Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Stargate Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ingram
Yeah you know Im a boxset junkie though. I have seasons 1-7 in front of me right now. I can't wait to add 8 to the collection. Although I dislike the fact that the depreciation is pretty intense after about 6 months.
Ingram
With the new series of both Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis set to begin on July 15th in the USA and scheduled with a rather vague Autumn 2005 beginning on Sky One for the UK I think this thread deserves a bump.

Stargate SG-1 will begin with a two part episode entitled "Avalon" and Stargate: Atlantis will conclude it's rather dramatic season finale with "The Siege: Part Three". Both shows are set to introduce new cast members, previously mentioned in this thread was Ben Browder and his involvement in SG-1 will be as Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell but any further information on this should be spoilered so as to not confirm or deny rumours about his involvement in the eponymous team or his role at Stargate Command. There will also be new cast members on Atlantis with the main team all reprising their roles from the last season.

Can't wait to see how they both turn out - this may be the last series for SG-1, or at least it is rumoured to be.
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ May 31 2005, 12:49 PM)
Can't wait to see how they both turn out - this may be the last series for SG-1, or at least it is rumoured to be.

They've been saying that for about four/five years now but they just can't put this puppy down . . . wink.gif

Personally, with the raft of new characters they are introducing, I'm not so sure it will be the show's last season at all.

You can also add Beau Bridges and Lexa Doig to the list of newbies at SGC this season cool.gif
Ingram
Yes well I doubt it will be the last but you never know. Especially because of RDA's involvement is less and less, but of course series 8 was noticeably shorter than the previous seasons (even with the inclusion of a special 60 minute episode) - 20 episodes down from 22. One reason why the DVDs have less episodes on them this time around.
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jun 1 2005, 07:30 PM)
Yes well I doubt it will be the last but you never know.  Especially because of RDA's involvement is less and less, but of course series 8 was noticeably shorter than the previous seasons (even with the inclusion of a special 60 minute episode) - 20 episodes down from 22.  One reason why the DVDs have less episodes on them this time around.

I didn't realise the series was shorter, but at leat that explains the three instead of four episodes per DVD.

Personally I don't think they need RDA in the show for it to work, there are several episodes in season 7 and 8 that I have seen where he barely features and with more cast members joining the show hopefully it will go back to 22 episodes again!
Ingram
Many would argue that the show is based around RDA, or at least until he began to request a less involved role in the show. Since then they have tried many things in order to make the show work without the character of Colonel O'Neill by giving him a long overdue promotion to Brigadier General and putting him in charge of the SGC. However, even in series eight it has come back to his character, whether it be his relationship with Carter (Captain, Major, Lt. Colonel - whatever) etc.

Even the Jonas storylines were marred by the fact that O'Neill didn't accept him as a replacement for Daniel, and so on. In spite of this I think the show still works on the occasions when RDA doesn't feature as much or at all - I just think that removing him from the show altogether would be a mistake. If he ever left the show for good I honestly do not believe it would last much longer after that.
Raven
Look who is in episode of Stargate Atlantis . . .

The show really is becoming a refuge for actors and actresses who have had their shows cancelled!
Ingram
Ahh yes, she played the Gothic record shop owner in Dead Like Me... good episode. I wonder what she will be doing in Atlantis... hopefully a reprising role.
Raven
For those who may be interested season one of Stargate Atlantis starts next Friday (15th July) on Channel Five at 8.00pm - good to see it getting such a good time slot! (now if only they would do the same with Angel wink.gif).
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 8 2005, 09:59 PM)
For those who may be interested season one of Stargate Atlantis starts next Friday (15th July) on Channel Five at 8.00pm - good to see it getting such a good time slot! (now if only they would do the same with Angel wink.gif).

