Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Everlong
It's my work's Xmas do on thursday, but if it's cack I know where to go! Although Kings place is creeping up to first choice.

Speaking of which, I haven't seen the latest ep. The iplayer is my friend tonight!
PrincessKate
It's been nearly a week since I went to the Store for my team's Christmas night out, and the fact it's taken me that long to even mention it probably speaks volumes about my evening.
MC Mick Ferry great but dealing with the racist, sexist cunt in front of us (and the 100% office party audience) was probably hellish for him), Jack Whitehall's act has changed considerably in the two years since I saw him at the Frog - angry and shouty rather than tired and dry.
Sarah Millican very funny but waned a bit towards the end, Justin Moorhouse and Stu Francis just very Meh.
Everyone else had fun though, I think I like my comedians more depraved and audience interactive-y.
Zoe
The 50 most memorable gigs of the decade

A personal, but interesting list.

Makes me realise how few gigs I remember!

The ones that stand out in my memory are:

Stewart Lee: Ten Best Stand-ups in the World Ever - Harry Hill + Boothby Graffoe, Bloomsbury Theatre (2008)

Al Murray: The Pub Landord, Lakeside Arts Centre (2004)

Little Britain, Drill Hall London (2001)

Colin Hoult's Carnival of Monsters, Edinburgh (2009)

The Night I went to Spank! in Edinburgh 2005 and saw Bridget Christie doing stand-up as Dan Brown

The Peacock and Gamble Podcast LIVE! Kings Place (2009)

Daniel Kitson, It's the Fireworks Talking (2007), Lincoln Drill Hall + at Nottingham Castle (2005)

Just the Tonic Tsunami Benefit Gig (2005) - for the plate smashing + Johnny Vegas meltdown

Tedstock, Bloomsbury (2006) - Lee AND Herring!

The Clock Hour, Lowdown at the Albany (2008) - The Trap + The Congress of Oddities + Michael Legge!

New Art Club: This is Now! (2009), Assembly Rooms

and of course the spectacular Michael J Dolan

At least that's what I remember - it's been a hazy decade
Kick in the Head
My favourite was most probably Sausage Night II at the Battersea Arts Centre a few years ago.

Harry Hill, Stewart Lee (this is the gig he found the little girl's ballet shoe as referenced in his Comedy Vehicle), Richard Herring, Paul Foot, Simon Amstell, Mitchell and Webb, and a couple of others I have forgotten because they probably weren't very funny/off the telly. Plus a free sausage!
PrincessKate
Pappys are venturing north, I have tickets and someone my own age to take this time.
I shall be at groin level.
Everlong
I can only remember a handful of comedy gigs, well only the recent-ish spring to mind.

Ross Noble (2007/2008?) - Awesome

Chris Rock, 2008 (o2) - Surprisingly inoffensive

Al Murray, 2009 (o2) - Surprising enjoyable, some idiots in audience though, who just don't get that it's all an act.

Marcus Brigstocke (Fringe preview The Compass, Fat Tuesdays, 2009) - Superb

Have to go Fringe one year, maybe even this year, just for a long weekend.
Rua
Stewart Lee, Enda Muldoon, Andrew Maxwell & probably the finest genius I've ever seen Doug Stanhope.
Sostie
Unlike the 90's, the noughties were a desolate time for me for attending live comedy shows. Errm, Lee Mack at King's Place last year.
Ade
QUOTE (ella @ Nov 25 2009, 05:22 PM) *
I saw him live a few years ago and he is absolutely top notch. Did he do the Rich Hall for the first half the Otis for the second?

*extremely belated response*

Yes, yes he did, and he was as funny as ever. In the first half of the show he got embroiled in a discussion with a forensic anthropologist in the front row, which allowed for some unusual but fruitful comedy mileage. Added bonus that all the songs were completely new to those I already knew, not least of all 'Fuck Disney' (which prompted a strange sense of de-ja vu when I heard it - I'm sure our Jimmay mentioned this very song at a forum gathering once...)
whitey
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 13 2010, 03:44 PM) *
and of course the spectacular Michael J Dolan

Aw, bless you my dear.
Zoe
All true.

And now a message from our (my) sponsors

Come to London's newest and greatest comedy night, every Thursday at Kings Place (thank you)
Everlong
Sarah Millican the thursday after my birthday, I like.

