Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
dolfyn
^ Ooh! I wonder if he'll bring his show to the Melbourne International Comedy Festival next March/April, like he did a couple of years ago. I really hope so! smile.gif

I'm going to see Tripod's Christmas show next Thursday night, along with SarahAC (& her hubby), & Mishka & Mez. Yay!! biggrin.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
cool.gif
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Nov 27 2008, 01:42 PM) *
Excellent. I've heard only good things about this tour and I really liked his previous live shows. Shame I have to wait three months though.

I really want to see him this tour. Might do a little book.
Philz
Am currently suppose to be in Aberdeen Music Hall watching Russell Howard but have a friggin bug and had to stay at home while all my friends go for beers and giggles without me...the injustice!
Rua
Just caught a chum of mine doing stand-up, first time I've seen him & I have to say he was very good.
He also scared some of the audience. Which was nice.
dolfyn
I'll be watching Tripod's Christmas show in about 4 hours. Yay! biggrin.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
smile.gif
thirtyhelens
Did this last Thursday night. Great fun. Although, yes, Sarah really does need to get writing.

Line of the night, from Miss Chloe herself: I'm now going to leave you with an impression of my nine week old son getting drunk off my sweet, sweet titty milk.
Ade
Oooh, Lucy Porter is coming to Lynn in April. Think I mights book me a ticket...
dolfyn
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Nov 28 2008, 02:13 PM) *
I'm going to see Tripod's Christmas show next Thursday night, along with SarahAC (& her hubby), & Mishka & Mez. Yay!! biggrin.gif

The guys were hiliarious. biggrin.gif And very sweet in person....

(Click image to see full size.)

QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Nov 28 2008, 12:36 AM) *
Will be seeing Dylan Moran in February. I am suitably excited about this.

QUOTE (dolfyn @ Nov 28 2008, 02:13 PM) *
^ Ooh! I wonder if he'll bring his show to the Melbourne International Comedy Festival next March/April, like he did a couple of years ago. I really hope so! smile.gif

I have 7 tickets in my hot little hands for us Melbourne Spaced-Out Peggsters to see Dylan's show in April. Woo! cool.gif

Feel the love.
dolfyn.
happy.gif
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (dolfyn @ Dec 20 2008, 04:33 AM) *
The guys were hiliarious. biggrin.gif And very sweet in person....

(Click image to see full size.)

Jealous.
Ade
I'll be seeing Lucy Porter in April. I'm already getting excited.
Jessopjessopjessop
I saw Tim Minchin at the Roundhouse last night. It's been a while since I saw a comedian live whose work I didn't already know.

I'm not converted, although the gig had its moments. Overall, he is not as clever as he (or his fans) must think he is. To use lazy comparisons his lyrics are not as tight as Flight of The Conchords', and the rest of the act is not as strong as Bill Bailey's.

It was all taken a bit seriously, and the 'issues'-based comedy became tiresome. The irony was laid thick and none-too-subtle, the point of each song laboured too far. He's clearly a gifted musician, but there are far better comic musicians out there.
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 17 2009, 05:56 PM) *
I saw Tim Minchin at the Roundhouse last night. It's been a while since I saw a comedian live whose work I didn't already know.

I'm not converted, although the gig had its moments. Overall, he is not as clever as he (or his fans) must think he is. To use lazy comparisons his lyrics are not as tight as Flight of The Conchords', and the rest of the act is not as strong as Bill Bailey's.

It was all taken a bit seriously, and the 'issues'-based comedy became tiresome. The irony was laid thick and none-too-subtle, the point of each song laboured too far. He's clearly a gifted musician, but there are far better comic musicians out there.

Pipe down, Adam. He's a genius.

wink.gif
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Jan 18 2009, 04:54 PM) *
Pipe down, Adam. He's a genius.

wink.gif

You just fancy him, as did the Boosh-level freaks sitting in front of the stage laughing before each joke wink.gif

He's so deep AND wears eye make-up... he's clearly the perfect man!
empathy-with-beast
And he's only ever had sex with his wife....I'm nineteen and think that's hot for some unexplainable probably self hating reason.... (Not you SP.)
Zoe
I could do without seeing him perform that song about his inflatable girlfriend ever again.
Atara
I quite enjoyed Tim Minchins act when I seen him a couple of years ago at the Fringe, he wasonly on for twenty minutes though. I do like him but I wouldn't make any effort to go and see him in his own show, unless it was local, and cheap.

