Haven't seen this myself but the showings for the next couple of weeks are

Green Wing C4 Friday 1/10 21.30
Green Wing C4 Saturday 2/10 23.10
Green Wing E4 Wednesday 6/10 23.00
Green Wing C4 Friday 8/10 21.30
Green Wing C4 Saturday 9/10 23.10

Steve
Baz
I've only seen the first one and I thought it was quite good.

I keep forgetting it's on, and I'll probably forget that it's on tonight too. wacko.gif
The Phantom
tis a funny show
Juliet
Yes the show is really funny and Mark Heap is absolutely gorgeous in the show! wub.gif
innercitysumo
I've watched all four episodes so far. Only real problem is the whole sped-up thing in scenes. It gets annoying.
J.R
I noticed it a lot the first time I watched it, but now it's just part of the program and I think it works really well.
Baz
I tried watching it tonight, but I just don't find it funny.
J.R
Where as I thought it was a great episode smile.gif
fatmanintweed
I missed the first episode, and I was told it wasn't that good. I tuned in for the second and loved it, as did the people who hadn't liked the first. rolleyes.gif
Melll
I'm liking it, lots. I just think it's barking mad. The speedy-up/slowy-down thing is a bit annoying, but you don't notice it after a while.

Heap's character is great.
Mizzie
Was anyone disturbed and mentally scarred by the sight of Mark Heap's pale arse on tonights show (Friday 1st Oct)???

wacko.gif
Stella MM
Bah! I missed the first half, so no arse-sightings for me. He does get it out in Spaced though doesn't he?

QUOTE ( Juliet)
Mark Heap is absolutely gorgeous in the show!

huh.gif He mings! That mullet! Those glasses!
Sixtyten
He mings! That mullet! Those glasses!

But that's just your type wink.gif
Ade
I think Green Wing is great. As Melll said, it is barking mad - it has been ages
since anything quite so manic graced our TV screens, aside from Garth Marenghi,
perhaps - hmmm, hospital based comedy again... do I sense a trend emerging? smile.gif

Mark Heap cracks me up - the constantly baited, sexually frustrated Dr Alan
Statham is a hilarious hybrid of a repressed Basil Fawlty, Rain Man, and that
jerky bloke from the Carry On films with the glasses and flat cap who always
spills his pint by throwing it over his shoulder ("wahey! I'll have another one
please."). Ahem.

The sight of him "polishing" Linden's desk with his bare arse was gut-bustingly
funny - another of those "speeded-up" visual moments - on that note, I actually
think they are a very canny device for the show, saving time for MORE comical
moments by accelerating the less relevant, transitional camera movements,
and slowing down the visual, sight gags, which just helps to enhance the
silliness/ridiculousness of the scenes.

Pippa Haywood mentioned in the webchat last night that we have another FOUR
episodes of Green Wing to look forward to yet!! And the eventual DVD release
could well feature LOADS of extras, apparently, since they filmed a lot of
ad-libbed stuff, so there could be a plethora of deleted scenes... Bring it on!
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I kind of rattled on there, a bit. smile.gif
Sixtyten
GRRRREAT! I love it. I'm sure the speeding up thing is just a way of condensing a full day into an hourlong episode.
UNS
Its probably not a great first post to make here since I'm disagreeing with most people, but I just don't find it funny. It seems like the writers couldn't decide if they wanted to make it a wacky sketch show or something that focuses on character and plot development but The characters are mostly unlikeable arrogant twats.
fear_of_pop
That's how I felt when I'd only seen two episodes, but it suddenly tricked me into liking it.
Juliet
Was anyone disturbed and mentally scarred by the sight of Mark Heap's pale arse on tonights show (Friday 1st Oct)???

Hehe yes! Well I thought the last night’s episode where they were at the party was brilliant, I was most interested about the drunken Caroline snog almost everybody at the party.
Mizzie
QUOTE (Juliet @ October 2nd 2004, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (Mizzie @ October 1st 2004, 11:56 PM)
Hehe yes! Well I thought the last night’s episode where they were at the party was brilliant, I was most interested about the drunken Caroline snog almost everybody at the party.

Haven't we all been in Caroline's situation!

Just me then....
Stella MM
I felt all warm and gooey inside when Mac kissed Caroline. I love him. Sigh.

QUOTE (UNS)
The characters are mostly unlikeable arrogant twats.

I get the impression this is somewhat deliberate so as to make Caroline seem even more like the one sane person in the middle of a mad house. And arrogant and unlikeable twats are funny (as Ricky Gervais realised).
Funky Pete
I love Mac too!

I love Green Wing, in a scary obsessive way!! I cant stop singing LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!
spacegurl
i think green wing it great!
its worth watching just for the male cast alone: mac, guy, lyndon, boyce, alan- i love them all!
however mark heap is still my favourite tongue.gif
williambuckrogers
hello again, just wanted to say how much I absolutely love GREEN WING! all the characters in it are great (not flawless of course, but that's the point, eh?!) but particulaly (sp?) Fran AKA Tamsin AKA Dr Todd, who seems to hold the whole thing together!

nice to see the couple from the first series of THE OFFICE getting back together, eh?!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Stella MM
nice to see the couple from the first series of THE OFFICE getting back together, eh?!!

Slap my arse and call me Mistress Thicky-Pants! I didn't get that at all when I saw it on Friday. Mind you, I was a weeny bit pissed which is probably why it passed me by...

