Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Films Of The Year 2011
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Sostie
You know what to do. Tell us about your favourites (and least favourites)
NiteFall
I was pleasantly surprised by how good Captain America was actually. It could have been a horrible, jingoistic mess of a film, but instead Joe Johnston managed to turn out a well made, fun film.
On the other hand, I was entirely unsurprised to find that Transformers: Dark Of The Moon was a horrible shabling wreck of a film, one so bad that even having Leonard Nimoy declaring that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" couldn't redeem it any.
Raven
QUOTE (NiteFall @ Dec 12 2011, 11:53 AM) *
On the other hand, I was entirely unsurprised to find that Transformers: Dark Of The Moon was a horrible shabling wreck of a film, one so bad that even having Leonard Nimoy declaring that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" couldn't redeem it any.

Sadly, the second highest grossing film of the year (so far).

I don't really feel qualified to comment here, as my DVD buying hasn't caught up with this year’s releases yet, but of the two 2011 films I have seen, I would have to say Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two trumps Paul!
sweetbutinsane
This reminds me that I've hardly seen any films this year. Bloody uni stealing all of my time. I intend to watch Paul and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows by Sunday to bring my film viewing up to the grand total of five, so I'll get back to you on those ones then.

As it stands:
Source Code - My favourite film of the year (so far at least). I'm still not entirely sure about the ending (it definitely made more sense to end it that way, but the ending it looked like they were initially going for would have been more moving) but I absolutely loved eveything else.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two - I haven't got much to say about it other than it was a good end to the series and they did well to make me like it considering Deathly Hallows is the second weakest book in the series for me (the weakest being Half-Blood Prince).

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - I did say it was okay when I first watched it but the more I think about it, the more I want to downgrade it to 'rubbish'. None of the sequels have even come close to matching how amazing the Curse of the Black Pearl was (it's still my favourite film of all time).
dandan
as i've stopped blogging and writing about films, i'll probably have missed some great movies which i have subsequently forgotten about. still, here's ten which have stuck with me...

red - a great cast, having great fun. my most watched film of the year...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFfMfN5AvE

the lost bladesman - donnie yen does his bestest and that's good enough to turn this general kwan tale into a jolly decent watch. the presence of jiang wen also makes any film better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwuJJhFSVOg

true grit - aces and still a crime that little miss steinfeld didn't get a best actress nomination...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUiCu-zuAgM

the artist - give it another couple of months and you'll probably be sick of hearing people saying just how good this film is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzNhyZlTNAg

i am jesus - the story of three people who claim to be the messiah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZQE_sPmWVM

gnarr - super fun documentary on the icelandic stand-up comic who decided that he should run for mayor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN4StRiLgqo

we have a pope - a really wonderful little film about the choosing of a new pope and the subsequent fallout...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0GUU4JEXxA

the fatherless - really good film about the children who grew up in an unconventional household, returning home when their father dies...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVoLgvphX6s

symbol - half mexican wrestling drama, half a man trapped in a room where his only means of escape is pushing a series of cherub penises in the correct order.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adrFTTr_DOw

the sound of noise - a slice of deadpan silliness from sweden, about a group of people committing sound crimes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qct3nBWlNTA
Kick in the Head
Some of those look incredible Dan, Sound of Noise, Gnarr and Symbol in particular. I shall try to track them down. I've still got a few more to see before the year is out, but no one clear favourite amongst them yet. Excellent year of releases though.
logger
The Skin I Live In
Super
Phase 7
Contagion
Hesher
The Fighter
13 Assassins
The Guard
Scream 4
The King's Speech
True Grit
Elite Squad 2
Drive (the first half)

Worst film in a year with some stinkers, The Green Hornet, a film so bad I repressed memories of having seen it.
Rebus
True Grit was awesome, but I'm sure I saw it last year. Anyway, I'd have to go for Snowtown. Utterly brutal and difficult to watch at times but wonderfully made. Whilst starting to lose its grip towards the end a little, X-Men First Class was surprisingly good. Win Win was a sleeper hit from a very proficient but under-the-radar director (and The Wire's journalist ASSHOLE) Thomas McCarthy.

Attack The Block still hasn't come out here yet, and I have yet to see Drive, Tinker Tailor..., The Guard, Tree of Life, and We Need To Talk About Kevin. A lot to catch up on.
maian
In sort of order:

The Artist
Senna
The Skin I Live In
Take Shelter
The Tree of Life
Midnight In Paris
Tyrannosaur
Attack The Block
Bridesmaids
The Guard
Kill List

I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting, but those are the ones that leap instantly to mind.
Hobbes
Senna is the best film I've seen this year by quite a distance.

