Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latest Board Outage
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > News
NickLee
Dear All,

At last - the board is returned.
You may or may not know that the Spaced Out website was hacked earlier this week - not an attack on us, but on a number of sites that live on the same webserver as us.
As a result, the website was lost but the data for the forum remained intact; so it was simply a matter of re-uploading the software.

However, an error in the software which I can only conclude is fluke, or at least random, wiped the data stored on the database, so I've had to restore it from backups. This is incredibly frustrating as it isn't even something I can pin down to malice or human error - just the general malevolance of computers... wink.gif

Anyway, the forum you see here is as it was about a month ago.
Users who have registered since will have to re-register and any changes to your profile, messages and so on since then will not me stored. I know it's frustrating, but it ain't half as frustrating as trying to restore the database onto the server which is no easy task.

Anyway - it's here. It's not, erm, as it was appearance wise because I haven't had time to deal with that aspect yet, and, for instance, your "pints" indicating rank haven't yet been restored.

That will come with time - but for now, the forum is back as is your messenger and so on.

All the best

Nick.

Update 20 April, 15:45
A "general hardware faliure" this time means ANOTHER reinstall on the server, but, rest assured, absolutely no data lost.
Just another reinstall - I'm getting adept at it now.
proppajob
Eeeeyyy, we got the forum back... thanks nick, so we lost a few posts... that aint a problem, as long as we have a place to post them again biggrin.gif
Smart Arse Butler
OOoooo, we're back, but minus a few forum leaders etc, still, all good, welcome back everyone!

How long has the board been back up btw?
superfurryandy
About 20-30 mins, I think - it's good to be back!
TheCardinal
QUOTE (Smart Arse Butler @ Apr 18 2003, 06:28 PM)
OOoooo, we're back, but minus a few forum leaders etc, still, all good, welcome back everyone!

Demoted?! Curses...

Oh well, s'good to be back biggrin.gif
Smart Arse Butler
This may be the saddest thing, but I've just texted someone to come and promote us back Ian....

Ooooo Ian, hello!

And hello everybody else, I've missed you!
SegaBoy
it's all kinds of crazy man... i didn't like this outage one bit.

it was like going cold turkey. not good, not good at all.

anyhoo, back - stuff - yay.

end.
jimp
right ... where were we ...

i think i was about...

...here...

and you , SAB , were about ... yes ...thats about it

good to have it back

what was it nick ? raqfunk.sh?
SegaBoy
*and* i've lost nearly half my posts for chrissakes... what is *this* nineteen nineties?

grrr... i only hope i can reupload my avatar... otherwise i'm going to have to damage something!
proppajob
QUOTE (SegaBoy @ Apr 18 2003, 06:45 PM)
*and* i've lost nearly half my posts for chrissakes... what is *this* nineteen nineties?

grrr... i only hope i can reupload my avatar... otherwise i'm going to have to damage something!

Calm down ..madam it's only a comertial [/winner from the insurance add]

I can see your avatar biggrin.gif now so there is no need to break stuff (especially as we have just had it fixed wink.gif (thanks again nick))
jimp
just thought ...

i get to have that third pint again

wow

i'm going to have trouble explaining THAT ONE to my guts in the morning smile.gif
scifiboyuk
forums back!!! Wahheeeyyy!!!!!!

just one thing, am I completly blind or is it not possible to edit your member level anymore? I had a look around when I re-upped my avatar but I could'nt see the member level box.

Am I blind?

Stupid?

Both?
proppajob
QUOTE (scifiboyuk @ Apr 18 2003, 07:02 PM)
forums back!!! Wahheeeyyy!!!!!!

just one thing, am I completly blind or is it not possible to edit your member level anymore? I had a look around when I re-upped my avatar but I could'nt see the member level box.

Am I blind?

Stupid?

Both?

oh thank god for that, I was just looking for that bit..... and couldn't find it, I thought I had gone insanely stupid...... but it turns out it wasn't me eeeyyyyy.
SegaBoy
yea... its gone missing i think!

and my avatar IS back, but its all teeny tiny... i will let the dust settle tho' before i harangue the wonderful funderful mister lee for an increase in size!
Pal
Yes, you'll have to give it a bit of time before everything is back to normal. smile.gif

Nick is working on it.

Thanks Nick. smile.gif
Smart Arse Butler
God, you lot kiss some arse don't you!

