Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Live Comedy Thread
Spaced Out Forum > Media > Comedy
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Everlong
Anecdotes about parliament and the cheeky girls. And Iraq.

OH GOOD LORD.
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (melzilla @ May 19 2010, 11:22 PM) *
Yea, Eugene was there but just did a short support slot, which was good but he wasn't actually involved in their set or anything. Perhaps that was it. Just didn't really seem 'special' enough I suppose.

Arj Barker only ran on to sing one line of 'Too Many Dicks' after his support slot. He did fall over on stage though which was one of the funniest bits!
Outatime
He did Sugarlumps too when we saw him. He did a lot of tripping over in his stand up slot.

Saw Shappi Khorsandi last night who was good, but it could have done with being a bit tighter, also she needs to ditch her brother as her support act.
Jimmay
Saw Daniel Kitson's 66a Church Street on Friday and although it was more of a one man monologue than a comedy show, it was really good. It did feel very rehearsed and scripted but then seeing him come on at the end and adlib, the severity of his stutter became apparent and made the show all the more impressive. However, this minor part of the show was the funniest and made me want to see some of his more spontaneous work if he does any.
ipse dixit
^ Seeing this in a couple of weeks. Can't wait. Kitson is an absolute master.
Zoe
I saw a preview of Colin Hoult's Edinburgh show 'Enemy of the World' last night (also starring my fragrant flatmate), it was preditably great and the line "would you like a conservatory" had me in physical pain (you probably need to see that in context)

Lots of Len Parker for the Nottingham massive to enjoy, though chatting to Colin afterwards he's planning to cut him back a bit before Edinburgh.
melzilla
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ May 20 2010, 09:02 PM) *
Arj Barker only ran on to sing one line of 'Too Many Dicks' after his support slot. He did fall over on stage though which was one of the funniest bits!

Ah, OK. Eugene had a video as part of his set which was really quite good..
sleeping_pirate
QUOTE (Jimmay @ May 25 2010, 08:58 AM) *
Saw Daniel Kitson's 66a Church Street on Friday and although it was more of a one man monologue than a comedy show, it was really good. It did feel very rehearsed and scripted but then seeing him come on at the end and adlib, the severity of his stutter became apparent and made the show all the more impressive. However, this minor part of the show was the funniest and made me want to see some of his more spontaneous work if he does any.

I didn't realise he had a bad stutter?
Zoe
QUOTE (sleeping_pirate @ May 26 2010, 10:26 PM) *

Have you ever seen him live? It's quite pronounced sometimes.

Tonight's comedy at Kings Place is cancelled (boo!)

We have a BIG TV star doing unannouced warm-up every Thursday night in June (yeah!)

I can't list it anywhere, but if you ask me I might tell you...
Jessopjessopjessop

I didn't realise you said everything like AN AUSTRALIAN?
Rua

QUOTE (Jessopjessopjessop @ May 27 2010, 02:08 PM) *
I didn't realise you said everything like AN AUSTRALIAN?

Ha.
Jimmay
QUOTE (Rua @ May 27 2010, 03:27 PM) *
Ha.

Oh riiiiiight?
Rua
QUOTE (Jimmay @ May 27 2010, 04:03 PM) *
Oh riiiiiight?

Ha?
Ade
QUOTE (Rua @ May 27 2010, 04:11 PM) *
Ha?

Ha.
Rua
QUOTE (Ade @ May 27 2010, 04:15 PM) *
Ha.

Success.
melzilla
Not sure if this is classed as 'comedy' or 'theatre' or both, but I'm booking some tickets this week for Charlie Ross's One-Man Lord of the Rings. (After seeing the Star Wars Trilogy I just couldn't resist!) He's touring September-ish time. (I'm guessing he'll be at the Fringe, too, for all you Edinburgh-ites!) Definitely worth checking out I think.
Jimmay
QUOTE (melzilla @ Jun 1 2010, 10:41 PM) *
Not sure if this is classed as 'comedy' or 'theatre' or both, but I'm booking some tickets this week for Charlie Ross's One-Man Lord of the Rings. (After seeing the Star Wars Trilogy I just couldn't resist!) He's touring September-ish time. (I'm guessing he'll be at the Fringe, too, for all you Edinburgh-ites!) Definitely worth checking out I think.

