Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Zoe
Crappy Guardian article implying Richard Herring is a racist here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/jul/2...p-new-offenders

What better time to see a preview of Hitler Moustache? And in the home of the Guardian no less!

http://www.kingsplace.co.uk/spoken-word/wh...oom-and-richard
NiteFall
Richard Herring's response to that Guardian piece-

http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup/wa...gup.php?id=2460
Zoe
I also recommend Michael Legge's less reasoned response here

http://www.facebook.com/michael.legge#/not...0321&ref=mf

Everyone should really see the show for themselves... at Kings Place (home of the Guardian) tonight!
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jul 28 2009, 01:14 PM) *
Crappy Guardian article implying Richard Herring is a racist

Yeah - really lazy spiteful ill-informed pointless journalism there. RH frequents my pal's website and said one of two things. He seems to have a lot of support though. This is good.

Puzzingly - an article by the same journalist.
Rua
Tickets to see Doug Stanhope in Dublin on the 1st October. Yes, yes, yes.
Zoe
OK, between Sunday and Saturday next week I plan to see (in order)

Jon Richardson
Nick Mohammed
Tom Basden
Tom Bell
Lucy Porter
Marcel Lucont
Iona Dudley-Ward
Laura Solon
Anna and Katy
Tim Key
Daniel Kitson
Mick Sergeant
New Art Club
Sarah Millican
Russell Kane
David O’Doherty
Richard Sandling
Pappy’s Fun Club
Richard Herring
Jonathan Mayor
Ed Gamble
Colin Hoult
Paker/Richards
Janey Godley
Simon Amstell

Avalon are also taking me out for lunch, suh-weet.
tigerlily
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 4 2009, 02:01 PM) *
OK, between Sunday and Saturday next week I plan to see (in order)

Jon Richardson

Saw Jon Richardson last night and he was tres good, but he's in the Pleasance Upstairs which is a bloody sauna of a venue. I thoroughly advise water, a fan and your least sweat inducing clothes.
Zoe
Pick of the fringe is surely michael j dolan, that boy is one to watch.

I also saw pappy's and Richard herring yesterday, as well as three other shows, and Finn out of hollyoaks trying his hand at stand up.

I got given a tom from pappy's badge, Kate would you like me to post it to you?
Shack
Have tickets for Richard Herring, Jason Cook and Tigerlilies at the moment.

Am excited.
tigerlily
Edinburgh wise I heartily recomment Frisky and Mannish's School of Pop. Saw them on Wednesday and they were aces. I said as much here

Saw Luke Toulson struggle a hell of a lot last night. He had a typical Thursday night audience though, I thought he was alright. Later on was Kitson. He was mainly excellent but probably went on for a half hour too long.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 14 2009, 01:01 PM) *
Pick of the fringe is surely michael j dolan, that boy is one to watch.

Whitey did brill.

Herring was awesome as usual.
Shack
Richard Herring - very funny new show. Lots of good points mixed with good jokes.
Everlong
Was Marcus Brigstocke good at Edinburgh? I saw him at the and of last month at Fat Tuesdays doing an Edinburgh preview and he was really good, doing a religion-based routine.

Just asking because someone I know mentioned this week that he was boring there, which was weird.
tigerlily
I had a friend go see him who seemed to like him. I only ever saw him on a bike so can only comment on his transport choices.

I think this year was the year I began to properly love Glenn Wool as he has been my most viewed person over the last 3 weeks. Unfortunately it would appear that's it for him and Edinburgh for a while. Sad faced Di sad.gif
melzilla
I went to see Tim Minchin this week. He was good. I'd say 7.5/10. I didn't completely agree with his choices of older material that he played and I would have liked it to have been a bit longer but, all in all, it made me chuckle and it was a fun night out in Manchester with 9 of my chums!
PrincessKate
Manchester Comedy Festival listings have arrived, here at long last.
No PFC and ticket prices are up, but I will definitely make more than two gigs this year.
Ade
Going to see Dave Pedal-Power Gorman tonight.
Bloomeeney
QUOTE (melzilla @ Sep 7 2009, 08:13 PM) *
I went to see Tim Minchin this week. He was good. I'd say 7.5/10. I didn't completely agree with his choices of older material that he played and I would have liked it to have been a bit longer but, all in all, it made me chuckle and it was a fun night out in Manchester with 9 of my chums!

I'm off to see him on 26th in Brum. Looking forward to it, very much enjoyed it when I saw him last year.
melzilla
I just got tickets for Bill Bailey's Remarkable Guide To The Orchestra at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester on Nov 16th.
So excited. Along with Eddie Izzard and Ricky Gervais it's going to be a very funny couple of months!
PrincessKate
QUOTE (melzilla @ Sep 19 2009, 02:11 PM) *
I just got tickets for Bill Bailey's Remarkable Guide To The Orchestra at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester on Nov 16th.
So excited. Along with Eddie Izzard and Ricky Gervais it's going to be a very funny couple of months!

This does rather make me want to moot a Manc Comedy Fest meet.
And reminds me I need to book my tickets, still.
melzilla
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Sep 19 2009, 02:13 PM) *
This does rather make me want to moot a Manc Comedy Fest meet.
And reminds me I need to book my tickets, still.

That would be brill. It is quite pricey, but I reckon it'll be worth it. I'm getting my friend her ticket for her birthday. We've seen Bill together three times before so it would be wrong not to!
PrincessKate
QUOTE (melzilla @ Sep 19 2009, 02:26 PM) *
That would be brill. It is quite pricey, but I reckon it'll be worth it. I'm getting my friend her ticket for her birthday. We've seen Bill together three times before so it would be wrong not to!

It's a good tradition to uphold!
I will be seeing Burns & Herring as usual, can't book tickets til the others confirm though.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Sep 19 2009, 10:52 PM) *
I will be seeing Burns & Herring as usual, can't book tickets til the others confirm though.