I would, however, make effort to go see Eddie Izzard, and although the tickets are a ludicrous 30 a head, I have just bought some for Chris and I for in November. Izzard is a comedian I'd love to see, though, and he is rarely here anymore. His latest efforts have not been as strong as his older stuff, like Dress to Kill, but I just enjoy his whole act and am sure it will be a good night.
sleeping_pirate
I've seen Tim Minchin twice and have loved both shows. However the level of fan-girl freakiness he attracts is just insane. The first gig I went to was in Brisbane and I was sat in the front row next to a girl dressed as a fairy. Tim pointed her out and said she flies across Australia to see him all the time (and that is nowhere near as cheap as British internal flights), and that she has actually been on the same flight as him several times. Scary.
Rebus
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Jan 18 2009, 03:56 AM) *

Yes, and yes.
melzilla
QUOTE (Atara @ Jan 31 2009, 11:39 AM) *
I would, however, make effort to go see Eddie Izzard, and although the tickets are a ludicrous 30 a head, I have just bought some for Chris and I for in November. Izzard is a comedian I'd love to see, though, and he is rarely here anymore. His latest efforts have not been as strong as his older stuff, like Dress to Kill, but I just enjoy his whole act and am sure it will be a good night.

Same here, Hayleigh. Tickets bought today and I'm really looking forward to it already.
Atara
My payment got refused so i had to call up, it was then accepted but I have no confirmation...this worries me a little.
melzilla
QUOTE (Atara @ Jan 31 2009, 07:00 PM) *
My payment got refused so i had to call up, it was then accepted but I have no confirmation...this worries me a little.

Hmm. Odd. I'd be a bit worried too, did they tell you when the tickets would be sent out?

I got E-tickets but I'd rather have real ones.
Atara
A month before the event the guy said. I have a reference so I will call up on Monday and double check.
Outatime
Just booked to see Chris Addison for my Mum's birthday. Would love to see Eddie Izzard again but I'm not going to a stadium gig, hopefully he'll add some more dates.
Outatime
Tim Minchin is touring the UK again if anyone's interested. I've just booked my tickets for Cambridge.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Booked my tickets for Eddie Izzard in November. Nice of them to add that extra date.

I think I've reached the upper limit of how much I will pay for a stand-up gig. Just because it's Eddie.
Outatime
He only seems to be playing massive venues which is a shame as I think comedy works best in smaller venues.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
I'm seeing him in the Cardiff International Arena, which sounds huge but is actually relatively small. I've seen Bottom Live and The Mighty Boosh there and it's quite a nice venue for quirky comedy. I'd agree that his comedy doesn't really seem like the kind that works as well in big arenas.
Outatime
I'm just bitter because I don't want to go to London to see him wink.gif
Jessopjessopjessop
Seeing Andrew Maxwell on Friday, woot!
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Feb 18 2009, 06:53 PM) *
Seeing Andrew Maxwell on Friday, woot!

Well, it was a good gig. Sweary, political, crude, clever - I think he's one of the best comedians I've seen in recent years.
Outatime
I've just bought tickets for Dave Gorman's new tour, I really need to stop buying tickets for things.
Shack
Richard Herring - March 24th - The Headmaster's Son tour in Leeds.

Am excited.
Jimmay
I was going to see Jason Manford at the Warwick Arts Centre in a couple of weeks but it has been postponed...until November...when I have a wedding to go to...bugger.
sleeping_pirate
I'm going to see Ross Noble next Friday, can't wait!
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ Feb 27 2009, 06:23 PM) *
I'm going to see Ross Noble next Friday, can't wait!

Why I oughtta!
Zoe
If you're in and around London town I recommend Colin Hoult's Carnival of Monsters, starring my fragrant flatmate, tomorrow and the 12th at the Etcetera.

And exciting times with The Trap's comeback Special on the 9th at the Hen and Chickens.
maian
I'll be seeing Herrin (sans Collings) on March 23rd. I last saw him live three years ago and it was one of the best stand-up gigs I've ever been to, so I am quite excited about seeing him again.
Zoe
I went to see an early preview of Bridget Christie in My Daily Mail Hell last night, which was funny and fascinating. It's a collection of stories and reminiscences from her time in that unusal environment, including being given a mug by millionnaire artist Jack Vettriano and being dubbed 'Bridget the Narcissist' by Peter Stringfellow. Bridget's just a brilliant comedian, her stage persona is wickedly smart but appeallingly guileless.

I also learnt that Stewart Lee's new TV show starts next week and that he and Bridget are going to be on holiday for its entire run.

Lucky them.
Zoe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 4 2009, 09:36 PM) *
Colin Hoult's Carnival of Monsters

Absolutely ruddy bloody brilliant. Colin is a genius.
Jessopjessopjessop
Is it comedy? Is it music? Is it video? Yes!

