Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standup Comedy Albums
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Ade
"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to my standup comedy album thread! Thank you for reading..."

I know it's really not the same as seeing standup comedians live on stage, but I really enjoy listening to and collecting standup comedy albums. They have fast been superceding music on my MP3 player just lately (I evidently need more laughter in the self-contained anti-social bubble I wander around town in). Anyway. I noticed that there wasn't a dedicated thread purely for comedy album recommendations like that of the Music section... but now there is. You're welcome. smile.gif Furthermore, prompted by having recently discovered a PLETHORA! of comedy albums on Spotify, I thought it would be selfish to keep these wonderful new discoveries to myself, so I have hereby committed myself to:

a) sharing with you fine people some of my current favourite Spotify comedy finds of recent days (which I shall continue to do, as I work my way through an already bloated comedy playlist),

b) sharing a selection of some of my favourite comedy CDs that I've acquired over the years and, not least of all,

c) requesting recommendations for comedy albums that you fine people deem fit to share with the forum.

I'll go first, then.

Rather than overloading the first post with a ridiculously long list of names, I thought I would keep things reasonably simple, and concentrate on a circle of standup comedians whose common denominator (apart from all being American) is that they all appeared to a lesser or greater extent in the HBO series Flight Of The Conchords... so check these out:

Arj Barker (Dave) - LYAO (2010).

Aziz Ansari (Sinjay, racist greengrocer) - Intimate Moments For A Sensual Evening (2010).

Demetri Martin (Demetri, keytar player) - These Are Jokes (2006).

Eugene Mirman (Bret & Jemaine's landlord) - The Absurd Nightclub Comedy of... (2004), En Garde, Society (2006), God is a Twelve-Year-Old Boy with Asperger's (2009).

Jim Gaffigan (Murray's 'friend', Jim) - Doing My Time (2006), King Baby (2009).

Todd Barry (Todd, the Third Conchord) - Medium Energy (2005), Falling Off The Bone (2005), From Heaven (2008).

Enjoy!

---

PS - it would be well worth your while seeking out Greg Proops' Houston, We Have A Problem (2007), as well as Jim Gaffigan's Beyond The Pale (2006) on CD if you can find them, as they're not presently available on Spotify.

So there you go. Recommend away, people!
Rua
Great idea!

I've only listened to Demitri & Todd Barry out of that lot, will check them out. Here are some of my own recommendations:

Andrew Daly - Nine Sweaters - (Nine different character pieces. The first few minutes will seem really lame, but trust me, stick with it.)

Brian Regan - All By Myself

Glenn Wool
- Let your Hands Go

Greg Giraldo - Good Day to Cross a River & Midlife Vices

Kyle Kinane - Death of the Party (sure isn't it my Avatar anyway)

Louis CK - Chewed Up

Marc Maron
- Final Engagement, Not Sold Out, This Has to be Funny & Tickets Still Available.

Maria Bamford - The Burning Bridges Tour & How to WIN!

That'll do for now I reckon. If only Eddie Peppitone had a proper Comedy album instead of that weird one he does with no audience.
Outatime
I can't listen to comedy on my MP3 player, it makes me look like a nutjob when I'm walking to work. Despite that I do have a few albums. I can second Arj Barker's LYAO, if you can still get hold of them the Ross Noble Bootlegs are good too but I think they were a limited run from when he was only really known at the Fringe. Boothy Graffoe and Rich Hall/Otis Lee Crenshaw as well as Flight of the Conchords and Tim Minchin are good for musical comedy.
maian
QUOTE (Ade @ Jan 17 2012, 03:27 AM) *
Aziz Ansari (Sinjay, racist greengrocer) - Intimate Moments For A Sensual Evening (2010).

He's also great as Tom Haverford in the superb American sitcom Parks and Recreation. I love a lot of the stuff on IMFASE, particularly his bit about someone trying to get sexual favours on Criagslist, but I think that his show ending performance as Raaaaaaaandy works better visually than on the album.

QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 17 2012, 10:45 AM) *
Great idea!

I've only listened to Demitri & Todd Barry out of that lot, will check them out. Here are some of my own recommendations:

Andrew Daly - Nine Sweaters - (Nine different character pieces. The first few minutes will seem really lame, but trust me, stick with it.)

Kyle Kinane - Death of the Party (sure isn't it my Avatar anyway)

Louis CK - Chewed Up

Yes, yes and YES. Andy Daly's great; I really recommend people check out the episodes of the podcast Comedy Bang Bang (formerly Comedy Death Ray Radio) he guest stars on in which he plays an assortment of grotesque characters. Kinane's album is front to back brilliant. Not a bad routine on their and his delivery is flawless.

Louis C.K.'s the real standout, though. He's pretty much the best there is at the moment, though I'd probably choose Hilarious over Chewed Up.

I really need to check out Maron's stuff. I love WTF, but haven't actually listened to his comedy much.