No, I won't.
We agreed today - Vix will be booking Phil Nichol at some juncture, and I have just ordered tickets for Robin Ince, Jason Cook + Asylum and Michael J Dolan/Patrick Monahan (I think) at Tiger Lounge.
Whoop.
Ade
I'm going to see Rich Hall/Otis Lee Crenshaw next month. Yes.
Outatime
QUOTE (Ade @ Oct 1 2009, 10:43 PM) *
I'm going to see Rich Hall/Otis Lee Crenshaw next month. Yes.

Is he touring or is it a comedy festival?
Ade
QUOTE (Outatime @ Oct 2 2009, 08:55 AM) *
Is he touring or is it a comedy festival?

Touring indeed, yes.
Outatime
Boo he's not doing Cambridge sad.gif
Ade
QUOTE (Outatime @ Oct 2 2009, 02:31 PM) *
Boo he's not doing Cambridge sad.gif

Well, if you can't get to any of the other gigs, you can always console yourself at the end of November with the live DVD
Outatime
Hurrah, I hope there's a CD too.
Zoe
Off with their Heads!
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 15 2009, 09:43 AM) *

Brilliant line-up, Zoz. Well done!
Ade
Good work indeed Zoe!
Kick in the Head
Shame I'm going to have to miss the launch night, being in South Africa and all. But I'll be back!
Zoe
Congratulations, by the way!
Chapman Baxter
Looks great, Zoe. I'm very tempted to book for the opening night.
Downsy
Sounds great! Really good line up there, I'll have to see if I can get some time off work smile.gif
Sostie
I'll admit there are names there I don't know, but the one's I do are enticing. Well done Zoe.

Who came up with the name?
Kick in the Head
Guilty as charged.

Any recommendations for the nights from December 17th onwards? I don't think I've actually seen any of the line-up perform live so wouldn't know who's hot to trot.
Jimmay
Tis a pity I don't live in London town as there are some great names there.

I wonder if Ray Peacock actually has a Ray Peacock.
Zoe
Everybody should come! They're all amazing nights.

Both secret special guests are also excellent.

Why don't we have a comedy meet?!

Yes, yes. Come support my venue. £12.50 online, £14.50 on the door. Or if you book sharpish there are a limited number of tickets for each night at £9.50.

It'll be a good two hours of comedy in the NICEST venue in London.

*Plug*
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 15 2009, 09:43 AM) *

Splendid line-up, girl - I'd pay good money to see most of 'em.

Two gigs tonight, slightly by accidentally (Ticketweb's site is balls, no clear indication of what you get when you book at a venue - for example, next week I'm seeing Jason Cook's Fear + Late night Asylum which is free with Jason's gig, but the website only had tickets listed as 'Fear' or 'Asylum - Free if booked with Fear' which made no fucking sense. Anyway) and ended up seeing Mr MJ Dolan supported by Mr P Monahan, or was it the other way round? Anyways, first act much better than second (I think it's more Patrick Monahan's voice than anything, couldn't have put up with it for much longer then the hour set) and all in all, worth the fiver we paid.

Robin Ince on Saturday.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Oct 16 2009, 12:47 AM) *
Mr MJ Dolan

Hooray for forum support!
PrincessKate
I could go on, but didn't want to gush.
Outatime
Armstrong and Miller tickets booked! Ok it's not until next November but still.
Everlong
Those line ups are good, definitely like the look of a couple, particularly launch night and the Lucy Porter one is just after Payday too.

EDIT: The "Off with their heads" line ups I mean.
whitey
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Oct 16 2009, 09:57 AM) *
I could go on, but didn't want to gush.

I demand that you do.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (whitey @ Oct 17 2009, 04:14 PM) *
I demand that you do.

You really don't.
ETA:
Mainly because I don't want to sound retarded.
It probably helped your cause that Monahan was a bit of a cock beforehand and had an annoying voice, though.
maian
Unexpectedly wound up seeing Simon Amstell tonight performing his 'Do Nothing' show at Sheffield City Hall. I've never seen his stand-up before and I was very impressed. An intelligent discussion of loneliness and existentialism it was engaging and hilarious throughout. The only problem was that there was a certain amount of disconnect between how I perceived the gig and how he seemed to. As far as I was aware it was going fine, but he interrupted himself quite often to comment on the audience and seemed to be put off his flow by it, making the gig seem so odd to him that he felt the need to come on stage after finishing to try to clarify the state of affairs with the audience.
PrincessKate
Gig the third of the fest - Robin Ince Vs The Moral Majority.
Fuck me That was a poorly-organised event. Bar XS may be excellent most of the time, but Saturday night was a pig's ear. Luckily he was definitely worth the two and a half hours on my feet. The eighty minutes rambled a little at times - no bad thing except it seemed to annoy him more than anything else. And to be heckled in the first sentence was incredibly unfair - though he handled it very well, and hilariously.
I've never been to a gig at which so many people were so indifferent to the act on stage, though. It was weird.
And as mentioned elsewhere, I ended up stood next to my work crush and his girlfriend. We touched, it was brilliant yadda yadda.
Zoe
I went to Thom Tuck's new comedy night tom:foolery at the Escape on Brewer Street (gayest bar I have ever been to).

It featured all acts named Tom (Parry, Allen, Wateracre, Rosenthal, Webb and Meeten) with Thom as Thompere. There was also Tom Trumps and a Tombola (the prize was Gin).

Next one is the 18th of Nov and then the 16th of Dec, a whole new line-up of 6 new Toms is guaranteed on both nights.

I recommend as a lovely silly way to spend a Wednesday and enjoyed the short sets from a variety of acts (Toms). Allen was the best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.