Can't wait for this week's episode with the aftermath of the party.

Edited to re-iterate that Dr Mac is a ginger (sorry, strawberry blonde) god. Did I mention I love him?
Bloomeeney
I watched Green Wing from the start and I think it's fantastic. I am also madly in love with Sarah Alexander so that could have something to do with it!!!!
ONscotland
I like Green Wing too, but it seems to polarise opinion - everyone I know either loves it or hates it...
The Phantom
yup she is pretty fine.
williambuckrogers
Edited to re-iterate that Dr Mac is a ginger (sorry, strawberry blonde) god. Did I mention I love him?

he seems familiar, your dr mac there - has he been in summat else recently??
Mizzie
Is Sarah Alexander still going out with Peter Serafinowicz, does anyone know?
fear_of_pop
nice to see the couple from the first series of THE OFFICE getting back together, eh?!!

.......I don't get it...... I really, really don't. sad.gif
Stella MM
The blond doctor (Boycie?) and the dark-haired not-mental secretary also played a couple in The Office.

QUOTE (williambuckrogers)

He was in Black Books 3 as the smooooth explorer that everyone fancied. He was damn sexy in that, and all.
Mizzie
He was also in "Hippies" with my future husband, Darren Boyd happy.gif and he's in "Tomb Raider" as well.

Julian Rhind-Tutt
Kick in the Head
Julian Rhind-Tutt was the brother of the head of music at my old school - hey there, fact fans!

Anyway, yes, I agree that Green Wing does indeed split opinion and I fall into the HATE camp. It just really irritated me. Maybe I should have given it more of a chance, but the speed-up slow-down style is such an unnecessary stylistic error, I don't care for any of the two-dimensional madcap characters (whereas you truly care about David Brent in some kind of perverse way) and the gags just seem to rely on someone just being weird, rather than actually having a proper fullblown joke. mad.gif

Ranty, ranty, rant!
violent_purple
I do like Green WIng, even if it does try too hard to be surreal, but I've become attached to all the characters and Julian Rhind Tutt!
Mark Heap is hilarious in it but.... what happened to the flawless derriere!? And that hair? Whats going on with it? *is confused*
I particulary like Sue White, and her random dancing.
spacegurl
QUOTE(williambuckrogers)

he was also in notting hill- thats where i recognise him from.
Little Birdy
I don't like Julian Rhind-Tutt - he creeps me out. Not sure why - he's just... odd... I haven't seen Green Wing yet (obviously - i live in Australia) but i like Tamsin Greig and Mark Heap (although he seems rather weird) so i'll have to check it out eventually. cool.gif

And whoever asked about the Peter Serafinowicz and Sarah Alexander thing: I hope they're not still together. It's just... wrong. He's great and she's... well, i don't really like her. wacko.gif
Mizzie
QUOTE (Little Birdy @ October 4th 2004, 05:43 PM)
And whoever asked about the Peter Serafinowicz and Sarah Alexander thing: I hope they're not still together. It's just... wrong. He's great and she's... well, i don't really like her. wacko.gif

That was me! smile.gif She was dating an old aged pensioner before that... just take her to bingo, that might do the trick! laugh.gif
williambuckrogers
how did this end up here?! I dont even like mark heap in this show... oh well...

QUOTE(williambuckrogers)

He was in Black Books 3 as the smooooth explorer that everyone fancied. He was damn sexy in that, and all.

Ah YES!! thank you for that i knew he was familiar... actually i could just have done an imdb for him, thatwould have been quicker!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Impossible
I've watched Green Wing a few times now, and I still don't like it very much huh.gif
Melll
I think Sarah Alexander is oddly attractive, even though she looks like she's got psycho potential. She was in that 'The Worst Week Of My Life' - ugh.
williambuckrogers
as it happens, i think mark heap is the worst thing abot this show (if i'm going to have to Watch some Cast here!) - he seems such a cliche in it, a bit 'CARRY ON' if you know what i mean but not in a good way...... oh good another bumbly sernior doctor with stragne sexual issues, hoooray......
Melll
Thing is, he plays that kind of nervous character so well though. Because he's a bit of an oddball.
williambuckrogers
i dunno, i think its just overegged a bit - you could have him being general sauve and sophisticated and then occasionnally lapsing into the bumbly stuttery oddbally freaky pervy lechy doctory stuff at moments of heightened arousal and or embarassment.

......i should write sitcoms......... cool.gif
Melll
Perhaps, but who else could burst out of a cupboard playing a piccolo?

huh?
williambuckrogers
the actor kevin eldon? or any other member of the chris morris/big train stable...
Melll
Indeed.

Like I said though, I think the nervousness is when makes the character funny. He's getting into all these situations which are totally humiliating - none of which are of his own doing, he's mainly reacting to his surroundings.

Think of him as Brian with a PhD. smile.gif
williambuckrogers
heh I'd say that SOME of the situations are of his own doing.... the 'manjuice' in the locket, for one!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
bagpuss
A friend of mine said that he enjoyed the memory of watching Green Wing more than when he was actually watching it. I'd say it looks like a few people here might agree with him.
Melll
the 'manjuice' in the locket, for one!!!

How'd I manage to block that one out?
williambuckrogers
if you work it out, tell the rest of us... i'm gonna be scarred in the brain!! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.