Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Last gig you saw
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Music
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
pump.up.the.jam
went to see kings of leon last month in Brighton.

brilliant as allways

happy.gif
Timothy Bisley
Went to Twisted Sister concert.
Badger
I didn't know Twisted Sister were still touring.

Took my Mum to see Andy Williams a few weeks ago.
rabbit57i
I was at the Warped Tour this Saturday. It was pure Hell. There were weather alerts that said to limit all outdoor activity. excl.gif

However, I did see lots of bands play:
Mest
Avenge Sevenfold
Atreyu
Dropkick Murphys
Hawthorne Heights
The Transplants
The Offspring
My Chemical Romance
Skindred
Emery
Valient Thorr happy.gif
Circa Survive
maian
Earlier on today I saw Disposable Heroes ''the World's number 1 Metallica Tribute Act'' by accident.

My mate's band were playing and i thought they would be first up since they were the only ones who used an electronic drum machine so it would be best to get them out of the way. This suited me since I have work tomorrow and couldn't stay for the whole night. However, they'd been bumped up tp headline because of their drum machine and the Metallica tribute act (who were meant to headline) got put first on, so I only saw them.

They were quite good but I was hoping to hear what my mate's band sounded like. I heard them soundcheck (having snuck in pretending to be a roadie) and they sounded like The Fall but weirder.
The Phantom
Went to the Summer Sundae festival last weekend. Highlights for me were Tom Vek, The Bees, Lemon Jelly, Four Tet, Minotaur Shock and The Magic Numbers. Much fun had by all.
daybreak
Dinosaur Jr at the Forum. BLAW! They were amazing, i was 7 feet away from one of my heroes, that hero being J Mascis.
Sostie
NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS at Alexandra Palace

As usual brilliant. In a class of his own. About 7 times now I've seen him and he is never less than exceptional. The best (IHO) frontman/songwriter in the world today, fronting one of the best backing bands of cool, slightly deranged musos, The Bad Seeds is usually good enough, but the addition of a few gospel choir members was bliss. Darker than any Death Metal band more romantic than any balladeer around.

If you give an infinate amount of James Blunts an infinate amount of guitars and an infinate of time, they still couldn't come up with anything nearly as good as Old Nick writes

Still think his stick like frame is about to snap when he leaps about on stage though.
maian
I went to the Reading Festival and saw a hell of a lot of bands so I'll just summarise the top ten and my biggest disappointment.

1. The Pixies-Oh sweet jesus they were amazing, Black Francis was on top vocal form, he and Kim had a wonderful bit of banter ''Kim: We should probably dedicate this to the girl who broke her neck (Broken Face). Did you hear abou that?'' ''Charles: Yeah, I uh, heard it on site. And I pray to god that she's alright''. Plus they played a set that was just a dream, not stopping between songs so we all got our moneys worth.

2. The Arcade Fire-This was smething special. The songs I'd grown to love on the record were given such ferocious energy live, the crowd were loving it, Win Butler tried to stage dive but was nabbed by security, I burst into tears during 'Tunnels' and the whole thing was like a religious experience.

3. QOTSA-Rock the way it's menat to be (I suppose that should be RAWK!1!!1, then), great set with an exhibition of Josh's softer side during 'Lost Art...' (We're not continuing til all those people are up. Help each out guys, come on, take care of one another)

4. Echo & The Bunnymen-Majestically cool, they were the last band I saw and it was a great way to end the festival.

5. The Rakes (of London Park Party)-I don't particularly rate them as a band, but this was something great. The lead singer couldn't perform due to a throat problem, so the guitarist sang a few songs, then they got Russell from Bloc Party to add some extra guitar, Paul Smith (of Maximo Park) came on and sang the rest of the set (reading the lyrics from a little red book) and finally Towers of London came on stage to provide extra vocals. An indie supergroup if ever there was one.

6. Foo Fighters-If only because Mr Grohl got behind the drums at Reading for the first time in 13 years and gave one hell of a performance.

7. Roots Manuva-Loved the louder versions of stuff from Awfully Deep, and 'Witness' was immense.

8. Iggy and the Stooges-That's how you play a festival. Have a, quite frankly, insane frontman and give the people what they want. Slightly dissapointed that he didn't do 'Lust For Life' but who cares?

