Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Jessopjessopjessop
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 18 2009, 11:58 PM) *
Unexpectedly wound up seeing Simon Amstell tonight performing his 'Do Nothing' show at Sheffield City Hall. I've never seen his stand-up before and I was very impressed. An intelligent discussion of loneliness and existentialism it was engaging and hilarious throughout. The only problem was that there was a certain amount of disconnect between how I perceived the gig and how he seemed to. As far as I was aware it was going fine, but he interrupted himself quite often to comment on the audience and seemed to be put off his flow by it, making the gig seem so odd to him that he felt the need to come on stage after finishing to try to clarify the state of affairs with the audience.

What was it he thought was happening (or not)? One of the worst things a comedian can do to spoil the atmosphere is to comment on it. It's like someone telling you to 'cheer up' when there's nothing wrong.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 22 2009, 01:39 PM) *
I went to Thom Tuck's new comedy night tom:foolery at the Escape on Brewer Street (gayest bar I have ever been to).

It featured all acts named Tom (Parry, Allen, Wateracre, Rosenthal, Webb and Meeten) with Thom as Thompere. There was also Tom Trumps and a Tombola (the prize was Gin).

Next one is the 18th of Nov and then the 16th of Dec, a whole new line-up of 6 new Toms is guaranteed on both nights.

I recommend as a lovely silly way to spend a Wednesday and enjoyed the short sets from a variety of acts (Toms). Allen was the best.

Sounds brilliant and crikey - are there really that many Toms in comedy?

My name would be shite for that kind of thing. You'd get a battleaxe, the chick from the One Show and a car that kills people.
Zoe
They will have 18 Tom Trumps by the time they've finished

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...dy-1803892.html
PrincessKate
Jealous. Still.

I have more gigs under my belt, seven comedians last night, another tonight, not had much sleep, tired.
The good: Jason Cook (in-fucking-credible, please go see him); Joe Lycett (if only for his succinct dissection of the northern quarter, and his impression of the E4 voiceover man); The Boy With Tape on His Face (even if he did make me want to vom a bit); Phil Nichol and his two piece band.
The indifferent: Sam something, Geordie kid at the end and Barry Skillet. Fair to middling with some good lines.
The bad: Eddie Hoo: bombed.
The ugly: Half the audiences who didn't seem to give a shit. Boo.
maian
QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ Oct 22 2009, 02:45 PM) *
What was it he thought was happening (or not)? One of the worst things a comedian can do to spoil the atmosphere is to comment on it. It's like someone telling you to 'cheer up' when there's nothing wrong.

There were a bunch of minor interruptions throughout the gig that didn't, to me, seem to be too much of a problem, certainly nothing malicious, but they put him off his rhythm a few times and he wound up dropping two routines halfway through because he couldn't get back into them easily. As I said, there didn't seem to be any ill will towards him, but you had stuff like someone heckling him by saying "eat something!" when he first walked on, which he tried to make a joke about by involving the heckler but they kept quiet so he was left hanging, which must have felt awkward to him so early on.

It was the times he interrupted himself that seemed to caus the most trouble for him, though. There was a guy in the front row who didn't laugh, so he kept commenting on him when he was in the middle of a routine, which would then throw him off his game a bit, and someone else got up to go to the toilet so he turned on him and started berating him. It was always funny since he could always get it back - one of the funniest lines of the night was his response to the guy walking out to go to the toiltet ("Whenever that happens it's like my father all over again. He wee-ed a lot, too") - but it was clear that interruption, even one he instigated, were causing him some discomfort.
Ade
QUOTE (maian @ Oct 22 2009, 11:50 PM) *
someone heckling him by saying "eat something!" when he first walked on, which he tried to make a joke about by involving the heckler but they kept quiet so he was left hanging, which must have felt awkward to him so early on.

Maybe a simple "You eat something; I understand this establishment does a fantastic menu. I particularly recommend a plate of shut the hell up", might have sufficed.

Ah, what do I know. I really wouldn't know how to deal with a heckler. I'd probably turn into a Stuttering Stanley. Either that or my comebacks would be very fuck-off-y.
Jimmay
Stewart Lee tonight. It's my first comedy night in ages so I'm really looking forward to it.
Rua
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 23 2009, 10:02 AM) *
Stewart Lee tonight. It's my first comedy night in ages so I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm going on Tuesday. Enjoy.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 23 2009, 10:56 AM) *
I'm going on Tuesday. Enjoy.

I'm sure I will. I've never seen him live so I'm rather excited.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 23 2009, 10:10 AM) *
I'm sure I will. I've never seen him live so I'm rather excited.

