Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spaced in the US
Spaced Out Forum > Spaced > News
Pages: 1, 2
Downsy
Hi there! I thought I'd let you know that Spaced began airing again in the US this past Monday. It's airing on a channel called Trio. Trio is owned by NBC Universal, which also owns Bravo. Trio's official web site is: www.triotv.com
and their page for Spaced is: www.triotv.com/spaced.
Spaced airs weeknights from 10PM-11PM, and then is repeated from 1AM-2AM. According to their schedule, they will be airing it through October 1st. I believe it is airing here to coincide with the theatrical release of Shaun of The Dead.
Thanks go to Michael Wagner for the info
matta2k
I just thought I'd mention that Trio has made some cuts to the show (beyond eliminating the profanity) so any US fans should still try to import the DVDs if they can.

I haven't watched very many of the Trio-broadcast episodes, but two big cuts I've seen so far were in "Dissolution" (the cake throwing--they cut away to the street scene right after Tim threw cake in Daisy's face) and "Leaves" (the WORST!--they cut the ending off after Mike gave Sophie Tim's letter, so no Brian, Twist, Mike or Marsha).

Because the (FULL) ending is such a classic one, I made video clips of it, so the US viewers could see what they missed. I don't know this forum's policy about posting links to copyrighted material like this--even if the purpose is an altruistic one--so I'll put a link to my own home page where I have links to the clips. Okay?

http://www.paperstreetprod.com/forums/inde...p?showtopic=795

-- Matt
LivingCorpseCom
Wow, that was a massive cut! Thanks for posting that, Matt. You rock.

JK
Baz
My god, why? Why do they have to cut so much out, and especially in the last episode, a big part of the story??? wacko.gif
Raven
Cripes! That's like letting Rolf Harris restore a Turner!
bluecastle7
Yes, I've been watching them on Trio, two eps play from 7-8 and then repeat at 10-11. They are intro'd as being from "The Makers of Shaun of the Dead" and much of the commercial breaks include a spot for the film.

The edits are extensive and remove some of the show's running gags and classic moments. They played "Change" the other night and right after Tim uttered the classic "Babylon5 is a big pile of ____!" line it skipped right over Tim and Bilbo's Happy Dance! Blasphemy! The music played over Tim and Mike's conversation and Daisy in the Bookshop endcredits.

Hard to complain though, great to see Spaced playing in the States! biggrin.gif
getonthebusray
I have to say that the worst moment was when I realised Mike's Chewbacca yawn is gone. To make matters worse, the end credits with Tim & Daisy looking out the window is in fact the *only* 'Star Wars' scene reference. Then credits play with the 'Star Wars' end title, and everyone watching is probably thinking that this sudden reference came straight out of precisely nowhere.

Ah, me, I guess I shouldn't complain too much - this is my first post here since the forum returned, so nonetheless, I do a happy dance. smile.gif
EasyMark
Freakin American tv. Most of it is total crap, written for the lowest common denominator. When a good show does show up, it's either cancelled by ignorant tv executives or (in the case of imported tv) edited all to hell.

Sigh... sad.gif
josef
noooooo.....
i thought Bravo had the rights to it. like, who gets Trio :\
bluecastle7
Well the good news is alot of people! With comcast and direct tv doing their best to infiltrate every American home offering highspeed internet, cable channels, and movie titles on demand, many people should get their chance to see Spaced on Trio which is part of the standard package. ("Yaaayyy!")

While edited, Spaced is certainly being given prime viewing hours and being showcased. Us American fans can thank Trio for that much.
wake
Looks like the only way to enjoy Spaced Fully is to import the DVD from the UK.
josef
QUOTE (wake @ Oct 4 2004, 11:19 AM)
Looks like the only way to enjoy Spaced Fully is to import the DVD from the UK.

which ive done a million years ago anyway

bluecastle7: you get Trio on your comcast? i don't. the only place i've seen trio is nyc.
Mr. Meow Meow Chubby Sticks
Like 7 people in America get Trio anyways..... wacko.gif
Its like a sister-sister channel of Cinemax or something like that hehe.
My sister gets it, but I bought the DVDs a while back. The stupid FCC has been going bonkers ever since Janet Jackson flashed her stuff.
Rob Wells
I would've liked the ad breaks to be left in on the DVDs. The ads that were originally shown during the first broadcast should've been in there too as an extra. Am I alone in this?
Rob Wells
QUOTE (Rob Wells @ Nov 9 2004, 03:06 PM)
I would've liked the ad breaks to be left in on the DVDs.  The ads that were originally shown during the first broadcast should've been in there too as an extra.  Am I alone in this?