9. Dinosaur Jr.-Not only did they do a great performance, but the guitarist looked like an elderly Cousin It when the wind whipped his hair over his face.

10. LCD Soundsystem-The punk version of ''Daft Punk...'' was fabulous, 'Tribulations' was even better than on record, and I loved the fact that James Murphy was bemused when someone shouted ''Give us a wave'' and the whole crowd waved back at him when he did. So he kept doing it and looked ever more confused as the set wore on.

Special mentions to Adam Green, Beautiful People, Forward Russia!, Yeti, BSP, and a host of other great acts.

My one disappointment was MIA. I love Arular but the performance wasn't up to much. The DJing took precedence so the lyrics were almost indescipherable, a live show should consist of more than a DJ and another female vocalist, and the dry ice was so bad that after 10 minutes she was invisible.

Still, a top weekend. Apart from all the twats near my tent and the one drunk who fell on my tent whilst I was in it, which wasn't fun.
Ohio_is_for_lovers
Just seen Trivium, they were fucking awesome, i was near the front, twas bloody ace biggrin.gif
Sostie
Went to the Standard in Walthamstow (looking at its upcoming gigs list, the unofficial home of tribute bands) and saw a Doors tribute band. Basically a very passable re-enactment of a back catalogue. The only problem being, I've never really rated the doors

It was worth paying the entrance fee for the glorious sight of a guy in his tracksuit dancing his no rhythm side-to-side dance during the set, even between the songs. It looked like he was there with his father. Maybe he took him out to teach him the art of "dad dancing". Bless
pots
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 11 2005, 12:58 AM)
Went to the Standard in Walthamstow (looking at its upcoming gigs list, the unofficial home of tribute bands) and saw a Doors tribute band.

i went into a record shop the other day and said to the guy behind the counter 'what have you got by the doors?'

he said 'a bucket of sand and a fire extinguisher'.
Melll
Last gig? Foo Fightes at Leeds Festival, but check the reviews section for the low-down.
superfurryandy
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 11 2005, 12:58 AM)
Went to the Standard in Walthamstow (looking at its upcoming gigs list, the unofficial home of tribute bands) and saw a Doors tribute band.  Basically a very passable re-enactment of a back catalogue.  The only problem being, I've never really rated the doors

It was worth paying the entrance fee for the glorious sight of a guy in his tracksuit dancing his no rhythm side-to-side dance during the set, even between the songs.  It looked like he was there with his father.  Maybe he took him out to teach him the art of "dad dancing". Bless

A mate of mine once saw a German metal band there - the singer set himself on fire but carried on singing whilst various roadies frantically put him out and then declared "Yes, London! ROCK AND ROLL!".
kateykinz
I saw Oasis in Vancouver the other night and they rocked. It was so much better than I thought it was going to be - thankfully they played most stuff off their first three albums and only a few of their newer ones. They finished with a cover of My Generation which was absolutely superb.

Support was from Kasabian and Jet - both were excellent but Kasabian had me the most excited happy.gif
kid_koala
i went to the fantabulous Bestival! saw many a good band, and even had a natter with Howard Marks and Gruff Rhys! score!
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (kid_koala @ Sep 15 2005, 01:11 PM)
i went to the fantabulous Bestival! saw many a good band, and even had a natter with Howard Marks and Gruff Rhys! score!

Aww, you cheeky monkey - did you see Ulrich Schnauss?
ipse dixit
Last night, I went to The Lumiere in Kilburn to see The Priscillas - chick rock raaah! Was good fun, not the sort of thing I'd buy but a lively and enjoyable live act. We dressed up especially with polka dot scarves, heavy eyeliner and bright red lipstick all round. Photo evidence will follow in the whores thread if I ever manage to regain control of technology.

First of the supports was a group of lads playing the sort of standard you could find in any pub in any town in the country, but the second support, called Seeing Scarlet, were great. Their music was very Killers and they all wore suits.