Tinker, Tailor and The Guard are tucked in behind (probably in that order though open to flip-flopping), followed by The Tree of Life most likely, which I liked a lot. Have missed a lot of stuff though, so feel I have a fair bit of catching up to do, though as always I'll never watch everything I meant to.

Dan's list makes me want to watch more films too.
maian
QUOTE (maian @ Dec 12 2011, 09:40 PM) *
In sort of order:

The Artist
Senna
The Skin I Live In
Take Shelter
The Tree of Life
Midnight In Paris
Tyrannosaur
Attack The Block
Bridesmaids
The Guard
Kill List

I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting, but those are the ones that leap instantly to mind.

I've remembered some others that probably deserve a mention.

Animal Kingdom - Tense, frightening and hugely absorbing. Jacki Weaver is absolutely phenomenal in it, and her Oscar nomination is as deserved as it was unexpected.

The Arbor - One of the most original documentaries I've ever seen. By having actors lip-sync to interviews conducted with the friends and family of playwright Andrea Dunbar, the film-makers created a film that someone had the artificiality of theatre and the rawness of reality. The combination is striking and powerful, and whilst the film is very tough to watch, particularly in how it unflinchingly depicts the way in which cycles of violence and abuse repeat and reproduce over generations, it is spellbinding.

Blue Valentine - A nice inversion of the typical indie romance, it's got two amazing performances at its centre and a bracingly clear-eyed view of how love can turn sour.

The Fighter - A very well made boxing movie raised up by a hilarious supporting turn by Christian Bale and a solidly likeable central performance by Marky Mark. I mainly look on it fondly because it was after watching this that I decided to get into shape, so it's probably the film that has had the most profound effect on me of any film I've seen this year, which is weird to say but also true.

13 Assassins - TOTAL MASSACRE!
Jon 79
The only 2011 films I've seen listed in order of enjoyment:

Super 8
True Grit
The King's Speech
Rise of The Planet Of the Apes
Adventures of Tintin
Source Code
Scream 4
Tree Of Life
Attack The Block
Paul
Rango
Troll Hunter
Cowboys & Aliens

Despite Super 8's piss-poor ending, it's still my favourite film this year - (for me it's all about the journey, not the destination)
Tree Of Life should probably deserve to be above Scream 4 (which I loved - funniest one of the series!), but my cinema experience was ruined by a bloke talking through most of the film.
My top 12 there are of a similarly good to excellent standard, but then there should be a big gap between Troll Hunter and Cowboys & Aliens. The latter was watch-able fun.... just.... but it lacked any likeable characters.

sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (sweetbutinsane @ Dec 12 2011, 01:20 PM) *
I intend to watch Paul and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows by Sunday to bring my film viewing up to the grand total of five, so I'll get back to you on those ones then.

Yeah, A Game of Shadows is definitely my film of the year (not that it had much in the way of competition, but that still doesn't mean it wasn't amazing). I still need to watch Paul.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I really enjoyed Hanna, Paul, Attack the Block and X-Men: First Class this year.

Worst film would be Super by a mile. Horrible.

I've mostly been on catch-up though, so I've no doubt missed tons of great films again this year.
sweetbutinsane
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Dec 20 2011, 10:47 PM) *
I really enjoyed Hanna

Ooh, thank you for reminding me that I still need to see that. smile.gif
Jessopjessopjessop
Super 8 and Drive were my favourites, although I didn't see a whole lot at the cinema this year.
maian
I've still got to finalise my Top 20, and I'm waiting to see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo before making a decision, but I'm pretty comfortable in saying that The Muppets will be on it, with Young Adult possibly sneaking in to the bottom rungs.
Ade
I've not seen as many flicks as my usual this year, but my Top Five Faves (in pretty much specific order) would be:

1. Adventures of Tintin
2. The King's Speech
3. Ascent Of Some Planet Or Other With Monkeys
4. X-Men: First Class
5. Paul
beatoswald
I think it was quite a good year for films (but I seem to always end up thinking that).

Top 10:

1. Le Quattro Volte
2. Tree of Life
3. Arrietty
4. Poetry
5. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
6. Tyrannosaur
7. Take Shelter
8. Cave of Forgotten Dreams
9. Melancholia
10. The Skin I Live In

Other highlights: Wuthering Heights (great first half, bad second half), Submarine, Las Acacias, True Grit, Senna, The Arbor, Miss Bala, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Drive, The Guard, X-Men: First Class, Blue Valentine, Kill List, 13 Assassins and Meek's Cutoff.

Lowlights: We Need to Talk About Kevin (I thought it was a fundamentally silly film and that those involved, who I like a lot, should be making something more ambitious and better)

I'm sad to have missed A Separation, Rango and Hugo.
Sostie
Can't recall much of what I saw. What instantly springs to mind are

Troll Hunter
Attack The Block
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
Silky
I really enjoyed Troll Hunter. happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.