We saw Adam Buxton present BUG 12 last night at the BFI. Subtitled 'The Evolution of Music Video', it was an interesting and entertaining night of screenings of global music videos and silly things found on YouTube. Listened to some great new tunes which I promptly bought this morning, and was inspired by some amazingly creative and diverse films. Garth Jennings was a special guest, and we saw some great stuff from his surprisingly extensive and brilliant CV as one half of Hammer & Tongs.

Some of the funniest material was from the YouTube comments sections, including the instant classic reply: Get some feelings fucktard!.
melzilla
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 20 2009, 02:38 PM) *

We saw Adam Buxton present BUG 12 last night at the BFI. Subtitled 'The Evolution of Music Video', it was an interesting and entertaining night of screenings of global music videos and silly things found on YouTube. Listened to some great new tunes which I promptly bought this morning, and was inspired by some amazingly creative and diverse films. Garth Jennings was a special guest, and we saw some great stuff from his surprisingly extensive and brilliant CV as one half of Hammer & Tongs.

Some of the funniest material was from the YouTube comments sections, including the instant classic reply: Get some feelings fucktard!.

I'm rather jealous.
Zoe
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 4 2009, 09:36 PM) *
And exciting times with The Trap's comeback Special on the 9th at the Hen and Chickens.

The second show (tonight) was fantastic.

Living in London is great for being spoilt with great, cheap comedy in intimate venues.

Something I hope to introduce at work very soon.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Mar 20 2009, 02:38 PM) *

Been a few times and it is a great evening. You could argue that many of the videos are available to watch online, but they wouldn't ordinarily be brought to my attention otherwise, it's a great way to discover new talent, from both music and visual standpoints, and you get to see them on a big screen with special guests. And Adam's a hoot. So, highly recommended then, but you really do need to book in advance - it sells out quite quickly.
maian
Richard Herring - The Headmaster's Son

A wonderful evening of wanking off paedophiles, tiny hand phobias, Anne Frank being a ''lucky whore'', his childhood being worse than Elizabeth Fritzl's, Jade Goody being ''like a candle in the wind. A racist, blow-job giving candle in the wind'' and general musings on childhood and neuroses. Ostensibly a loose narrative formed around Richard's attempts to decode his life and the direction it has taken by examining how his father being the headmaster at his school, it's absolutely hilarious but also quite touching, particularly when he talks about past loves.

Still probably the best stand-up I've ever seen live.
whitey
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 23 2009, 11:15 PM) *

A wonderful evening of wanking off paedophiles, tiny hand phobias, Anne Frank being a ''lucky whore'', his childhood being worse than Elizabeth Fritzl's, Jade Goody being ''like a candle in the wind. A racist, blow-job giving candle in the wind'' and general musings on childhood and neuroses. Ostensibly a loose narrative formed around Richard's attempts to decode his life and the direction it has taken by examining how his father being the headmaster at his school, it's absolutely hilarious but also quite touching, particularly when he talks about past loves.

I saw this myself on Sunday night. A fine show indeed.
Shack
QUOTE (whitey @ Mar 24 2009, 03:22 AM) *
I saw this myself on Sunday night. A fine show indeed.

And I've just seen it tonight. FUll of giggles and a fine fine show.

Afterwards I asked him what his favourite episode of Goodnight Sweetheart was.

He said the one with the curry.

I will have to watch it again.
blackcherry
QUOTE (Zoe @ Mar 22 2009, 10:18 PM) *
Living in London is great for being spoilt with great, cheap comedy in intimate venues.

It does seem to be a big advantage of living in London. The nearest place for me to see some good comedy would be Manchester but that means having to get the train home late at night which is a bit frightening. This is really the main reason that I would like to drive!

I'd really like to see We Are Klang and Greg Davies' standup show but they are only performing in London at the moment sad.gif

I can't wait to go to Edinburgh this summer to see loads of comedy!
PrincessKate
QUOTE (blackcherry @ Mar 25 2009, 09:06 AM) *
It does seem to be a big advantage of living in London. The nearest place for me to see some good comedy would be Manchester but that means having to get the train home late at night which is a bit frightening. This is really the main reason that I would like to drive!

And even Manchester has it's peaks and troughs gig-wise.
blackcherry
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Mar 25 2009, 09:09 AM) *
And even Manchester has it's peaks and troughs gig-wise.

Yeah, it's very hit and miss. The Comedy Store is alright for more well known comedians but every time I go there I end up with a cold. It's full of germs that place, if anyone is planning on going they should dose up on vitamin C beforehand! They have some decent improv stuff from the Comedy Sportz team though. I'm hoping to do some work with them soon.
Ade
QUOTE (maian @ Mar 23 2009, 11:15 PM) *

I might see if I can bag a ticket for this Saturday if it hasn't already sold out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.