUOTE (omni @ Apr 27 2011, 09:19 PM) *
If I was watching this without have read the books I'd be utterly lost as to which character is which.

I had never even heard of the books, and I think I pretty much understand what's going on.

The young girl in it is rather excellent isn't she.
omni
QUOTE (Sostie @ May 3 2011, 06:11 AM) *
I had never even heard of the books, and I think I pretty much understand what's going on.

The young girl in it is rather excellent isn't she.

Her story gets so much better.
Rebus
Yeah, Arya is fantastic. Her and Jon I think I've enjoyed reading the most. Bit disappointed at the lack of direwolves in the series so far, especially Ghost, but apparently the dogs were really difficult to work with so a lot of stuff was cut. Alas, can't have everything.
Silky
I love the Imp. smile.gif
There are so many characters I want to slap though. But I'm sure Sharpe will slap them for me.
logger
I want to be king when I grow up. It must be great drinking, whoring it up and talking like Brian Blessed all the time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.