Jim Tavare is actually the night before it, but I'm not sure I've heard/seen him, plus I'm seeing Frankie Boyle on the day.

EDIT: too many mentions of the word 'Birthday' for one post..
whitey
Ah, Millican. I knew she'd be big. Craig Campbell is unbearably awesome and deserves to be known as far more than 'Frankie Boyle's support act' and I'm pretty sure Alun Cochrane is actually a genius. Good line ups Zoz.
Zoe
Beat the winter blues! Half price tickets for Off With Their Heads! Book tickets for any of our forthcoming Comedy events before 31 January for as little as 4.75 online. Go to our website kingsplace.co.uk and insert the promotional code SALE where prompted.
melzilla
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Jan 13 2010, 09:37 PM) *
My favourite was most probably Sausage Night II at the Battersea Arts Centre a few years ago.

Harry Hill, Stewart Lee (this is the gig he found the little girl's ballet shoe as referenced in his Comedy Vehicle), Richard Herring, Paul Foot, Simon Amstell, Mitchell and Webb, and a couple of others I have forgotten because they probably weren't very funny/off the telly. Plus a free sausage!

^ This sounds like the best night ever. Free saus = win!

I went to see Stephen K Amos tonight and he was surprisingly brilliant. He's a very 'natural' comedian, charismatic, intelligent and fun-loving, immediately building a great relationship with the audience and sustaining a great energy throughout with excellent comic timing and delivery. His tour is entitled 'The Feelgood Factor' and it really does what it says on the tin. Thoroughly enjoyable and I laughed out loud throughout. It's on for another month or so and I'd definitely recommend checking it out if it comes round your way!

I've also recently been to see Eddie Izzard, Ricky Gervais and Bill Bailey's Remarkable Guide To The Orchestra. All excellent shows, particularly Bill Bailey's, which is an absolute joy for music and comedy fans alike. It included some new stuff and some older songs and ideas re-jigged with an orchestra, but all totally brilliant. Really hope he does another one in the future!

Going to see Sean Hughes next month!
Zoe
Stewart Lee will no longer be the 41st greatest stand-up of all time

EDIT: That long list is BALLS
Rua
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 21 2010, 10:58 AM) *
EDIT: That long list is BALLS

Sheesh. It isn't half.

Edit: Kielty? Fucking Kielty? You have got to be kidding me.
Zoe
Lee but no Herring.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
There seems to be some trolling on that list.

Wasn't Peter Kay top last time? That really tells you all you need to know.
NiteFall
Yeah, but that was during Channel 4's "we'll proclaim Peter Kay to be king of the universe while giving him a blowjob" phase. I'm not sure if that policy is still in effect, but having his entire stand up routine proclaimed as the "funniest TV moment" reeked of sycophancy.
Zoe
The fact you can vote as many times as you like, could see the acts with girlie fanbases (Minchin, Brand, Howard) doing suspiciously well...
Everlong
Urggh.. Bernard Manning on there? Aside from the fact he was a total racist, his jokes were utter shit.

Plus Roy Chubby Brown. Too many outdated acts by dinosaurs.

Yet there's no Richard Herring, Marcus Brigstocke and others.

Panel of Comedy experts? Yeah right.

My votes are going to Moran, Byrne, Noble, Stewart Lee, and a few others. I've not even seen any of Addison's live material yet but throwing him a vote because of too much crap on there.
PrincessKate
No Brendon Burns, No Richard Herring, No Phil Nichol?
Who compiles these lists?
Outatime
People who only see stand ups on the tv.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
If I had to choose between Lee or Herring I'd go with Lee.

Most of my favourites are there but there are a lot of stupid choices.

I'm sure Rik Mayall has never done stand-up.
whitey
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 21 2010, 10:58 AM) *

There's only 106 names on the list. If I was any of those comedians I'd like those odds.
Llama
Got tickets for Ricky Gervais at Wembley in April. Woot.
PrincessKate
We've done Spaced Out's Top 50 Comedians before haven't we?
Or something similar, I think.
empathy-with-beast
Has Barry Humphries ever actually done stand up comedy?