I saw it at Easter and it is very good, although not as funny as I was expecting. There were a number of jokes that I thought could have been quite easily put in here and there and was surprised he hadn't done it. It is really well done though and well worth seeing.
Zoe
Our preview line-up is on sale. Tickets are only a tenner for both full previews

Roisin Conaty + The Comedy Zone
Time: 19:30 (Friday 16 July)
Venue: Hall Two

Sadie Hasler + Nat Luurtsema
Time: 19:30 (Saturday 17 July)

Dan Antopolski + Russell Kane
Time: 19:30 (Monday 19 July)

Jimmy Mcghie + Richard Herring
Time: 19:30 (Tuesday 20 July)

Simon Brodkin + Alex Horne
Time: 19:30 (Wednesday 21 July)

Gareth Richards + Greg Davies
Time: 19:30 (Thursday 22 July)

Domestic Goddi + Dan Antopolski
Time: 19:30 (Friday 23 July)

Sadie Hasler + Comedy Zone
Time: 19:30 (Saturday 24 July)

Domestic Goddi + Simon Brodkin
Time: 19:30 (Sunday 25 July)

Chris Ramsey + Richard Herring
Time: 19:30 (Monday 26 July)

Laura Solon + Alex Horne
Time: 19:30 (Wednesday 28 July)

Jimmy Mcghie + Greg Davies
Time: 19:30 (Thursday 29 July)

Nat Luurtsema + Gareth Richards
Time: 19:30 (Friday 30 July)

Roisin Conaty + Chris Addison
Time: 19:30 (Saturday 31 July)

Laura Solon + Chris Addison
Time: 19:30 (Sunday 1 August)

Also, we have a special guest act on the 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th of June. I can't tell you who it is, but it's very 'good news'...
Serafina_Pekkala
Laura Solon

I love her. Does she have new material for Embra?
Zoe
Why yes it is a whole hour of new material - and to think you could see her and him out of 'The Thick of it' for only a tenner the pair!
Serafina_Pekkala
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 2 2010, 11:14 AM) *
Why yes it is a whole hour of new material - and to think you could see her and him out of 'The Thick of it' for only a tenner the pair!

If I'm there, I'M THERE!! Laura & Chris - ooo er. 3s UP.

New material is brillz
ella
Just booked tickets to see Sarah Millican at the Norden Farm Arts Centre in October. Nice one to look forward to.
Rua
Well, I still have to get over for work now the Ash cloud has gone. Perhaps I can play deaf for a week or two then book to coincide with one if the shows.

Yes, I like this idea.
melzilla
Excellent line-up Zoz! Great work.
Zoe
Comedy was SO good last night

Joe Wilkinson is just brilliant, Ray Peacock was on amazing form, Phil Kay was a force of nature and Russell Howard surprised the audience with a guest-spot

He'll be trying out new material every Thursday in June.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 4 2010, 04:26 PM) *
Comedy was SO good last night

Joe Wilkinson is just brilliant, Ray Peacock was on amazing form, Phil Kay was a force of nature and Russell Howard surprised the audience with a guest-spot

He'll be trying out new material every Thursday in June.

Shoulda gone. But I've been majorly busy at woik and had too much to do on Thursday. Will try to make it next week.
Zoe
It was probably my second favourite so far, after Greg Davies which was just a corking night all round.

When are you off traveling again? The 17th looks set to be great.
PrincessKate
I'm trying to finalise what I'm going to see in Edinburgh so I can start booking, but only the Stand has a full bookable line up. I also have to narrow it down to less than ten acts, for financial reasons, which is tough.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Jun 5 2010, 10:26 AM) *
It was probably my second favourite so far, after Greg Davies which was just a corking night all round.

When are you off traveling again? The 17th looks set to be great.

I just don't know - I was supposed to be in South Africa this weekend, now I might not be going at all. But they haven't given me any assurances or confirmation that that will be the case. Still don't know if they'll let me go to Glastonbury!
Zoe
Russell put it on his facebook page.

He has over 400,000 fans - I now love him
PrincessKate
I have embarked on the purchasing of Scottish Comedy.
Thus far Greg Davies and Colin Hoult on my birthday.
This might be the best birthday, ever.
Zoe
Everlong
The Greg Davies and Chris Addison ones at the end of the month ones are quite tempting, I'll have moneys at that point of the month. And the later Russel Kane one I could do.

*strokes imaginary beard* I shall consult friends.
Henry Krinkle
I watched quite a bit of comedy at Glastonbury, but have to share what happened at the gig that Ian Cognito did on the final night. Mainly because it was like a scene from a comedians biopic, in which they reach an absolute low by having a drug-fuelled meltdown on stage.
At many points, I started to assume that the whole thing was part of the act, and that I was watching some sort of performance piece.

To cut a long story (quite) short, he fluffed a punchline about 10 minutes in, and admitted he had taken a lot of drugs back stage. Then he started to get stuck in a little loop of the same 5-10 jokes. It was here that I assumed he was doing a frazzled character bit, or was going for the whole 'the more times I repeat the same joke the funnier it gets' thing. Sometimes the jokes were exactly as he told them before, sometimes he managed to get a bit more of the puncline out than the previous go.
There seemed to be genuine concern from the crew and stage manager, who watched from the side. However, they weren't close enough to stop him making an impromptu stage dive into nothing but a throatful of crowd barrier.
The next twenty minutes consisted of the stage manager trying to convince Cognito to leave the stage and get medical attention whilst he continued to recite his loop of 10 jokes in a very croaky voice.
Ed Burn, who was up afterwards, came out to watch for a few minutes, but left after looking unimpressed and disappointed.
I'm still not sure if the whole thing was an Andy Kaufman style spot or not. Riveting.