We were the only ones dancing all night. Everyone else was trying to be cool.
Sostie
QUOTE (ipse dixit @ Sep 15 2005, 03:38 PM)
Last night, I went to The Lumiere in Kilburn to see The Priscillas - chick rock raaah! Was good fun, not the sort of thing I'd buy but a lively and enjoyable live act. We dressed up especially with polka dot scarves, heavy eyeliner and bright red lipstick all round. Photo evidence will follow in the whores thread if I ever manage to regain control of technology.

Fantastic aren't they. I love the Priscilla Presley-esque haircuts. Lat time I saw saw them me and my friend vowed that we would try and see them the next gig...looks like we didn't sad.gif (my mini mini mini review of them on page 20)
ipse dixit
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 15 2005, 08:06 PM)
Fantastic aren't they.  I love the Priscilla Presley-esque haircuts.  Lat time I saw saw them me and my friend vowed that we would try and see them the next gig...looks like we didn't  sad.gif  (my mini mini mini review of them on page 20)

Aw, sorry I didn't give you a heads up on it sooner - I only found out about it and decided to go on the day. (Check out our Priscilla inspired outfits in the Whores thread biggrin.gif ).
Injektilo
In Flames, Lacuna Coil, Chimaira and Caliban at the Hammersmith Apollo last Xmas...urgh...I've just realised how long it's been since I've been to a gig... sad.gif
Kirstie
QUOTE (kid_koala @ Sep 15 2005, 01:11 PM)

Lucky you... didn't happen to catch a small band called THe Spral, by any chance? They're from my neck of the woods and my boyfriend's band's besotted with them...

My last gig was Leeds festival... the Cooper Temple Clause were AMAZING and it was one of the last times they ever played with their bassist, who has now left to join Carl fucking Barat's new band. mad.gif
rabbit57i
Valient Thorr

Rockin' band with lots of fun. Packed out a small club at 2:30 am! The lead singer, Valient Himself, made the entire place sit down on the floor at one point...very interesting experience.
Sostie
Just got back from the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion at KOKO. Part of the All Tomorrows Parties season where bands play their most popular album straight through. Tonight it was JSBX playing "Orange". Frankly I would left happy if they only played "Bellbottoms" - one of the best openers to one of the best rock'n'roll albums ever. The whole thing was blinding, and playing at just under 2 hours it was real VFM. Nice to see the pheremin making a comeback in the world of rock too.
Shack
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 22 2005, 12:05 AM)
Nice to see the pheremin making a comeback in the world of rock too.

You should go and see John Otway. Not only does he play the theremin to "Crazy Horses", he also does a somersault off a ladder while holding a guitar.

Anyway, last night I went to see MEW at the Cockpit in Leeds. Those crazy Scandinavians sure know how to entertain, with blasting high vocals, lights a-go-go and a huge big sheet with projections on it behind the band. Like fairytale music, but for the louder and more indie generation. Further investigation required.
Sostie
QUOTE (Shack @ Sep 23 2005, 07:51 AM)
You should go and see John Otway. Not only does he play the theremin to "Crazy Horses", he also does a somersault off a ladder while holding a guitar.

Anyway, last night I went to see MEW at the Cockpit in Leeds. Those crazy Scandinavians sure know how to entertain, with blasting high vocals, lights a-go-go and a huge big sheet with projections on it behind the band. Like fairytale music, but for the louder and more indie generation. Further investigation required.

Saw them a month or so ago. A real eye opener. Finally got their last CD which is great, and new one out next week.
A friend of mine, she's a little short, got a glimpse of the singer approachiing the mic stand. "Ooh, is the man going to sing now". She couldnt see the stage properly and thought there was a female vocalist,
Shack
QUOTE (Sostie @ Sep 23 2005, 09:01 AM)
Saw them a month or so ago.  A real eye opener.  Finally got their last CD which is great, and new one out next week.
A friend of mine, she's a little short, got a glimpse of the singer approachiing the mic stand.  "Ooh, is the man going to sing now".  She couldnt see the stage properly and thought there was a female vocalist,

There is no doubting his feminine voice. I was in two minds during the gig whether it was just a woman who was a bit mannish and dressed like a boy or it was actually a man with a scarily high voice.
Jessopjessopjessop
Oh Boy!

