Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn the Page
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Media
Pages: 1, 2, 3
madfish
finished this last night and its great! will try to review when the discussion thread is opened (i suck at reviwing things)
Lazlo Woodbine
Argh, i've still only managed 2 chapters sad.gif
I really better get reading.
fried_gold
there's still a couple of weeks left. how long will the comment thread be there? if its a long time discussion could go on for much longer giving you more time to read it :).
Lazlo Woodbine
Once i find a few hours i'm sure it won't take too long to catch up though. But i guess the discussion would last a little while, giving me more time if needed which might be useful.
Rob Wells
QUOTE (fried_gold @ Nov 8 2004, 11:10 PM)
got mine from the library today. brand new copy. shall start reading soon!

Oh yes you should. Reading has so many advantages. Har har de har.
fried_gold
i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
i think i'll just eat this satsuma
'eats'
Raven
The discussion thread will be opened on the 1st December and will then last as long as it lasts - it won't be closed or deleted.

I've just passed half way, haven't had much time for reading lately but I aim to finish the bulk of it this weekend smile.gif
Raven
Well that was the plan anyway - still got a few pages to go and I don't think I'll make the deadline but I'll give it a go!

One day to go on Vernon - the December book title will be posted on Wednesday smile.gif
Raven
There wasn't a huge response to the last book, Vernon God Little, and I'm not sure how many have read American Gods.

Are people still interested in this? huh.gif

I'm happy to keep posting suggestions once a month if people are smile.gif
vixta
oops, i didn't even see this. at the moment i'm working my way down the richey edwards reading list - luckily i already read half of them.

so i'm interested smile.gif
Mase
I'm intrested too i just seem to keep missing which book it is until it starts getting reviewed! rolleyes.gif
Mase
Started reading Lucky jim earlier, the first time i've read Amis, and got 80 pages into it without looking up. Great book can't wait to finish it.
Mase
Can i also make a suggestion of Luke Rhinehart - The dice man for a future book to have a chat about smile.gif
Raven
QUOTE (Mase @ Jan 16 2005, 08:43 PM)
Can i also make a suggestion of Luke Rhinehart - The dice man for a future book to have a chat about smile.gif

I'll add you to the list of people who want to make suggestions/take part etc and you can suggest that - or something else if you like - when you turn comes round smile.gif
Mase
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 16 2005, 11:07 PM)
I'll add you to the list of people who want to make suggestions/take part etc and you can suggest that - or something else if you like - when you turn comes round smile.gif

Fair enough i can't complain about that can i biggrin.gif
Raven
Would be a tad churlish wink.gif tongue.gif
Icepick
I'm very interested in this, but I'm just finishing off another book, so ill probably start in february
Raven
Cool!

I've had problems getting hold of a copy of Lucky Jim (toured the bookshops of Chichester on Saturday and couldn't find a copy). Will try to get hold of a copy as soon as possible but I doubt I'll have finished it by the end of the month sad.gif
Mase
QUOTE (Raven @ Jan 24 2005, 02:47 PM)
Cool!

I've had problems getting hold of a copy of Lucky Jim (toured the bookshops of Chichester on Saturday and couldn't find a copy).  Will try to get hold of a copy as soon as possible but I doubt I'll have finished it by the end of the month sad.gif

Got mine for 1P from amazon, got to love that price!!
Raven
I was thinking of trying something similar smile.gif
TheGimp
I'd like to suggest the 'Mars' trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson.
It's amazing. It's better than Shakespeare.
And, as with his other books, I now want to see Mars.
Raven
That might be a bit too much to read in one month (for most anyway!). I'll add you to the list should you wish to suggest something in turn however!

My copy of Lucky Jim is on it's way from Amazon - 95p (plus 2.75 postage unfortuneatly!). Still cheaper than buying it new though!
TheGimp
Aha.

Me no readie the first postie.