Zoe
Russell Howard at Kings Place!

Random Musings on the 3rd & 20th of August & the 3rd of September

Work in Progress on the 21st, 22nd and 23rd of December

Get your tickets here! (only 9.50)

http://www.kingsplace.co.uk/spoken-word/co...you-laughing-at
Zoe
If anyone is planning on seeing any Edinburgh previews in London, can you please come and see them at my venue? It's very nice

Thanks!

EDIT: As I don't always just plug my gigs, I sometimes plug my friends gigs, I can guarantee this whole week will be amazing

Colin Hoult's Carnival Week
Everlong
Probably going to come to any of the previews after the 27th. On my own too! (Sick of mates not bothering).
sleeping_pirate
Definitely going to get tickets to see Stephen K. Amos at Southampton Guildhall next May.
Jon 79
Saw Stewart Lee, Richard Herring and Josie Long (and someone else who's name escapes me) last night. Brilliant gig.
Rich was the compare. His improv is so good, it's often funnier then his written material.
weputthemdown583
That has to be the best avatar ever sleeping pirate.

"And second-of-ly, I know you're the big marriage expert - oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, your wife is dead!"
sleeping_pirate
Ha ha, cheers!
crazeegems
Have just arrived home from Latitude Festival. Enjoyed:

David O' Doherty (My favourite)
Russell Kane
Seann Walsh
Angelos Epithemiou
Micky Flanagan

Didn't enjoy Miles Jupp

And I'm in love with Daniel Kitson.

Zoe
If you do buy tickets for the previews use this Guardian offer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/extra/2010/jul/2...-fringe-preview

Get free tix for the festival, lots of music, or comedy from Tom Basden, Jenny Eclair and Rob Deering
PrincessKate
My tickets for Colin & Greg (which I cannot use) arrived today.
*sigh* Gumtree might be my best bet.
Zoe
I'm in Edinburgh so can't go, but there's a chance to see Armstrong and Miller in a tiny setting next week

http://www.canalcafetheatre.com/EventPage.php?EventId=741

I'd get tix quick.
Outatime
I've already got my tickets to see the tour in November otherwise I'd go.
Zoe
Out of the 15 or so I saw these are the 4 * shows

- An Hour of Telly Live
- Colin Hoult: Enemy of the World
- Nick Mohammad is Mr Swallow
- The Penny Dreadfuls
- WitTank
- No Son of Mine

and the one 5 * show

- Russell Kane: Smokescreens and Castles

The preview was excellent and such a development from what I've seen him do before, but the Edinburgh show was tighter and he's added an ending which completely blew me away. I gave my first ever standing ovation at a comedy gig.

Really recommend you see this if it comes to your town.
Kick in the Head
QUOTE (Zoe @ Aug 21 2010, 03:54 PM) *
Out of the 15 or so I saw these are the 4 * shows

- An Hour of Telly Live
- Colin Hoult: Enemy of the World
- Nick Mohammad is Mr Swallow
- The Penny Dreadfuls
- WitTank
- No Son of Mine

and the one 5 * show

- Russell Kane: Smokescreens and Castles

The preview was excellent and such a development from what I've seen him do before, but the Edinburgh show was tighter and he's added an ending which completely blew me away. I gave my first ever standing ovation at a comedy gig.

Really recommend you see this if it comes to your town.

The preview of Kane was pretty remarkable. My brother swore by WitTank last year - I think he saw their show twice, maybe thrice.

Last night, saw Neil Hamburger at Soho Theatre, which was a glorious hour (I think - it really zipped by) of poor taste zingers delivered by a sad, phlegmy, greasy, washed-up, near-death drunk. The audience was clearly one made up of fans, who knew his catchphrase and several of his punchlines, which led to some great reverse heckling (and a strange obsession with the new Marmaduke movie). Mostly obscene gags about celebrities, including one lengthy Michael Jackson routine which culminated in quite possibly the loudest roar of laughter I've ever heard from an audience from one punchline. And a fair few gasps, oofs, and inhalations of breath. If you've got the stomach and the patience, one of the finest character comedians you're likely to see.
Zoe
QUOTE (Kick in the Head @ Aug 24 2010, 11:43 PM) *
The preview of Kane was pretty remarkable.

He had a new ending, which was even more remarkable. I understand why he didn't include it in the previews if I tell you it made me cry you'll probably guess what it was. He'll get famous off this show I think.

Also! WitTank at Kings Place on the 23rd of Sept in a sketch night special with Two Episodes of Mash (a double act including the amazing Joe Wilkinson).

Bring your brother - everyone bring their brothers, it'll be brilliant/
PrincessKate
Thing what used to be the Perrier nominees announced.
Stellar line up of nominees there, I'd be happy to see any of them win, though my allegiance primarily lies with Shropshire-Lad Mr Davies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.