15th July is also the start of season nine of SG-1 and season two of Atlantis in the US. Downloaders start your engines wink.gif
Ingram
Both new episodes have aired and after watching them I can say that Atlantis has not dulled a bit with Part 3 of "The Siege" being just as gripping as the two previously - and with another cliffhanger ending. As for the new Stargate SG-1 there is a "To Be Continued" ending to the first episode of season nine and I renounce all the bad I said about Browder. "Avalon" was actually pretty damn good, although I am waiting with great anticipation for the second installment.
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jul 18 2005, 11:41 AM)
Both new episodes have aired and after watching them I can say that Atlantis has not dulled a bit with Part 3 of "The Siege" being just as gripping as the two previously - and with another cliffhanger ending.  As for the new Stargate SG-1 there is a "To Be Continued" ending to the first episode of season nine and I renounce all the bad I said about Browder.  "Avalon" was actually pretty damn good, although I am waiting with great anticipation for the second installment.

Was he playing John Crichton alike? huh.gif
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 18 2005, 01:01 PM)
Was he playing John Crichton alike?  huh.gif

I'm not a huge Farscape fan but Browders character seemed to be very much like a young RDA. He was quite funny and I loved the backstory that his character had been given - but only time will tell. Plus, just for you Raven, Claudia Black appears in the first episode with a crucial role that just might see he appearing in a few more episodes.
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jul 18 2005, 01:10 PM)
I'm not a huge Farscape fan but Browders character seemed to be very much like a young RDA.  He was quite funny and I loved the backstory that his character had been given - but only time will tell.  Plus, just for you Raven, Claudia Black appears in the first episode with a crucial role that just might see he appearing in a few more episodes.

She's in quite a bit of the first half of this series (so I've heard anyway).

Will probably have to wait for the DVD releases next year before I seem them.
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Jul 18 2005, 02:15 PM)
She's in quite a bit of the first half of this series (so I've heard anyway).

Will probably have to wait for the DVD releases next year before I seem them.

Season 8 isn't even out on DVD yet though - not in its complete form. There is one episode with Black in in that series, "Prometheus Unbound", but her role in season 9 will be considerably larger by the looks of it. I can't see those DVDs coming along any time soon though.
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jul 18 2005, 05:32 PM)
Season 8 isn't even out on DVD yet though - not in its complete form.  There is one episode with Black in in that series, "Prometheus Unbound", but her role in season 9 will be considerably larger by the looks of it.  I can't see those DVDs coming along any time soon though.

I've seen everything that's been released on DVD so far - the two-parter Reckoning was a bit of a mess!
Ingram
Yeah, still no word on either boxset though. The Atlantis one will definitely be top of my list.
Ingram
OK so a few episodes in on both the new seasons and things are actually looking pretty good. The first episode of Atlantis was bound to be a winner as it was continued on from the last series but it has followed up with a couple of really decent stories. Very different to the style of SG-1 especially the early ones but still keeps me gripped. As for SG-1 well... Browder and Black... I take it all back. The first episode was a little shakey trying to fill in alot of Browder's back story while trying to keep a fairly complex plot going at the same time. The first three episodes are a block and so the suspense if built up well with two "To Be Continued..." endings. The reason for the three-parter will become clear when any of the Stargate faithful here watch the episodes, needless to say after the defeat of the Goa'uld and the Replicators things aren't exactly peachy.

I'd like to say more so I will in spoilers:

The new enemy for SG-1 seems, as they have obviously planned, to be their worst ever. After a rather complicated three episodes we are led to understand that our conceptions about humanity and the Ancients as established in previous episodes is somewhat... incorrect. The new enemy has the religious element of the Goa'uld but are in fact a branch of ascended beings known as the Ori (pronounced Or-Eye). Basically they are like the Ancients only instead of refusing to meddle in the affairs of lower beings they act as Gods in another galaxy. However, the Ancients in our galaxy have been protecting humans from the Ori by shielding their presence - this of course all turns to buggery when Daniel (Shanks) and Vala (Black) travel to this galaxy by means of a technology once common to the Ancients and the Ori. This all seems very similar to the Wraith threat posed by Atlantis in the sense that while the Wraith did not know of Earth as a feeding ground, the Ori did not know there were so many humans to convert to their religion. Of course if these humans do not convert then they face a fiery death.