Still, I'm happy that nick has got it all back online for us, ta nick, we know you could have left this a while before you bothered mate....
TheCardinal
I'm a Forum Leader again!

And I've got my COCK back!

It's all falling back into place.

biggrin.gif
Smart Arse Butler
You make me wet.

I sort of began to get attached to that you know....
TheCardinal
For a split second I thought you were stating a fact... oh well.

I'd change it back, but I'm at an opposite end of the country to my PC.

So you'll have to make do with my old cock for the moment Lyds...
Smart Arse Butler
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh........
KerrieSakura
And nothing much has changed. wink.gif

Nice to be back!
pintofbovril
I know what the problem was. It was a defensive reaction to me uploading a picture of myself to that "who's who" thread in the gathering forum, to protect the other members from seeing it. very sorry. i won't do it again. wacko.gif

edit: bugger, not got more than 4000 posts any more mellow.gif
sandra
Eyyy! Nice to be back! Now all we need is for the last poster in each thread to give us a wee summary posting of what got lost! c'mon now, step to it! wink.gif
Ze Phantoim
*darkness*

Hello?

Hello? ....anyone there?

*click*

Aaaaaahhh. There you all are.

Nice to be back. biggrin.gif
Arnold Layne
WaaaaaY! I've got my old avatar back, which, frankly, I prefer to my new one! Everything's good!

Oh, evenin' all, btw.
jimp
you SEE what happens when you re-instate the wonky faced smiley??? wink.gif

i'm off the board for a week anyway (doing the separated-father-spending-time-with-the-kids thing)

hope everything runs smoothy for y'all

happy.gif

bloody good work getting it up and running though nick

i see BUG TRAVEL got 8-9 sites that day ... bad luck .... apparently it WAS down to the RaQfrak.sh (note swear filter is still working wink.gif ) exploit in most cases ... dont know for sure if this is running on a cobalt system though so I have to presume its the same thing

ah well ... see you all in a week ! have fun ....

oh...and if you guys ever have kids .... and one of them ... when he's 8 years old .... ACIDENTALLY sets fire to the living room rug .......
... go easy on him wink.gif
Raven
Good work in getting the board up and running again so quickly Nick, cheers for putting in all the hard work on a holiday weekend smile.gif
soundwave032000
Very good news to have the board up and running again, Red was nearly climbing the walls here without having her daily dose of Spaced.
One thing though, I can`t seem to bring "Gents" up!
My Transformers thread-gone? Say it ain`t so!!! ohmy.gif
bester
i lost my membership in the outage, just had to rejoin. No biggie i'd only made about 20 posts, i just wondered if anyone else had this problem.
ronlogan1977
I did lose a pint in the outage. I've also forgotten how to change the bit of writing under the avatar.
KerrieSakura
QUOTE (ronlogan1977 @ Apr 19 2003, 06:39 PM)
I did lose a pint in the outage. I've also forgotten how to change the bit of writing under the avatar.

The change-of-writing box has gone somewhat missing in the mess, I'm sure it'll be back. As for postcounts, well if you PM your approximate figure to me (unless someone else has volunteered to do this already and I've missed it...) I can change 'em back for you. If yer like smile.gif
NickLee
Update
A "general hardware faliure" this time means ANOTHER reinstall on the server, but, rest assured, absolutely no data lost.
Just another reinstall - I'm getting adept at it now.

-- Nick.
Punch Drunk Monkey
Nick Lee - The Man Who Can

Hip Hip! Hooray! biggrin.gif
Red_heads_have_all_the_fun
Yay, back at last! Being a creature of habit and one of the only ones that does not change Avatar, Sig etc I don't seem to have lost much except my post count *sob*.

Note to Self: Post like mad to make up for lost posts

Joke - honest happy.gif
Speednik
This is the wrong, yet right place to do this. I haven't posted since the outage, so I don't know what my stuff is gonna look like. So this post is to help me work out what I need to do.

thanks for bearing with me smile.gif
Monkey
Ahh, it's nice to be back, I don't post all that often but I did miss this place while it was down.
I hope all of the new guys we lost sign back on, they seemed like nice people... as are the older members ofcourse.
It's quite an odd feeling, like there has been a storm or bushfire and your waiting to hear from friends so you know they are ok.

BTW nice work on the fix up Nick.
Slackbladder
Thanks Nick good you got it back. I`m now back with the peasents again. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.