... looks like i am.
philip23
hi all,I'm new.
and YES! the FCC here in america has really hurt tv.
good thing I have seen Spaced on DVD.
CrudelyDrawn
I saw 'Spaced' when it aired on Trio during the release of 'Shaun'. I only caught the first six episodes of Series One though and I was immediately hooked. I saved up enough money from odd jobs to get the boxset about a week and a half ago. It really is a lot better on DVD. Mmm.
MargateSteve
QUOTE (Rob Wells @ Nov 18 2004, 09:39 PM)
... looks like i am.

As I never saw the series when it first came out (bar the odd snippet here and there) I do not know what the ads were. However, I always enjoy watching something I recorded years ago and seeing the old ads.
So you are possibly not alone!

Steve
jujubes78
QUOTE (MargateSteve @ Dec 5 2004, 06:28 PM)
As I never saw the series when it first came out (bar the odd snippet here and there) I do not know what the ads were. However, I always enjoy watching something I recorded years ago and seeing the old ads.
So you are possibly not alone!

Steve

I hear they didn't show all the episodes so I just nutted it up and bought the special edition from amazon.uk and then fiddled my dvd player to make it multi-region.
William Couper
Yup. Heaven forbid that some naughty words are shown on american TV!

The other cuts are just weird though. Maybe its to do with the ad breaks in America. Am I wrong in assuming there are more of them during a show? If that's the case then time constraints would necessitate the ham-fisted sounding cuts.

Hello, I'm new you know. Thought I'd throw my views in right away.

Will
rabbit57i
QUOTE (William Couper @ Dec 10 2004, 06:06 AM)
The other cuts are just weird though. Maybe its to do with the ad breaks in America. Am I wrong in assuming there are more of them during a show?

Yeah, even thought Spaced had commercial breaks anyway, they still had to cut even more for the copious amount of commercials. Imagine what they do to the BBC shows when they are shown here (rarely as that is)!
William Couper
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Dec 10 2004, 04:08 PM)
Yeah, even thought Spaced had commercial breaks anyway, they still had to cut even more for the copious amount of commercials. Imagine what they do to the BBC shows when they are shown here (rarely as that is)!

There was that one break right around the middle.

BBC programmes woulf either have to be allowed to run a little longer, or hacked to bits. Which I suspect is the preferred method. Logic would dictate some kind of happy medium.

They run longer when they are repeated on commercial channels over here.

Will
rabbit57i
QUOTE (William Couper @ Dec 17 2004, 06:09 AM)
BBC programmes woulf either have to be allowed to run a little longer, or hacked to bits. 

Hacked to bits it is! The League of gentlemen actually ran for 8 episodes here with some addition scenes that were not broadcast over there on the beeb. At the same time, they completely cut out some scenes totally.

The only show that was allowed to run in full without cutting was Ab Fab. Although I do know that on BBC America they run the shows in full, albeit with at least 3 commercial breaks. That's one of the reasons I wouldn't waste my money on BBCA, I'll just import the originals. tongue.gif
Badept
I agree that watching the ads in old recorded videos is a blast, but given that a lot of the ads on TV are placed regionally - even on C4 IIRC - I don't think it would be possible to create a definitive with-adverts DVD edition.
William Couper
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Dec 17 2004, 05:06 PM)
Hacked to bits it is! The League of gentlemen actually ran for 8 episodes here with some addition scenes that were not broadcast over there on the beeb.

That's one of the reasons I wouldn't waste my money on BBCA, I'll just import the originals.  tongue.gif

Never watched 'League of Gentleman'.

Uh-huh, original is usually best.

I really hate TV executives sometimes...