I'm so excited because I'm going to see Ulrich Schnauss live in October. He wasn't supposed to have any more UK gigs this year, and I've never even seen him live before, so this is just bloody brilliant news!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif (yes, 3 of them)
Stella MM
Should any of you have the misfortune to have tickets to see a band called Thee Exciters, please burn them now. The tickets, I mean, although the band could do with a bit of a singeing, too.

Aside from the piss-poor Iggy Pop rip-off songs (and a couple of Iggy Pop covers done so badly they just sounded like piss-poor rip-offs) their defining feature is their excruciatingly awful frontman. Writhing round with his top off and his scraggy hair pulled over his face, he clearly thought he was the incarnation of both Kurt and Iggy but in fact he wasn't even up to Ewan McGregor in Velvet Goldmine standard. It was knuckle-gnawingly embarrassing.
Blind I/O
The Wayriders and The Attic Project were tiptop. If anyone's from Chestera dn into punk/ska, I highly recommend you go to the last ever Wayriders gig at Alexanders on the 10th. They're awesome.
maian
Saw The Editors supported by We Are Scientists and Cinematics yesterday at the Plug in Sheffield. A really good line up of bands, The Cinematics were a pleasant surprise since I heard nothing by them, Editors were as brilliant as they have been the last few times I 've seen them, but the real revelation for me was We Are Scientists. I saw them briefly at Reading and wasn't too impressed, but they really rocked the place when I saw them this time. 'The Great Escape' was a particular highlight of the evening.
JeffStuka
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 5 2005, 02:22 PM)
Editors were as brilliant as they have been the last few times I 've seen them,

[accompanying dejected head shaking]How did you end up so wrong?[/accompanying dejected head shaking]

I saw Royksopp last night. Vewwy good. Vewwy, vewwy good.

I'm off to see icy boy girl electro to night as Ladytron are in town.
*trundles off considering how to convince girlfriend that foursome with the ladies of ladytron is a good idea*
maian
Nowt wrong with Editors, they may not be original (i.e. a Joy Division rip-off) but they aren't bad live and they make a decent racket.

The last-ah
gig I saw-ah
was The Fall-ah

They were awesome, I was right up front and nearly nabbed the setlist but some one else leapt from the other side of the stage and got there before me. I would've been made but I was too impressed by it.
Blind I/O
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 10 2005, 02:31 PM)
The Fall-ah

Ooo, I should look into getting tickets for their next Leeds thing, thanks for the reminder.
JeffStuka
Nowt wrong with Editors, they may not be original (i.e. a Joy Division rip-off) but they aren't bad live and they make a decent racket.
The wrongness comes in their rippy-offness. Rubbish. As are many of the lyrics.

The last-ah
gig I saw-ah
was The Fall-ah

that's a fantastic Mark E Smith impression.
maian
QUOTE (JeffStuka @ Oct 10 2005, 02:10 PM)
that's a fantastic Mark E Smith impression.

Only really works in print sadly. My real-life impression is passable, but some of my more obsessed mates have really got it down to a T.
JeffStuka
Ladytron last night and boy, I wanna sex 'em. Grrr.
shinyelvenqueen
I saw Bloc Party at the weekend at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Fantastic stuff, they play great live and the support weren't bad (Kaito). They are such nice freindly boys and the bassist is cuuuuuute! I've not listened to the album for ages but I'll be blowing the dust of it tonight. Good album, great band.
maian
QUOTE (shinyelvenqueen @ Oct 12 2005, 06:15 PM)
I saw Bloc Party at the weekend at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Fantastic stuff, they play great live and the support weren't bad (Kaito). They are such nice freindly boys and the bassist is cuuuuuute! I've not listened to the album for ages but I'll be blowing the dust of it tonight. Good album, great band.

I saw them last night with my sister and they were amazing! They didn't play as much new stuff as I would have like but the gig was still great, it had a really wonderful atmosphere and the songs sounded great, even the ones offf Silent Alarm that I would consider to be more filler than killer i.e. 'Blue Light' and 'Price Of Gas'. I had a massive smile on my face when Kele played a bit of 'Paranoid Android' in between the songs, and when he started to make 'spooky' hand gestures during 'Positive Tension', they were actually really funny and engaging.