My recommendations:

Paul F. Tompkins - Impersonal and Freak Wharf

Probably best known for his work on Mr. Show with Bob and David (or, to Community fans at least, the guy who hits on Abed in "Mixology Certification") Tompkins is a charming, intelligent and whimsical comic who mixes improvisation (the first four tracks on Freak Wharf are solely him riffing on whatever comes into his head as he prepares to launch into the actual material and it's delightful) with carefully crafted absurdism. He's a fantastically funny guy (and another regular on Comedy Bang Bang, where he does impressions of John Lithgow, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Ice-T) and, for me, is the only guy who makes me laugh as much as Louis C.K.

Woody Allen - Stand-up

I hear he makes films now, but back in the sixties Woody Allen was a phenomenal stand-up and anyone who is a fan of his other work will find a lot to love in his finely honed tales of neuroticism, all delivered in a deliberate, devastatingly effective style. The only caveat is that some of the references to famous people are a little dated/obscure, but there aren't enough of them for it to be a problem.

Those are the two that leap to mind. I will wrack my brain trying to think of others, though.
Rua
QUOTE (maian @ Jan 17 2012, 01:49 PM) *
Paul F. Tompkins

Yes!
Ade
Some good recommendations thus far, thanks folks!

May I also posit a retro CD recommend... Emo Philips - E=MOČ / Live at the Hasty Pudding Theatre. Two comedy albums in one! I've loved Emo's humour since the late 80's. A master of perfect timing, he's still just as funny to listen to after all these years.

And I was going to ask you actually, Rua; which of Doug Stanhope's albums are most worth checking out first?
Rua
QUOTE (Ade @ Jan 17 2012, 09:35 PM) *
And I was going to ask you actually, Rua; which of Doug Stanhope's albums are most worth checking out first?

Deadbeat Hero, then go back to Word of Mouth & Sicko! if you can find it, then back up to From Across the Street (2009), but I would advise watching No Refunds first to get a proper feel for him. If you don't buy into Doug there's no point & No Refunds is his most accessible performance & where to start.
Ade
QUOTE (Rua @ Jan 17 2012, 11:51 PM) *
Deadbeat Hero, then go back to Word of Mouth & Sicko! if you can find it, then back up to From Across the Street (2009), but I would advise watching No Refunds first to get a proper feel for him. If you don't buy into Doug there's no point & No Refunds is his most accessible performance & where to start.

Cool, cheers Ru. From what little I've already divulged about Stanhope, he seems to be billed as 'the new Hicks' (see what I did there? Ha.) I've been a staunch Bill Hicks fan since '94, so I'm sure I'll make the transition to Stanhope without any problems. I'm not one to shy away from the 'dark and edgy' after all. Thanks again dude, I'll do some nosing around. smile.gif
Rua
Stanhope is NOT Hicks.

That's a lazy description of him by the media & it gets handed around all the time, because occasionally he'll make a point or too & he used to party quite hard. Stanhope is closer to South Park than he'll ever be to Hicks.

You should enjoy him though, but just thought best to warn you.
Ade
I appreciate the clarification, sir. Lazy media descriptive indeed, and shame on me for perpetuating it that little bit further. Rest assured I will be checking out 'No Refunds' very soon.

Anyway, that aside, I thought I'd put another recommendation out there: one album that's been particularly tickling my funny-bone this past few days is 'Outsourced' by Canadian Indian-Asian (Canasian? Canindian?) Russell Peters. Much of his material focuses on the cultural differences between not merely Asia and the West, but also on those between the Indian and Chinese Asian sub-cultures, and indeed some of the linguistic complications that arise thereof. His spot-on accent mimicry definitely adds further weight to these already very funny routines.

Given that so many comedy acts, even today, are predominantly Caucasian, I have to say it's refreshing to hear such a confident comedy act from an ethnic minority performer. Okay, maybe it says more about my own listening habits that I'm not aware of more (not that I want to start getting all PC, or indeed to deliberately try and avoid being 'un-PC'... ugh, that just gets tiring). At the end of the day... funny is funny. And Russell Peters is funny - give Outsourced a listen! smile.gif
Rua
Oh check out Bill Burr's stuff. Fantastic.

Why Do I Do This? (2008) & Let It Go (2010).

Ade
I've managed to find Bill Burr's Emotionally Unavailable (2003) on Spotify... more specifically the 'Expanded' 2007 version. What I've heard is certainly jolly good.

Also (and despite your having explicitly mentioned it in your earlier posting), I've just inadvertently discovered that your avatar originates from Kyle Kinane's album sleeve... and there was me thinking all this time that it was 'E' from Eels. Heh.
maian
Anyone wanting to check out Louis C.K. should check out his specials, most of which are up on YouTube in their entirety, with the exception of his most recent, Live at The Beacon Theatre, which is only available if downloaded for a mere $5 from this site. It's excellent and well worth buying. The special he made directly before, Hilarious, is available as a series of album tracks, so you might as well check it out through Spotify.

Anyway, here's a bag of links for you all:

One Night Stand (2005)

Shameless (2007)

Chewed Up (2008)
maian
Slightly outside the parameters of this thread, but I suppose it doesn't fit anywhere else. I'd really recommend people get hold of Paul F. Tompkins' new special, Laboring Under Delusions. It's different from his other stuff since it's really just five long stories about jobs that he has held, but they're all terrific, ranging from his first job at a novelty hat shop to acting opposite Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood, all suffused with a nice absurd edge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.