Will (feeling more tolerant than this time of year usually warrants)
Cubie
just clicked the link to the Trio TV thing and saw this: wired urban surfer Tim Bisley (Simon Pegg). Odd. Doesnt he skate? I cant remember an episode with a surf board, or a reference to surfing...at all...
And I dont understand why the Americans cut stuff from the show. Maybe there should have been more nudity, then they would have shown the show 'un-cut!' and make a big deal out of it. Because at the end of the day, Tits = Sell.
anyways...
leila297
I'm sorry to say that I find myself spaced-less in America! Is Spaced available on region 1 DVD? I've never heard of the Trio network, but since they cut out so much, I am much more interested in the unedited DVD version. I recently purchased the Shaun of the Dead DVD, and it left me with an insatiable appetite for the material of Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright, and crew. Sigh...I have a feeling it will be a couple decades before it airs on PBS.
NoShow
QUOTE (leila297 @ Dec 27 2004, 11:14 PM)
I'm sorry to say that I find myself spaced-less in America!  Is Spaced available on region 1 DVD?  I've never heard of the Trio network, but since they cut out so much, I am much more interested in the unedited DVD version.  I recently purchased the Shaun of the Dead DVD, and it left me with an insatiable appetite for the material of Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright, and crew.  Sigh...I have a feeling it will be a couple decades before it airs on PBS.

leila,

region free dvd players go on ebay for about $30 at least. after i got one, i just went to amazon.co.uk and had a field day. perhaps you should too ;D

-jonathan
mngene
I didn't even know Trio existed till this site told me about the shows, and it so happens I get the channel. Unforturnately, they don't seem to be airing the show anymore. I would have liked to see it even if it was hacked and chopped.
Sees yas later
CrudelyDrawn
I said this at the 'Spaced' section in hopes of more paying attention, but I'll say it here too...

According to Peggster.net, 'Spaced' (both series) will be airing on the Trio Channel on the 29th and the 30th of January.

Click here for the times. It starts at 8AM for both days.
Kyrillion
Is it possible to get actual BBC channels in the US? As in BBC 1 and 2 (and these days 3 and 4) or is it just BBC America - which I gather is a hotchpotch of all BBC stuff.

And presumably non-BBC stuff, cos Spaced is Channel 4...

How much British telly gets exported to America?
rabbit57i
There is no real BBC channels in America. Like you said BBCA has a lot of BBC programes as well as Channel 4 and possibly other stuff. BBCA is actually owned by Discovery channel and have to buy the programs like every other network, although I am sure they have some sort of deal.

You can find other British shows here and there depending on which networks want to bother to shell out the money. Comedy Central sometimes ventures into it although they put the shows in a super graveyard slot..late nite Sundays. CC have run League of Gents, Black Books, Trigger Happy, Ab Fab, Graham Norton, and some other ones. They really don't know what they are doing though.

Bravo has run Spaced, Cold Feet, and other dramas, as has A&E. You can also check out your local PBS station. Ours runs a lot of old 80s comedy series although recently they ran Coupling. And that new "women's" network (Oprah's?) now runs Ab Fab and I believe also Nighty Night.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jan 12 2005, 09:02 AM)
Bravo has run Spaced

Actually the recently-shit-canned-by-DirecTV Trio has Spaced, although Trio is owned by NBC Universal who also own Bravo. If they know what's right they'll bump Spaced over to Bravo eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath; they can't seem to get enough of Celebrity Poker Showdown and West Wing reruns, it seems. Bastards.
CrudelyDrawn
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Jan 12 2005, 11:02 AM)
CC have run League of Gents, Black Books, Trigger Happy, Ab Fab, Graham Norton, and some other ones. They really don't know what they are doing though.

Bravo has run Spaced, Cold Feet, and other dramas, as has A&E. You can also check out your local PBS station. Ours runs a lot of old 80s comedy series although recently they ran Coupling. And that new "women's" network (Oprah's?) now runs Ab Fab and I believe also Nighty Night.

Oh my fucking word. Are you kidding me?! Black Books has been on Comedy Central and I've missed it! I think I'm going to die. When was this?

Ah yes. Oxygen, or as I like to call it 'the Ovary Channel', has aired AbFab and Nighty Night. I'm glad too. They should air more shows like Nighty Night and less makeover shows on BBC America. I can only handle so much 'Changing Rooms' and 'House Invaders' each day...
Justincredible
QUOTE (Kyrillion @ Jan 12 2005, 08:18 AM)
Is it possible to get actual BBC channels in the US? As in BBC 1 and 2 (and these days 3 and 4) or is it just BBC America - which I gather is a hotchpotch of all BBC stuff.

And presumably non-BBC stuff, cos Spaced is Channel 4...

How much British telly gets exported to America?