It was the third time I'd seen them and was undoubtably the best.
Kick in the Head
Saw Eels with Strings at the Royal Albert Hall last night - absolutely breathtaking. E's a legend, and the accompanying strings were sublime. Although Blinking Lights... was the focus, there were plenty of earlier tracks as well, particularly I Like Birds, Bus Stop Boxer, Novocaine for the Soul (which was given a strange 5-minute experiemental intro) and Dog-Faced Boy as their second (yes, second!) encore. But the Blinking Lights tracks were stunning as well.

Wonderful gig - if marred by the stupid bitch sitting a few seats away who had Chronic Whooping Disorder. Okay, the odd whoop is acceptable - but through every single track? Even the slower, gentle ones? And then in between tracks? Just because someone ain't singing, doesn't mean that they can 'fill' the gap with their inane owl impressions... mad.gif
rabbit57i
Saw the Upper Crust whilst touring around Manhattan on a boat. I am so glad that I finally got to see these guys. Humor & hard rocking.....what more can you want?

Sostie
QUOTE (rabbit57i @ Oct 13 2005, 04:50 PM)
Saw the Upper Crust whilst touring around Manhattan on a boat. I am so glad that I finally got to see these guys. Humor & hard rocking.....what more can you want?

T'was a fantastic night. The music was great, the beers aplenty and the views stunning. Thanks for recommending Michele.

Afterwards a couple of girls recommended a band playing in some Tex Mex bar. Three Bad Jacks - excellent rockabilly band that finished with a great cover of Ace Of Spades.
Metallicock
Last Gig I saw was 'A' in Manchester. Not really my kinda scene, as I only attended to shut my mate up, but suprisingly it had some pretty decent rockage! 7/10

Gigs prior to that that ive been to are:

The Stands in Preston - That was a cool set by them. Definately worth 9 and the drumstick I caught! 8/10

Mr. Scruff - Preston - Wow, trouser jazz stuff simply amazing! I nearly died when the Spandex Man tune came on! Very good gig indeed! 8.5/10

Editors - Manchester - Went with some lass I know wink.gif and we'd been drinking all day. Some superb tunes from We Are Scientists and Cinematics, topped off by The Editors. Exceeded my expectations 100% cool.gif 8.75/10

Next gigs are Subways in Preston, Clone Roses in Preston, Foo Fighters in Manchester and Noise & Confusion 05 in Cardiff! Cant wait!!!!!!!
feck off!
I saw Duracell on friday at a local pub. He was flippin' fantastic , especialy since it wowed me , and it's not exactly my scene.

Anyone who's not familiar with him should check out his site.....

http://andrediamant.free.fr/duracell

He's an amazing drummer who has his kit rigged up with loads of synthesising gear , and it sounds great. biggrin.gif
SuperSaiyanStoner
Saw Cathedral and Grand Magus on friday. Amazing stuff!

Rockbeatstone
Sufjan Stevens & The Illinoisemakers at the Passionskirche in Berlin.

Absolutely awesome. That band has some of the most musically talented members I have heard in a long while. And seeing a show in such a great space is always a winner. 8/10
Jessopjessopjessop
Ulrich Schnauss at Water Rats, King's Cross.

An excellent gig. He played all new material except one track. Standing right in front of the stage gave us a great view of his really impressive keyboard skillz. Some whoring will follow. The new album is going to be gooood. biggrin.gif
Jon 79
I saw the Electric 6 last weekend in Wellington.
They were great, but I was particularly impressed by one of the support acts. A ska band called The Offbeats. ... very retro.
Gramsci
I saw the Requiem in Oslo a couple of weeks ago.
And they were amazing!
Check out this song
It's beautiful hardcore.
Shack
I saw Brakes at the Cockpit in Leeds on Friday, and they were jolly good indeed. They did a cover or two, but played pretty much all the tracks off the album, including the one's that last about 5 seconds.

My only disappointment was not recognising them from either British Sea Power or Electric Soft Parade. I think they must wear different hats in the other bands, or perhaps have different faces.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.