He was very good. Had a great time and laughed like an idiot. Also found out that he grew up 5 minutes from where I did and that his mum taught at the college at the back of my school. Small world. There has been a massive uproar about his Richard Hammond material in the local papers which I find quite hilarious, especially as it did make sense within the context of the show.
Zoe
The Pleasance website exploded this morning, so I don't think I got Russell Brand tickets - though I did enter my card details (twice) so you never know

I will definitely be attending my favourite podcast live at Kings Place on the 19th of Dec

http://www.kingsplace.co.uk/spoken-word/co...dcast-live-2009

You can find the podcasts here: http://www.chortle.co.uk/about/2009/06/08/9034/
Outatime
Adam Hills last night - wonderful as always, cheered me up after a long day at work. I got a t-shirt and a photo too. I could have had some cake (he sent someone out to get some as it was an audience member's birthday) but I didn't want to get my t-shirt dirty.
Rua
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 26 2009, 11:35 AM) *
He was very good. Had a great time and laughed like an idiot. Also found out that he grew up 5 minutes from where I did and that his mum taught at the college at the back of my school. Small world. There has been a massive uproar about his Richard Hammond material in the local papers which I find quite hilarious, especially as it did make sense within the context of the show.

I look forward to him tonight.
Sean of the Dead
QUOTE (Zoe @ Oct 26 2009, 01:01 PM) *
The Pleasance website exploded this morning, so I don't think I got Russell Brand tickets - though I did enter my card details (twice) so you never know

I will definitely be attending my favourite podcast live at Kings Place on the 19th of Dec

http://www.kingsplace.co.uk/spoken-word/co...dcast-live-2009

You can find the podcasts here: http://www.chortle.co.uk/about/2009/06/08/9034/

Will Fraser make an appearance? It must be difficult because he is very unwell and not real, but it would be nice if he did.
Zoe
Ha ha! A fellow fan.

I hope Fraser will be there, even though he now has no eyes and no legs the guide Monkey should help.

Well, I met with the boys last week (the meeting Ray was late for because of the man in the toilet - not the lady pooing a baby in the toilet on the train) and they have exciting, unformed ideas and plans and I'm properly excited about it. Should be a brilliant Christmas treat!
Jimmay
QUOTE (Rua @ Oct 27 2009, 10:30 AM) *
I look forward to him tonight.

So what did you think?
Zoe

Come one! Come all! There's still some £9.50 tickets left

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=off+with...4282&ref=mf
Sostie
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 3 2009, 10:52 AM) *

Bloody postal strike. Still no ticket.
Zoe
Boo! Don't worry, I can always sort you out reprints if it doesn't turn up.
Sostie
Nice, thanks Zoe.
Rua
QUOTE (Jimmay @ Oct 28 2009, 11:30 AM) *
So what did you think?

I'll give it to you straight...

Very good. Not his strongest material in parts (although still really good), but his delivery is just unbelievable at times. He can stretch out a throwaway joke for 20 minutes while succesfully expanding on it, great stuff. Really enjoyed it.

Would love to Zoe but y'know, the sea in the way & all. Hope it all goes Tip-Top.
Ade

That poster is ace.
Zoe
QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 3 2009, 01:59 PM) *
That poster is ace.

Here's the back of the flyer

The logo is Adam's excellent work, the name is Rory's - it's a Spaced-out affair.
Shack
QUOTE (Zoe @ Nov 3 2009, 03:33 PM) *
The logo is Adam's excellent work, the name is Rory's - it's a Spaced-out affair.

As Nev Bear would says, it's tiptopperoo!
Jessopjessopjessop

Thank yous. The rest of the flyer is not what I was expecting at all. It's good - and fun - just different! Strangely I had a variation on the logo that was in a 'period' style...
Kick in the Head
Bravo one and all. Boo that I'll be missing it, but I'll definitely be at one of them once I'm back in the country (not that I've left just yet).
Zoe
I'd love it if anyone wants to add us on

Myspace

or let us know they're attending on facebook

Why not become a fan of Kings Place too?

*plug*

"Kings Place is an amazing venue - even the dressing rooms are great " – Richard Herring
Ade

Excellent indeed. I was particularly admiring the logo - subtle and absolutely spot on.
PrincessKate
*shakes fist at London*
Chapman Baxter
Trip report for last night's Off with their Heads! debut.

The acts were all very funny, especially the secret special guest, who turned out to be Lee Mack. The crowd was good, and the venue fantastic. It was a great night out, and I recommend it to one and all.
Sostie
QUOTE (Chapman Baxter @ Nov 13 2009, 10:03 AM) *
Trip report for last night's Off with their Heads! debut.