Aw, Rob Newman. I liked him.
PrincessKate
Does Dame Edna not count?
empathy-with-beast
Fuck. I was thinking of someone completely different off radio 4.
Sostie
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Jan 21 2010, 07:15 PM) *

Well he was part of The Comic Strip (they were a live group long before the TV shows). He's done stand-up as Kevin Turvey, a few times as Alan B'Stard, and with Ade Edmondson as 20th Century Coyote.

But no, not someone I would automatically call a stand-up comedian.
Bloomeeney
QUOTE (Sir_Robin_the_brave @ Jan 21 2010, 07:15 PM) *

He did back in the day. I remember going to see him and Ben Elton in Lincoln in about '85 or '86 and getting my ticket signed by the both of them after the show. He was very good I seem to remember and he did his Kevin Turvey character too.
Zoe
We had a poll

http://www.spaced-out.org.uk/forums/index....2&hl=kitson

Bill Bailey won

I saw my friend Colin's new comedy play 'Frankie vs the Reptile' on Monday - it was excellent. Also, Colin thinks he looks like Basshunter and that Basshunter is 'very handsome'.

Last night we had Danielle Ward supporting Dan Antopolski and MC Tom Deacon. It was good, very good. Dan is hilarious and lovely, Tom has offered to take me out for lunch and not take his trousers down.

Adam, Ellie, Sostie, Jon and Rory will recommend I'm sure, if you don't believe my biased opinion that 'Off with their Heads!' is the best comedy night at the best venue in London
PrincessKate
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 22 2010, 10:18 AM) *

Interesting, we did ours before c4, is it time for us to do an update too?

I saw my friend Colin's new comedy play 'Frankie vs the Reptile' on Monday - it was excellent. Also, Colin thinks he looks like Basshunter and that Basshunter is 'very handsome'.

True.
I want to see Colin's current output, but that looks like it would involve getting my arse to London.
Sostie

Who the fuck voted for Joe Pasquale?

Adam, Ellie, Sostie, Jon and Rory will recommend I'm sure, if you don't believe my biased opinion that 'Off with their Heads!' is the best comedy night at the best venue in London

I indeed can. Two Sostie Thumbs-UP. Put it on the poster.
empathy-with-beast
QUOTE (Sostie @ Jan 22 2010, 10:29 AM) *
Who the fuck voted for Joe Pasquale?

A comedian, she said, is some one, she said, that makes you want to laugh, she said just by looking at them, like, Joe Pasquale.

QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 22 2010, 10:15 AM) *
Fuck. I was thinking of someone completely different off radio 4.

Barry Crier.
PrincessKate
QUOTE (empathy-with-beast @ Jan 22 2010, 11:00 AM) *
Barry Crier.

Is AWESOME.
Everlong
Just seen this on facebook...

Russell Howard , Dara O'Briain, Andy Parsons and Hugh Dennis will be joined by Chris Addison, Sarah Millican and John Bishop this Thursday (28th) on Mock The Week.

I like. Not really seen recent Mock the Week, Dave kinda overkilled it for me.
Sir_Robin_the_brave
Chris Addison is everywhere at the moment.

This is a good thing.
Zoe
The multi-talented and brilliant Colin Hoult as Len Parker.

Nottingham legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV1R9JJVEqs
PrincessKate
Classic.
Zoe
Amazing news for London based comedy fans! Our last minute replacement for Tom Stade tonight is Andrew Maxwell! He's great.

And until January 31st you can get tickets for all our comedy gigs for only 4.75. That's half price!

Why don't you join our facebook group to find out how?

http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=17...3649&ref=ts

Logo designed by Adam, name suggested by Rory - it's practically Spaced-out's official comedy night!

(plug over)
Everlong
Will possibly get a couple of tickets for the Sarah Millican one tomorrow, it all hinges on whether I can get tickets tomorrow morning to a gig which is on the same night.
Rua
Awww Tom Stade is absolute tops, but Maxwell is great.
If I lived in London I'd go & everything.
Zoe
Pshaw!

The rest of you have no excuse. I'll see you ALL at 8pm
PrincessKate
I've got a note from my mum.
Ade
If I wasn't so hopelessly skint I'd be there in a heartbeat. Every week.

I have some days off due for using up by end of March, so I will make every effort to make it down for a show soon.
Jon 79
Going to seen the live Collings & Herrin podcast on monday.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jan 28 2010, 03:55 PM) *
Pshaw!

The rest of you have no excuse. I'll see you ALL at 8pm

Best. One. Yet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.