I was merely recommending the trilogy as a damn fine read.
Sorry.
Raven
No worries!
pOgO
Any one read a book called The Curious Incident Of the Dog In the Night-Time by Mark Haddon?
pots
QUOTE (pOgO @ Feb 2 2005, 12:19 AM)
Any one read a book called The Curious Incident Of the Dog In the Night-Time by Mark Haddon?

yeah, its good.

just reading a heartbreaking work of staggering genius which is living up to its title
Chapman Baxter

Yes, and I thought it was a very well-written and moving book. In fact, one of the best I've read for a long time.
Raven
I don't want to discourage anyone from talking about literature but as a general reminder this is a thread for anyone interested in reading the books that have been put forward, on a monthly basis, by other froum members smile.gif

Whether anyone actually reads or comments on them is another matter! tongue.gif
pOgO
QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 2 2005, 12:29 AM)
I don't want to discourage anyone from talking about literature but as a general reminder this is a thread for anyone interested in reading the books that have been put forward, on a monthly basis, by other froum members smile.gif

Whether anyone actually reads or comments on them is another matter! tongue.gif

Was going to reccomend it, just wanted to know how many people had read it first

..... smart arse tongue.gif
Mase
QUOTE (pOgO @ Feb 2 2005, 01:19 AM)

yes, i didn't think it was as good as everyone seems to make out though.
Icepick

we had it as a reading thing in english. It was so good I finished it in 2 nights, and sat there as we read through slowly in class tongue.gif

A1 TIP TOP
winger

yeah its a cool one... just a few chapters in good so far

BTW i'm new around here and want to join up... do you (as a group) just pick a book, read it, then discuss etc or what???
Julie
Are we still doing this? Because you can most certainly count me in! Im desperate for some good books lately. I have some sort of disease that makes it impossible for me to choose books on my own. I must have a recommendation from someone! And some intelligent conversation related to such would be just lovely. I'll see if I can get this one before the end of the month, if not, count me in for March! Cheers!
Raven
QUOTE (Julie @ Feb 28 2005, 02:25 AM)
Are we still doing this?

Yep, well in so far as I stubbornly post suggestions each month - whether people read the books and comment is up to them tongue.gif

A new book for next month will be posted tomorrow, I will add the two names above to the list shortly.

[EDIT]

Current List:

fatmanintweed: Vernon God Little
Rav: AWOL
madfish: American Gods
Chapman Baxter: Lucky Jim
Hieroglyphic Puppy: AWOL
sean_ofthedead: AWOL
fried_gold: The Miracle Strain
Raven: The Penultimate Truth
shiny gem: AWOL
Philz: Never Hit a Jellyfish with a Spade
The Phantom
pick-puff-pickle
Lee
winger
Julie
and
Ingram
Hobbes

AWOL: People who were PM'd but never replied . . .
winger
The penultimate truth, sounds interesting.. there are some cheap copies on amazon new & used....
Raven
QUOTE (winger @ Mar 1 2005, 05:43 PM)
The penultimate truth, sounds interesting.. there are some cheap copies on amazon new & used....

Yep, that's the page I linked to in my post tongue.gif
winger
QUOTE (Raven @ Mar 1 2005, 05:59 PM)
Yep, that's the page I linked to in my post tongue.gif

great minds think alike.... cool.gif
Julie
Brilliant. I'm looking forward to participating for March!
Mase
So what are we actually reading in march?
Raven
QUOTE (Mase @ Mar 3 2005, 12:36 AM)
So what are we actually reading in march?

The Penultimate Truth.

*sighs*
winger
ho ho, got a copy in the post this morning... will break through the first few chapers this weekend methinks... smile.gif
Ingram
I've PM'ed you Raven to let you know I am very up for this smile.gif
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Mar 6 2005, 07:55 PM)
I've PM'ed you Raven to let you know I am very up for this smile.gif

You've already been added to the list smile.gif
Ingram
Thanks, roll on September eh? tongue.gif
Ingram
A little *bump* for April 1st, I hope you all finished the book smile.gif
Ingram
QUOTE (Ingram @ Apr 1 2005, 11:41 AM)
A little *bump* for April 1st, I hope you all finished the book smile.gif

http://www.spaced-out.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=8648

Doesnt look that way wink.gif
Raven
QUOTE (Ingram @ Apr 4 2005, 07:29 PM)

Eh? huh.gif
Ingram
"I hope you all finished the book."

It doesn't look like anyone did (aside from me) ...
Hobbes
Would it be OK if I joined this group? I never finish books unless I have a defined date to have read them by...please??
Raven
QUOTE (Hobbes @ Apr 10 2005, 10:12 PM)
Would it be OK if I joined this group? I never finish books unless I have a defined date to have read them by...please??

No worries, I'll add you to the list shortly! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.