Well... that was fun.
Ingram
QUOTE (Ingram @ Jul 18 2005, 06:15 PM)
Yeah, still no word on either boxset though.  The Atlantis one will definitely be top of my list.

rolleyes.gif

Well I've waited patiently and the listings have finally come up on Play.com:

Stargate SG-1: Season 8 Box Set - 13th February 2006
Stargate Atlantis: Season 1 Box Set - 27th February 2006

Awesome stuff, Atlantis comes with a huge recommendation from me. A bit of a hefty price tag at the moment of course but if you aren't that big a fan then wait for the depreciation... it's normally dropped to around 30 after a good few months.
Raven
Seasons 1-7 of SG-1 are currently 23.97 each on Amazon - you'd be a mug to shell out more!
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Nov 23 2005, 10:46 PM)
Seasons 1-7 of SG-1 are currently 23.97 each on Amazon - you'd be a mug to shell out more!

Unless of course you bought some of them cheaper ages ago smile.gif
Omniscia
Or, past the movie, you just don't care. smile.gif
Ingram
mellow.gif
Raven
QUOTE (Omniscia @ Nov 24 2005, 07:22 AM)
Or, past the movie, you just don't care. smile.gif

tongue.gif
Raven
Has anyone else seen the opening episodes from the 9th series yet?

I watched the first three last week and although Ben Browder, Beau Bridges and Lexa Doig are all good additions to the cast, and the return of Claudia Black is welcomed, the new enemy - the Ori (sp?) - were rubbish! (and the special effects seem to have taken a dip in standards as well).

Bring back Anubis!

I did like the use of Glastonbury Tor though . . .
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 3 2006, 01:37 PM)
Has anyone else seen the opening episodes from the 9th series yet?

I watched the first three last week and although Ben Browder, Beau Bridges and Lexa Doig are all good additions to the cast, and the return of Claudia Black is welcomed, the new enemy - the Ori (sp?) - were rubbish! (and the special effects seem to have taken a dip in standards as well).

Bring back Anubis!

I did like the use of Glastonbury Tor though . . .

The opening episodes?! It's been over for a little while now, the finale aired several weeks ago on Sky One and earlier still in the US. It was a good series all in all with a little bit of a shakey premise where the new 'big bad' was concerned - but that irons itself out over time. I really liked it.
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Apr 3 2006, 12:52 PM)
The opening episodes?!  It's been over for a little while now, the finale aired several weeks ago on Sky One and earlier still in the US.  It was a good series all in all with a little bit of a shakey premise where the new 'big bad' was concerned - but that irons itself out over time.  I really liked it.

I know you've seen it! I was following on from your previous post and asking if anyone else has seen it yet (now that it's out on DVD etc!) tongue.gif
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 3 2006, 09:46 PM)
I know you've seen it!  I was following on from your previous post and asking if anyone else has seen it yet (now that it's out on DVD etc!)  tongue.gif

Fair enough, oh and to my knowledge the season nine DVD boxset won't be out until Jan/Feb 2007... but you are right about the individual DVDs.
Raven
I won't be buying any more of the individual disks from this series, I'll wait until they start knocking out the season nine box set at twenty quid on Amazon . . . wink.gif
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 3 2006, 10:22 PM)
I won't be buying any more of the individual disks from this series, I'll wait until they start knocking out the season nine box set at twenty quid on Amazon . . . wink.gif

Mid to late 2007 then I imagine. I must admit I do not begrudge paying full price for the boxsets as long as I get them when they have just come out - it's the individual DVDs that I just won't buy.
Raven
The end of SG-1?

Possibly, but if another broadcaster steps in it could get a reprieve.

Good news is that Atlantis has got the nod for a forth series.
bunnyoku
the ori are back to the original premise of aliens acting like gods only to the extent they could actually be considered gods by our 4-d definition. vastly superior to the gouald (sp?) anyone seen the episode where they take the piss out of farscape? is it any good?
DOD-MDK
QUOTE (bunnyoku @ Aug 23 2006, 11:51 AM)
the ori are back to the original premise of aliens acting like gods only to the extent they could actually be considered gods by our 4-d definition. vastly superior to the gouald (sp?) anyone seen the episode where they take the piss out of farscape? is it any good?