The acts were all very funny, especially the secret special guest, who turned out to be Lee Mack. The crowd was good, and the venue fantastic. It was a great night out, and I recommend it to one and all.

Agreed. A great show all round. Lee Mack is frankly in a class of his own. From start to finish hilarious.

Of course the real star was our Zoe for setting the whole thing up. Well done you.
Rua
QUOTE (PrincessKate @ Nov 5 2009, 05:31 PM) *
*shakes fist at London*

Endlessly so. *sigh*
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Rua @ Nov 13 2009, 12:59 PM) *
Endlessly so. *sigh*

Harrumph.

Fergus Craig did a 10 minute set at the Frog last night, and I missed it.

However, I missed it because of The Jonathan Coulton gig, whose support act were Paul and Storm.
I think I laughed solidly for an hour, especially at the Nun Fight
melzilla
Went to see Eddie Izzard this week on his 'Stripped' tour at the MEN Arena. Although I'm not generally a fan of seeing comedy in huge arenas, he really was just as fantastic as ever and, for the vast majority of the show, I almost forgot there were another 15,000 people in the room. He did some lovely little references to past material, without ever being repetitive or indulgent, and he came out with some belting new stuff which will soon be as classic as the old, I imagine. So good to finally get to see one of my favourite comedians of all time and even better to be not at all disappointed. Recommended.
Ade
Rich Hall/Otis Lee Crenshaw last Friday was excellent. I shook his hand afterwards and told him so. I'm such a fanboy.
Sostie
Last night saw my friend's show "Guy & Rik's Drop In Clinic" at the Leicester Square theartre. A very frantic two-man show with about 15 characters and some nice ideas. Not bad for a debut show.
Outatime
QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 13 2009, 11:59 PM) *
Rich Hall/Otis Lee Crenshaw last Friday was excellent. I shook his hand afterwards and told him so. I'm such a fanboy.

Does he still have the Black Liars as backing?
Rua
Watched the wonderful Lorcan McGrane tonight at the Sunday Strip Club. Excellent stuff.
Ade
QUOTE (Outatime @ Nov 15 2009, 09:04 PM) *
Does he still have the Black Liars as backing?

No, it was a different band. A slightly different sound too, but still top notch Country 'n' Western japery.
Zoe
Come to this! It will cost you £9.50 if you buy your ticket online and Tim Key is bloody brilliant

http://www.kingsplace.co.uk/spoken-word/co...a-and-ed-gamble
spacegurl
Saw Dylan Moran's 'What it is'. Too brief for my liking and as good as he was I thought he could've been a bit more adventurous with his material. (Not necessarily to offend or be purposely (or annoyingly) over-controversial; just felt like he was holding back, generally and could've gone a bit further..)

Also had a smoke and a chat with Reginald D Hunter.
Zoe
*plug*

We're running our “Bring A Friend” offer on Thursday 3rd of December (Lucy Porter, Gareth Richards and Regular MC Tom Deacon)

This offer entitles you to 2 tickets for the price of 1 online ticket (i.e. £9.50 in total for 2 tickets)

All you need to do is quote 'bring a friend' when you come to box office or give us a call on 020 7520 1490

That's the equivalent of £4.75 to see Lucy Porter!
ella
QUOTE (Ade @ Nov 13 2009, 11:59 PM) *

I saw him live a few years ago and he is absolutely top notch. Did he do the Rich Hall for the first half the Otis for the second?
Zoe
Yo! Join my group

http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=17...3649&ref=ts

For all you 'Thick of it' fans, Chris Addison is headlining on the 10th, with support from Colin Hoult - now that's a good line-up for £9.50
whitey
Addison's still one of the best comics I've ever seen. Go see. Also if any of you get a chance to see The Boy With Tape On His Face then do, he's awesome.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (whitey @ Dec 1 2009, 06:05 PM) *
Also if any of you get a chance to see The Boy With Tape On His Face then do, he's awesome.

Lovely guy, scary act.
Outatime
Addison's still one of the best comics I've ever seen. Go see.

Just booked tickets to see him on 4 March. Weird as he seemed to do no touring for ages and now he's been to Cambridge twice within 10 months.
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Dec 1 2009, 12:14 PM) *
For all you 'Thick of it' fans, Chris Addison is headlining on the 10th, with support from Colin Hoult - now that's a good line-up for £9.50

OH THAT'S FUCKING BRILLIANT!

Go and see Chris and Colin if you can. I'm just pissed off to be missing it.

Addison's still one of the best comics I've ever seen

High praise indeed.
Zoe
Addison's still one of the best comics I've ever seen. Go see.

whitey has spoken. I expect to see you all there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.