What about those of us that don't pay for all the cable channels... we really suffer! I know PBS sometimes runs shows tho too. They used to run Are You Being Served, Mr Bean, and one other show that i can't remember but it had something to do with a blue light, or light blue, or something like that.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (CrudelyDrawn @ Jan 12 2005, 07:15 PM)
Oh my fucking word. Are you kidding me?! Black Books has been on Comedy Central and I've missed it! I think I'm going to die. When was this?

It was quite a while ago, I think it was early 2002. I see that they are running Black Books on BBCA this coming month. I don't know how many of the series that they are running though. They are also running the Dylan Moran live show that was recorded in NY this past year.

I know PBS sometimes runs shows tho too. They used to run Are You Being Served, Mr Bean, and one other show that i can't remember but it had something to do with a blue light, or light blue, or something like that.

That would probably be Thin Blue Line. I think that's suppossed to be not so good. PBS stations always play bad or old series because they don't have enough money to by better stuff.
Kyrillion
You can also check out your local PBS station. Ours runs a lot of old 80s comedy series although recently they ran Coupling. And that new "women's" network (Oprah's?) now runs Ab Fab and I believe also Nighty Night.

Oh, I'm English smile.gif I was just curious how much of our stuff goes over the pond. Why would anyone bother exporting Coupling? Ab Fab I can understand, but...
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Kyrillion @ Jan 13 2005, 11:43 AM)
Why would anyone bother exporting Coupling? Ab Fab I can understand, but...

Hey, I enjoyed it! smile.gif I don't usually like stupid shows like that, but maybe it's my age & sorta indentifing & all that. I'm not saying it's the greatest, but it killed a half hour nicely.
Justincredible
never heard of ab fab or coupling. Black books and Leage of Gents seem to be popular shows... but haven't seen those either. Yeah it was The Blue Line. It wasn't too great from what i saw.
rabbit57i
QUOTE (Justincredible @ Jan 14 2005, 12:54 AM)
never heard of ab fab or coupling.  Black books and Leage of Gents seem to be popular shows... but haven't seen those either. 

ohmy.gif
Starscream`s Ghost
QUOTE (Justincredible @ Jan 14 2005, 05:54 AM)
never heard of ab fab or coupling.  Black books and Leage of Gents seem to be popular shows... but haven't seen those either.

You, sir, have never lived. Go and see them, forthwith.

I mean it.
Justincredible
hey, forgive me! I live in the US! Its a bit hard to find out about these things over here! But i'm glad I'm in the know now. My first objective is still to get a region-free dvd player and order the Spaced three disk set.
franktherabbit
amen brotha.
we americans struggle as filth completely consumes our brains.
our tv shows are trash.
though there are a few that are great... smile.gif
Justincredible
not many, but a few... i'm waiting for the slew of reality tv shows to die off... the only one that i feel are worth watching are Survivor and The Amazing Race... all the rest can die off, please.
franktherabbit
i think that by the success of regular shows, networks are going to remove some reality shows. they're finally seeing that we KNOW this stuff is trash by the simple fact that we're starting to rebel. we won't put up w/ watching that crap anymore.

so import stuff from the UK.

PLEASE.

--mitch
CrudelyDrawn
I've blown most of my money buying stuff from the UK that we can't get here. Like Irn-Bru chew bars. And the 'Spaced' Boxset.
pots
QUOTE (CrudelyDrawn @ Jan 13 2005, 12:15 AM)
Ah yes. Oxygen, or as I like to call it 'the Ovary Channel', has aired AbFab and Nighty Night.

how did nighty night go down in the states? not the most 'family friendly' comedy - it makes six feet under look like last of the summer wine.
thirtyhelens
QUOTE (pots @ Jan 19 2005, 04:16 PM)
how did nighty night go down in the states? not the most 'family friendly' comedy - it makes six feet under look like last of the summer wine.

You know, I'm not terribly sure how it clocked in ratings-wise, but the critics loved it. Our TV writer had nothing but praise:

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/37/tv-abele.php

That made me smile. Probably not a good sign that it's off Oxygen's sched again, though.... mad.gif
pots
yeah, nice review. i just wonder how your average friends viewer saw it...
CrudelyDrawn
QUOTE (pots @ Jan 19 2005, 07:16 PM)

I'm the only person I know (offline) that has seen the show. Personally, I adored it. I'm okay with AbFab (it's enjoyable, but I wouldn't rank it as one of my favorites), but Nighty Night is awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.