200? VERY FUNNY!!!!!!!!!
Drifter
As far as I can make out Sci Fi cancelled the show because they felt that it run its course, whilst renewing Atlantis' contract for another season, SG1 has bit the bullet and to be honest I think its about time really

My personal belief was that Sci Fi made a mistake when they originally cancelled Farscape in order to keep Stargate running. Keeping SG1 going will start to tell in the stories being rehashed, look at X Files, went on far too long, whilst it lasted it was an amazing show but without Mulder it floundered. I think Ben Browder is a great actor and does well as Mitchell in SG1 but he's no O'Neill, everytime I see him in SG1 Im thinking John Crichton and I cant help it.

I have read the 10th series episode synopsis, the Ori story is quite interesting, esp when you find out what happens to Daniel towards the end of the 10th season!!
Ingram
Series 10 has been disappointing, but I will watch this show until the bitter end. I think even the most stalwart fan will admit that the quality of the show has gone down ever since they began phasing out RDA or that it 'jumped the shark' when Daniel 'died' and was replaced by Jonas Quinn (or, perhaps when Daniel returned). Either way I have seen some merit in much of what has come since areas in which a lot of people lost faith and although I am not necessarily impressed with the tenth season I will continue to watch.

Atlantis still blows me away though.
Drifter
I agree, I stuck with them too, its come a long way since its beginnings, some shows rarely make the turnaround from film to TV series or vice versa but SG1 worked and worked well. It did start to lose some credibility when RDA left as much as I hate to say it he was the heart of the show for me - his onscreen presence and his little comedic routines with his character and that of Daniel's were sometimes priceless.

I didnt mind Daniel coming back from the dead, its sci-fi after all, everyone has come back from the dead at least once no matter which show its been so that wasnt much of a problem with me. It just felt as though it was dragging towards the last two or three seasons, I think it should end on a high and go out with a bang instead of continually to drag on and theres always the big screen outings thats always an option

Atlantis is a great show, whilst starting out as a spin off, some spin offs rarely work but I think Atlantis does because it doesnt rely too heavily on the original premise, its carved its own niche.

Im pissed that Firefly got the boot though, speaking of cancelled shows, it was a class science fiction show with humour and action going hand and hand, never took itself seriously and thats what I liked about it but then came SciFi with its size 10's....such a waste - my only hope lies with Battlestar Galactica and Atlantis now some of the big guns have faded away
Raven
I've just finished watching season three of Atlantis, which I thoroughly enjoy! (baring the end of Sunday).

Whilst I like the main characters in SG-1, I think the characters in Atlantis are much better - McKay being the obvious stand out star! (they also seem to make better use of the supporting characters as well).

Looking forward to seeing season four now!
Drifter
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 7 2007, 01:59 PM)
I've just finished watching season three of Atlantis, which I thoroughly enjoy! (baring the end of Sunday).

Whilst I like the main characters in SG-1, I think the characters in Atlantis are much better - McKay being the obvious stand out star! (they also seem to make better use of the supporting characters as well).

Looking forward to seeing season four now!

I hear Amanda Tapping will be joining Atlantis, honestly I dont think it needs her because Rodney for me was a better character and we're going to have to watch his infatuation with her all over again whilst his ego tries to outdo her at every corner!

And pfft to BSG, its got the chop, my fate lies with Heroes and Atlantis now
Raven
QUOTE (Drifter @ Jun 8 2007, 07:45 PM)
I hear Amanda Tapping will be joining Atlantis, honestly I dont think it needs her because Rodney for me was a better character and we're going to have to watch his infatuation with her all over again whilst his ego tries to outdo her at every corner!

I'm not sure about that either, and I'm sincerely hoping that it's not at the expense of Dr. Weir.

Also, Rodney/Carter scenes are usually pretty good, but every week and it could get old very quickly.
Drifter
QUOTE (Raven @ Jun 8 2007, 10:08 PM)
I'm not sure about that either, and I'm sincerely hoping that it's not at the expense of Dr. Weir. 

Also, Rodney/Carter scenes are usually pretty good, but every week and it could get old very quickly.

One off Rodney/Carter scenes are usually quite good but it could get repetitive pretty quick, I think Rodney could feel like his nose is put out of joint by having Carter there. The way I read it though she is a permenent fix at Atlantis which could mean we get a spillover from SG1 with other actors showing up every now and again or it could be turned into SG1 mark 2.

I think Atlantis for me had been the better of the two in the last 2 years that SG1 was on air, and I hated seeing SG1 fall into that X Files slot of blindly retreading everything that went before.
Ingram
I think the Atlantis writers have done a good turn with getting the nuances of Rodney's character just right and the occasional inclusion of a Sam Carter reference is always handled very well. However, I agree, they will get very tiresome every week.
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Apr 3 2006, 10:22 PM)

27.99 @ Play.com
37.48 @ Amazon.co.uk

Cheap enough for you yet? Might be an idea to keep an eye on the Amazon one just in case they decide to try and undercut Play again... but seeing as Play are doing an offer on all of them at the moment it's unlikely.
bigfatrich
Just watching series 9 now. Should be in work! OH well.
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Aug 24 2007, 10:56 AM)
27.99 @ Play.com
37.48 @ Amazon.co.uk

Cheap enough for you yet?  Might be an idea to keep an eye on the Amazon one just in case they decide to try and undercut Play again... but seeing as Play are doing an offer on all of them at the moment it's unlikely.

Cheers for that.

I was toying with the idea of buying Atlantis season 2 on Play, a couple of weeks ago, but that was before Amazon and Play started knocking out Deep Space Nine at eighteen quid a pop!

I'm not in any hurry to get SG-1 season nine at the mo, there far to many other things I'd rather get (seasons 2-7 of DS9, season 3 of Battlestar, Heroes, season 2 of Atlantis, various Doctor Who DVDs etc etc . . .).
Ingram
QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 24 2007, 11:49 AM)
season 2 of Atlantis

Good call. I'm ashamed to say I haven't actually invested in any Atlantis boxsets yet and have been making do with the .avi's on my harddrive, and I haven't gotten around to buying S9 of SG-1 either. I might have to do that with my birthday coming up and an offer on at Play.

Edit: 23.89 @ Sentit.com, along with cheaper Atlantis boxes too.
Drifter
QUOTE (Raven @ Aug 24 2007, 11:49 AM)
Cheers for that.

I was toying with the idea of buying Atlantis season 2 on Play, a couple of weeks ago, but that was before Amazon and Play started knocking out Deep Space Nine at eighteen quid a pop!

I'm not in any hurry to get SG-1 season nine at the mo, there far to many other things I'd rather get (seasons 2-7 of DS9, season 3 of Battlestar, Heroes, season 2 of Atlantis, various Doctor Who DVDs etc etc . . .).

Of course theres always DVD UK who are again cheaper than Play on alot of items like Season 9 of SG1, the boxset comes in at 23.85 with free delivery too!

I always check between them and Play for my DVD boxsets, so its worth a look..
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Aug 24 2007, 12:53 PM)
I'm ashamed to say I haven't actually invested in any Atlantis boxsets yet and have been making do with the .avi's on my harddrive, and I haven't gotten around to buying S9 of SG-1 either.  I might have to do that with my birthday coming up and an offer on at Play.

I've got season one, have seen season two on DVD (lent to me by a friend) and have watched season three through the net. It's not the best show ever made, but I would have to say it is one of the most enjoyable pieces of television I've ever watched, and that's largely down to the character of Rodney McKay.

I'll keep DVD UK in mind, thanks Drifter!
bigfatrich
QUOTE (Drifter @ Aug 24 2007, 11:54 AM)
Of course theres always DVD UK who are again cheaper than Play on alot of items like Season 9 of SG1, the boxset comes in at 23.85 with free delivery too!

I always check between them and Play for my DVD boxsets, so its worth a look..

Thanks for that link! Although, my credit card may not thank you.
Drifter
QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Aug 24 2007, 02:02 PM)
Thanks for that link! Although, my credit card may not thank you.

Plastic rarely talks happy.gif
Raven
From the TV DVD Thread:

QUOTE (bigfatrich @ Aug 24 2007, 09:38 AM)
I really, really like Stargate (I feel better for getting that off my chest). Although, I don't think 9 and 10 are meant to be that good. We'll see.

I still haven't seen most of season 9, but the first four episodes were pretty poor (that's part of the reason I'm not fussed about buying it).

Atlantis is much better!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.